• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT3| It's good, but it's not right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jordan

I got really really bored this evening and started playing some Black Ops 2 with an ex work colleague... Everybody in the game was talking utter bollocks in the lobby about how they were so good - so I decided to play a troll styled game using pistol only... Needless to say, they got absolutely fucking destroyed and I was wetting myself!

Creating the videos now, hope I can get them on YT or something - would be pretty neat to show you guys

I don't understand.

See above, I was just playing the entire game with a pistol and a knife. The guys in there were thinking they were gods gift at the game so I just decided to play stupidly

Guys I could be wrong but I read that as comics as in comedians.

And the answer to that is "it's not just you; the Americans are are couple of decades behind us in terms of humour."

I see the word comics, I immediately think books.

I'm tentatively intrigued Musha. What picture had I painted in your head?

Does this mean a struggle snuggle is off the table?

I dunno really.

And isn't the point of a struggle snuggle that I don't have to agree to it?

afoni

Banned
Speaking of books, I can't find my copy of the Time Machine. Was going to read it earlier but it seems to have grown legs and fucked off somewhere.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I am trapped in a vortex of self-reflection that will not cease to continue illuminating just how needlessly cruel and meaningless our colorful and tenuous existence is.

While W8 can be a bit awkward at times, I'm not minding it now. Stuck my apps at the start of the Start Screen, one click away with the Windows key, got used to the two finger scroll on my laptop.

Oh and the first icon of mine is Chrome in its own category, so once I've launched that I barely need to touch Metro.

Suairyu

Banned
I'm sure that for touch screen laptops and PCs it works great, but using it with a mouse feels very awkward.
You're on a desktop, you shouldn't be using a mouse to navigate the start menu or launch programs. Use the damn keyboard like you're meant to.

Windows key > type "st" > hit enter

boom, you just launched Steam.

Isn't Windows 8 a pain in the arse if you do a lot of gaming?
95% of my gaming is PC based. Not a single problem so far. I know Valve shamefully were spewing "it's the end of gaming!!!!" rhetoric because they weren't allowed on the app store, but who honestly is going to buy desktop games from an app store anyway?

Gaming works on 8 just like it did on 7, which was just like it did on Vista, which was just like XP but with more incompatibility problems on account of them writing the code-base from scratch.

Jordan

You're on a desktop, you shouldn't be using a mouse to navigate the start menu or launch programs. Use the damn keyboard like you're meant to.

Windows key > type "st" > hit enter

boom, you just launched Steam.

95% of my gaming is PC based. Not a single problem so far. I know Valve shamefully were spewing "it's the end of gaming!!!!" rhetoric because they weren't allowed on the app store, but who honestly is going to buy desktop games from an app store anyway?

Gaming works on 8 just like it did on 7, which was just like it did on Vista, which was just like XP but with more incompatibility problems on account of them writing the code-base from scratch.

I've had one incompatible game on Windows 8 and that's Populous, but that's extremely old and apparently was a cunt to get working on Windows 7 - so I'm not massively bothered by that at the moment... Other than that, everything works great and I'm playing all the games I normally play :)

Danj

I know Valve shamefully were spewing "it's the end of gaming!!!!" rhetoric because they weren't allowed on the app store, but who honestly is going to buy desktop games from an app store anyway?

but who honestly is going to buy desktop games from an app store anyway?

buy desktop games from an app store

buy desktop games from an app store

The irony is palpable. You know Steam counts as an app store, right? They sell apps too.

Chinner

Banned
i've had no problems with gaming on W8 and i've had no problems with metro or the new gesture inputs ( because i've disabled all of them). what i do have consistent problems with is the really poor driver and stability issues. can't really count how many issues with wifi etc or random hard crashes.

so yeah, windows 8 may be a faster windows 7, but it's a bit like pushing someone in a wheelchair down some stairs - sure, they'll fly down quite quickly, but you know it's going to crash at some point.

afoni

Banned
i've had no problems with gaming on W8 and i've had no problems with metro or the new gesture inputs ( because i've disabled all of them). what i do have consistent problems with is the really poor driver and stability issues. can't really count how many issues with wifi etc or random hard crashes.

so yeah, windows 8 may be a faster windows 7, but it's a bit like pushing someone in a wheelchair down some stairs - sure, they'll fly down quite quickly, but you know it's going to crash at some point.

Beautiful.

Suairyu

Banned
The irony is palpable. You know Steam counts as an app store, right? They sell apps too.
I differentiate between applications and "apps", which is a term applied to contained software that runs as part of the system software and take up the entire screen ie. iPhone apps.

Very different thing to buying game applications through steam.

Real gamers only buy from GoG anyway

:p

Amazing.

Suairyu

Banned
Has the 3DS been hacked yet?

I have £130 in CEX credit burning a hole in my wallet but won't buy a handheld that doesn't let me go disc less sensibly* ever again.

*Nintendo's "tie the licence to the hardware rather than an account system" is not sensible for me.

SKINNER!

Banned
bm4vGYR.png

This made me chuckle a little bit. I miss games like this!

Haha ace. LOVE Theme Hospital to death (pun intended). All time favourite sim game. My primary teacher gave me a shot of it (alongside MS 3D Movie Maker and I can't recall how many weekends I spent playing it.

In other news, I think I just found my new favourite cat video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gtf-3-jbqbg

Oh, and I've been playing The Last of Us from 10am Saturday morning to 3am Sunday morning straight. Wow, this game is stunningly captivating.

Danj

I differentiate between applications and "apps", which is a term applied to contained software that runs as part of the system software and take up the entire screen ie. iPhone apps.

Steam has Big Picture mode, does that not count? And I guess third-party app stores like the Amazon App Store don't count on Android platforms because they're not part of the system software? Also, when I said they sell apps, I meant they sell non-game software as well as games. I think by any reasonable definition Steam could be said to be an app store, it's just a PC/Mac/Linux-only one.

Suairyu

Banned
I think by any reasonable definition Steam could be said to be an app store, it's just a PC/Mac/Linux-only one.
No. "Apps" was a term used by Apple (and then the whole mobile market) to differentiate between traditional software and what they were selling through the app store.

The distinction is one the software makers themselves invented.

Software sold in Steam does not fit the category of "apps" as I was using it. Nor would it be a good fit for the W8 app store.

A big picture only frontend of Steam might be a good fit for the W8 store, mind.

SmokyDave

Has the 3DS been hacked yet?

I have £130 in CEX credit burning a hole in my wallet but won't buy a handheld that doesn't let me go disc less sensibly* ever again.

*Nintendo's "tie the licence to the hardware rather than an account system" is not sensible for me.
V
I
T
A

(If you read that dingbat style as 'Vita is going down', you're a bad person).

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
Isnt apps just a shorter word for applications doe su? Or is it REAAAAALLY apple branding?

Fuuccckk gotta go to work BYE BYEBEYEBYEBYEBE gaf

Suairyu

Banned
Isnt apps just a shorter word for applications doe su? Or is it REAAAAALLY apple branding?
Had you asked me when apple launched the app store, I'd have called it a simple abbreviation and apple marketing, yes.

But the term took off and now near about every hardware and software company uses it, so I conceded defeat.

Sunday Gunday!

Entered my first competition at the club today (only £1 entry). 25m, free-standing with scope. I was firing an underlever rifle (cowboy gun, or Arnie in T2 when he's on the motorbike) with 357 special ammo.

We got 5 mins to fire 10 shots:
Which I think went pretty well. Then we had to do another 10 shots in 20 seconds:
This felt ridiculously fast - 1 shot every 2 seconds gives you basically no time to aim at all! Anyway, I managed to get one in the centre (and shoot the fuck out of the scoring box for some reason). I'll be pretty chuffed if I come 'not last'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom