• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT3| It's good, but it's not right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reknoc

I used to love OKComputer, then I got bored of it, then I bought the special edition and all the stuff at the end made me love it again.

NinjaBoiX

OK Computer has my favourite close to any record too. The last few seconds of The Tourist, where it slows down, gradually strips it all back to just the drums, then ends with a "ding" of a triangle.

Like a microwave, "done".

Love it.

Radiohead - The Tourist

"Hey man, slow down!"

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
Is that the one with that "Creep" song on it?
ZEJSW.gif

NinjaBoiX

Haha! That's Kent's cat isn't it?
Maybe, one for BestGAF and then one for NorthernforeveraloneGAF. Ninjabox and Shawty (and Lirlond too!) are honourary members 4 life.
OFf4ivi.gif

Kentpaul gets a bestbritgaf membership from me
Yup.

Kent, we're having another meet in three months. Consider this ample notice for you to make plans.

Musha will put you up, so you don't need to worry about a hotel. Just the epic journey. It's a journey worth making bud, I guarantee it.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
OK Computer has my favourite close to any record too. The last few seconds of The Tourist, where it slows down, gradually strips it all back to just the drums, then ends with a "ding" of a triangle.

Like a microwave, "done".

Love it.

Radiohead - The Tourist

"Hey man, slow down!"

Yesssss, love that song. I always think it's underappreciated in their canon. and it's a rare Johnny Greenwood solo-penned effort. It's wonderful, sounds like heroin should feel or something.

Rubbish King

Member of staff called in sick and everyone else is working at the other pub due to a wake for 150+ people

looks like I don't get a chilled day followed by a quick 6-12 shift

ahh well....

Suairyu

Banned
Buy a Vita.

Already own one?

Buy another Vita.
Now that you've sold the WiiU, the Vita is your dodgiest purchase ever. (Unless you ever bought a Virtual Boy)

Honestly I hope it does get amazing games soon (but it won't). My PSPGO purchase earlier in the year was one of the best gaming purchases I ever made - the PSP library is amazing. SONY should be able to follow that up in theory.

Sorry Dave, people just want in on that sweet Animal Crossing watering plants and catching bugs action.
I did some research on this Animal Crossing and it does indeed seem like the first one to have actual new features. Now I want a 3DS for it and Pokemon. I have £100 in CEX credit left so likely will take the plunge on an XL soon.

The more I think of it, and bear in mind I'm a huge Radiohead fan, the more I think my favourite album is In Rainbows, especially when combined with disk 2.

Did anyone see Thom play Ingenue on Jonathan Ross a few weeks back? It was fucking haunting, but the Amok album version goes too far down the noisy electronic rabbit hole for my taste. I love Kid A/Amnesiac, mind.

Decided not to get a 3DS yet. I really want one now I've been paid, but apparently there were amazing offers for them last week and not this week. Stupid world.

Buy a Vita.

Already own one?

Buy another Vita.

I have a Vita.

Watching Game of Thrones: The Bear and the Maiden Fair last night, couldn't get it out of my head one of the soldiers singing sounded familiar.

Turns out it was Gary from Snow Patrol, how random.

For the curious, bit spoilery at the end.

I marathon'd series 3 last week. That bear fight reminded me of the end of Anchorman, when Brian Fantana is trying to punch the bear and gets punched in the face.

Suairyu

Banned
I had an idea for a GAF LP I wanted to run past you guys:

Steam Summer sale is soon upon us, and Epic and Doom always do a £5 back-catalogue bundle.

Was thinking might be able to organise a "history of PC multiplayer FPS" thing, where we start with Doom II and every couple of weeks to a month (depending on how many mods/interest a title has) we jump onto the next big chronological order title.

So something like:

Doom 2
Quake
Duke Nukem 3D
Quake 3 (unless someone can correct me, I don't think there's much point in playing Quake 2 when 3 exists)
Unreal Tournament
Counter Strike
Unreal Tournament 2004 (again, skip '03 as it was just a beta for '04 in my mind)
Unreal Tournament III (did anyone play this?)
Team Fortress 2 vanilla (fuck hats and customisable weapons they fucked up the balance)

I could probably rent a server for a few months pretty cheap and I'll emphasise fun over winning. Thoughts?

Steam Summer sale is soon upon us, and Epic and Doom always do a £5 back-catalogue bundle.

Was thinking might be able to organise a "history of PC multiplayer FPS" thing, where we start with Doom II and every couple of weeks to a month (depending on how many mods/interest a title has) we jump onto the next big chronological order title.

So something like:

Doom 2
Quake
Duke Nukem 3D
Quake 3 (unless someone can correct me, I don't think there's much point in playing Quake 2 when 3 exists)
Unreal Tournament
Counter Strike
Unreal Tournament 2004 (again, skip '03 as it was just a beta for '04 in my mind)
Team Fortress 2 vanilla (fuck hats and customisable weapons they fucked up the balance)

I could probably rent a server for a few months pretty cheap and I'll emphasise fun over winning. Thoughts?

Count me in as a maybe, I still play Unreal Tournament and Unreal Tournament III

Rubbish King

You are hamming it up as the tragic hero, thanks to the script the clique wrote for you. It was pure self-indulgence - you couldn't get enough of the drama.

I actually did a bit of adlib, I'm meant to find out I have Herpes today, but it's been disrupted by people calling in sick

8bit

Knows the Score
Wasn't Quake 2 a Sci-Fi game that was quite different from Quake?

--

edit, that's what happens when I wander off with a reply window open.

--

editagain, Quake II isn't what I'm thinking of. I wonder what it is?

afoni

Banned
Can we do history of CoD instead? I think it would make people appreciate the frankly brilliant franchise a lot more.

Reknoc

Wasn't Quake 2 a Sci-Fi game that was quite different from Quake?

--

edit, that's what happens when I wander off with a reply window open.

--

editagain, Quake II isn't what I'm thinking of. I wonder what it is?

Are you sure it's not? Quake II is pretty much that.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

So something like:

Doom 2
Quake
Duke Nukem 3D
Unreal Tournament
Counter Strike

YES! Even my PC can play those games. I would love love love love to play some Doom and Quake again, those games were the shit.

Quake 2 is still a good MP game btw, the Rockets and Railgun and Hyperblaster are way better than anything in 3 for me.

f0rk

Some people preferred Quake 2 over 3, I never played it though.
quakelive exists but if you want to rent a server just playing old quake 3 is probably better.

Chinner

Banned
tf2 is actually fine. balance is fine and majority of fats are fine apart for those that dont fit the art style. suariyu is wrong.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Friend needing my help > being hazed by cliquegaf at some initiation ceremony.

psssh your friend would still have needed help on Sunday, you coulda done it! We were all looking forward to seeing you (honestly! the question "where is Steve?" came up more than a few times)

SteveWD40

psssh your friend would still have needed help on Sunday, you coulda done it! We were all looking forward to seeing you (honestly! the question "where is Steve?" came up more than a few times)

I had to help him move his shit out of his gf's house before shit went bad, which it was doing, his kids were in bits.

True story Steve. I asked at least twice!

ZmPdO.gif

Reknoc

Yeah, very different. Quake 3 seems to me to just be a multi-player only better version of Quake 2. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I never played Quake 2's multiplayer so it might be radically different from the singleplayer but Quake 3 felt like a good mix between the 1 and 2.

Suairyu

Banned
tf2 is actually fine. balance is fine and majority of fats are fine apart for those that dont fit the art style. suariyu is wrong.
I strongly disagree.

TF2 had a beautiful simplicity upon release. Fire up the developers commentary mode and see their philosophy on visual outline design (ruined with hats and new weapons) and balance. TF2 used to be like a fighting game - characters had a limited number of "moves" you understood and it was how that was applied that surprised you.

Now characters have tons of possible "moves" and you can't tell what "moveset" is being used until you're close enough to see which gun variant they're using and it just fucks everything up. You can no longer tell at a glance how an encounter is shaped and decide how best to react.

Quake 2 is still a good MP game btw, the Rockets and Railgun and Hyperblaster are way better than anything in 3 for me.
If you think it's significantly a different game, then I'll add it to the currently-hypothetical list. I think the worst thing I want to avoid though is people getting burnt out. Every game should provide a little something different over the last. I still think the list needs something between UT 04 and III.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
If you think it's significantly a different game, then I'll add it to the currently-hypothetical list. I think the worst thing I want to avoid though is people getting burnt out. Every game should provide a little something different over the last. I still think the list needs something between UT 04 and III.

Well it's still shooty shooty :p I never particularly liked the weapon feel in Q3, it always felt a bit insubstantial to me, whereas the more chunky style of Q2 was more fun for me. But for the kiddies sake we could prob just go Q3. It's easier to set up too.

My m+kb skills have rusted to naught in the past decade though, I'm gonna suuuuuuck at this! But I want to get in on it so bad. This is my jam right here.

Suairyu

Banned
In practice I think you are giving the original TF2 too much credit there
Nah. I jumped into it about one year after its release, after the Payload map type update and just before the Doctor update. It was beautiful. Things were still being tweaked, of course, as they always are in multiplayer games of worth, but it it was beautiful.

Each character update made the game more and more inelegant. I managed to get about halfway through the character updates (Spy v Sniper I think?) before calling it quits. I log into the game from time to time and it's just chaotic and confusing.

My m+kb skills have rusted to naught in the past decade though, I'm gonna suuuuuuck at this! But I want to get in on it so bad. This is my jam right here.
Worry not - so have mine. I'm so out of practice. Played L4D2 for the first time in over a year the other day and I friendly-fired more than the US military. Angered the very serious Eastern European people on my team.

I just want it to be a fun server. House rules like "if you've got lots of clearly skilled players on team A, half of them jump over to team B" and stuff like that.

Fun >>>> Victory

Always

Mikeside

Friend needing my help > being hazed by cliquegaf at some initiation ceremony.

Shame you couldn't be there man but RL friends in need of help > internet meetings.

Hopefully next time?

Also can we get to the end of this whole clique vs outsiders story arc? It's been played out enough. This isn't LOST.

I don't want to feel like we're alienating others but all the clique talk doesn't make me want to stop being familiar with people I know, it just makes me want the complainers to fuck off. Unless it's just become a joke and I'm just too cranky to take it as such today. In which case crack on.

EDIT: that was more of a response to Chinner's clique comments than Steve's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom