• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT3| It's good, but it's not right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hasney

Just picked up that other copy of NSMB2, heading into town for my bait, I'll see what I get for them. I'm guessing around £15-£20 each, I should at least double my money.

CEX are giving £13 cash, Game £10.50. I may have to swing by Morrisons on the way home now!

NinjaBoiX

Morning!

Are there any electricians or people that know about fuse boxes in BritGAF?

Yesterday The living room Sky box wasn't displaying subtitles so I turned that and the TV off and then off at the plug socket, waited twenty seconds and turned the socked back on, Doing this reboots the box which solves the subtitle issue (I have no idea what causes this in the first place). However the whole bungalow lost power, I shit myself because my PC had been on before looking in the fuse box, a switch had thrown so I reset it and everything was ok apart from the bedroom Sky box, it won't come out of standby.

Does anyone have any idea as why turning off a plug socket and turning it back on would make the fuse box throw a switch?
Well I'm a sparky, but it doesn't mean I know what I'm on about! (I do really, don't worry.)

If you've got a split load board with RCD protection (big red switch in the middle of the board, should be twice as wide as the breakers) chances are one of your appliances has an earth leakage fault.

Unplug everything, reinstate the RCD and any MCB's on the protected side, and plug everything in one by one, waiting a minute or so at a time. When it trips, that's your dodgy appliance.

NinjaBoiX

CEX are giving £13 cash, Game £10.50. I may have to swing by Morrisons on the way home now!
I even asked if they had any more stock! Screw it, I'm selling one of them at CEX, that way, I'll have paid £1 for a sealed Ninty game. That's got to be some kind of record right?

SKINNER!

Banned
I even asked if they had any more stock! Screw it, I'm selling one of them at CEX, that way, I'll have paid £1 for a sealed Ninty game. That's got to be some kind of record right?

Check out Britgaf's Warren Buffett here!

So going into the Morrisons next to work and seeing if they got any!

SteveWD40

You guys need to get in on this, shit's hilarious.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=575457

Based on old photograph lookalikes I might get by with a very well posed shot that hides I am older now:

s6TOIeU.jpg

but I am not interested in the validation of these people.

:(

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
Morning guys,
Feeling better but I'm a little worried as this low has come out of nowhere, if it persists I'm going to the doctor, no bullshit this time.
Based on old photograph lookalikes I might get by with a very well posed shot that hides I am older now:

but I am not interested in the validation of these people.

:(

8/10 would smang

:D

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Well I'm a sparky, but it doesn't mean I know what I'm on about! (I do really, don't worry.)

If you've got a split load board with RCD protection (big red switch in the middle of the board, should be twice as wide as the breakers) chances are one of your appliances has an earth leakage fault.

Unplug everything, reinstate the RCD and any MCB's on the protected side, and plug everything in one by one, waiting a minute or so at a time. When it trips, that's your dodgy appliance.

NinjaBix I have question - the lights in my house are SHIT (to the point where my main living room lights have disintegrated into uselessness). Roughly how much woudl it cost to get new light fittings and have them installed? It would be for two fixtures, probably with multiple bulbs in them (currently have three lightbulbs in my main light). Currently on a dimmer too, I'd like to replace that with a normal switch so I can use energy saving bulbs properly.

I keep putting it off because I think it will be expensive.

NinjaBoiX

NinjaBix I have question - the lights in my house are SHIT (to the point where my main living room lights have disintegrated into uselessness). Roughly how much woudl it cost to get new light fittings and have them installed? It would be for two fixtures, probably with multiple bulbs in them (currently have three lightbulbs in my main light). Currently on a dimmer too, I'd like to replace that with a normal switch so I can use energy saving bulbs properly.

I keep putting it off because I think it will be expensive.
Well personally, I'd charge £20 to change a fitting (£10 mates rates, £5 Jed rates) and like a fiver for a switch. But what do you mean the lights are disintegrating? The fittings themselves? The wiring?

Because the former is an easily solvable problem. The latter could point to a full rewire.

Edit: as for the price of the fittings, it depends how fancy the missus tastes are!

Hasney

I've got a switch in the bedroom of my flat where I've lived 5 years that does nothing but put a red light on above the switch like it's supposed to be a heater or something. I might ask the landlord on my finial inspection when I move out next month.

NinjaBoiX

I've got a switch in the bedroom of my flat where I've lived 5 years that does nothing but put a red light on above the switch like it's supposed to be a heater or something. I might ask the landlord on my finial inspection when I move out next month.
That'll be a 13a fused spur unit with a neon indicator. It's usually just a means of local isolation, usually for a cooker, shower, or as you say a heater, something that draws a lot of current.

Thanks, I don't exactly know what the board is but when I looked at it yesterday the middle switch was tripped.

NinjaBoiX

Thanks, I don't exactly know what the board is but when I looked at it yesterday the middle switch was tripped.
Sorry yeah, the board is just work speak for "fuse box". Well the middle switch (big red one) will be your RCD (residual current device). This detects an imbalance in load between the live and neutral, and governs all the sockets in your house. If your MCB' s (miniature circuit breaker, the small grey ones) are also tripping, that would imply earth leakage, as that's what they're designed to detect.

Either way, it sounds like you may have a faulty appliance me old mucca.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Well personally, I'd charge £20 to change a fitting (£10 mates rates, £5 Jed rates) and like a fiver for a switch. But what do you mean the lights are disintegrating? The fittings themselves? The wiring?

Because the former is an easily solvable problem. The latter could point to a full rewire.

Edit: as for the price of the fittings, it depends how fancy the missus tastes are!

Well firstly the wiring is a bit suspect because it blows bulbs within days/weeks of having them in there (but they're the shitty mini-bayonette candle bulbs), but over the years the sockets where I screw the bulbs in have also worn away so now I can't get the blown bulbs out at all. So I just want shot of the whole mess and get me some brand new lights (all using the same bulbs! that would be nice...) so I can have confidence in my shit.

I fucking hate the twat who built my house. My living room alone has four different kinds of lightbulbs and ALL of them blow constantly and none of them like energy saving bulbs, it's retarded.

Sorry yeah, the board is just work speak for "fuse box". Well the middle switch (big red one) will be your RCD (residual current device). This detects an imbalance in load between the live and neutral, and governs all the sockets in your house. If your MCB' s (miniature circuit breaker, the small grey ones) are also tripping, that would imply earth leakage, as that's what they're designed to detect.

Either way, it sounds like you may have a faulty appliance me old mucca.

Fantastic.

Any chance it could be the now not working Sky box?

NinjaBoiX

Well firstly the wiring is a bit suspect because it blows bulbs within days/weeks of having them in there (but they're the shitty mini-bayonette candle bulbs), but over the years the sockets where I screw the bulbs in have also worn away so now I can't get the blown bulbs out at all. So I just want shot of the whole mess and get me some brand new lights (all using the same bulbs! that would be nice...) so I can have confidence in my shit.
Oh right, so it isn't your wiring.

Well as I say Jed, I wouldn't expect to pay much more than £20 per fitting to replace them. And you can spend anything from a couple of quid to a couple of hundred on a fitting. It all depends on how flash you want it.
Fantastic.

Any chance it could be the now not working Sky box?
It could well be. Unplug everything from your ring main, reset the RCD, and plug it in. See what happens.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
2nd image is p.much exactly how I act if I see a wasp
yeah, that and a wasp
First panel of second image is how I act if there's a bee in the house.
come on son, bees are chilled as fuck, one was trapped in my room yesterday and I set it free like a hero of the bees
"Oh look, there's a non-ladybird insect in my house. I guess it wants to die."

*spends rest of day hunting it down*

lol

NinjaBoiX

I got £18 trade at Grainger for the second copy. Paid an extra £2 for GoT S2 bluray.

NSMB2 and GoT S2 BD for £16.

Lovely stuff.

SKINNER!

Banned
First panel of second image is how I act if there's a bee in the house.

No kidding! The second I find out there's a bee in the room I dash out of the room. shut the door. Take a few minutes to prepare myself then go back in, open the window and get out of the room as quick as I can. Wait 4 hours and then go back and check if it has left. If it hasn't left then I wait until it's settled down on the wall before getting the hoover. Hate bees. At least they're slow compared to wasps. Fuck wasps.

G8D

Banned
Well they are Nintendo so amazing exclusives are a given.

I can't say that I agree. I own a Wii and I really never felt excited for releases or blown away by the games on offer. Obviously 'amazing exclusives' is subjective but still. Nintendo is an acquired taste that not everyone is susceptible to.

Suairyu

Banned
The new season of Arrested Development is very disappointing so far.

Episode 1 was okay, 2 was not, and I got halfway through episode 3 and just had to turn it off.

The lack of quality is especially obvious as I just saw seasons 1 through 3 for the first time ever over the last two weeks.

NinjaBoiX

Musha is hawt confirmed.

Does anyone collect Club Nintendo points? I have two codes from those copies of NSMB2 and I might still have a code in my 3D Land box. I don't redeem them, so one of you guys may as well get some use.

Anyone interested? First PM gets them.

Hasney

Episode 1 was okay, 2 was not, and I got halfway through episode 3 and just had to turn it off.

The lack of quality is especially obvious as I just saw seasons 1 through 3 for the first time ever over the last two weeks.

The way it's written is like an 8 hour movie. It is really slow to get going and I was agreeing with you. Then episode 8 hits and it is back to being just simply amazing.

Musha is hawt confirmed.

Does anyone collect Club Nintendo points? I have two codes from those copies of NSMB2 and I might still have a code in my 3D Land box. I don't redeem them, so one of you guys may as well get some use.

Anyone interested? First PM gets them.

PM'd. Can only redeem one game per account anyway, so someone can't have both NSMB2 codes.

Did you ever redeem your 3DS console? If not, you might be able to get a free copy of Monster Hunter 3 from someone if they already own it!

awwwwwwwwwwww yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah

Old-Spice-Guy-Head-Nod.gif

I thought very similarly as well, but it's really after episode 3 is when it starts kicking into high gear. First three episodes are foundation building and rather scattershot. Loved how season 4 turned out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom