• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT3| It's good, but it's not right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NinjaBoiX

We are all talking about it, people are reading it just to see the drama, Chinner nailed it, fabricated bullshit to stir up shit.

yup. Hook, line and sinker.

RQPfFJF.gif
I suppose, but to what end? To show what a guileless, amateurish publication they really are? Seems incredibly short sighted.

SteveWD40

I suppose, but to what end? To show what a guileless, amateurish publication they really are? Seems incredibly short sighted.

The Sun and The Fail are the most read publications in this country, they would love to be held in that regard.

Modern print media are essentially internet trolls, talking shit for a reaction.

It's broadcast on Sky isn't it? So not everyone has access to the show when it is first broadcast anyway.

This is the article they refer to on the banner:
http://metro.co.uk/2013/06/05/was-metro-right-to-spoil-the-ending-of-game-of-thrones-3829249/

About 700,000 watch it on Sky, and piracy... it's hard to say, S3E1 was said to be pirated a million times, but only about 11.5% of those from the UK. Throwing catchup in to the mix, no idea on numbers for official catchup.... but to me it seems the numbers aren't actually that big overall.

The balance is how long do you wait - to allow you to do it? Obviously, with a bit more class than splashing it so you don't have the change to read "GAME OF THRONES" and turn over the page in a panic, we can all agree on that, but in principle, two days is pretty good? The later you leave it, the less interesting it is because... well, it's old. And newspapers are supposed to deal with the present.

I haven't watched the episode in question because I have a job and a life, I'm not the only person who doesn't watch episodes as soon as they air but I record them for later.

SKINNER!

Banned
If you're publicly talking about it with friends in RL then give it a few days and ask if they've watched it before diving into the spoilers. Online on social media like facebook? Never or at least hide the spoilers if there's a way.

That's what I do with TV shows/movies. Not so much with sports unless its MMA/UFC considering that's shown live at 3am here. My friends usually record it and then watch it on Sunday afternoon. I usually give it 2/3 days before I post my thoughts on the fights.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well I guess it's just me but I don't even know why it is a news story in the first place. The only people interested are those who watch the show and by Metro's own admission they should have already seen it. So who is this story for?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Well I guess it's just me but I don't even know why it is a news story in the first place. The only people interested are those who watch the show and by Metro's own admission they should have already seen it. So who is this story for?

This is an excellent point. I also think the same on podcasts when usually a 'review' is just an in-depth recap of the episode. We saw it, we know. And if I didn't see it, I only want to know why I should see it, rather than everything that happened.

G8D

Banned
Convince me.

You have nothing to lose.

The MOSI (and any museum of its ilk) provides a great experience, especially for the curious minds of children. It'd be a shame to lose that interest and stimulus. Plus I've been like twice this year and I really like watching the old machines running :$

I'm not usually one to care for petitions but considering the subject matter I feel like it might have some impact. We'll see.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
You have nothing to lose.

The MOSI (and any museum of its ilk) provides a great experience, especially for the curious minds of children. It'd be a shame to lose that interest and stimulus. Plus I've been like twice this year and I really like watching the old machines running :$

I'm not usually one to care for petitions but considering the subject matter I feel like it might have some impact. We'll see.

I don't really see much actual evidence in the article

Manchester’s most popular visitor attraction could close in order to keep the London Science Museum open.

The Museum of Science and Industry ( Mosi ) – which welcomes thousands of families each year – could be shut down under plans being considered by the national Science Museum Group.

The Manchester Evening News is campaigning to keep the museum open.

Sign our petition below to show your support.

Why are there no numbers or facts

Hasney

The media museum in Bradford AKA the only thing of note in Bradford is facing similar issues and may close.

No petition, JUS' SAYIN BLUD.

So I installed ThinkUp on to my server to harvest all tweets with the hashtag E3. In 16 hours, I have 3000.

I have no idea what to do with them. One, technically, and two, in terms of ideas at all.

SteveWD40

Just grabbed Dark Souls on PC for £8 from GMG (was 50% off for the Steam key version with the 20% off code on top...)

PC gaming motherfuckers.

G8D

Banned
MOSI is shutting down?...suppose they not had a exhibition in ages and I always preferred the other Manchester Museum

It may shut down if its funding is cut, yes.

I don't recall if I've been to another museum in Manc yet. Just MOSI and the art galleries.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Holy fucking shit guys, today is perhaps one of the most stressful and disheartening days I've ever had, death by a million papercuts. It feels like one day long panic attack. Somebody please tell me it'll be ok? (I'll let you know if it's not)

SteveWD40

Ignoring price considerations...

iPad mini or Nexus 7?

iPad mini, the screen real estate is far superior when browsing the web etc... not getting into iOS vs Andriod as it's as bad as console fanboys on Gaf but the hardware of the mini is better imho (I do have one also).

NinjaBoiX

Ignoring price considerations...

iPad mini or Nexus 7?
I have a Nexus 7.

I wouldn't recommend one if I'm honest. I find it quite slow, and it crashes fairly often. Then screen is good, and it's well made. It's just not very good IMO.

I much prefer to browse on my Note, what does that tell you!

G8D

Banned
My one concern is that the resolution is really quite poor. I also like Android and the last iOS device I owned was (is) a 2G iPod touch.

It's out of my control when it's bought all I know is that that's my option. I hope I can wait til after WWDC to see if they announce a retina mini.

NinjaBoiX

I just think Android is a bit shit to be quite frank.

I have an Android phone and tablet, and they both crash/freeze/throw some kind of wobbler at least twice a day.

Apart from anything else, it's just inconsistent. One moment, I can tap and hold to save an image. Next time a few minutes later, I can't.

It just doesn't fill me with confidence as an OS if I'm honest. It's really frustrating.

But the 80-90% of the time it works as advertised its rather excellent. It's failure rate is just way too high for me.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Where do you live: Wales when not at university, Oxford when at university.
Where are you from: Born in Australia to Aussie dad and British mum.
University: Oxford
Favourite Sport: Tennis to watch, rowing to do.
Political party of choice: Labour(?)
Favourite thing on the box: Hrm... finished shows, probably The Wire, on-going shows, probably Doctor Who.
Favourite crisp flavour: Salt and Vinegar. As if there is any other choice.
Favourite biscuit: I... I'm not a biscuit person. I don't mind chocolate digestives with my coffee, I guess?
Favourite Pokemon POST 151: Hrm. This is difficult. See, Snorlax is my straight up bro but Munchlax is just so-so. Tyranitar maybe? Gotta have some gojira somewhere.
Beano or Dandy: Umm... how old was the person who set these questions?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I'm 12. What of it?

That's an ancient 12, mate. I don't know anyone my age who has read Dandy. Possibly a few Beano readers, but even that'd be a rare catch.

G8D

Banned
I think Android is quite accomplished as a phone OS. I don't have too many issues (not caused by myself and my reckless rooting) and I feel the OS itself has more to offer in the way of features.

Android for tablets however, I am less convinced.

EDIT: I used to read the Beano.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
I just think Android is a bit shit to be quite frank.

I have an Android phone and tablet, and they both crash/freeze/throw some kind of wobbler at least twice a day.

Apart from anything else, it's just inconsistent. One moment, I can tap and hold to save an image. Next time a few minutes later, I can't.

It just doesn't fill me with confidence as an OS if I'm honest. It's really frustrating.

But the 80-90% of the time it works as advertised its rather excellent. It's failure rate is just way too high for me.
You are in the minority, you must've bought dodgey ones, never had a problem with my S3

apart from when i fucked it up messing around with roms

but that was just me losing my hayley pics/contacts
Beano or Dandy: Umm... how old was the person who set these questions?
You will not go far in this thread with THAT ATTITUDE MISTER

hmm i did a post but it's not showing. Unless my brain is really so addled that I just closed the tab...

I see nuffink

G8D

Banned
I've also heard that the mini is a great device to have with a non iPhone (best of both worlds) so maybe I'll get that and upgrade my shitey San Francisco to a nice and shiney (matte black but shhh) HTC One.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
all too busy going to daisy chain parties and cyberbullying eh? kids today...
I'd say that was a accurate description of Saturday. (CLIQUEY ALERT)

That's an ancient 12, mate. I don't know anyone my age who has read Dandy. Possibly a few Beano readers, but even that'd be a rare catch.
They still sell the Beano in the shops don't they? I guess this just goes to show that is of no surprise our comic industry died.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
They still sell the Beano in the shops don't they? I guess this just goes to show that is of no surprise our comic industry died.

Yeah, I know places that stock them. Only buyers seem to be like 30+ though, so yeah. Same way in America, though, right? I mean, it's not really kids buying the latest Spiderman/Superman comic books, is it. The audience grew up, the franchises moved with them. Trouble is you can't really do a grimdark Dennis the Menace.

SteveWD40

I think Android is quite accomplished as a phone OS. I don't have too many issues (not caused by myself and my reckless rooting) and I feel the OS itself has more to offer in the way of features.

Android for tablets however, I am less convinced.

EDIT: I used to read the Beano.

Most Android apps on tablets are just scaled up phone versions iirc. As for the retina mini, well frankly if it's anything like the iPad 3 you might want to skip a generation until they sort out the internals needed to power that screen. You don't notice it much as the screen resolutions is great for the size, not as noticeable as it was on my iPad 2 by any stretch.

NinjaBoiX

You are in the minority, you must've bought dodgey ones, never had a problem with my S3
You and Kent have both said this.

I wouldn't care, I only use it to browse the net on Google Chrome. That is seriously it, it's the only app I have installed (bar the undeletable ones obviously). But Google image search just randomly throws its hands up a few times a day, the browser will just lock, then boot me back to the home screen, randomly running incredibly slowly, despite only have Gaf and maybe youtube open.

I don't think I could ever seriously recommend Android to anyone based on my experience. I would use iOS if Apple devices weren't insultingly over priced.

/sour grapes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom