• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT3| It's good, but it's not right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suairyu

Banned
How American of you.

Edit - CeX has some off brand 2.5 drive going. "Mediamax". Google tells me it'll be another manufacturers (pot luck who you get!) rebranded. I'm gonna chance it.

Also they have a GameCube controller in stock. Result.

I also am not fond of Nintendo's highly secure backup service, but will make an exception for Animal Crossing because the convenience is amazing.

Chinner

Banned
You're getting Animal Crossing. You will not be swapping out carts any time soon.

yeah indeed, must be pretty dire if people are more willing to play animal crossing than the 20 other mario games.

also smokey dave, props about uncharted golden abyss. i went in pretty skeptical after UC3, but i'm enjoying it a lot. it's like an anti-uncharted 3, in which it isn't obsessed over pushing you from one set-piece to another, and concentrates more on the lower scale. quite nice.

Suairyu

Banned
also smokey dave, props about uncharted golden abyss. i went in pretty skeptical after UC3, but i'm enjoying it a lot. it's like an anti-uncharted 3, in which it isn't obsessed over pushing you from one set-piece to another, and concentrates more on the lower scale. quite nice.
What I played of it irritated me with all the touch gimmicks.

SmokyDave

I cannot stress enough how much I love Tropiero. A restaurant that fills you full of the most delicious meats and then goads you to eat more. Me 'n' the missus are camped out here for the remainder of the day. I'm going to need a forklift to get me out of my chair.

But then I'd likely buy a WiiU, and nobody wants that.
I said 'lower', not 'abolish'.

yeah indeed, must be pretty dire if people are more willing to play animal crossing than the 20 other mario games.

Glad you're enjoying it, man. It has a permanent place on my memory card. Fingers crossed for a sequel!

NinjaBoiX

Dante is an amusing character too. Chase felt like a token female to be honest, she was endearing enough but felt superfluous.

Reknoc

Dante is an amusing character too. Chase felt like a token female to be honest, she was endearing enough but felt superfluous.

Yea. Shame there was very little good character interaction between Drake and Dante, or Drake and anyone really. Drake seemed to be really angry through out the entire game.

Suairyu

Banned
Okay, so, I know right now it seems like we can't go two days without a gender/race/whatever in gaming/journalism thread/article right now, but this is actually an exciting time. For years a very small section of journalists and forum posters have been screaming to have these issues recognised as both a) an actual problem, and b) unacceptable.

I think we're at a very delicate point right now, and one or two final pushes will determine if we go one of two ways:
1 - these issues become fully accepted as issues, the dialogue explodes while simultaneously becoming more relaxed. People won't need to scream "THIS IS SEXIST" because other people will be more willing to listen and debate. Companies will be able to be held to account with a fifty-page shouting match between the angry and the ignorant.
or
2 - it gets so annoying that it is shut down right before it achieves what it should achieve, and the whole thing gets knocked back a decade.

You know what my dream is? My dream is that people can engage with Anita's Feminist Frequency series of videos and disagree with the poor criticism on an intelligent level, rather than saying "female x can't be an object because she is seeing punching someone in the balls in a post-credits scene!!!" or saying "only sexists see sexism" or threatening to rape her or some shit.
Because we don't have that right now, you know? Instead of intelligent engagement with these genuine issues, we just have some people attempting to highlight them and some others screaming "I JUST WANT TO HAVE FUN AND TALK ABOUT VIDEOGAMES!!!"

I will now gladly accept everyone's bets as to which direction (1 or 2) this thing will go.

Sadly, I give better odds for 2, so 1 will be the real money-maker if you're game

I said 'lower', not 'abolish'.
Has your purchase made you a stronger man against "omfg that deal is sick!!!"? I genuinely hope you've grown as a result.

My moment was when I looked at how many Steam games I had vs. how many I'd played. It was a sobering revelation.

Chinner

Banned

i don't disagree.

just got to the point when sully is introduced in the game. thought i was near the end but apparently theres 34 chapters...

SmokyDave

Smoky, you're gaffing at a restaurant?
Indeed, I am. I reckon the missus is lurking too. It's not so much a restaurant as a place to chill that just happens to keep bringing us barbecued meat.

Has your purchase made you a stronger man against "omfg that deal is sick!!!"? I genuinely hope you've grown as a result.

My moment was when I looked at how many Steam games I had vs. how many I'd played. It was a sobering revelation.
Nope, I'm still a sucker for hardware. Any hardware. I think I've 'properly' played about 30 of my 500 Steam games. Oops.

Indeed, I am. I reckon the missus is lurking too. It's not so much a restaurant as a place to chill that just happens to keep bringing us barbecued meat.

Nope, I'm still a sucker for hardware. Any hardware. I think I've 'properly' played about 30 of my 500 Steam games. Oops.

Yep, I'm totally lurking. Who needs to talk on a date anyway?

We were just talking about you, though, so all the bailout gifs were funny.

If you actually stick around we'll welcome you with open arms and stuff.

That's hardly discouragement now, is it?

Then I shall! I'll do the census when I get home as I'm a bit of a technotard with my phone (as evidenced by my double post gaffe).

Nice to meet you all, by the way!

Jordan

Then I shall! I'll do the census when I get home as I'm a bit of a technotard with my phone (as evidenced by my double post gaffe).

Nice to meet you all, by the way!

Welcome, have a calming cat :)

Bp7yaSr.gif

NinjaBoiX

Ninja, make Musha leave her current beau and we can have two!
I'm not man enough for Musha dude, her inimitable sass and self confidence is attractive and intimidating in equal measure.

I think we'll just be friends.

But Tash, me and Mike will "fite IRL" for that dreamboat!

Mikeside

I'm not man enough for Musha dude, her inimitable sass and self confidence is attractive and intimidating in equal measure.

I think we'll just be friends.

But Tash, me and Mike will "fite IRL" for that dreamboat!

I'm one up on you. Tash and I slept in the same bed already. I was pretty drunk so I have no memory of us specifically not making sweet love.

Reknoc

This uncharted talk made me finally check out jak and daxter so I bought it on the vita. Then, when trying to figure out how I can download them individually like it said I can because I'm not made of money and only have a dinky 8GB card, find out they're really shitty ports :(

Cancelled download and started downloading it on the ps3 instead. Thanks cross buy.

That sounds like a place I would like to be.

Okay, so, I know right now it seems like we can't go two days without a gender/race/whatever in gaming/journalism thread/article right now, but this is actually an exciting time. For years a very small section of journalists and forum posters have been screaming to have these issues recognised as both a) an actual problem, and b) unacceptable.

...snip snip ...

Because we don't have that right now, you know? Instead of intelligent engagement with these genuine issues, we just have some people attempting to highlight them and some others screaming "I JUST WANT TO HAVE FUN AND TALK ABOUT VIDEOGAMES!!!"

I will now gladly accept everyone's bets as to which direction (1 or 2) this thing will go.

It's interesting - the Penny Arcade mess the other day, while rightly picked up on the trans issues, came from the panel thing. And while I don't know anything about the people and the description was needlessly provocative, it did raise what I think should be genuinely discussed - and not that whether gender/race/humanity are issues, of course they are, but the tone and way they should be addressed and where we go from here. Not that we just bow down to "YEAH FUCK OFF ITS NOTHING", but are there people who could understand it being put off by the adversarial nature of the online discussions? How do you cover these issues in a way that will interest people currently not engaged but that will have an effect? I think that's a discussion worth having.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom