• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT3| It's good, but it's not right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suairyu

Banned
Is it possible to charge 3DS XL by USB or is it literally "go buy an AC adapter"?

I have a DSLite, which has a different type of adapter.

fOrBUpb.png

Depends if you like the game. You missed out on loads of good 3DS deals last week: £109 from Tesco, and £120 from Amazon with NSMB2. I'd wait until similar deals surface again personally.

So sucky. Now the gadget-lust has latched on me hard. I don't care about the game, either. Was it £120 or £140 with NSMB2? Thanks for info.

Chinner

Banned
I strongly disagree.

TF2 had a beautiful simplicity upon release. Fire up the developers commentary mode and see their philosophy on visual outline design (ruined with hats and new weapons) and balance. TF2 used to be like a fighting game - characters had a limited number of "moves" you understood and it was how that was applied that surprised you.

Now characters have tons of possible "moves" and you can't tell what "moveset" is being used until you're close enough to see which gun variant they're using and it just fucks everything up. You can no longer tell at a glance how an encounter is shaped and decide how best to react.

I've seen these arguments so many times, they don't really strike me as true.

Outlines are still 100% distinct, and if you're having problems distinguishing them then you're over-exaggerating or you should get your eye-sight checked bro. Yes, the misc items change your character details, but the outlines remain the same. Yes, the hats probably change about 5% of the character outline, but they're still completely distinct, there isn't an issue. If you had went with 'some hats ruin the game because they go against clash against the art style' then I could give you that.

There's not really an increased 'moveset' that you make out. Most of the weapons just develop the further quirks of the class, i.e. they can make your play style more offensive, but less defensive, or more defensive, but less offensive. The weapons very much play into the 'push' game style of TF2 which is prevelant in basically any gametype. In this situation, the default weapons still offer the best overall balance, although they lack the specialization the others offer. Weapon balance is still dictated by the class, so the quirks of that class are still present in that weapon. Rocket launchers still behave as rocket launchers, the sticky launcher still acts as a launcher. This means if you're going into combat with a pyro or scoot, you know what you're going against. More importantly, the weapons are properly balanced, they have drawbacks so that there are no 'gotcha' moments.

Nothing 'fucks up', classes still act as they're designed, so you can still, at a a glance, determine how an encounter will play out. The picture you try to paint is that TF2 is now a game of chance is one I see used by TF2 vanilla fans who are annoyed that they, they think, have to relearn the game again.

death to america.

SteveWD40

Shame you couldn't be there man but RL friends in need of help > internet meetings.

Hopefully next time?

Also can we get to the end of this whole clique vs outsiders story arc? It's been played out enough. This isn't LOST.

I don't want to feel like we're alienating others but all the clique talk doesn't make me want to stop being familiar with people I know, it just makes me want the complainers to fuck off. Unless it's just become a joke and I'm just too cranky to take it as such today. In which case crack on.

EDIT: that was more of a response to Chinner's clique comments than Steve's

Yeah, I will make it eventually.

And yeah, I was kidding an I am sure Chinner was too.

Chinner wasn't, he jelly

u04sgmG.gif

...does it have games you want?

I really want a 3DS. I've been paid, I'm ready to go. All this talk of it being so cheap last few weeks has put me off a little, though...

I sort of would prefer an XL, but it's not a deal breaker. I mean I've never had a 3DS and it's not like the original is bad as a result, is it?

I mean the OG DSXL never interested me...

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well first you should probably consider if you want the regular 3DS or the XL model.

People treat the XL like its a remodel, it's more of an alternative. For me the smaller size suits my needs more.

Chinner

Banned
I really want a 3DS. I've been paid, I'm ready to go. All this talk of it being so cheap last few weeks has put me off a little, though...

I sort of would prefer an XL, but it's not a deal breaker. I mean I've never had a 3DS and it's not like the original is bad as a result, is it?

I assume he means should I go for it, or spend extra for an XL that doesn't feel like it came out of a Christmas cracker.

oh right. if you 'sort of' feel like you want a XL and you can wait, then wait it out. depends if you get that drop of despair buying the regular 3ds, depends how desperate you are to play the games.

Considering getting dressed and walking down to Blockbuster to get Last of Us, but it's so much effort.

WWMD

download it?

Suairyu

Banned
Well first you should probably consider if you want the regular 3DS or the XL model.

People treat the XL like its a remodel, it's more of an alternative. For me the smaller size suits my needs more.
Doesn't the smaller model still have the design feature of marking the screen?

It's like that post was designed to make me feel better about potentially buying it. Thanks duder. Everyone seems to talk like there's no option other than the XL!

oh right. if you 'sort of' feel like you want a XL and you can wait, then wait it out. depends if you get that drop of despair buying the regular 3ds, depends how desperate you are to play the games.

I just have gadget lust and have wanted a 3DS for ages.

NinjaBoiX

Doesn't the smaller model still have the design feature of marking the screen?
Seriously. The original 3DS was an embarrassment to the Nintendo name in terms of build quality. It's absolutely worth the extra investment for the XL.

Musha, go buy TLoU.

Edit: WWMD (what would mike do), it took me a minute!

NinjaBoiX

Yeah after we left you we were talking about the events of the weekend, and decided that before making any decisions I should ask myself that.
Haha, yeah, I can see that. That bus incident with Andy's mate was pretty funny though, the comedy timing of the realisation on your face was gold!

Telling Andy about it the next morning was a smooth move too, cut his buddy off at the pass. Handled like a pro. ;)

Andy seems cool, I didn't really have much time to talk to him. I think I could nerd out with engineering and shit with the guy.

More Andy next meet Musha.

Mikeside

Yeah after we left you we were talking about the events of the weekend, and decided that before making any decisions I should ask myself that.

Its fantastic. I'd buy the shit out of that game.

I'm loving being your moral compass btw. All these years of over analysis finally have an audience!

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Mine is Indie Music (Specially Japanese Indie scene).

Also, ask me anything, etc, etc.

On that note everyone should listen to Lillies and remains. One of the best bands in recent years. They are also constantly quality with every release they drop.

I have met the dudes and they were totally cool. However, too bad the main vocalist is Liverpool fan. I had to give him a strong, ugly facial expression for quite sometime after he announced his alliance. Lucky for him, he makes awesome music.
I'll check this out today guy, thanks for sharing. If you fancy getting your blog a few hits, you should still post the link. No one here is against self-promotion (trust me), just don't expect everyone to flock to it since we get a lot of music chat here already.
Jackben - I guess I'm pretty passionate about music
I think those who aren't a little passionate about music are truly missing out, though I know a lot of people who just listen to the top 40 or refuse to explore outside their chosen genre, which is a real shame.

I think saying 'people' sounds weird but I just love meeting random people and getting to know them and the things they're into or excited about.
Yeah it certainly seems that way. I can't say I'm a huge fan of meeting new people in real life all the time, as the people I already know usually exhaust my patience enough as it is. But I appreciate listening to new perspectives and experiencing different cultures
just so I can reaffirm the belief that my way of life is superior
. Honestly I really value my time studying and living in the UK. Definitely had a big impact in terms of bringing new perspectives to light and really examining the way things are on a world scale. It's like growing up eating one flavor of cereal your whole life and then suddenly finding out after 15 years that there are other flavors out there. Except replace cereal with philosophies of living.

My biggest handicaps to travelling are that I'm a bit of a grumpy guy when things aren't in their right place, being in an unfamiliar place makes it more difficult for me to relax and I get stressed when I get lost. Easier to travel using books, movies and video games yeah? A lot less valuable as experiences though.

Have you got a big HMV near you? If so, go and try the demo units. For me the original 3DS isn't very good, the screen is tiny, the square edges make it uncomfortable to hold, and it doesn't look very nice visually. The XL by comparison felt so much better, mainly for the real estate on the screens. The only bad thing about it was Nintendo didn't put a second analogue stick on it in order to sell the stupid add-on with one, which no one will buy anyway.

And I know the feeling. You have money burning a hole in your pocket. Wait.

Haha, yeah, I can see that. That bus incident with Andy's mate was pretty funny though, the comedy timing of the realisation on your face was gold!

Telling Andy about it the next morning was a smooth move too, cut his buddy off at the pass. Handled like a pro. ;)

Andy seems cool, I didn't really have much time to talk to him. I think I could nerd out with engineering and shit with the guy.

More Andy next meet Musha.

I am a pro. Dave wouldn't have said anything though, and there wasn't really anything to tell, just my head in your crotch.

Next time you should come down the night before and hang out. Plus you're welcome to come down and stay anytime, not just meets. Maybe catch a gig sometime? I need more NinjaBoiX in my life

faridmon

"Lillies and Remains" - They must be fans of Bauhaus ;) Love me some post punk. Attractive Asians, yeah I can get my otaku sister into this band XD

Love that shredding in Moralist SS, reminds me of Arctic Monkeys' "Brianstorm". They've got great energy on "Devaloka".

Their albums go for quite the chunk of money, near to £30 on each of the three albums. Don't even know what tracks the album contains, at least according to Amazon UK. Help me out here?

Yeah, They are one of the few newer bands who does Post-punk very authentically and yes, they are Bauhaus fans. Thier album is actually available on Itunes only (which is sad, because I really prefer Amazon mp3s and if I had the choice, I wouldn't touch Itunes with 10-feet pole)

They are amazing!

faridmon

I am too lazy to multi-quote, but yeah, it was awesome meeting you guys. and I'll make sure I become regular here. Now I am in the middle of process of moving my boxes around and get ready for my final day at London. I have so much rubbish to get rid of as well.

Moving sucks.

Lirlond

I bought a 3dsxl for probably too much a few days ago. But im loving it. Mate loaned me some games and I literally just spent 6 hours playing theatrythm.

Suairyu

Banned
No it isn't, as Mike says it's a specific cable you would need to buy seperately. Probably a quid or two from deal extreme or ebay though.
Fuck's sake WHY NINTENDO WHY

Weapon balance is still dictated by the class, so the quirks of that class are still present in that weapon. Rocket launchers still behave as rocket launchers, the sticky launcher still acts as a launcher. This means if you're going into combat with a pyro or scoot, you know what you're going against. More importantly, the weapons are properly balanced, they have drawbacks so that there are no 'gotcha' moments.
The hordes of sword-wielding Demolition Mens would disagree with this. Maybe they've been patched and tweaked since then, but that shit was way OP and not very Demo-like at all when I last saw it.

edit - Either way, TF2 is notably a different game now compared to release. I think vanilla TF2 would be a good choice for a "history of pc fps" lp.

faridmon

Oh yeah since I have been told to post my blog regrdless, my blog is: http://faridmon.blogspot.co.uk

Ignore the emo parts, I was trying to sometime write about what I am currently feeling with me being in a different country and all, but that came out too cheesy and cringe worthy, and I have decided not to write about personal things anymoore.

Oh, and there is a lot of grammatical errors. I am still learning the language, excuse my sloppiness.

So yeah, just pop in whenever you feel you have the time or the energy.

NinjaBoiX

Next time you should come down the night before and hang out. Plus you're welcome to come down and stay anytime, not just meets. Maybe catch a gig sometime? I need more NinjaBoiX in my life
Yeah why not, it did feel like quite a short trip. Don't get me wrong, I had a great time, but an extra day or two would've been awesome! London was just such a buzz, mixed with the heat wave and the 60th anniversary, it was really cool. I could've happily just mooched around all day on Sunday.

I have a good feeling about the Christmas meet to be honest. Shorty says he's going to try and come over again this year, but he has plans in September, so he'll miss that one. And hopefully those that missed this on, DS, Steve and whatnot will make it.

Kent maybe? Anyway, where is Kent this weekend? He hasn't been around much.

Mikeside

Yeah I totally agree about missing out if you haven't found music you're passionate about.

I'm very guilty of not trying genres I traditionally don't enjoy. I think you've convinced me to keep a more open mind.

Would love to travel more and am planning on moving to another country in the next 10 years but with limited funds and time I can't see myself doing much more than a week away every couple of years at the moment. Good things come to those who wait, eh?

I get the same issue with needing time away from people to recharge but its rare. I'd be out 6 nights a week if I could afford it. People are just so much more interesting than things.

Would love to travel more and am planning on moving to another country in the next 10 years but with limited funds and time I can't see myself doing much more than a week away every couple of years at the moment. Good things come to those who wait, eh?

I can't wait until the day I can afford to travel. Though I'm not really a 'backpacking across Europe' or 'gap yah' in Thailand type of guy. Probably because I'd feel thrown and uncomfortable by moving about constantly. Going to less places and staying in them longer is my preference, long weekend in one city, a week's holiday somewhere, and a decent stretch like two or three weeks in say Japan or New Zealand. I really want to visit the DMZ in South Korea too.

Also I'm made up it's going to be so lovely outside all week!

Have you got a big HMV near you? If so, go and try the demo units. For me the original 3DS isn't very good, the screen is tiny, the square edges make it uncomfortable to hold, and it doesn't look very nice visually. The XL by comparison felt so much better, mainly for the real estate on the screens. The only bad thing about it was Nintendo didn't put a second analogue stick on it in order to sell the stupid add-on with one, which no one will buy anyway.

And I know the feeling. You have money burning a hole in your pocket. Wait.

I've tried both in a local Game (I have a big HMV, 2 floors, but they don't have demo units. Seemed to get rid of a load of displays and stuff around the time they were nearly going out of business) and kind of like the smaller one. The 3D seemed more pronounced, but maybe that's me (or that you have more area to try and focus on on the bigger screen).

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Moving sucks.
It does indeed. But it's a temporary pain in pursuit of more permanent, worthwhile change most of the time. It'll pass.

Your blog looks good, I respect your dedication to the pursuit; all my efforts at blogging have failed horribly due to dying a slow death of inconsistent updates and constant revisions. I am convinced good writing is 90% repetition in terms of constantly practicing your craft.

Listened to the tracks of Lilies and Remains you linked, the guitar sound really does remind me of early Arctic Monkeys. The songs I liked the most were Unmade Schemer, You're Blind and Learn to stand etc.

faridmon

It does indeed. But it's a temporary pain in pursuit of more permanent, worthwhile change most of the time. It'll pass.

Your blog looks good, I respect your dedication to the pursuit; all my efforts at blogging have failed horribly due to dying a slow death of inconsistent updates and constant revisions. I am convinced good writing is 90% repetition in terms of constantly practicing your craft.

Listened to the tracks of Lilies and Remains you linked, the guitar sound really does remind me of early Arctic Monkeys. The songs I liked the most were Unmade Schemer, You're Blind and Learn to stand etc.

The thing, I don't think I will ever find a permanent place to stay, at least in the near future. I am planning to study my masters abroad and have my internship in another country since I have to have some international practice for my study. I am excited, but moving with those crutches is just pain in the ass.

I am glad you liked my blog. I am still not consistent in updating my blog, but I try to be. One of the reason why I started it in the first place is to hone my written skills. Its getting better, but the fluency is still not there.

Glad you liked Lillies and remains. Although, I wouldn't really compare them to Archtic Monkeys since the latter s more Britpop Orienter whilst the former have a strong Shoegaze/Noise influence. If anything, I would say Franz Ferdinand is closer to them. But yeah, Unmade Schemer is my favourite song by them. Those Bass, man...

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I get the same issue with needing time away from people to recharge but its rare. I'd be out 6 nights a week if I could afford it. People are just so much more interesting than things.

The fact that you managed to be around folks for three days in a row this weekend shows that you are a social fella and an extrovert, if I'm even with my wife for three days in a row I get antsy and want to go away for a while for some solitude.

I think the way I deal with people is odd since I very much enjoy company and when I'm in flow I am very garrulous and conversational, but I am naturally an introvert and run out of charge after about 12 hours and need some decompression space. This weekend for instance I got home (after talking to strangers on the train for another hour following the meet), and when I got home the mrs was up so I chatted to her for another hour. But it wasn't till she went to bed that I could properly relax and take a load off. To do three days of socialising... jesus I might actually cry if I had to to that.

I think this is what you get as the only child of a single mother - lots of alone time in my childhood and I loved it.

8bit

Knows the Score
I've tried both in a local Game (I have a big HMV, 2 floors, but they don't have demo units. Seemed to get rid of a load of displays and stuff around the time they were nearly going out of business) and kind of like the smaller one. The 3D seemed more pronounced, but maybe that's me (or that you have more area to try and focus on on the bigger screen).

It is more pronounced on the smaller unit, but it's also really uncomfortable for extended playing. Also, the 3D effect is kind of worthless TBH.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom