• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT3| It's good, but it's not right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Xbox must be Kinnected every 24 hours to function properly.

herc-carver-huh-the-wire.gif

I really got to support my girlfriend through the first few boring episodes of the wire so she gets into it.

I really got to support my girlfriend through the first few boring episodes of the wire so she gets into it.

I couldn't get people past episode 6. They wouldn't believe the book analogy that I gave them- they had to finish the series at least before judging it.

Their loss though. Dat end of season payoff.

NinjaBoiX

Man, Carver's face at the end!

But seriously, fuck you MS. I can live with the underwhelming reveal and heavy handed corporate message, but why are you lying to customers straight up?

"If you take a disc round to your mates and he decides he wants to play it on his account, he needs to buy it again, just like it works now."

That's not how it works now! Why are you making shit up? Don't you think we'll notice?

It's fucking insulting quite frankly.

SKINNER!

Banned
if you come to thailand bro. i cant take you to all the places where the thai girls look for white men and countless ping pong shows.

just taught kindergarten for the first time. oh my god those rooms have no air-con. its so tiring.

its like

heads
shoulder
knees and toes

forever

where am i.

am i real/

heads shoulders
kneeds and
toes

is this my reality.

where am i

Corrupting the youth of Thailand already. Bless! Just wait until finger-painting day. What a warzone that'll be. Sucks about the air-con though...that takes me back.

So it's probably obvious to some folk but it just dawned to me this morning as to why Microsoft were plugging their new Xbox One as an "Entertainment hub" rather than a games console. They're more concerned about that Apple TV rumour than the PS4 and Wii-U.

Wiseblade

Corrupting the youth of Thailand already. Bless! Just wait until finger-painting day. What a warzone that'll be. Sucks about the air-con though...that takes me back.

So it's probably obvious to some folk but it just dawned to me this morning as to why Microsoft were plugging their new Xbox One as an "Entertainment hub" rather than a games console. They're more concerned about that Apple TV rumour than the PS4 and Wii-U.

Samsung are killing Sony in the smart TV market but the PS4 was still promoted as a games console and not a home entertainment device.

Jordan

I don't have friends asking for lifts or anything, but my boyfriend does usually drive when he goes off mountain biking with his mates, and sometimes they go pretty far away. They never offer petrol money, which drives him bonkers, but he's way too polite to say anything. It's gotten to the point where if we arrange to go anywhere I work out the petrol cost and ask them for it beforehand. May seem petty, but for example in a couple of weeks we're driving to Scotland, and there's no way we're footing the whole petrol bill for that.

I find that if we just ask for money they're fine about it though, they have no issue paying, they just never think to offer it themselves.

If your mate is offering you money straight up, I don't think you should be bothered about giving him lifts now and them, just make it clear you're not his bitch and will not be at his beck and call.

Yeah, it's sucky being too polite to ask for money. I've done it before where I've paid for things by card for others and then totally forgotten to ask and I've clicked and heard them talking about it and I'm just like :/ some people really will do anything for something free.

I'm definitely not his bitch though.

SKINNER!

Banned
Does anyone here drive and have friends try and use them for their car?

Not really. If I happen to go somewhere then I'd usually offer someone a lift if their destination is on my way but if they like called me at 4am asking me to pick them up then I'll just tell them to piss off.

Back Story - My friend is definitely in the friendzone with this Sabrina girl, they hang out all the time, he clearly likes her, gets pissed off when he see's her with other guys and she comes back to him every day bitching about one guy or another.

...ouch. That won't end well.

I don't have friends asking for lifts or anything, but my boyfriend does usually drive when he goes off mountain biking with his mates, and sometimes they go pretty far away. They never offer petrol money, which drives him bonkers, but he's way too polite to say anything. It's gotten to the point where if we arrange to go anywhere I work out the petrol cost and ask them for it beforehand. May seem petty, but for example in a couple of weeks we're driving to Scotland, and there's no way we're footing the whole petrol bill for that.

I find that if we just ask for money they're fine about it though, they have no issue paying, they just never think to offer it themselves.

If your mate is offering you money straight up, I don't think you should be bothered about giving him lifts now and them, just make it clear you're not his bitch and will not be at his beck and call.

I don't think anyone would consider it impolite to ask for petrol money these days. That stuff ain't cheap (and you'll know that if you're actually calculating it!).

Personally, I'd let my mates slide if it's a fairly short distance but once you get up to, say, about 50 miles I reckon they should chip in.

Jordan

Not really. If I happen to go somewhere then I'd usually offer someone a lift if their destination is on my way but if they like called me at 4am asking me to pick them up then I'll just tell them to piss off.

...ouch. That won't end well.

It really won't end well. There's a small child involved too!

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Man, Carver's face at the end!

But seriously, fuck you MS. I can live with the underwhelming reveal and heavy handed corporate message, but why are you lying to customers straight up?

"If you take a disc round to your mates and he decides he wants to play it on his account, he needs to buy it again, just like it works now."

That's not how it works now! Why are you making shit up? Don't you think we'll notice?

It's fucking insulting quite frankly.

But wait, I think I understand where they're coming from. If you take your game to a friend's house (omg I do this all the time at sleepovers) then you'll probably have to sign into your live account to play it there. The game is installed onto his harddrive, but it's played through your account. So yeah, when you leave he would have to buy a licence to play the installed game afterwards.

The big deal... where is it?

I'm to even going to get into the internet reacting like we're still in primary school and are constantly doing swapsies. It's a storm in a teacup, I buy 99% of the games I play, I only rarely borrow.

EDIT: I also just did my hot chocolate in tea idea. It's weird.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well the obvious deal if that you can't lend a game because they still have to sign in with your account to play it if you leave the disc there (but as we know the disc is worthless so it doesn't matter who has it).

Sure you may not being into lending games but one can't deny there are people (especially the younger generation) who do.

Renting games will be impossible.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well as they say, every cloud has a silver lining.

The problem for XBox One is that it requires Gold.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Well the obvious deal if that you can't lend a game because they still have to sign in with your account to play it if you leave the disc there (but as we know the disc is worthless so it doesn't matter who has it).

Sure you may not being into lending games but one can't deny there are people (especially the younger generation) who do.

Renting games will be impossible.

Indeed. But the response to what will be an occasional inconvenience is pretty disproportionate, and we don't even know all the details yet, I'm sure more of the nuts and bolts functionality will come out.

tbh the response on GAF feels like people were hyped ready to hate it, and they're jumping on some fairly insubstantial issues as game breakers.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
I couldn't get people past episode 6. They wouldn't believe the book analogy that I gave them- they had to finish the series at least before judging it.

Their loss though. Dat end of season payoff.

Once the team gets together and they start the investigation you finally get a real idea of what the shows about.

NinjaBoiX

Jed, you know, I'd always be willing to lend you exciting, blockbuster games for your Xbox One Entertainment System with exclusive content to Xbox Live, but they won't let me.

See how it's a big deal now?

THEY WON'T LET ME!

I'm trying to make light of the situation, but sorry, that sucks balls. I often lend my pals games, I own it, I'm not currently playing it, help yourself. But MS obviously think that is crazy talk.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Jed, you know, I'd always be willing to lend you exciting, blockbuster games for your Xbox One Entertainment System with exclusive content to Xbox Live, but they won't let me.

See how it's a big deal now?

THEY WON'T LET ME!

I'm trying to make light of the situation, but sorry, that sucks balls. I often lend my pals games, I own it, I'm not currently playing it, help yourself. But MS obviously think that is crazy talk.

I lend games out all the time too, although I don't see much in the way of return trades (or to be fair, I hardly see the games again, I've lost track of what I once had). So really, my cheap mates are missing out, not me :p

I do think MS have something for the used/rental market that they're not saying yet, but I'm finding it hard to get as rankled as some others about this.

Basically I'm being my usual contrarian self - if a hundred people bitch about something, I need to be the lone voice saying "err, I'm alright with this"

The only failure I saw from yesterday was a severe lack of games shown. The tech looks cool and I'm excited for an always-online future.

I'm glad I've got my laptop back. My eyes were crossed from the mobile version (it's still pretty good though, one of the better mobile sites I've seen).

I was mildly disappointed with the Xbox One reveal. The name gave me a chuckle since it reminded me of the X-1 from The Venture Bros. I think I was heading back towards Sony anyway. I'm tired of having to pay for Gold for a majority of the features on a console. MY Gold is up in a few weeks and I don't want to renew. I'm still really enjoying Injustice online though, so I might just get a 3-month or something. The TV stuff doesn't affect me because I can get even less of it than you can in the UK.

I liked the name to begin with, but now I'm just getting confused by it.

Ugh.

edit: yeah the Wii U is suddenly tantalising as fuck. You just put the game in, it works, and it'll eventually have Smash Bros.? Shit, sign me the fuck up.

SteveWD40

So who is going to be Xbone'd this year?

Seems like a pile of horseshit to me, would rather have a Wii U.

I am all mobile these days, between PC indie games on my laptop, iOS and the soon to be picked up 3DSXL I doubt I would even have time for a console.

If I did, probably PS4 simply due to the fact it's actually a console, and yeah, I would rather have a Wii U than the US Tivo Microsoft are hating to refer to as a "games" console.

Sad to see the guys who spearheaded online gaming in the living room treat it with such disdain.

SKINNER!

Banned
So who is going to be Xbone'd this year?

Looking forward to that list of launch & 15 exclusive titles. Only game I really want to play is Watchdogs. If nothing tickles my fancy then I won't be getting a console at launch.

...wait, I'm pretty sure I said earlier in this thread that I won't pick up any consoles next gen. Fuuuuuuck yoooou hypetrain!!

XBONE launch probably gonna be something like:

-CoD
-Forza
-Rare Kinect IP
-Henry Rollings Presents: ACIV Black Flag
-Watch_Dogs
-NFS 2013
-EA Sports

I forget what else is due. Oh care, really.

Where have you drawn this conclusion from? All the games they showed?

Lack of really.

I am all mobile these days, between PC indie games on my laptop, iOS and the soon to be picked up 3DSXL I doubt I would even have time for a console.

If I did, probably PS4 simply due to the fact it's actually a console, and yeah, I would rather have a Wii U than the US Tivo Microsoft are hating to refer to as a "games" console.

Sad to see the guys who spearheaded online gaming in the living room treat it with such disdain.

Indeed. I knew this is where it was going for MS, but I didn't figure on them going into it so massively.

Looking forward to that list of launch & 15 exclusive titles. Only game I really want to play is Watchdogs. If nothing tickles my fancy then I won't be getting a console at launch.

...wait, I'm pretty sure I said earlier in this thread that I won't pick up any consoles next gen. Fuuuuuuck yoooou hypetrain!!

9x Kinect games, 3x Online/XBLA style games rest full retail games. That's my guess for E3. Watch_dogs will be on PC and PS4 also and it will likely be better on those platforms.

-CoD
-Forza
-Rare Kinect IP
-Watch_Dogs
-NFS 2013
-EA Sports

Exactly this line up.

NinjaBoiX

Lack of really.
Oh right, so it was all the games we didn't see that made the console look like garbage.

Gotcha.

Why not wait until we actually see some games before deciding? You have very little to base an opinion on at the moment.

Comment on their strategy and such, but "it looks like horseshit" as an entirely pointless and baseless argument at the minute with no actual games to speak of.

8bit

Knows the Score

-CoD
-Forza
-Rare Kinect IP
-Watch_Dogs
-NFS 2013
-EA Sports

Ryse
Family Game (Rare Kinect IP?)
Zombie Game

f0rk

Fz5NHa8.gif

15 exclusives in a year doesn't even sound that good. How much Kinect shit did they shovel out for the launch of that
Their EA 'partnership' was pretty weak as well

Interesting talking about this whole shebang with friends. And by "interesting", I mean I don't understand why they view getting fucked by corporations as perfectly acceptable.

Ryse
Family Game (Rare Kinect IP?)
Zombie Game

Shit, forgot about those bangers. (OK, so Ryse could be cool. It's been in development for so long it better be!)

Darren870

I'll probably hold off. Not that I would buy a console in the UK anyways.

If XBLA games don't port over then I'm kinda stuck. That's all I really play now a days and wouldn't want to run to buy a new console when I have a large backlog.

Oh right, so it was all the games we didn't see that made the console look like garbage.

Gotcha.

Why not wait until we actually see some games before deciding? You have very little to base an opinion on at the moment.

Comment on their strategy and such, but "it looks like horseshit" as an entirely pointless and baseless argument at the minute with no actual games to speak of.

The TV service looks pointless, especially in the UK where pay TV platforms are very, very tightly controlled. I have a Nexus 7 so I would never use the split screen browser functions while watching a movie or gaming, I don't watch NFL and don't care about fantasy league crap. I really don't want to watch some SyFy style low budget series loosely based on the Halo universe with Steven Spielberg's name attached to it to get viewers in.

I liked the look of Forza 5, but GT6 is out this year so I'm all set for racing games.

I also couldn't care less about Kinect, so the game line up will have to be based on traditional games rather than that Kinect dross, something I don't believe will happen.

Also the box looked very ugly. Like an old VCR or chunky DVD player from the nineties.

I'll probably hold off. Not that I would buy a console in the UK anyways.

If XBLA games don't port over then I'm kinda stuck. That's all I really play now a days and wouldn't want to run to buy a new console when I have a large backlog.

I barely buy anything digitally on my PS3 for this reason. I've held out successfully for a disc version of Journey so far. Not long till I get it actually.

SKINNER!

Banned
Man, I can't wait until the meetup now. I just know I'll be having a 30 minute discussion/rant with zomg about video games and where its heading.

f0rk

The TV service looks pointless, especially in the UK where pay TV platforms are very, very tightly controlled. I have a Nexus 7 so I would never use the split screen browser functions while watching a movie or gaming, I don't watch NFL and don't care about fantasy league crap. I really don't want to watch some SyFy style low budget series loosely based on the Halo universe with Steven Spielberg's name attached to it to get viewers in.

I liked the look of Forza 5, but GT6 is out this year so I'm all set for racing games.

I also couldn't care less about Kinect, so the game line up will have to be based on traditional games rather than that Kinect dross, something I don't believe will happen.

Also the box looked very ugly. Like an old VCR or chunky DVD player from the nineties.

I agree with everything except the Halo TV show, that does have a chance considering Spielberg produced Band of Brothers. It probably won't be that but still, not going to write it off yet.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
xbox one! :lol: Fuck me they have gone full on American cable box. The only thing that sucks big time for me is Remedy is with them :( PS4 for me it is!

Also fellow brits, I think I have just lost with my crazy ex fiance who messaged me and tried to get my attention and by doing so had made me quite annoyed and then said some not nice things and then she reversed them and made me feel bad. She knows how to play me good she does in order to make herself feel better. She's been trying to get my attention or some kind of shit before I head back home and escape Leicester in two weeks. Should I just change my number so there's no chance of her contacting me again so reality sinks into her head that I've moved on? I hate when she is able to do this to me and make me stoop down to her level :lol:

Crazy women I tell you!

So everyone is raging about xbone concentrating on all the other stuff it can do and not gaming.

The thing is, I use my ps3 as my bluray player, so really it's not just a games console to me. I guess MS are just trying to muscle in on this side of it.

Plus, we like technology that does everything, just look at smartphones. I really don't see the issue with them expanding what xbox can do and having other features, as long as it still plays games as well.

That being said, if I do get a next gen, it'll probably be ps4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom