• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT3| It's good, but it's not right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol, friendzoned?

Catherine 2 developed by Sumo Digital...confirmed?

Britgaf, Should I get an S4 or wait until Note III? I think it's time I retired my HTC Desire and my laptop died earlier this year. Might as well...

Could be. He just left with a "fuck this world" look on his face. I should have told him to go onto the dating advice thread!

Get an S4 bro. Or Xperia Z. Or HTC One.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
lol, friendzoned?

Britgaf, Should I get an S4 or wait until Note III? I think it's time I retired my HTC Desire and my laptop died earlier this year. Might as well...

S4, The note is a large piece of shit. The htc is a budget brand, I would avoid there products due to public shame.

Volotaire

lol, friendzoned?

That's a big question

Do you care about screen size? Teh Note 3 is stongly romured to be 5.9 to 6 inches. Too big? too small?

The S4 or HTC One are the real contenders for this 6 month cycle.

The next 6 month cycle will have HTC phablet, Sony phablet, iPhone, Nokia phone, Note 3, Nexus phone in October.

What do you want to use it for?

Photos?Multimiedia? Browsing?

Want it fast and smooth?

like Android? iOS? Windows Phone?

Physical Keyboard?

Care about waterproofing?

Battery life?

Internal storage -expandable memory?

Awesome stereo speakers on your phone for great sound?

Battery replacement a worry to you?

Screen Size?

Want pure Android, don't mind skinned OEM layers like Touchwiz/Sense? How pure do you want these layers?

Answer these questions and you can take the next step in deciding.

S4, The note is a large piece of shit. The htc is a budget brand, I would avoid there products due to public shame.

This is absolutely stupid. Htc budget brand? Wtf are you talking about?

You get a phone that will be best for you. Not one that is best to show in public. Anyways the HTC One design is much superior ino than the S4. Maybe not ergonomics, but defintley design.

Volotaire

Its not exactly Samsung or apple is it ? Pound stretcher brand.

But why should that dictate what you purchase. Yes Apple and Samsung are popular but what does that gain exactly. the only thing imo will be resale value, but even then the phone will have to be in pretty good condition by the time you sell it.

HTC may not be the brand it used to be, but the HTC one is definteley a phone to consider. Probably the best phone out on the market imo. The S4 comes incredibly close, it depends what you want the phone to do.

Like owning a Technika TV, ok now you don't know what you're talking about.

Have you seen the HTC One?

A pound stretcher brand would be making parallels to those off copy Chinese android sets.

Hasney

The S4 is a delight. The HTC One is also a nice phone, but personally, the screen gives the S4 the edge.

hate to be totally British, but there's some sun, even here up north. Am certainly waiting for beer o clock in an hour.

Kentpaul

But why should that dictate what you purchase. Yes Apple and Samsung are popular but what does that gain exactly. the only thing imo will be resale value, but even then the phone will have to be in pretty good condition by the time you sell it.

HTC may not be the brand it used to be, but the HTC one is definteley a phone to consider. Probably the best phone out on the market imo. The S4 comes incredibly close, it depends what you want the phone to do.

Like owning a Technika TV, ok now you don't know what you're talking about.

Have you seen the HTC One?

I know exactly what I'm talking about. Budget brands are shit.

Last time i gave a HTC phone a chance it was a slow laggy piece of shit. I had to sell it and buy an iphone.

the wildfire *shudder*

Volotaire

The S4 is a delight. The HTC One is also a nice phone, but personally, the screen gives the S4 the edge.

hate to be totally British, but there's some sun, even here up north. Am certainly waiting for beer o clock in an hour.

Disagree with that, not a big fan of AMOLED, but the screen is still mighty impressive!

SKINNER!

Banned
Could be. He just left with a "fuck this world" look on his face. I should have told him to go onto the dating advice thread!

Get an S4 bro. Or Xperia Z. Or HTC One.

haha, They do dish out good advice in there. Will look into the Xperia Z and HTC One on GSMArena. As much I hear good things about the HTC One (and the Desire has been a good phone to me) I feel like trying out a new brand.

Although I wasn't too impressed with the HTC Sense OS, the Desire has gone through countless drops/bumps and it's still looks and works perfectly. The stupidly low internal memory was the only thing that pissed me off.

Do you care about screen size? Teh Note 3 is stongly romured to be 5.9 to 6 inches. Too big? too small?

The S4 or HTC One are the real contenders for this 6 month cycle.

The next 6 month cycle will have HTC phablet, Sony phablet, iPhone, Nokia phone, Note 3, Nexus phone in October.

What do you want to use it for?

Photos?Multimiedia? Browsing?

Want it fast and smooth? like Android?

Care about waterproofing?

Battery life?

Internal storage -expandable memory?

Awesome stereo speakers on your phone for great sound?

Battery replacement a worry to you?

Screen Size?

Answer these questions and you can take the next step in deciding.

I never initially cared about screen size but I tried gaming on my friend's Note I and it looked really good. Reading books/comics looked gd. It's like having a phone and tablet. Would save me carrying a laptop/tablet around when I'm travelling abroad. Slap a couple of movies on it. Tried putting it in my pocket and it felt ok. Not too bulgy. I've yet to decide whether perhaps the Note III will end up being too big. What do I use it for? Browsing, Using the GPS a lot, gaming, taking pictures, don't care if it's waterproof but I would like good battery life (which what also surprised me with the Note I), not too fussed with speakers. OS running smoothly and doesn't frequently crash. Wish I could get a phone with decent buttons like the Sony Playstation phone instead of using on-screen buttons but alas.... at least a bigger screen means bigger buttons.

Only reason I'm leaning towards the Note III at the moment because it might have better specs than the S4. What's this I'm hearing about the UK versions of the S4 not having the 8 quad processors? Does that change anything/make it inferior?

f0rk

Last time i gave a HTC phone a chance it was a slow laggy piece of shit. I had to sell it and buy an iphone.

the wildfire *shudder*

The Wildfire was a budget phone, shockingly HTC have a range of phones. You should have got a Desire.

Kentpaul

Got a shitload of friends coming over later, I'm running around doing all sorts of house chores to get the place looking 100% mint.

I last done the housework at 9am.. Just got my wooden floors to give a once over with the static mop.

The Wildfire was a budget phone, shockingly HTC have a range of phones. You should have got a Desire.

The desire (there top of the range phone at the time) was also a laggy joke.

Volotaire

the wildfire *shudder*

Yes and android has updated much from the wildfire. That's 3 years ago... You do know that Adnroid continuously updates, and that phones updates their inwards and their software , Sense in this case, far more than iOS?

The HTC One is buttery smooth, and Sense is really light, nearly as good as pure Android.

Andoroid today now can compete with the other platforms after 4.0. Android was on version 2.1 at that point.

HTC has reformed this year to focus on one handset, and has been shown through this year.

Have o thoughts on the Desire, have no clue about that phone.

Kentpaul

Yes and android has updated much from the wildfire. That's 3 years ago... You do know that Adnroid continuously updates, and that phones updates their inwards and their software , Sense in this case, far more than iOS?

The HTC One is buttery smooth, and Sense is really light, nearly as good as pure Android.

Andoroid today now can compete with the other platforms after 4.0. Android was on version 2.1 at that point.

Not to mention the dead pixels shitstorm that's affecting the ONE. Best buy insurance/

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ht...-has-stuck-dead-pixels-their-new-htc-one.html

Complete joke.

haha, They do dish out good advice in there. Will look into the Xperia Z and HTC One on GSMArena. As much I hear good things about the HTC One (and the Desire has been a good phone to me) I feel like trying out a new brand.

Only reason I'm leaning towards the Note III at the moment because it might have better specs than the S4. What's this I'm hearing about the UK versions of the S4 not having the 8 quad processors? Does that change anything/make it inferior?

You could go ultra large and wait for the 6.44" Sony:

QMOZl53.png

Also, the UK version of the S4 comes with the superior Snapdragon 600 processor, the octacore crap is just marketing, comes with worse IRL performance and battery life, but it has a nice benchmark mode with quad A15 that will suck your battery dry.

Hasney

Got a shitload of friends coming over later, I'm running around doing all sorts of house chores to get the place looking 100% mint.

I last done the housework at 9am.. Just got my wooden floors to give a once over with the static mop.

You just basically described both why I love and hate living in a flat. House chores are easy with the lack of space, but I couldn't fit a shitload of friends in here.

Moving to a shared house in July though with my best friend and one of their friends, so that's gonna change. The chore thing probably won't be so bad either between 3 of us.

Volotaire

Not to mention the dead pixels shitstorm that's affecting the ONE. Best buy insurance/

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ht...-has-stuck-dead-pixels-their-new-htc-one.html

Complete joke.

Yeh I've got to admit that's pretty bad. But that's manufacturing issues with the initial batches a shame. Other phones have had problems similar to this, the Octa version if the S4 is pretty laggy for a large proportion of people, the iphone 4 debacle.

It's not a isolated incident. You can return the phone and exchange. That means its faulty.

But yeh I wish they could improve quality control.

It's easier for Apple as they concentrate on one phone a year. Means a more buttery experience and focused, but less options.

Although I wasn't too impressed with the HTC Sense OS, the Desire has gone through countless drops/bumps and it's still looks and works perfectly. The stupidly low internal memory was the only thing that pissed me off.

I never initially cared about screen size but I tried gaming on my friend's Note I and it looked really good. Reading books/comics looked gd. It's like having a phone and tablet. Would save me carrying a laptop/tablet around when I'm travelling abroad. Slap a couple of movies on it. Tried putting it in my pocket and it felt ok. Not too bulgy. I've yet to decide whether perhaps the Note III will end up being too big. What do I use it for? Browsing, Using the GPS a lot, gaming, taking pictures, don't care if it's waterproof but I would like good battery life (which what also surprised me with the Note I), not too fussed with speakers. OS running smoothly and doesn't frequently crash. Wish I could get a phone with decent buttons like the Sony Playstation phone instead of using on-screen buttons but alas.... at least a bigger screen means bigger buttons.

Sounds like you might want to wait until October. That would be my best bet. Battery life is brilliant with phablets and the big screen will be beneficial to you. Buttons you won't be seeing for along time.

Specs wise it might have an extra gig of RAM, a higher clocked processor, better camera (it's already awesome in the S4), battery life.

The octa core just helps battery life, it's actually two separate quad core chips inside the phone. It's not really worth it, and actually in the UK version blocks LTE/4G.

Kentpaul

You just basically described both why I love and hate living in a flat. House chores are easy with the lack of space, but I couldn't fit a shitload of friends in here.

Moving to a shared house in July though with my best friend and one of their friends, so that's gonna change. The chore thing probably won't be so bad either between 3 of us.

The chores are all right once you get started. The hardest chore is getting of the sofa.

HTC has reformed this year to focus on one handset, and has been shown through this year.

Have o thoughts on the Desire, have no clue about that phone.

I know how awesome android is. I have the latest android installed on my S3.

Screenshot_2013_05_31_16_10_31.png

Kentpaul

I love my S4, it can get by on one charge for three days and the screen is amazing.

You own a top brand phone; Of course your going to love it.

If you owned a HTC one you would give your self OCD with all the dead pixels ruining your life.

Volotaire

You own a top brand phone; Of course your going to love it.

If you owned a HTC one you would give your self OCD with all the dead pixels ruining your life.

But I don't understand, can't you just send it back? Like any other phone or electronic good?

It is poor quality control for the manufacturers though.

Kentpaul

But I don't understand, can't you just send it back? Like any other phone or electronic good?

And live without a phone for a few days ? In 2013.. What would be the point in even taking the risk when you could buy a top brand phone and have a smooth experience.

Volotaire

And live without a phone for a few days ? In 2013.. What would be the point in even taking the risk when you could buy a top brand phone and have a smooth experience.

You got a point there.

Eh, I've never had a smartphone lol. Getting my first this year. Can't wait

Kentpaul

You got a point there.

Eh, I've never had a smartphone lol. Getting my first this year. Can't wait

I use mine as a touch screen for my smart TV and a keyboard for my smart TV. They have so much fucking uses.

Amazing. I'm sure a shitty HTC phone could run a EGG timer app if you can see the screen through all the dead pixels.

xperia ZL 4 lyfe. shit looks flashh

Sony is about as relevant as nokia these days bro.

Jordan

This could be invalid. If there is a problem with the phone ie dead pixel then you can take it back to the shop you got it from and they normally will replace for the manufacturer and will send it back to HTC.

I recommend an iPhone, albeit the battery on my iPhone 5 not amazingly great, but I hammer my phone from the moment I wake up to the moment I sleep, going through places with very little signal to places with amazing signal causing the phone's radio to be overworking and therefore killing the battery. I can last from 6AM till around 8PM without charging. I use my phone for everything, around 10-20 texts per hour, whatsapp messages, push emails, facebook, twitter.

I haven't used Android since I had the HTC Hero, unfortunately, that wonderful experience put me off of Android. I was determined when going to get a new phone that I was going to end up with a Galaxy Note II and I was dead set on it - even walked into the shop saying I want the Note and the Note only, then he put an iPhone in front of me and I went weak at the knees!

I do need to try Android again now that is updated, but my list of smartphones have gone:
HTC Hero - iPhone 4 - Nokia Lumia 800 - iPhone 5 (which I am in love with)

She actually looked like a teenage version of Musha.

She must've been smokin' then ;)

Ah ha so you're Hasney!

We have sun here too. Apparently they glued the bloke's thumb back on at the hospital so we may still be good for going out later. I reckon getting drunk will help with the pain.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I too like my iPhone 5. Retains about 90% charge at the end of the day if I've only sent a few texts and calls. But like Jordan said it will drain battery a lot if you use it frequently. The only thing that blows is that I'm bored of most of the apps on the apple store. Not having full customization options on an Apple device comes with the territory but its also really the only complaint I have so its a great phone in my opinion.

Just make sure you go for a higher storage type. 16 gigs ain't shit :(

I too like my iPhone 5. Retains about 90% charge at the end of the day if I've only sent a few texts and calls. But like Jordan said it will drain battery a lot if you use it frequently. The only thing that blows is that I'm bored of most of the apps on the apple store. Not having full customization options on an Apple device comes with the territory but its also really the only complaint I have so its a great phone in my opinion.

having location services on kills my iphone 4. as far as customizing goes i've found jailbraking covers that pretty well

Kentpaul

i would give my nephew a iphone but i think he'd find it a little simple compared to his fisherprice phone.

Extreme eyesore icons spamming up the screen. Thank god i have my amazing cyberpunk look going on with my phone.

Hasney

Ah ha so you're Hasney!

We have sun here too. Apparently they glued the bloke's thumb back on at the hospital so we may still be good for going out later. I reckon getting drunk will help with the pain.

Yup, I lurked here for a few pages before deciding to reply. Everytime I went to before, the whole bloody world decided I needed to work or something. And at work too, the nerve of it all.

The beer should help. Doesn't even matter if the glues not set properly, he's got another good hand, right?

I had the iPhone 3G, 4 and 4S before this and yes, the higher space is required. Managed to fill a 16gb 3G, 32gb 4 and 64gb 4S quite easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom