• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT3| It's good, but it's not right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking of putting in a long one and watching the whole lot. I have work on Tuesday but whatever, this only happens once a generation.

SKINNER!

Banned
Volunteering for this was the best choice I've ever made. Got to get countless rides in a white van in a crowded van, had laughs, made friends and a bass audition for a band, got a great, front row view of the parade as I dished out bottles of water. So fuckin' pleased with myself.

SteveWD40

Didn't Valve fire all their hardware guys?

Some of them, but we don't know how far along they were or if they hired new ones. They haven't cancelled it publicly in any case.

It seemed as if they controller hardware guys were the ones let go, perhaps they couldn't make it work (Gabe wants accurate mouse style controls on a controller it seems....).

Hystzen

I will miss Sony and nintendo due to heading to festival Wednesday no way staying up getting sleep while can. Might have quick look at Sony news when get up Wednesday morning but rest of E3 will have to wait.

Going to watch MS to see these so called games that are meant to make us ignore the DRM

f0rk

Some of them, but we don't know how far along they were or if they hired new ones. They haven't cancelled it publicly in any case.

It seemed as if they controller hardware guys were the ones let go, perhaps they couldn't make it work (Gabe wants accurate mouse style controls on a controller it seems....).
They barely announced it publicly. I think people were getting themselves too hyped for whatever that is/was

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Holy crap, State of Decay on XBL is the zombie game I've been waiting my whole life for. I have literally described this game a hundred times. And now it exists. Thank you space Jesus.

NinjaBoiX

Holy crap, State of Decay on XBL is the zombie game I've been waiting my whole life for. I have literally described this game a hundred times. And now it exists. Thank you space Jesus.
Yup, loving it. I mean, it's so rough around the edges, and the engine is a dog (no offence Jed), but it's so damn fun! I love the panic when you get mobbed in a house; the nervous glance for the nearest window, running through a grasping hoard to jump through it. Argh! That made too much noise, I alerted another hoard! Where's the car! Good times man.

It's also quite intimidating, loads of layers to the game play systems and such. I'm about two or three hours in, and I think I'm going to start again. I let my resources run low, and Marcus just died. The camp are in disarray, they're angry and scared. I have no influence at all, and a meagre set of weapons.

It was all going so well too. :(

(Have you been introduced to the base building mechanics yet? I kept getting a prompt to build a dorm, but I couldn't work out how to do it.)

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
Yup, loving it. I mean, it's so rough around the edges, and the engine is a dog (no offence Jed), but it's so damn fun! I love the panic when you get mobbed in a house; the nervous glance for the nearest window, running through a grasping hoard to jump through it. Argh! That made too much noise, I alerted another hoard! Where's the car! Good times man.

It's also quite intimidating, loads of layers to the game play systems and such. I'm about two or three hours in, and I think I'm going to start again. I let my resources run low, and Marcus just died. The camp are in disarray, they're angry and scared. I have no influence at all, and a meagre set of weapons.

It was all going so well too. :(

(Have you been introduced to the base building mechanics yet? I kept getting a prompt to build a dorm, but I couldn't work out how to do it.)

is it multiplayer?

NinjaBoiX

No, but it absolutely should be!

SoD2, next gen, big budget, polished to fuck, online co-op, BOOM!

Buy it britGAF, it's ace. (but a bit rubbish at the same time. It's a great proof of concept basically.)

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
i think I may be buggered at work tomorrow taking into account the number of wine glasses I've drunk. Let's hope that this hour before I go to bed will help.

NinjaBoiX

State of Decay looks more janky than interesting.
That's probably true, it makes Dead Rising look like the epitome of polish and optimisation.

But...

It's a nice satisfying mix of crude beat/shoot-em-up, passable stealth, interesting well balanced resource management and light RPG elements. Heading out to do main missions and resource runs during the day when it's calmer, then spending most of the night building up your homestead and keeping your camp satisfied/protected. The odd time you really need to head out a night can be really tense!

Because they mostly come out at night. Mostly.

Reknoc

I watched a quick-look for state of decay but since brad was playing I got bored and didn't learn anything about the game. It looks neat though, will get it if it comes to steam.

f0rk

I'm messing around with XBMC on my PC before a wifi dongle for the Raspberry Pi comes tomorrow and it seems pretty good but the whole set up for music playback sucksss. Wish there was a google music api or whatever available.
Really the whole experience seems quite hacked together, but there isn't anything that unifies streaming video and music from a PC is there? Having apps like twitch with full options is good too
Maybe there's a better skin

NinjaBoiX

So I started SoD again, I'm doing so much better now that I'm used to the mechanics, and have worked out how to build stuff! I played for two hours (a full day and night), nobody died, I went to stock up on meds, moral is good in the camp, I managed to get the dorms built, still need some saws to finish building the infirmary, I have plenty of influence, enough resources to last three days at least, and a locker full of weapons and ammo.

I love this game. It's great when kind of rubbish games transcend the sum of their parts and become a really compelling experience. Don't judge it on a video Reknoc, it looks crap, and in a lot of ways it is, but I can't recommend it enough.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
So I started SoD again, I'm doing so much better now that I'm used to the mechanics, and have worked out how to build stuff! I played for two hours (a full day and night), nobody died, I went to stock up on meds, moral is good in the camp, I managed to get the dorms built, still need some saws to finish building the infirmary, I have plenty of influence, enough resources to last three days at least, and a locker full of weapons and ammo.

I love this game. It's great when kind of rubbish games transcend the sum of their parts and become a really compelling experience. Don't judge it on a video Reknoc, it looks crap, and in a lot of ways it is, but I can't recommend it enough.

Yeah agreed, it seems like much more than the sum of it's parts. For me, the game is about possibilities so far. I'm really early into the game but I can't wait to really explore the area and get some classic zombie-survivor feeling. I've wanted and open, persistent world zombie game for forever, I'll overlook a lot of jank for a long time.

SKINNER!

Banned
Morning all

E3 times looks pretty decent time-wise for the UK. Gonna watch the MS one at work and then head home and stay up all night until the Sony one is done. Will be in the #IRC if/when GAF goes down.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.

Really wanting this game, i may cave and buy today.

State of Decay looks more janky than interesting.

Learn to enjoy real games, Its not all about big AAA budget titles.

Day Z standalone is out soon iirc.

I spent to much time in dayz lost in the middle of nowhere bleeding out getting chased of zombies.

It not even worth it ifs free. Fable 1 was a one hit wonder and the rest just fail to live up to it.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Still don't know if I'm going to stay up for Sony. They often show good stuff but for years they stretch things out and it can get very dull.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Still don't know if I'm going to stay up for Sony. They often show good stuff but for years they stretch things out and it can get very dull.

You can totally watch it when you get up tomorrow, skip through the corporate bs and sports games and have saved hours of your life. Plus GAF is always broke when these things are on, it's no fun.

Waking up to a post-conference GAF is a bit like waking up when it snowed, everything is different and beautiful.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Exactly, wtf man? You need to support more indie devs like Infinity Ward!

state of decay is really interesting though, especially if you like weird little games

I sure do and i will enjoy it when i buy it.

E3 be dammed we have the game of forever

NinjaBoiX

You can totally watch it when you get up tomorrow, skip through the corporate bs and sports games and have saved hours of your life. Plus GAF is always broke when these things are on, it's no fun.

Waking up to a post-conference GAF is a bit like waking up when it snowed, everything is different and beautiful.
Yup.

I'm watching MS, EA and Ubisoft tonight, then the Sony and Ninty stuff tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom