• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT3| It's good, but it's not right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
If people lose their credibility, their opinions can matter less

You're clearly not a graphics whore, because those are so fucking mediocre it's unreal

Essentially you should widen your palette, you cant say that a game is the best if you've only played 4

I'm not exactly a big gamer. I play games i enjoy, Don't buy games to sit on a shelf that's for sure.

Tash i have been playing 2 hours of cod a day for about a week now, It's been a while since a game has grabbed me like this. I have every right to voice my opinion about how great the game is.

hipsters who rock older phones to be ironic ftl

I missed this, but fuck off with this bullshit. Some of us don't like paying a contract. Or, you know, can't. My Nokia works just fine, why the fuck shouldn't I use it?

Not to mention it removes any real danger should I lose/damage it.

Kentpaul

I missed this, but fuck off with this bullshit. Some of us don't like paying a contract. Or, you know, can't. My Nokia works just fine, why the fuck shouldn't I use it?

Personal preference, I do a lot of browsing on my mobile and use the apps. I barely make calls though. I was bantering about the hipster comment. (We all know hispers use apple iphones)

I'm sorry for coming across as an asshole, You guys are really ganging up on me. I'm considering just going off the PC to do housework then play BLOPS 2.

hopefully the heat will die down

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
I'm not exactly a big gamer. I play games i enjoy, Don't buy games to sit on a shelf that's for sure.

Then stop talking about the industry you go out of your way not to learn about, I know you enjoy gaming and that's great, but you shit on everything else when you haven't explored any of that
It's okay to not like things!

You've called nintendo irrelevant and you've shit on sony, but you play the most mainstream Mediocre games, there is nothing wrong with that, but it's like ninjaboi

he likes paramore

but he knows it's for 14 year old girls just like call of duty is for ADHD teens who have the attention span of a fork

I'm sorry if you feel like you are being ganged up on, but you are asking for it, ninj literally thought you were trolling!

Personal preference, I do a lot of browsing on my mobile and use the apps. I barely make calls though. I was bantering about the hipster comment. (We all know hispers use apple iphones)

I'm sorry for coming across as an asshole, You guys are really ganging up on me. I'm considering just going off the PC to do housework then play BLOPS 2.

hopefully the heat will die down

I was gonna say, I'm fairly certain hipsters use iPhones or whatever, yeah.

SKINNER!

Banned
dirf7Tw.gif

GIF of the day.

Kentpaul

Then stop talking about the industry you go out of your way not to learn about, I know you enjoy gaming and that's great, but you shit on everything else when you haven't explored any of that
It's okay to not like things!

You've called nintendo irrelevant and you've shit on sony, but you play the most mainstream Mediocre games, there is nothing wrong with that, but it's like ninjaboi

he likes paramore

but he knows it's for 14 year old girls just like call of duty is for ADHD teens who have the attention span of a fork

Its because Nintendo release the same 8 games every year and kick my childhood in the chops every time they do it.

COD is the best selling game so its the most important game in the industry as it makes the most money.

The industry is a business bro and business is all about stacks.

I was gonna say, I'm fairly certain hipsters use iPhones or whatever, yeah.

Can't you just imagine a hipster pulling out a NOKIA 3310 just to make a statement though ? Soon they will strap them to there sides and prance around to show the world.

NinjaBoiX

Kent, we all hate you. Leave the forum now!

Just heated debate fella, it's all good. You just have an unusual willingness to have your consumer rights taken away from you just to play COD while you chat to your friends.

Coldman, I love my work phone. It's the nuts.
(I keep pressing on the screen to edit a text though!)

Edit: Also, sales don't correlate directly to significance Kent, although more onus is put on it than it should. Innovation, progressive movement for the industry, bar-raisers, those are important releases. I'm not sure and of those could be attributed to COD.

Kentpaul

Kent, we all hate you. Leave the forum now!

Just heated debate fella, it's all good. You just have an unusual willingness to have your consumer rights taken away from you just to play COD while you chat to your friends.

Coldman, I love my work phone. It's the nuts.
(I keep pressing on the screen to edit a text though!)

The only thing that kills my vibe off about COD/XBOX is they force you to leave the party chat to play game modes such as search and destroy. That feeling of silence is what i imagine PSN being like.

Ninja, every gamer will be hyped about GHOST soon enough. Just like they were for COD4 all they years ago. Just you watch brah. Its not like we have ever owned a game all we have ever had is a licence to play it.

Kentpaul

Ahhh Team Fortress 2. The amount of time I spend on you makes me question why I spend so much money upgrading my graphics card all the time <3

Such a well optimized engine that looks great on a range of systems.

Hasney

It's an ageing engine, that's for sure. That said, the guys who used to run Infinity Ward up until Modern Warfare 2 are making a new game for PC and Xbone based on the Source engine. That announcement came out of left-field.

You fuckers need to buy Vitas and transcend this nonsense.

If Sony doesn't pull the same stuff as MS with the licensing with PS4, I'm on it. Remote play on my Wii U is too sexy and I'll be doing the same with that combo.

Kentpaul

It's an ageing engine, that's for sure. That said, the guys who used to run Infinity Ward up until Modern Warfare 2 are making a new game for PC and Xbone based on the Source engine. That announcement came out of left-field.

Respawn entertainment ? I'l keep an eye on that for sure. Its amazing how much they done with the id Tech 3 bringing it up to the IW engine 4.

Vita and 3DS for toilet/work/quiet gaming.

PS3 for couch gaming/BD's in the sitting room and X360 for bedroom nerding.

I have all I need.

Until PS4 that is...

Do blu rays look much better than netflixes HD content ? I'v never owned a bluray player.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
No it's not, microsoft have told us about the awful anti-consumer features

They've told us bits and pieces. It's obvious that they are struggling and perhaps the console is not exactly finished yet. I think the (persistent, endless) outcry will affect the final product and how we use it though.

But speaking of consumer rights, what rights are we losing EXACTLY here? The hubub seems mostly around used games and lending out. There are far too many unknowns to judge how this will actually work in the real world however.

As I've said repeatedly, I will wait until next week and see what games are announced and how they're presented. MS has typically had more games that I'm interested in although Sony is very close behind that and is definitely leading now at the end of the gen. I bought a 360 because of Dead Rising and Oblivion - games first, tech and infrastructure second. Whichever console has a game that is a real generational leap will get my money.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

Coldman is a technopauper confirmed. Get off the superhighway, peasant!

Kentpaul

They've told us bits and pieces. It's obvious that they are struggling and perhaps the console is not exactly finished yet. I think the (persistent, endless) outcry will affect the final product and how we use it though.

But speaking of consumer rights, what rights are we losing EXACTLY here? The hubub seems mostly around used games and lending out. There are far too many unknowns to judge how this will actually work in the real world however.

As I've said repeatedly, I will wait until next week and see what games are announced and how they're presented. MS has typically had more games that I'm interested in although Sony is very close behind that and is definitely leading now at the end of the gen. I bought a 360 because of Dead Rising and Oblivion - games first, tech and infrastructure second. Whichever console has a game that is a real generational leap will get my money.

Drooling over dead rising was a big part of my life back in the day.

NinjaBoiX

Ninja, every gamer will be hyped about GHOST soon enough. Just like they were for COD4 all they years ago. Just you watch brah. Its not like we have ever owned a game all we have ever had is a licence to play it.
Oh I can quite believe it. I tell myself every year that I'm going to stop buying CoD, but just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in!

I have CoD WaW/BlOps/MW Trilogy with all the DLC. I bought BlOps2 at launch for £25, finished the campaign then sold it for £30. Score! Gotta get off that DLC carousel man, I must have like 80-90 maps across the five CoD's I own, how much do you need!

Edit: I wouldn't say BD's look LOADS better than Netflix, their algorithm is crazy, but they look a lot better than DVD's. Plus, immaculate sound encoding.

SteveWD40

PC hooked up to TV with controller for "real" games, iPad mini / iPhone for all portable gaming, which right now includes: Warhammer Quest, Talisman, Shadow Era, Poker Night 2, Frozen Synapse, Ridiculous Fishing and the seminal Elder Signs.

Not constrained by physical media and endlessly backwards compatible...

TGLcS.gif

Hasney

Respawn entertainment ? I'l keep an eye on that for sure. Its amazing how much they done with the id Tech 3 bringing it up to the IW engine 4

Yeah, called TitanFall by the looks of it.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=578141&highlight=respawn

They've "clarified" everything now, haven't they? At least the best portions. Sign in every 24 hours, no private re-selling of games (well you can, but they have to be on your friends list for 30 days, so no eBaying or stuff), publishers can choose to block used games entirely if they want to.

10 family members can play your shared games. That one is interesting and needs further clarification.

PC hooked up to TV with controller for "real" games, iPad mini / iPhone for all portable gaming, which right now includes: Warhammer Quest, Talisman, Shadow Era, Poker Night 2, Frozen Synapse, Ridiculous Fishing and the seminal Elder Signs.

Not constrained by physical media and endlessly backwards compatible...

MAH MAN. Well, apart from the iOS stuff. I've sold all that.

My games drive is now 50% full... That's a 1.5TB Steam library... I'm scared.

Kentpaul

Not constrained by physical media and endlessly backwards compatibility...

TGLcS.gif

I do find sometimes when i play a game on the PC i need to browse a few forums to find a fix for some unknown problem. It can be a vibe killer.

I would love a gaming pc in my living room. But the way i had my living room looking a PC would look horrible.

Doesn't help my case is like a decade old (nice kit in the case though ;)

SKINNER!

Banned
But speaking of consumer rights, what rights are we losing EXACTLY here?

Interesting point. Probably not related but has anyone ever read the copyright warnings when they pop in a dvd? It states that you aren't allowed to resale, lend it or publicly show it in schools, buses and (unusually specific) oil rigs but this gets ignored anyway. You always take a dvd to a friends house or bring it into school on the last day before the summer holidays. Perhaps MS aren't crushing consumer rights but merely finding a way to better enforce it. Still, I don't agree with it.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
I've got to go to work soon so I'll respond to you later Jed as I don't want to mis-type anything.

Guys we all need to post our gaming setups

Kentpaul

I've got to go to work soon so I'll respond to you later Jed as I don't want to mis-type anything.

Guys we all need to post our gaming setups

Will do after i do my housework. A nice picture of BLOPS on my TV.

you looking forward to it tash ?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Yeah, called TitanFall by the looks of it.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=578141&highlight=respawn

They've "clarified" everything now, haven't they? At least the best portions. Sign in every 24 hours, no private re-selling of games (well you can, but they have to be on your friends list for 30 days, so no eBaying or stuff), publishers can choose to block used games entirely if they want to.

10 family members can play your shared games. That one is interesting and needs further clarification.

I think the muddling of 'clarifications' just speaks to the fact that everything is in a state of flux right now. They certainly have bungled the announcement for sure, but all of these concerns have precisely fuck all to do with the games themselves. I firmly believe there will be an offline mode. Publishers, not MS (?) have the most control over reselling and lending and it's actually interesting how they're making a difference between lending to a friend and reselling.

tbh the bastard in me really hopes the pubs will push for DRM on PS4, just to see the shitfit that the internet will throw :p Or the lengths they'll go to to defend their beloved Sony.

I actually think MS's biggest mis-step is focussing on live TV and not time-shifted viewing which is where it's all heading these days. If the xbone was a next-gen DVR along with games I'd be all over it like a rash.

Right now I'm totally agnostic. Bring on the games.

no angel

I'm increasingly starting to feel like an outsider here on gaf when it comes to xb1 (refuse to use the term xbone!) opinions. I'm not ready to dismiss it as an anti-consumer downgraded nightmare but neither am I ready to herald it as the next big thing. I just want to make an informed decision once we have confirmed info on the platform and it's current grey areas.

I WANT it to be good but I won't let that cloud my judgement, what I don't understands though is all the people hoping it falls on it's arse. If you really enjoy gaming shouldn't you be hoping that there's more to it than we know and that Microsoft pull it out of the bag?

I'm increasingly starting to feel like an outsider here on gaf when it comes to xb1 (refuse to use the term xbone!) opinions. I'm not ready to dismiss it as an anti-consumer downgraded nightmare but neither am I ready to herald it as the next big thing. I just want to make an informed decision once we have confirmed info on the platform and it's current grey areas.

I WANT it to be good but I won't let that cloud my judgement, what I don't understands though is all the people hoping it falls on it's arse. If you really enjoy gaming shouldn't you be hoping that there's more to it than we know and that Microsoft pull it out of the bag?

Yeah, let's be real: if you actually want this thing to fail, you're immediately suspect. I want the Xbone to do great, because it's going to have a lot of people jumping on from 360, and I'd rather not lose a bunch of the market because Microsoft bungle things up.

I just think that almost every one of the moves so far has been poisonous. I hate them with regards to consumer rights and their perversion of the retail market, but do I want them to fail? Fuck no! I want them to sort their shit out.

It's the difference between having no sympathy for if they do fail, and cheering on the lions as they're torn to pieces.

Kentpaul

All the consoles will be great. I'm just choosing xbox because i prefer xbox live and the games on the xbox.

Ashes

Banned
Theses aren't the biggest jumps in console generations, and we're being screwed over. Got to be blind, not to see that we're being screwed over with the xbone. Our interests don't align. As such I've decided not to buy the xbone this year. And this is helped by rumours of teething problems in the actual hardware and os too.

This isn't a decision based on games though. This is based primarily on principle. And because at this moment in time, I have a choice - there is a viable alternative in the ps4. Well, things may change in the coming weeks, so it may be an artificial choice at best.

Having said that, they are going the itunes route, but a lot more soul destroying with the per hour drm check, at a friends house, and daily drm check over 24 hours.

no angel

Yeah, let's be real: if you actually want this thing to fail, you're immediately suspect. I want the Xbone to do great, because it's going to have a lot of people jumping on from 360, and I'd rather not lose a bunch of the market because Microsoft bungle things up.

I just think that almost every one of the moves so far has been poisonous. I hate them with regards to consumer rights and their perversion of the retail market, but do I want them to fail? Fuck no! I want them to sort their shit out.

It's the difference between having no sympathy for if they do fail, and cheering on the lions as they're torn to pieces.
I absolutely agree but with one caveat. Although their moves so far appear to be poisonous I do believe that until we know the whole picture about things like drm and online requirements we should still be reserving total judgement.

I absolutely agree but with one caveat. Although their moves so far appear to be poisonous I do believe that until we know the whole picture about things like drm and online requirements we should still be reserving total judgement.

We pretty much do. Now that it's on their site, the thing we need to know is what publishers are going to be pushing this DRM and what retailers will be "participating" in the used games scheme.

Hystzen

Didn't MS do a survey and find out 40% of xbox users do not bother with online ...well they screwed.

The issue now is how MS are going to explain these online and used rules to mainstream public or they just going wait before they buy it then put it in user manual

Wiseblade

I guess that makes me suspect. The restrictions on loaning and the private sale of discs make me eager to see the XBO flop on the marketplace for trying to treat a physical product like a digital one. It's still going to have a closed marketplace more akin to XBLA than the PC environment where Steam, GMG, GOG, Origin and a bunch of other retailers are all competing for your custom, so it's a service with all the downsides of digital purchases and none of the competition.

The offline play issue doesn't sit well with me either. I've brought consoles to people's houses countless times, loaned them to friends a few times and had them used for fighting game tournament setups once or twice. I've even lived the Jeff Gerstmann scenario™ of travelling abroad for a fighting game tournament for a weekend and playing offline in my hotel room. There are plenty of situations in which connecting once every 24 hours simply isn't feasible. If you're running a small weekend video game tournament, having to make sure all 10-15 consoles you have are all connected to the internet just to play games is painful. Having one of the consoles lose connection on day one and be locked out in the middle of an important match would be a nightmare. Not to mention it restricts venues exclusively to places that can support an unreasonable number of devices all connected at once. And the issue becomes pretty unmanageable once you start talking about large scale events.

I root for the XBO to fail because it's am almost direct attack on the way have played, do play and want to continue to play games.

Kentpaul

The main room of the home and me and girlfriend have made for ourselfs. Not bad for our first flat.

20130607_121154.jpg

My cod command post!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom