• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT3| It's good, but it's not right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I root against the principles Microsoft are pushing than the console itself. At some point, those two things become too entangled, but I just don't see the Xbone failing to be a beneficial option at all.

My ire is saved for the DRM of physical products, and the forced connectivity. If PS4 doesn't have that, I'm happy. If the PS4 does have that, maybe I'll be happier seeing the Xbone burn (being the catalyst and all), but mostly because I'll be playing on a PC and the live or death of the console market probably won't mean too much at that point.

8bit

Knows the Score
The main room of the home and me and girlfriend have made for ourselfs. Not bad for our first flat.

20130607_121154.jpg

My cod command post!

Is that Pineappleade behind the Bru? Isn't it awkward playing at an angle to the TV?

NinjaBoiX

I guess I root against the principles Microsoft are pushing than the console itself.
Me too.

I mean, the machine itself seems kind of lame compared to the PS4 in terms of raw specs, but it's all the auxiliary stuff MS are doing that I dislike.

Always online (yeah, every 24hrs, it's nigh on the same thing)

Kinect 2 - big brother is watching

Used games

Account DRM

It sounds like a complete fucking mess to be honest.

As Hystzen said, how on earth do they propose to explain this confusing debacle to Joe Public if we nerds are getting confused by it?

Add to that the underwhelming stats of the machine itself and I can't "meh" hard enough.

PS4 sounds like the real deal. XBone sounds like a compromised, cynical cashgrab if I'm honest.

Wiseblade

I guess I root against the principles Microsoft are pushing than the console itself. At some point, those two things become too entangled, but I just don't see the Xbone failing to be a beneficial option at all.

My ire is saved for the DRM of physical products, and the forced connectivity. If PS4 doesn't have that, I'm happy. If the PS4 does have that, maybe I'll be happier seeing the Xbone burn (being the catalyst and all), but mostly because I'll be playing on a PC and the live or death of the console market probably won't mean too much at that point.

They're entangled because the Xbox One is the physical embodiment of those principles. There's no way to separate them. Supporting the XBO is support heavily restrictive DRM on physical products, because that's what it represents. If the PS4 doesn't have these kind of policies/restrictions and the two devices achieve similar levels of success, it sends the message that consumers aren't too bothered by DRM and everything will feature it in the future, to eliminate any situation where consumers may be exploiting loopholes and cheat the system, but to the detriment of many legitimate use-cases. All the other bells and whistles become irrelevant when one system doesn't let me play games in the way I currently do.

Hystzen

Me too.

I mean, the machine itself seems kind of lame compared to the PS4 in terms of raw specs, but it's all the auxiliary stuff MS are doing that I dislike.

Always online (yeah, every 24hrs, it's nigh on the same thing)

Kinect 2 - big brother is watching

Used games

Account DRM

It sounds like a complete fucking mess to be honest.

As Hystzen said, how on earth do they propose to explain this confusing debacle to Joe Public if we nerds are getting confused by it?

Add to that the underwhelming stats of the machine itself and I can't "meh" hard enough.

PS4 sounds like the real deal. XBone sounds like a compromised, cynical cashgrab if I'm honest.

Add in fact the push as a more media device then gaming device, I mean when you don't do internet check up the gaming is blocked but hey you can still watch TV wtf is that about

Wiseblade

Add in fact the push as a more media device then gaming device, I mean when you don't do internet check up the gaming is blocked but hey you can still watch TV wtf is that about

The worst part is that it's worded like "we're still giving you TV" when really it's " "We can't lock off your TV, because then you'd just pick up the remote and leave our ecosystem". Just a sleazy way to try and act like the policies are generous.

NinjaBoiX

All the other bells and whistles become irrelevant when one system doesn't let me play games in the way I currently do.
Well put, this is the crux of the matter.

We are no longer buying games, we are basically purchasing a timed, conditional rental license.

Fuck.

That.

Jazz.

Not to sound cheesy, but seriously, we really do need to make a stand. Otherwise we really are just saying, "yes yes, do what you want, we'll agree to anything as long as we get CoD 10!"

It's the consumer level equivalent of letting your kids get whatever they want; don't set a precedent, if you give them an inch, they'll take a mile.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Is that Pineappleade behind the Bru? Isn't it awkward playing at an angle to the TV?

I'm used to it but if im having a long session il just make the tv face me. The TV stand allows the tv to be moved left or right.

And yes that is pineapple soda. I enjoy it with ice when i play call of duty.

Xbox left side, Ps3 middle and used be Wii on right but you know lol Wii

Isn't having your tv so close to a radiator a fire risk or a risk to the tv itself. ?

They're entangled because the Xbox One is the physical embodiment of those principles. There's no way to separate them. Supporting the XBO is support heavily restrictive DRM on physical products, because that's what it represents. If the PS4 doesn't have these kind of policies/restrictions and the two devices achieve similar levels of success, it sends the message that consumers aren't too bothered by DRM and everything will feature it in the future, to eliminate any situation where consumers may be exploiting loopholes and cheat the system, but to the detriment of many legitimate use-cases. All the other bells and whistles become irrelevant when one system doesn't let me play games in the way I currently do.

Then you don't buy it. And that's your stand against their policies.

The great thing about policies is that they can be reversed. Like I said, I don't want MS to outright fail with the Xbone. My ideal scenario is a) PS4 makes it to launch without any DRM (already a big if), b) it does well for itself, more so than than Xbone and c) MS decides to scrap DRM.

Is this likely? No it's fucking not! But the things that you root for sometimes aren't likely. If you play console games, if you love console games, you want another generation like the last one. Another generation where everyone ended up doing pretty well for themselves. And MS have shown their hand. You can't stop them- you can only buy into what works for you, and then hope that the industry en masse does well for itself, so more great games keep getting. And the industry at the moment needs both of these consoles to do well. And hey, if the no-DRM solutions manage to exert some influence and cause some backtracking, that'll be just grand.

And if the message is sent out that people are OK with DRM, well, guess what: Xbone/PS4/WiiU are gonna be the last physical media generation, anyway. DRM is coming- just hope it waits until Sony's next go-around.

Wiseblade

Then you don't buy it. And that's your stand against their policies.
You know what? I won't.

The great thing about policies is that they can be reversed. Like I said, I don't want MS to outright fail with the Xbone. My ideal scenario is a) PS4 makes it to launch without any DRM (already a big if), b) it does well for itself, more so than than Xbone and c) MS decides to scrap DRM.

Is this likely? No it's fucking not! But the things that you root for sometimes aren't likely. If you play console games, if you love console games, you want another generation like the last one. Another generation where everyone ended up doing pretty well for themselves. And MS have shown their hand. You can't stop them- you can only buy into what works for you, and then hope that the industry en masse does well for itself, so more great games keep getting. And the industry at the moment needs both of these consoles to do well.
I love console games. But you you what I also love? Community run video game tournaments. Microsoft's DRM policies severly impact the practicality of those, so my best case scenario is that the device that represents those policies crashes and burns so that one of my favourite ways to enjoy games still exists in the 9th generation.

And if the message is sent out that people are OK with DRM, well, guess what: Xbone/PS4/WiiU are gonna be the last physical media generation, anyway. DRM is coming- just hope it waits until Sony's next go-around.
And when that day comes, I'll probably go PC-exclusive. at least there's a level of marketplace competition there that doesn't exist on services like XBLA, PSN and the eShops.

I love console games. But you you what I also love? Community run video game tournaments. Microsoft's DRM policies severly impact the practicality of those, so my best case scenario is that the device that represents those policies crashes and burns so that one of my favourite ways to enjoy games still exists in the 9th generation.

The way Sony's being push their live-streaming stuff so far, it'd be a huge bummer if they made the PS4 incapable of sustaining the one "eSport" that actually lives on consoles.

Fingers crossed, eh.

As for the 9th generation... the online checking, I think that goes out of the window once things go digital only. At least, it should do. After all, if Steam can have an offline mode...

Hystzen

Goddamn some actual game websites are going in hard on MS was not expecting that.

now the ultimate choice do I stay up to watch Sony at 2am on tuesday then watch meltdowns if they do go similar route live

Wiseblade

Goddamn some actual game websites are going in hard on MS was not expecting that.

now the ultimate choice do I stay up to watch Sony at 2am on tuesday then watch meltdowns if they do go similar route live

I'm watching it at a friend's house. he's literally a textbook Playstation fanboy (context: he expressed audible disappointment when Kojima was in MS hype reel at the start of the XBO event) to it should be fun times regardless.

My god you people have tiny tvs. I'd post a pic but I'm not home.

So day 2 in Scotland, and it is beeeeeaaaaauuuuutiful. The sun is brightly shinning, I am layered in sun cream and started drinking at 10 this morning. Roller skated most of the way from the campsite into Fort William (2 miles).

Looking forward to all the mountain biking action tomorrow and Sunday.

Where do you live: Wales when not at university, Oxford when at university.

Where in Wales?

Don't know when I'll be online next so stay safe and catch ya later!

Lirlond

You picked the best time to come to Scotland Musha! Fort William is a lovely place, you should go backwards down the Westie while you're here!

Kentpaul

Disclosure's new album is really good so far. Only 1 track in, this is a good beginning.

Finally something to wash away the mediocre new daft punk album.

Rich!

Might as well post my gaming setup here too. Crossposted from the other thread.

Moved into a new house a few months back. My entertainment setup is lame as hell compared to most I've seen on here, but hey:

Thats my daughter's toy box, if you're wondering.

Pictured: My LG 1080p LCD, Wii, dust covered Wii U, Sony BD Player, Sony 2.1 system, sky stuff and my PC with steam/xbmc.

Not pictured: Retro consoles upstairs and handhelds.

also, bonus kitchen pic:

AGuaza6.jpg

and a terrifying image of my cat

bH7H8A2.jpg

Anyway. If I was able to, I would create my ideal set up, complete with wall mounted screen and speakers, concealed cables, custom shelving...but I'm renting this house, so I can't modify anything. But as soon as I buy a house in a few years, it'll happen!

Kentpaul

Might as well post my gaming setup here too. Crossposted from the other thread.

Moved into a new house a few months back. My entertainment setup is lame as hell compared to most I've seen on here, but hey:

Thats my daughter's toy box, if you're wondering.

Pictured: My LG 1080p LCD, Wii, dust covered Wii U, Sony BD Player, Sony 2.1 system, sky stuff and my PC with steam/xbmc.

Not pictured: Retro consoles upstairs and handhelds.

also, bonus kitchen pic:

Anyway. If I was able to, I would create my ideal set up, complete with wall mounted screen and speakers, concealed cables, custom shelving...but I'm renting this house, so I can't modify anything. But as soon as I buy a house in a few years, it'll happen!

Love the rug and sofa combo bro, looks great. I see your uncut grass returns

Rich!

Love the rug and sofa combo bro, looks great. I see your uncut grass returns

thanks

To be totally honest, I thought they were plants

doesn't help that I also ended up cutting the strimmers power cable in half by accident. I'm not good at gardening. My dad used to run a grounds maintenance firm, and I worked with him sometimes. On one occasion, I ended up driving a mower through a garden fence.

Rich!

I keep the wire over my shoulder to avoid cutting it.

Yeah, so do I. But it was my birthday, and I had been drinking. Seemed like a great idea to mow and cut the lawn in the sun. Misjudged it, fucked it up. Had already finished most of the grass so thought fuck it!

Managed to do the front, but at the back I didn't know what was plants, weeds, grass, etc. I'm a fool.

Didn't even realise I had cut the cable until the other day when I went to finish it after your last post!

Kentpaul

Yeah, so do I. But it was my birthday, and I had been drinking. Seemed like a great idea to mow and cut the lawn in the sun. Misjudged it, fucked it up. Had already finished most of the grass so thought fuck it!

Managed to do the front, but at the back I didn't know what was plants, weeds, grass, etc. I'm a fool.

Another entry into the things you have ruined due to drink lol, Mine is a book's worth.

Kentpaul

Ok here goes. (This is a few years old, at Christmas!)

Why is the left speaker not symmetrical to the right ? I don't have OCD but damn. There seems to be some sort of nintendo console in the place it could go. (Could just be the angle but in the first pic it looks further to the left)

Also link to dat mirror.

no angel

Why is the left speaker not symmetrical to the right ? I don't have OCD but damn. There seems to be some sort of nintendo console in the place it could go.

Also link to dat mirror.

Ha, the wii went ages ago! As for the speaker, it probably got nudged closing the blinds. I was always having to straighten it up after my wife's closed them, I've given up now and learned to live with it! I'll see if I can find he mirror for you.

Edit

Our mirror came from Dwell but it appears they no longer sell it. This looks like the same (it very similar) one though.

http://m.homesdirect365.co.uk/frenc...ilver-1864/mirror-glass-multi-angle-16547.htm

Kentpaul

Ha, the wii went ages ago! As for the speaker, it probably got nudged closing the blinds. I was always having to straighten it up after my wife's closed them, I've given up now and learned to live with it! I'll see if I can find he mirror for you.

Your home reminds me of an american home man.

no angel

Your home reminds me of an american home man.
I'm not sure how to take that comment!

Wow, no angel's gaff looks incredible! Nice setup too.

That TV cabinet is boss.

Aw thanks, my wife is big on interior design, to be honest she did a great job on a limited budget. You should've seen the place when we bought it, it's conpletely unrecognisable now! We finally finished everything we wanted to do apart from the bathrooms last year, they were next on the list but as we've decided to move again it kind of seems pointless now. Our next place will be a new build so I'm looking forward to just moving in and not having to worry about any home improvement!

Kentpaul

I'm not sure how to take that comment!

Aw thanks, my wife is big on interior design, to be honest she did a great job on a limited budget. You should've seen the place when we bought it, it's conpletely unrecognisable now! We finally finished everything we wanted to do apart from the bathrooms last year, they were next on the list but as we've decided to move again it kind of seems pointless now. Our next place will be a new build so I'm looking forward to just moving in and not having to worry about any home improvement!

A knew a female was involved with the design when i seen the awesome curtains/pole.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom