• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT3| It's good, but it's not right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suairyu

Banned
Oh shit that Monae video is getting played the moment I get home.

She's probably my favourite popular music artist currently producing.

NinjaBoiX

Nice one Murray!

Haha

'Suairyu and The Quest for Sterility' has been a tale well documented in this thread. Believe me, this is the best news I've had all year.

I think the main discussion of him getting the snip was before your time, NinjaBoi. So yeah it was a conscious decision and he is genuinely happy that it has turned out exactly as he designed.

In other news, Janelle Monae's video for QUEEN is amazing. Wish GreenScar was still here to enjoy it with me.
Oh good. Great news then dude, one less thing to worry about! ;)

Yeah, I think I recognise her name. I'll check this out, right now!

Edit: holy shit, Erykah Badu? Sold already.

Suairyu

Banned
I know I was the one who had blades and cauterising irons there, but let's just say that I'm not going to be the one who is sore in the morning after today's news!

:D

NinjaBoiX

Wow, that was quite something Jackben! Yeah man, that lady is superfly. Too cool for school.

I will be checking out some more of her stuff, that was my first taste. Any recommendations?

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.

shirt_spritersresource_brofist_MED.jpg

I know I was the one who had blades and cauterising irons there, but let's just say that I'm not going to be the one who is sore in the morning after today's news!

:D
I keep imagining that story of the dude who got the snip quietly on his own but always used condoms in his relationships. One day he finds out from the gal he is seeing that she is pregnant and she gets very smug and ahead of herself in planning their wedding and all the things that obviously have to happen. And he just comes in the next day, fucks her one last time, and then lays in front of her the papers proving he has been sterile for years now.

Suairyu

Banned
shirt_spritersresource_brofist_MED.jpg

I keep imagining that story of the dude who got the snip quietly on his own but always used condoms in his relationships. One day he finds out from the gal he is seeing that she is pregnant and she gets very smug and ahead of herself in planning their wedding and all the things that obviously have to happen. And he just comes in the next day, fucks her one last time, and then lays in front of her the papers proving he has been sterile for years now.
... That's actually similar to my plan if a girl ever claimed to be pregnant by me before I told her about the sterility thing (which would occur at the one year mark).

My absolute ideal would be for a former fling to take me to court over an alleged love child. Despite the cost of a lawyer, I would let that shit play out a bit for fun if possible. I'd consider it ppv entertainment.

Suairyu

Banned
Her EP Metropolis is still my favourite work by her. It's also the first part of her SciFi story and explains her public persona's concept, so go for that first.

NinjaBoiX

Nice, plenty of choices.

I'll give these a listen guys. It's a shame I've never checked her out sooner, she's great! Erykah showing up at the end, then that rap to close, it was like some Bohemian Rhapsody shit with all the dynamic changes in style.

Ha, "Queen", random coincidence, or crazy psychology at work.

So this QUEEN project is her and Erykah, but she's got some solo stuff prior right?

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Nice, plenty of choices.

I'll give these a listen guys. It's a shame I've never checked her out sooner, she's great! Erykah showing up at the end, then that rap to close, it was like some Bohemian Rhapsody shit with all the dynamic changes in style.

Ha, "Queen", random coincidence, or crazy psychology at work.

So this QUEEN project is her and Erykah, but she's got some solo stuff prior right?
It's all Janelle solo, with various artists sometimes featuring in her songs. Erykah is her biggest thus far AFAIK.

The QUEEN bit is only related to the title and subject of the song as it relates to the overall narrative world she operates in with her albums. All the albums are under her name as an artist, Janelle Monae.

The story she crafts that flows through her albums starting with her EP leading to her first LP and her yet to be released new album all deal with a fictional world in which she plays herself alongside a group of revolutionaries who use music as a form of rebellion against the dystopian forces that have crushed creativity and individual expression.

Metropolis --> ArchAndroid --> The Electric Lady (Unreleased)

NinjaBoiX

Oh right. Jesus, what am I getting myself into!

I like the sound of it all though, it's an interesting concept.

I'll try and get a hold of it before I head down on the train for the meet on Saturday, perfect time to soak it all in.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
To be fair, I just now have started checking out Massive Attack thanks to Kentpaul's posts. Never really consciously listened to any of their music before that. Now I know where the House theme comes from.

NinjaBoiX

Don't get me started on MA. That shit's my jam.

Mezzanine > Heligoland > Protection > 100th Window > Blue Lines

Fucking incredible band man.

NinjaBoiX

Has anyone heard this?

http://youtu.be/FPHhNuSdrYE

I'm really liking it, not my usual taste
Pretty nice, I recognise the "clarity why are you my remedy" line. I could swear I've heard it sampled in a dance track recently.

Also, lol at repping Beats headphones in the video; no professional music studio worth its salt would have Beats as reference headphones.

/nerdout

Edit: oh god, it was a Glee cover I was thinking of. I would link it, but I like you guys.

Why do I know this?

Why is Glee a thing?

Pretty nice, I recognise the "clarity why are you my remedy" line. I could swear I've heard it sampled in a dance track recently.

Also, lol at repping Beats headphones in the video; no professional music studio worth its salt would have Beats as reference headphones.

/nerdout

Edit: oh god, it was a Glee cover I was thinking of. I would link it, but I like you guys.

Why do I know this?

Why is Glee a thing?

It's originally a dance track, this is just the acoustic version

Ashes

Banned
The girl in the purple top is Lucinda Dickey. It's from the movie Breakin'.

8bit
Knows the Score
(Today, 09:57 PM)

Thanks. There's a best of vid on youtube, where only her parts in the film is shown. :p
Even that was intolerable, so I just drowned out the music by playing Sak Noel - Loca People in the back ground.

A real shame. It's not surprising though. I have three nephews and a niece of reading age and none of them would have even heard of the Beano or the Dandy. I would probably buy some Best Ofs if they were reasonably priced, around the level of the Judge Dredd Complete Case Files.

I hear The Phoenix is meant to be good for kids, but nowhere in Ireland stocks it apart from a few shops in Dublin and Belfast.

Sadetar

We need a new question in the OP thingy.

Edit: do you have a loud voice Sadetar? Because maybe you have a loud voice!
It is debatable. I guess it depends how you define loud voice.

I don't personally think I would have particularly loud voice.

Then again when I had outdoor tours in a museums I am fairly sure that all the +80 ladies heard me from half a mile away.

But then again I am sure I am not always that loud.

Sadetar

I read that whole post as if it was in caps. You now, through no fault of your own, shout your posts at me Sadetar.

"Ahaha-arrhh!"
Hahah, oh great.

I think you now need to send me a message on Xbox so I can easily check your profile once in a while if I have time and talk with you couple words in there some day if we happen to me online same time.

Edit: I mean I could easily go and check if you are online when I am gaming on Xbox and send you a party invitation if I would be lucky enough to catch you there.

Edit2: It still sounds way more douchey that it was intended to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom