• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT3| It's good, but it's not right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went in expecting bad and it was worse.

Like, nothing terrible in that there were bad announcements, but absolutely nothing for the industry. Their insistence on the life of the 360 (and Sony too to be fair) has led to stagnation of the industry, and their new console is not really set to appeal to a wider market. Sure, TV and ESPN and stuff should be mass market - but guess what? People watch TV! They didn't have a AND SEE HOW IT'S BETTER thing. You know how quick it is for me to swap between game and TV? I press a controller button. Oh and I can't get it in the UK. Oh I can have a sidebar on my TV? That's great, I already use my tablet. We've already moved on. You're too late.

I mainly use my Xbox as a media thing for Netflix, iPlayer and Sky Go. Give me a reason to give you £400 to do that when I'm happy as is.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Phil Harrison has destroyed my fucking mind. A fellow brit! And I can't even think straight!

But what if you want to bring a game disc to a friend's house and play there? You'll have to pay a fee—and not just some sort of activation fee, but the actual price of that game—in order to use a game's code on a friend's account. "Think of it like a new game", Harrison says.

MY MIND, CHARLES.

Hystzen

Despite being the dominant player, at least Valve has plenty of competition in the PC digital space.

Yeah Valve at least do crash sale prices and bundles for games I doubt MS will

My favorite quote from Harrison is
You'll have to connect to the Internet in order to authorize that code, and the code can only be used once. Once you use it, that game will then be linked to your Xbox Live account. "It sits on your harddrive and you have permission to play that game as long as you’d like," Harrison said.

thank you for permission to play the game I bought

SteveWD40

I don't see the casual / sports fans flocking to buy a £400 / $400 box when their current Xbox does all that shit.

It's the core gamers MS are so embarrassed of that pay launch prices. I really see this thing flopping as a console until it's cheap enough for the masses, PS4 seems more attractive by a long way right now.

Suairyu

Banned
To be honest this is just further incentive for me to switch to a PC+Handheld only future.

My Rock Band music on 360 and thegamecompany/naughtydog games on PS3 are the only things that make me pause and think I might want a console next gen, and as backwards compatibility is out the window they're not particularly big pauses.

Hystzen

I think it time I go PC again ever since my old laptop went to shit I left that game really

PC with PS4 (if Sony pay attention to all negative press and reasons why about xboxone) be sorted for me

First launch title revealed

mOlvjl8.jpg

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
To be honest this is just further incentive for me to switch to a PC+Handheld only future.

My Rock Band music on 360 and thegamecompany/naughtydog games on PS3 are the only things that make me pause and think I might want a console next gen, and as backwards compatibility is out the window they're not particularly big pauses.

Let's hope they can do something good with gaikai. The news coming out about needing to be online, is making the X1 look pretty poor.

Hystzen

Sony will fuck up E3 by announcing
  • Similar Online Policy
  • Similar Serial key for games
  • sub for online

If they avoid anything like that I think they could get some solid sales with more hardcore gamers but mainstream won't care and lap up the X1

Hystzen

I predict they do none of those three things.

At a push, maybe they do the serial key.

by logic some Sony reps would be keeping tabs on reactions from press and gaming crowd but this is Sony so who knows.

They already coy over used games with the "its up to publisher" comment so that i expect but the X1 has to connect to internet once every 24 hours is bizarre.

what happens when it does not ? convince your TV to break up with you

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
I'm actually glad I didnt watch that in real time as fuck me I would've had to go to work majorly pissed

Xbox

Dont go home because your drunk

Go home and kill yourself

Sony will fuck up E3 by announcing
  • Similar Online Policy
  • Similar Serial key for games
  • sub for online

If they avoid anything like that I think they could get some solid sales with more hardcore gamers but mainstream won't care and lap up the X1

Exactly.

Lirlond

Wow they've killed preowned games lol.

Costs will go up because of licensing the right to sell preowned.

Then when you pay for your game you need to pay again to play it. Wow. Gg Microsoft

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
Wow they've killed preowned games lol.

Costs will go up because of licensing the right to sell preowned.

Then when you pay for your game you need to pay again to play it. Wow. Gg Microsoft

STOP TALKING ABOUT IT

I have no jimmies left to rustle

Suairyu

Banned
4am, and I've managed to re-do one third of the video encodes that I realised I cocked up two weeks ago.

The editor will just have to make do with that tomorrow. I can't do this anymore tonight.

'night all.

P.S. I was thinking once I find myself without a job at the conclusion of my current contract I might travel the UK a bit to see some sights. I hope I can count on your couches.

Chinner

Banned
if you come to thailand bro. i cant take you to all the places where the thai girls look for white men and countless ping pong shows.

just taught kindergarten for the first time. oh my god those rooms have no air-con. its so tiring.

its like

heads
shoulder
knees and toes

forever

where am i.

am i real/

heads shoulders
kneeds and
toes

is this my reality.

where am i

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Can't wait to chill out on my sofa and shout xbox ON, I can't fucking wait.

Gaming is back

if you come to thailand bro. i cant take you to all the places where the thai girls look for white men and countless ping pong shows.

just taught kindergarten for the first time. oh my god those rooms have no air-con. its so tiring.

its like

heads
shoulder
knees and toes

forever

where am i.

am i real/

heads shoulders
kneeds and
toes

is this my reality.

where am i

Chinner is experiencing hell already while he's still alive

Jordan

So, I went out straight after the reveal and when I got in - it was straight to bed. Having caught up with the chat going on in here... All I can say is, I like this xbox.

Probably only the physical look of the xbox though, the name is just sad, the hour long conference was extremely pointless.

Do I want to talk to my tv? Probably not
Do I want to watch tv on my xbox? Depends how lazy I'm feeling, if they can support working alongside with my TiVo box then fine.
Do I care about FIFA or Madden? Not really
Do I care about the dog in COD? Yes :( If they kill it, and I'm attached to it, I will go on a murder rampage and I don't mean in game (Damn you I Am Legend)

I may have put a pre-order down already at my local video game shop, I am definitely excited.

On a completely different note, does anyone here drive and have friends try and use them for their car? I had it for the first time ever with my best friend yesterday, he was going to play football quite close to my house and I was going to pick him up from his house and drive there. I get a text at 7, an hour before he was supposed to be there "I'm still with Sabrina, can you pick me up" - Sabrina lives like twenty minutes away, and I'm nowhere near ready and need to get fuel. He's never done this before and it really pissed me off, I think he gathered that when I got there and then offered me fuel money (baring in mind, it's only about 5 miles away and he gave me a tenner) so I sort of just let it slide, but if he does it again - do I just keep on taking money and think "profit" or shall I bring him up on it and say it isn't cool and he needs to sort his life out?

Back Story - My friend is definitely in the friendzone with this Sabrina girl, they hang out all the time, he clearly likes her, gets pissed off when he see's her with other guys and she comes back to him every day bitching about one guy or another.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I'm actually glad I didnt watch that in real time as fuck me I would've had to go to work majorly pissed
That's why you go in with low expectations (especially as MS has basically been leading up to this with their past E3s) and you just have fun mocking it with the rest of us. You missed out.

I read a live blog of the Xbox One announcement last night.

First things first, I really like the design of the Xbox One and I also like how the controller hasn't changed that much.

However I am one of these people who doesn't give a shit about the TV side of it (not that it'll be fully fledged in the UK) or the social side of it. Sure I have friends on my Xbox Live list but we don't 'hang out' on Xbox Live whilst watching a show etc and I don't use Skype. I only really care about the gaming side of things and from what I saw last night I need to see more to make my mind up. There is some confusion about second hand games and friends and family being able to borrow games but I have a sneaking suspicion that whatever Microsoft decide on, Sony will do the same.

My hype meter - 3/10.

Right now I'd rather buy another 680 for SLI goodness than preorder the Xbox One but knowing me I'll do both as I have more money than sense.

I just want to add, I saw plenty of space on the GUI for advert placements. This has been a big bugbear of mine for a while. I'm essentially paying a subscription to play online and have adverts shoved in my face. If Xbox Live Gold subscribers had no adverts or even reduced adverts I'd be happier.

NinjaBoiX

It was all so sickeningly corporate.

"Thanks for speaking to me Matt. I imagine you're excited to talk about our partners at ESPN."

ceI6Xkf.gif

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
between windows 8 and this new xbox people might think MS are making products no one wants

NinjaBoiX

This bit from Phil Harrison:

Eurogamer said:
"The bits are on your hard drive. At the end of the play session, when I take my disc home - or even if I leave it with you - if you want to continue to play that game [on your profile] then you have to pay for it. The bits are already on your hard drive, so it's just a question of going to our [online] store and buying the game, and then it's instantly available to play.

"The bits that are on the disc, I can give to anybody else, but if we both want to play it at the same time, we both have to own it. That's no different to how discs operate today."
W9RLEJz.gif

Is he taking the piss? Does he think we're morons?

On a completely different note, does anyone here drive and have friends try and use them for their car? I had it for the first time ever with my best friend yesterday, he was going to play football quite close to my house and I was going to pick him up from his house and drive there. I get a text at 7, an hour before he was supposed to be there "I'm still with Sabrina, can you pick me up" - Sabrina lives like twenty minutes away, and I'm nowhere near ready and need to get fuel. He's never done this before and it really pissed me off, I think he gathered that when I got there and then offered me fuel money (baring in mind, it's only about 5 miles away and he gave me a tenner) so I sort of just let it slide, but if he does it again - do I just keep on taking money and think "profit" or shall I bring him up on it and say it isn't cool and he needs to sort his life out?

Back Story - My friend is definitely in the friendzone with this Sabrina girl, they hang out all the time, he clearly likes her, gets pissed off when he see's her with other guys and she comes back to him every day bitching about one guy or another.

I don't have friends asking for lifts or anything, but my boyfriend does usually drive when he goes off mountain biking with his mates, and sometimes they go pretty far away. They never offer petrol money, which drives him bonkers, but he's way too polite to say anything. It's gotten to the point where if we arrange to go anywhere I work out the petrol cost and ask them for it beforehand. May seem petty, but for example in a couple of weeks we're driving to Scotland, and there's no way we're footing the whole petrol bill for that.

I find that if we just ask for money they're fine about it though, they have no issue paying, they just never think to offer it themselves.

If your mate is offering you money straight up, I don't think you should be bothered about giving him lifts now and them, just make it clear you're not his bitch and will not be at his beck and call.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom