• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT3| It's good, but it's not right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
ok guys my cousin is trying to convince me into renting an apartment close to her.
She lives in Stepney Green.

The rental around there (Whitechapel / Aldagate / Stepney Green) is much cheaper, but I know there must be a reason.

What can you tell me about that zone?

Fuck all of that

come to portsmouth

there are like 5 gaffers here

G8D

Banned
Anyone here good with competition law? Any cheat sheets/revisions sheets for art 101/102 and mergers? :$

I know that I'm unlikely to get help here but I have an exam on friday and I'm not excited for it.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
lttp? I used to love Friends but it's gotten way past the point of over exposure over the years. The endless endless repeats of it on E4, and now Comedy Central have it too. I'm sure if I turned on the telly, it would be on somewhere right now.

My favourite season is where Ross has his breakdown.

This is like my tenth rerun bro

I just finished scru

AH SHIT WORK

Jordan

So this just in, on the meetup - we all need to play Taylor Swift to Mike, I think he is smitten by her beautiful music...

*cough*

nickcv

Where are you living now?

Whitechapel and Aldgate make me want to cry, but it might be just me.

Right now I'm living in Italy, I'll be moving to London next week and I think she just wants me to move there to spend some time together

Shit area, thats why.

There are some nice spots but it is very Asian heavy. Not that its a bad thing but you might stick out. If you want to be close to that area just go to Shordeitch. Its gay friendly and hipstery.

Not knowing your personality makes it hard to suggest where to look honestly.

Besides your 6 hundred hours of tv, what do you enjoy doing? Do you like clubbing, quiet bars, upscale bars?

Can PM me if you want. There was a few gaf brits that helped me when I moved here but now that I've been here 4 years I know London pretty well.

I took a look at shordeitch but it doesn't look really inviting.

XD I do not watch 600 hours of tv I just have some troubles sleeping!

Anyhow I do love bars and pubs but I honestly almost never enjoy clubs unless I'm really in the mood or extremely drunk.

I'll PM you later!

Volotaire

Right now I'm living in Italy, I'll be moving to London next week and I think she just wants me to move there to spend some time together

Anyhow I do love bars and pubs but I honestly almost never enjoy clubs unless I'm really in the mood or extremely drunk.

I'll PM you later!

You said you're gay?

I'm going to get a bit of grievance for this but Asian heavy areas are probably not the best bet. Depends how the Asian community are. Speaking from an Asian perspective here .

nickcv

You said you're gay?

I'm going to get a bit of grievance for this but Asian heavy areas are probably not the best bet. Depends how the Asian community are. Speaking from an Asian perspective here .

Thanks guys, I think I'll look for an apartment somewhere else.

Darren870

I'll PM you later!

Yea, I am the same. Send me a PM. Let me know your age and profession too. I would think Angel or Clerkenwall would be good too. However, that depends on a few things.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Evening chaps, my band released our first actual cd/digital download this weekend, bit of self promotion... Hopefully jedeye might be interested in a listen at least: redscollective.bandcamp.com

Oh and speaking of musics, I listened to this, it was great, you make my crew sound like a pop band. I'll pass it along to my guitar player, she loves drone music too. How did you record this? Sounds very roomy and live, I don't know how you'd even begin to do this in a traditional studio setup.

I get paid friday, will bung you some pennies when I do :)

ok guys my cousin is trying to convince me into renting an apartment close to her.
She lives in Stepney Green.

The rental around there (Whitechapel / Aldagate / Stepney Green) is much cheaper, but I know there must be a reason.

What can you tell me about that zone?

Aldgate is going to be more expensive, so realistically you will probably want to go towards Whitechapel/ Stepney Green/ Mile end if you want the cheaper prices.

There is a fairly big uni near by, Queen Mary, so thats maybe why its cheaper - there are a lot of students there.

Its a real shit hole though. Pretty much just kebab shops all around, I think Mile End has improved a lot in more recent years but Stepney/ Whitechapel are still very much dumps.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Thinking about starting a new community thread for 'Indie' music, who's with me? NinjaBoxi, I assume you'd be along for the ride? I know it's a broad term but there really isn't a space to talk about general alternative music. We've got metal, hip hop, pop, fucking K-POP... nowhere to ask about the new Desaparecidos album or find out what Sufjan Stevens is up to.

I figure we derail this thread often enough, let's do this!

Volotaire

Thinking about starting a new community thread for 'Indie' music, who's with me? NinjaBoxi, I assume you'd be along for the ride? I know it's a broad term but there really isn't a space to talk about general alternative music. We've got metal, hip hop, pop, fucking K-POP... nowhere to ask about the new Desaparecidos album or find out what Sufjan Stevens is up to.

Brilliant idea. I would love this. Indie music is what i listen to most these days.

Jed, if you're a Jeff Buckley fan, you might dig Tom Odell. The second I heard this I thought of him.

Tom Odell - Can't Pretend (live at Dean Street Studios)

this Tom Odell track is OK. Loved his first release better however. Another Love is sublime.

NinjaBoiX

NinjaBoxi endorses this motion master Jed.

Go forth and create my friend, I'll post some waxin' choons and shit. Sharing and discussing muzak is one of my favourite GAFtimes.

Last week a women called Emma Way hit a cyclist with her car and bragged about it on Twitter, she quite rightly got in to a spot of bother.

I have an old school friend called Emma Way and since last week she's received random friend requests and abusive messages all because she has the same name as the above woman.

People are stupid.

Jedeye, wouldn't "alternative" be a better word? Indie is a bit too specific. (Also, I don't really listen to indie music any more but would still like to contribute, lol)

G8D

Banned
This sounds like a thread I'd lurk but never post in for fear of being ridiculed for my music taste and lack of knowledgable insight.

Worst case scenario, you'd just be ignored. Happened to me a lot in the "whatchoo listening to" thread. *shrug*

(Actually, I wrote a big-ass post gushing about "Gloss Drop" by Battles after it came out in one of the music threads, and someone brought it up during that year's AOTY thread, which made me pretty chuffed.)

It doesn't stop Tashbrooke

what can, really

Hystzen

It doesn't stop Tashbrooke

tumblr_m4hnefXuQh1qmiigzo1_250.gif

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Define "indie" and I'm in.

Excellent question, I think the title might be Alt/Indie or something along those lines. Basically, it's the music that doesn't fit in the Metal, Pop or Hip Hop categories! At the risk of saying "my subculture is better than yours", I think that alternative music fans have the widest tastes of music of any group . Once you're into that world, chances are you can listen to anything. In general my taste runs the gamut from pussy acoustic girly music to fuzzed out noise rock and I would like a space to talk about all this stuff (that isn't the boring fucking list and images with no context thread that is the Listening thread). From Lightning Bolt to Emmy the Great to Los Camps to the XX to Godspeed to Titus Andronicus to Metric.

If you have any better ideas of what to call it then I'm all ears.

NinjaBoiX

Music from independent or used to be independent artists.

In my opinion it also covers music that is very different from mainstream in may cases or is simply not covered.
Fugazi man, you cannot fuck with this band!

Full Disclosure

From paper to fretboard to print, entirely independent. Dischord Records sign the best bands too. Faraquet are kind of awesome:

Cut Self Not

Ian McKaye is both a musician and businessman of utmost integrity.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Fugazi man, you cannot fuck with this band!

Full Disclosure

From paper to fretboard to print, entirely independent. Dischord Records sign the best bands too. Faraquet are kind of awesome:

Cut Self Not

Ian McKaye is both a musician and businessman of utmost integrity.

Yeah, I really like latter day Fugazi. I can't really get into the old stuff, it's too brittle for my tastes. I super respect the DIY ethic though, massive influence on me personally.

NinjaBoiX

Yeah, I really like latter day Fugazi. I can't really get into the old stuff, it's too brittle for my tastes. I super respect the DIY ethic though, massive influence on me personally.
My pal is really into Citizen Fish, and some of their early recordings he has are literally just cassettes physically recorded, boxed and shipped by the band themselves, with homemade B&W printed labels done by Dick personally.

You don't get much more intimate than that.

f0rk

So I guess Lightning Bolt is a moshie rock band which I can respect but don't normally get into that much.
Emmy the Great is a chick with a guitar, seems alright but a bit boring for me.
Los Camps (Los Campesinos! right?) seem pretty cool, maybe a bit too fresh but I'll check them out. Should I just get the newest album?
You just put the XX in the list to satisfy me
After seeing the album art I realise I was going to check out Godspeed at one point, I guess they got a lot of buzz (pitchfork 9.3!). I'll probably get round to buying this album at some point.
Titus Andronicus seem pretty good as well, added to mental list.
Smelly kids with guitars is a suitable description for all of them. Emmy might not be THAT smelly though

What are the recommended first albums for Los Camps and Titus Andronicus?

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
75132409.jpg

Look how independent and deep he is. No one can understand his feelings. I bet you've never even heard of half the indie groups he listens to.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
So I guess Lightning Bolt is a moshie rock band which I can respect but don't normally get into that much.

Moshie?? I wouldn't say that so much as they're just MENTAL and something to experience. I wouldn't like to try to dance to it, more stand there slack jawed and try to take it in.

Emmy the Great is a chick with a guitar, seems alright but a bit boring for me.

Hot half-Chinese chick with a lovely voice and writes songs that are like stamping on your testicles (first album at least, the second wasn't so good). CHeck out this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BirQTy_FM8Q

Los Camps (Los Campesinos! right?) seem pretty cool, maybe a bit too fresh but I'll check them out. Should I just get the newest album?

Yeah, Hello Sadness is really good. Either that or their debut Hold On Youngster. New one is a lot more mature. I like them cos their singer is more neurotic than I am.

You just put the XX in the list to satisfy me

Yep!

After seeing the album art I realise I was going to check out Godspeed at one point, I guess they got a lot of buzz (pitchfork 9.3!). I'll probably get round to buying this album at some point.

Oh man this band is so good, their new record is incredible. Very longform instrumental stuff but it's thrilling and emotionally wrenching.

Titus Andronicus seem pretty good as well, added to mental list.

What are the recommended first albums for Los Camps and Titus Andronicus?

My first Titus album was the Monitor which I hated for about two months before it lodged its way into my top ten albums ever. It's a concept album about both the US Civil War and mid-20s depression and is a work of minor genius. Local Business is also really good and a bit more straightforward.

Phew!

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Yes please set up an indie thread asap

Will do tomorrow! Spent all evening writing stuff for Parachute For Gordo's next zine issue by accident.

75132409.jpg

Look how independent and deep he is. No one can understand his feelings. I bet you've never even heard of half the indie groups he listens to.

Ironically your snarkiness would fit in better in a music thread than your not-in-Britain-ness does in this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom