• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT3| It's good, but it's not right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
So everyone is raging about xbone concentrating on all the other stuff it can do and not gaming.

The thing is, I use my ps3 as my bluray player, so really it's not just a games console to me. I guess MS are just trying to muscle in on this side of it.

Plus, we like technology that does everything, just look at smartphones. I really don't see the issue with them expanding what xbox can do and having other features, as long as it still plays games as well.

That being said, if I do get a next gen, it'll probably be ps4.

Yeah me too, my consoles get used far far far more as media centres than gaming devices. Netflix and streaming from my pc - DVR functionality would be lovely.

So everyone is raging about xbone concentrating on all the other stuff it can do and not gaming.

The thing is, I use my ps3 as my bluray player, so really it's not just a games console to me. I guess MS are just trying to muscle in on this side of it.

Plus, we like technology that does everything, just look at smartphones. I really don't see the issue with them expanding what xbox can do and having other features, as long as it still plays games as well.

That being said, if I do get a next gen, it'll probably be ps4.

Yes, I agree with their motivations and intentions here. On paper, the "Godbox" isn't bad, but their messaging for this console so far has been poor. They announced a TiVo to an audience of game enthusiasts, basically. So that's confusing and dissatisfying- but at the same time, it was expected, because like you say, it makes sense, right?

The main annoyance from me came from the "revelations" post-conference.

CHEEZMO™;58551413 said:
Guys I dont pay attention to this shit.

Is there one single good thing about the nextbox?

-Kinect seems improved to the point of actual viability
-multi-app stuff seems ridiculously cool
-slick OS
-controller looks great
-you can do shit like search for matches in one game whilst playing another, if I was paying attention correctly

Plus, you know, it'll get all the cool new games.

SKINNER!

Banned
I forgot we talk about video games at these things.

Surprisingly, I don't think video games was ever brought up the last time I was there. Maybe briefly talked about Nintendo with BGBW. One thing I do remember was someone bringing up Gangnam Style before it became huge.

I agree with everything except the Halo TV show, that does have a chance considering Spielberg produced Band of Brothers. It probably won't be that but still, not going to write it off yet.

Spielberg also produced this. So there's a 50/50 chance that the Halo TV show will not survive. Not going to write it off as being complete shit now (that would be dumb) but there's a chance it could succeed. I mean, I thought the new Battlestar series was going to tank because nobody gave a damn about the old series. IMO, announcing the Halo TV series yesterday was really silly and looked like filler.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
-Kinect seems improved to the point of actual viability
-multi-app stuff seems ridiculously cool
-slick OS
-controller looks great
-you can do shit like search for matches in one game whilst playing another, if I was paying attention correctly

Pretty much none of this interests me and I think the controller is ugly.

Was looking forward to seeing what they came up with cos this has been an xbox generation for me. Lookin like the next one will be PS.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Surprisingly, I don't think video games was ever brought up the last time I was there. Maybe briefly talked about Nintendo with BGBW. One thing I do remember was someone bringing up Gangnam Style before it became huge.

I saw the gangnam video when it had like 30,000 views.

CHEEZMO™;58552037 said:

Was looking forward to seeing what they came up with cos this has been an xbox generation for me. Lookin like the next one will be PS.

I was seeing mixed reactions towards the controller. I just threw that opinion as filler. :lol

SteveWD40

This is how big a console should be:

piston-steam-box-valve-ces-2013.jpeg

Fucking archaic HDD and Optical drives, get out of the 90's, time to nut up or shut up console makers, sort out proper DD and slap a SSD in there.

Hystzen

the next meltdown will be when MS announce nearly all features need XboxLive GOLD

as a media centre it fine but the issue is most won't work outside US due to UK tv laws being different.

This is how big a console should be:

piston-steam-box-valve-ces-2013.jpeg

Fucking archaic HDD and Optical drives, get out of the 90's, time to nut up or shut up console makers, sort out proper DD and slap a SSD in there.

Also known as the "always pay full-price" solution.

Shit only works for PC games because Valve is around. Don't give the first parties DD-only system yet, please- we still need some semblance of a free market.

SteveWD40

Also known as the "always pay full-price" solution.

Shit only works for PC games because Valve is around. Don't give the first parties DD-only system yet, please- we still need some semblance of a free market.

Valve and Apple merge, spend the £90 Billion Apple have in cash and buy Nintendo and Sony. We get the 3 to build the perfect DD / Console / OS.

Trust me, I have thought it all through...

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
First insanity double work out day and the first one killed me.... lord give me strength

Fuck I'm only just having breakfast...really need to get my sleeping pattern back!!!

Happy wednesday guys, hows the weather where you are?

TCRS

Banned
I'm feeling depressed. How could the MS presentation be so bad? It's a new console FFS! So many opportunities to get back on the right track, get back into gaming, shift the focus etc. instead they just gave us one of their awful E3 Kinect type conferences... and the new Xbox is worse than ever. Oh god. ;-;

It's dead to me. I'm finally going to buy a Sony console.

Time to ly dow

Hystzen

I'm feeling depressed. How could the MS presentation be so bad? It's a new console FFS! So many opportunities to get back on the right track, get back into gaming, shift the focus etc. instead they just gave us one of their awful E3 Kinect type conferences... and the new Xbox is worse than ever. Oh god. ;-;

It's dead to me. I'm finally going to buy a Sony console.

Time to ly dow

wait til E3 bro Sony might start announcing similar shit I don't think they will but that feeling of dread is inside me

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
I wouldn't be all that surprised if Sony announced voice commands for the PS4 similar to what the X1 has. Just some basics like starting movies etc. I'm looking forward to hearing more about the PS4 OS.

NinjaBoiX

CHEEZMO™;58552037 said:
I never got this as a valid complaint. Who cares? It's not an ornament.

It's like complaining that the garden rake you bought isn't as pretty as you'd hoped.

I never got this as a valid complaint. Who cares? It's not an ornament.

It's like complaining that the garden rake you bought isn't as pretty as you'd hoped.

I dunno, they will be hanging around in the open in your bedroom or living room or whatever

I wouldn't want a Duke just chilling out next to my TV, for example

nickcv

hi guys!

I’m new to the thread, and the country as well =P

I'll be moving in London from Italy on the 4th of June, and i got a bunch of questions for you guys.

I’ll quote myself from another thread i opened the other day:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=559622
I'm moving from Italy to London and I've just a couple of weeks to rent a house, choose a mobile carrier and an ISP.

Problem is I don't have any clue of what should I get.

My new job will be around the Elephant and Castle tube station and I cannot afford anything past 390 per week.
Keep in mind that I'm a gay white male moving to London with his boyfriend so I don't want to move to any neighborhood were I could get killed.

Of course I'd like to don't spend too much time commuting either.

I’ve got some good advise but any help is more then welcome.

I also wanted to know what media box you guys suggest. I was personally thinking about the ROKU, and also i'd like to know what's the best way to catch my favourite US tv shows. Is netflix enough?

what's the best choice among Virgin and BT for broadband?

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
I can't see if anybody quoted me anymore under User CP. Is it the same for everyone?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
hi guys!

I'll be moving in London from Italy on the 4th of June, and i got a bunch of questions for you guys.

I also wanted to know what media box you guys suggest. I was personally thinking about the ROKU, and also i'd like to know what's the best way to catch my favourite US tv shows. Is netflix enough?

what's the best choice among Virgin and BT for broadband
?

I've got Virgin for phone/tv/internets and it's pretty good. No idea how good compared to anything else though :p

And keeping up with new US TV shows? I'm not saying the t-word but broadcast TV is sooooo 20th Century... Netflix is great (esp if you use a US proxy) but it's never current, always a series behind and it doesn't have everything.

nickcv

I've got all that crap in a drawer.

You guys are a bunch of heathens.

Edit: welcome NickCV!

thanks!

I've got Virgin for phone/tv/internets and it's pretty good. No idea how good compared to anything else though :p

And keeping up with new US TV shows? I'm not saying the t-word but broadcast TV is sooooo 20th Century... Netflix is great (esp if you use a US proxy) but it's never current, always a series behind and it doesn't have everything.

damn it.
so there's not way for me to keep up with the current series legally?

Rubbish King

Thanks for answering my post guise JEEZ

hi guys!

Welcome sir! It depends on your ISP, if you go with Virgin or BT fibre-broadband you can get a tv thingy with it

As for who is better it really comes down to pricing, both are pretty damn reliable ISPs and both TV services they provide are pretty good

As for US shows and stuff netflix is good with a free chrome extension/You can get a proxy for other media devices for a few pounds a month, it's called Untrust Us

thanks!

damn it.

What shows though?? HBO stuff comes here a few days after it is released in the US

Darren870

hi guys!

£390 PW in rent? You should be fine anywhere in London. Angel is nice and easy to get to E&C. I lived there for 3 years. Now I am just up the road in Canonbury.

Could check out Camden too. I would assume both are Gay Friendly. I've never seen any issues in either.

Oh and don't live in E&C. Place is a shit hole.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
thanks!

damn it.

This is maybe me being a dick, but why would you care about the legality or otherwise? GAF is perhaps not the best place to talk about this but I don't think people get in trouble for downloading TV in quite the same way as movies or music. It being illegal has never entered my head, it's just the most convenient and easy way to watch tv these days...

nickcv

Thanks for answering my post guise JEEZ

Welcome sir! It depends on your ISP, if you go with Virgin or BT fibre-broadband you can get a tv thingy with it

As for who is better it really comes down to pricing, both are pretty damn reliable ISPs and both TV services they provide are pretty good

As for US shows and stuff netflix is good with a free chrome extension/You can get a proxy for other media devices for a few pounds a month, it's called Untrust Us

What shows though?? HBO stuff comes here a few days after it is released in the US

Usually we watch shows on:
HBO
NBC
ABC
FOX
Bravo
CW
and twice a year mylifetime for project runway

£390 PW in rent? You should be fine anywhere in London. Angel is nice and easy to get to E&C. I lived there for 3 years. Now I am just up the road in Canonbury.

Could check out Camden too. I would assume both are Gay Friendly. I've never seen any issues in either.

Oh and don't live in E&C. Place is a shit hole.

yeah, after talking to some gaffers and other people i ruled out E&C.
for what is my understanding it's better to live north from the Thames.

what about living close to lancaster gate? I know the commute would be longer but I kinda like the idea of living close the park.

This is maybe me being a dick, but why would you care about the legality or otherwise? GAF is perhaps not the best place to talk about this but I don't think people get in trouble for downloading TV in quite the same way as movies or music. It being illegal has never entered my head, it's just the most convenient and easy way to watch tv these days...

i'd be an immigrant and i don't want to get in troubles =P

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Is there anywhere in the UK that you'd class as gay unfriendly? Racists we may be but I've not met a lot of homophobes.

Norn Iron is part of the UK. They voted against gay marriage a few weeks ago because gay people getting married infringes on the rights of people to believe on god or some shit.

Rubbish King

I'm in such a horrible mood, my sister just accused me of stealing and she thought I would not be offended by that? I fucking flipped out!
The weather sucks round my way Tash, foggy and overcast. It's quite mild temp wise though.

Happy?
YES

it's shitty here too :(
Usually we watch shows on:
HBO
NBC
ABC
FOX
Bravo
CW
and twice a year mylifetime for project runway

yeah, after talking to some gaffers and other people i ruled out E&C.
for what is my understanding it's better to live north from the Thames.

what about living close to lancaster gate? I know the commute would be longer but I kinda like the idea of living close the park.

i'd be an immigrant and i don't want to get in troubles =P

You can use media hint and Unblock us to use HULU and other catchup services in the US the only thing there is a problem with this is Showtime don't have a service

Is there anywhere in the UK that you'd class as gay unfriendly? Racists we may be but I've not met a lot of homophobes.
I can't think of anywhere really, some people choose to just avoid the subject but i havent really met anyone in England who has been against the idea of it
CHEEZMO™;58568797 said:
UKIP offices.
lol I did a questionnaire in the sun yesterday (it was on the bar and it was quiet, dont judge me)
and it said I'm pretty conservative but I'll probably vote UKIP next time.... then again there were only two others which were you were a swivel eyed loon or david camerons left nut or some shit

nickcv

I'm in such a horrible mood, my sister just accused me of stealing and she thought I would not be offended by that? I fucking flipped out!
YES

it's shitty here too :(

You can use media hint and Unblock us to use HULU and other catchup services in the US the only thing there is a problem with this is Showtime don't have a service

I can't think of anywhere really, some people choose to just avoid the subject but i havent really met anyone in England who has been against the idea of it

lol I did a questionnaire in the sun yesterday (it was on the bar and it was quiet, dont judge me)
and it said I'm pretty conservative but I'll probably vote UKIP next time.... then again there were only two others which were you were a swivel eyed loon or david camerons left nut or some shit

thanks a lot!

DEPORTED: For crimes against television

XD
ok it does sounds stupid if you think about it

----

one more question:
BT offers free wi-fi on the streets of london with its broadband connection.
Does virgin offer the same?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

lol, I just have the image of you suggesting being gay to random peeps across the country and they're saying "not usually, but for you..."

Yes I am a child.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
one more question:

Not that I've seen yet at least. The BT Openzone stuff does look really handy (I see it all over the place). There is a similar service called The Cloud that is fairly ubiquitous and free though.

nickcv

Not that I've seen yet at least. The BT Openzone stuff does look really handy (I see it all over the place). There is a similar service called The Cloud that is fairly ubiquitous and free though.

yeah, the point is that BT is more expensive but with the open zone i don't have to get a phone plan with unlimited bandwidth, on the other hand with virgin i'd have a cheaper faster broadband but i'd have to get an unlimited data plan for my phone.

I've seen several times the "The Cloud" service but I didn't bother trying it out.
Is it any good?

f0rk

yeah, the point is that BT is more expensive but with the open zone i don't have to get a phone plan with unlimited bandwidth, on the other hand with virgin i'd have a cheaper faster broadband but i'd have to get an unlimited data plan for my phone.

I've seen several times the "The Cloud" service but I didn't bother trying it out.
Is it any good?

Do you already have a phone? http://giffgaff.com/ gives unlimited data for £12 a month. I wouldn't want to rely on these spotty free wifi services they don't sound very reliable to me

hi guys!

Welcome! To both the thread and the UK.

If you want to make friends quickly, come to the meet up on July 6th, and of course you can bring your bloke along.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=554634

thanks a lot!

XD
ok it does sounds stupid if you think about it

----

one more question:

I may be wrong but isn't it Virgin offering free wifi on the tube?

Jezbollah

So there is some GTA-like shit going on in Woolwich - being covered by BBC and Sky News right now. My friend just posted this on Facebook:

"So some guy just got attacked with an axe and then run over multiple times by two guys who were then shot by the cops (apparently)... not 500m (that's 'yards' to the locals) from my work... Just another day in Woolwich"

So there is some GTA-like shit going on in Woolwich - being covered by BBC and Sky News right now. My friend just posted this on Facebook:

"So some guy just got attacked with an axe and then run over multiple times by two guys who were then shot by the cops (apparently)... not 500m (that's 'yards' to the locals) from my work... Just another day in Woolwich"

Yeah, it's just popped up on the Guardian... wtf...

nickcv

Do you already have a phone? http://giffgaff.com/ gives unlimited data for £12 a month. I wouldn't want to rely on these spotty free wifi services they don't sound very reliable to me

i already have a phone, i purchased it a couple of months ago and i'm not planning to change it any soon.
Thanks for the link it might be useful!

Welcome! To both the thread and the UK.

If you want to make friends quickly, come to the meet up on July 6th, and of course you can bring your bloke along.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=554634

I'll come for sure!
My bf is a gaffer as well, even if he almost never posts

I may be wrong but isn't it Virgin offering free wifi on the tube?

that's what i need it for mostly.
If they do offer free wifi on the tube that would be anough!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom