• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT3| It's good, but it's not right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone here played Dragon Quest IX? A few hours in here, wondering what to expect in terms of story, since my character and party are self created, meaning no personality or charm to them. Worried I'm just going to get 20-30 hours in and be hugely bored.

faridmon

OK, new here. Attended Saturdays meet up and thought it was great. People recommend me to drop by here so here it goes:

Where do you live: Birmingham/London
Where are you from: Norway
University: London Southbank University
Favourite Sport: Handball
Political party of choice: non in UK (SV in Norway)
Favourite thing on the box: Anime *hides*
Favourite crisp flavour: depends on the mood
Favourite biscuit: depends on the mood
Favourite Pokemon POST 151: Post 151? Fuck that shit. Balstoise bitches
Beano or Dandy: I don't even know what the hell are those...

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Winner just for Blastoise alone.

As a general topic, what is one thing ye subjects of BritGAF feel strongly about that isn't video games?

Be it nutrition, moral, political or societal I don't care I'm just curious what you guys and girls are most passionate about in your lives.

A few of mine would probably be the importance of growing something in a garden, traveling abroad or generally communicating with other cultures, and writing for personal exploration and gain.

faridmon

As a general topic, what is one thing ye subjects of BritGAF feel strongly about that isn't video games?

Mine is Indie Music (Specially Japanese Indie scene). I do admit that I spend a lot of time researching about niche bands and genre just to experience different musical sounds and atmosphere. I even have my own blog about
I am sure you guys aren't interested in reading some nerdy descriptions of bands :p

Also, ask me anything, etc, etc.

On that note everyone should listen to Lillies and remains. One of the best bands in recent years. They are also constantly quality with every release they drop.

Example; Moralist S.S. - Fake - Argo - You're Blind - Unmade Schemer - Part of Grace - Learn to stand, walk, run, climb and dance. One cannot fly into flying.

I have met the dudes and they were totally cool. However, too bad the main vocalist is Liverpool fan. I had to give him a strong, ugly facial expression for quite sometime after he announced his alliance. Lucky for him, he makes awesome music.

so, er, should we separate britgaf threads perhaps? one for the south and one for everywhere else?

Oh Chinner, I know you must be hurting real bad inside because of me and Ninja, but it would have never worked between me and you. I'm sorry, I hope you can move on in time.

OK, new here. Attended Saturdays meet up and thought it was great. People recommend me to drop by here so here it goes:

Yay! Was lovely meeting you, really glad you came, you are an absolute dude! Good to see you in here, hope you stick around and share your music passion and knowledge some more

Jordan

'effin mondays.

Just quoting 'cause that's how I feel. Got about three hours sleep max, woke up with zero energies and zero fucks.

IFUb9z3.gif

Not sure whether to go gym after work or not today due to my lack of sleep. Got a choice of cardio, weights or swimming (yes I realise swimming is also cardio, but fuck running then swimming)

dgZnbN8.gif

Suairyu

Banned
Dreamt a bunch of you got too drunk on a meet up and ended up posting nudes, thus getting banned.

Youve all got surprisingly fit dream bodies.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Anyone here played Dragon Quest IX? A few hours in here, wondering what to expect in terms of story, since my character and party are self created, meaning no personality or charm to them. Worried I'm just going to get 20-30 hours in and be hugely bored.
Well I assume you have noticed your party is a bunch of nobodies and that all cutscenes of you and waifu material Stella. There is an over arching storyline but for the most part it is a fairly competent RPG one. The meat really is the sub stories of each of the towns.

Oh and don't forget to go through the pain of getting your DS online so you can download the extra quests before it is too late (saying that I haven't even beaten them all)

Mikeside

Mine is Indie Music (Specially Japanese Indie scene). I do admit that I spend a lot of time researching about niche bands and genre just to experience different musical sounds and atmosphere. I even have my own blog about
I am sure you guys aren't interested in reading some nerdy descriptions of bands :p

Also, ask me anything, etc, etc.

I'll definitely be checking some of these music recommendations today thanks man.

Glad you've popped in here - was good chatting to you at the one place in Borderline with a breeze and making those sweaty girls jealous!

Jackben - I guess I'm pretty passionate about music, literature and people. I think saying 'people' sounds weird but I just love meeting random people and getting to know them and the things they're into or excited about.

NinjaBoiX

Full 8 hour block of sleep, feels Goodman! Still laying around in bed, I'll get up properly soon enough.
Yeah I didn't sleep too well because of the heat, and considering the lack of sleep I've had all weekend that's not good. I've just decided I'm going to call in sick, have a lie in and chill out today.
I had a feeling this might happen. Weak sauce Musha.
Dreamt a bunch of you got too drunk on a meet up and ended up posting nudes, thus getting banned.

Darren, real talk. Dude's built like a brick shithouse.
Bout an hour, I'm used to it though.

This was my best ever bus ride home :)
It really was. It was like a dream, I'll never forget it. Such a light head man, I can be your pillow whenevs fräulein!

Is it weird that my housemate didn't ask about my weekend at all when I got in last night? I even asked him about his to get the ball rolling, "I've been at work mate." Done.

He's such an anti social oddball at times. My pal Pablo text me on the way home to see how it went for gods sake!

Meh, I'm over it. *sniff*

afoni

Banned
This past week has been a good one to me. This heat is just a lovely dollop of sweat beads on an otherwise lovely past 7 days.

Well I assume you have noticed your party is a bunch of nobodies and that all cutscenes of you and waifu material Stella. There is an over arching storyline but for the most part it is a fairly competent RPG one. The meat really is the sub stories of each of the towns.

Oh and don't forget to go through the pain of getting your DS online so you can download the extra quests before it is too late (saying that I haven't even beaten them all)

Yeah Stella is pretty cool, which is probably why I wish all the characters are developed in such a manner. I'll stick with it though and see how the next few towns grab me. Would you recommend DQVIII for the PS2?

Urgh don't remind me. What is it with Nintendo and online features? You'd think they'd have thought ahead more with the online infrastructure.

SKINNER!

Banned
Shorty, I was super tired today man, my housemate clattered home with some of his mates on Saturday morning at like 3am, I've had about 3-4 hours sleep since Friday.

I realised I was kind of giving short responses to some of your questions. When we got on to music, I'd have usually been chewing your ear off, but I just literally didn't have the energy.

I hope you can make the next one dude, I'll make sure I'm properly rested next time!

Nah, don't sweat over it man. We still covered a lot of other stuff and the early morning living room/balcony hangout (coupled with impromptly watching Murray's win) made it quite a memorable weekend. Fingers crossed that I can maybe squeeze another london trip this year. Gotta put some money aside for travelling in September. If not then spring time next year for sure.

Glad to see you're here man! I was telling the others on Sunday morning about how me, selfish pizza and yourself were having a random conversation about Chinese labour and trade/import/customs relations at De Hems and the "wtf?!" look on their faces was priceless. Also, still jelly you got to see Franz Ferdinand for free and had a drink with the lead.

Funny you mention that...

oh wait, that actually didn't happen.

Reknoc

It's one of the best JRPGs on the DS and one of the best games on the system. Overshadowed only by DQIV and V. Your own party is relatively unimportant as is the overarching story. DQ games are all about the small stories surrounding the towns you visit.

Yeah Stella is pretty cool, which is probably why I wish all the characters are developed in such a manner. I'll stick with it though and see how the next few towns grab me. Would you recommend DQVIII for the PS2?

Urgh don't remind me. What is it with Nintendo and online features? You'd think they'd have thought ahead more with the online infrastructure.

VIII is a stunning looking game, and certainly worth playing, especially if you can run it through an emulator.

edit: the online "DLC" is smart to get on DQIX, don't forget the game also has proto-street passing! (lol, my inn will forever be empty)

edit edit: DS dragon quests are S-tier pun games.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

DQVIII has a fixed party so the characters are better developed and all the voice work is British so that's a bonus! Don't know if it is worth going straight from on DQ game to another mind. Also it still adopts random battles when you run around the main map which I know for some in this day and age is a bit of a bugbear.

Yeah, the DS only being able to use the encryption no one uses these days is a drag. Used to have a spare router setup just for the DS, but now that I'm on Fibre which requires its own modem I don't think that trick works.

edit: the online "DLC" is smart to get on DQIX, don't forget the game also has proto-street passing! (lol, my inn will forever be empty)
Requiring both users to be on the exact same streetpassing screen at the same time. No wonder one would never get any. I even went to a DQ event (bit late mind since I was busy in the morning) and only got about three since everyone else was likely busy playing the game.

On that note everyone should listen to Lillies and remains. One of the best bands in recent years. They are also constantly quality with every release they drop.

Example; Moralist S.S. - Fake - Argo - You're Blind - Unmade Schemer - Part of Grace - Learn to stand, walk, run, climb and dance. One cannot fly into flying.

I have met the dudes and they were totally cool. However, too bad the main vocalist is Liverpool fan. I had to give him a strong, ugly facial expression for quite sometime after he announced his alliance. Lucky for him, he makes awesome music.

"Lillies and Remains" - They must be fans of Bauhaus ;) Love me some post punk. Attractive Asians, yeah I can get my otaku sister into this band XD

Love that shredding in Moralist SS, reminds me of Arctic Monkeys' "Brianstorm". They've got great energy on "Devaloka".

Their albums go for quite the chunk of money, near to £30 on each of the three albums. Don't even know what tracks the album contains, at least according to Amazon UK. Help me out here?

afoni

Banned
How many games these days actually have predominantly British voice casts? I seem to remember Xenoblade attempting it, but it ended up coming across really weird when everyone seemed to be well-spoken folk throwing out schoolyard banter during battles.

Mikeside

How many games these days actually have predominantly British voice casts? I seem to remember Xenoblade attempting it, but it ended up coming across really weird when everyone seemed to be well-spoken folk throwing out schoolyard banter during battles.

Ni no Kuni deserves a mention for the fantastic Welsh VA. I can't imagine the game without Mr Drippy being a Welshman

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The Last Story has a nice broad range of British accents and the banter during battles is much better as it varies from battle to battle (it is a much more linear game than Xenoblade)

Reknoc

I don't see many more games having a full british cast. With DQVIII it was done because the localizers probably thought british accents to be quirky enough to fit the game. But now Dragon Quest is probably going to live on the 3DS.

VIII is a stunning looking game, and certainly worth playing, especially if you can run it through an emulator.

DQVIII has a fixed party so the characters are better developed and all the voice work is British so that's a bonus! Don't know if it is worth going straight from on DQ game to another mind. Also it still adopts random battles when you run around the main map which I know for some in this day and age is a bit of a bugbear.

I'll definitely grab a copy at some point then. Random battles don't bother me too greatly, provided there are items to mitigate the frequency of them. Ideally I'd emulate it, but I'd need to find a clear guide to setting up PCSX2.

Hopefully DQVII gets a localized version by the time I buy a 3DS.

Yeah, the DS only being able to use the encryption no one uses these days is a drag. Used to have a spare router setup just for the DS, but now that I'm on Fibre which requires its own modem I don't think that trick works.

Yeah I'm not sure I fancy changing over the encryption to WEP even for a few hours, as I'm worried I'd end up wiping the settings under WPA or something equally annoying.

Ni no Kuni deserves a mention for the fantastic Welsh VA. I can't imagine the game without Mr Drippy being a Welshman

Another game I really want! Looks magical to say the least.

afoni

Banned

I really need to get round to buying a copy of that, but I already have about 4 RPGs on the backburner. I was silently hyped for it earlier in the year, but I never bothered jumping. Might look for it on the cheap later this week and then NEVER PLAY IT.

The Last Story has a nice broad range of British accents and the banter during battles is much better as it varies from battle to battle (it is a much more linear game than Xenoblade)

I just had a look at the voice talent and Jamie Mitchell from Eastenders lent his voice to it. That just seems bloody weird.

Legacy of Kain games!

Some of the best voice acting ever.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
No but i do need to get a few games for my ds, poor thing is totally neglected these days

OKComputer is the best radiohead album

Morning! Who else woke up in a puddle of their own sweat?
as I just woke up, i can say that i thought that i woke up in a puddle of my own piss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom