• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT3| It's good, but it's not right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chinner

Banned
yeah I'd say so. it does what it says on the tin. the script is a little hammy at points, and so is the acting a little bit. but you can the tell the film is a labour of love. it has its individuality, and its self contained with no origins or set ups for a sequel. it's not pretending something is not. it makes its flaws more forgiving.

that's not even mentioning the awesome action sequences or the design work.

NinjaBoiX

Nightmares On Wax ft. De La Soul - Keep On Rockin'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aP1SckMEUeQ

High tech like Japan, and out to Scotland where they ain't never sober.
8bit, we park out cars in the same garage. That is a collaboration right there!

Nightmares On Wax - Les Nuits

One of my favourite chilled out records. Along with Papua New Guinea by FSOL, Flim by Aphex Twin stuff like that, you can compile the most glorious late night jam.

FSOL - Papua New Guinea

Aphex Twin - Flim

Have you heard of Kojak? They're a French House duo recording funky hip hop twinged House, they use cool old movie samples and loads of fly scratching.

Kojak - Keep Me On Fire

Kojak - Art To Breathe (DJ Vas mix)

The first track is from the first record, "Crime In The City", the second from the sophomore release "Every Room On Every Floor". Really cool dudes.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
iBTuBo1nAYPvQ.gif

8bit

Knows the Score
8bit, we park out cars in the same garage. That is a collaboration right there!

Nightmares On Wax - Les Nuits

One of my favourite chilled out records. Along with Papua New Guinea by FSOL, Flim by Aphex Twin stuff like that, you can compile the most glorious late night jam.

FSOL - Papua New Guinea

Aphex Twin - Flim

Have you heard of Kojak? They're a French House duo recording funky hip hop twinged House, they use cool old movie samples and loads of fly scratching.

Kojak - Keep Me On Fire

Kojak - Art To Breathe (DJ Vas mix)

The first track is from the first record, "Crime In The City", the second from the sophomore release "Every Room On Every Floor". Really cool dudes.

I haven't heard of them, thanks for the suggestion. I've been rotating Boards of Canada/Fuck Buttons/μ-Ziq recently so could do with something to mix that up a bit.

Loved FSOL/Aphex when I was younger but I don't think I've listened to much by either recently other than maybe the AFX Analord stuff. I fondly remember getting Analogue Bubblebath vol 2 on a recommendation from a friend, hearing Didgeridoo for the first time and I was completely blown away. I had no idea that music could sound like that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTyO4vumZR8

Papua New Guinea is also a fond memory, a great track teased out to something else in it's Andrew Weatherall remix.

But yeah, those are some fabulous late night/early sun coming up tracks.

NinjaBoiX

One last music dump, as I'm in the mood.

The Roots, patented Philly "Organic Hip-Hop Jazz". It's their tag, but it definitely describes their style well. Live drums, great rapping, loads of horns and funk in spades.

Proceed

The Next Movement

Guns Are Drawn

Love these guys, best Hip-Hop group on the planet for my money.

Edit: Just realised the music videos mean there is some bleeping which is a bit irritating. But they don't curse much anyway!

no angel

Well I certainly hope everyone had a far better day at work than me today. Does anyone have anything exciting planned for the weekend?

NinjaBoiX

Fuck yes. Love Chino.

Love Tash!

Don't know what's my definitive Deftones track out of

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbjqruCITIU

Or

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gxZIL4zpIQ
What the fuck? Why haven't I listened to these guys before? I'll definitely be checking out some of their stuff now. Give me one album to start with. White Pony?

OK, this is honestly my last music plug tonight! I'll stop.

Jack White and Alison Mossheart's (The Kills :)) band The Dead Weather are pretty cool. This tune is incredible IMO:

The Dead Weather - Treat Me Like Your Mother

The video is amazing too.

SKINNER!

Banned
Coworker dropped this off on my desk :D

:O Bro! I want that poster. So sweet! Where did he/she get it from?

and since we're on the topic of cool office desk stuff, I'm sportin' a modest 3 piece figurine set of Tintin, Captain Haddock and Snowy that I picked up from the tintin store at Covent Garden back when I went to see Seinfeld at the O2. Only pic I've got is this zoomed in, cropped one since I'm not in the office.

At home, got these two bad boys with me for almost 10 years now. First ones I picked up when I was still in high school. The replica James Hetfield guitar was given to me as a birthday gift. So pwetty!

What the fuck? Why haven't I listened to these guys before? I'll definitely be checking out some of their stuff now. Give me one album to start with. White Pony?

Looks like I'm not the only one who needs musically educating!

Well the first album Adrenaline is good, Engine no 9 is a great track.
White Pony is probably what they're most known for, get hold of the reissue edition.

NinjaBoiX

Nice shorty, more tracks! I'll check them out.

Yeah, I really like their sound. It's got a little bit of Tool going on with the dynamic shifts in tempo/style and minor chord melodies, but they're more energetic and play with more pace. It's a good combo. Tool can get a little draining after a while, as impressive as the musicianship is.

That dude has a wicked voice too.

I'll download Adrenaline and White Pony tomorrow, bop about the place doing the housework.

daviyoung

Banned
Right, I knew Davi was a dance fiend!

OK, it was a really dark sounding heavily filtered house track, but not languid, it's really bouncey. Think Daft Punk "Homework" era, Rollin' and Scratchin' is a good parallel.

Daft Punk - Rollin' and Scratchin'

But it's not quite as noisey, just a similar gritty flavour. It has a more distinctive melody:

C C - D# D# C C - D# D# C C - D# D# G# G# - E E (loop)

Those G#'s are an octave lower. Lower G#?

The melody is played with a really deep wet synth, bottom end of the scale. Then there is a bouncey two-step beat with a hollow snare and a kickdrum. Also, there is a really distinctive pitch bend every 10 or so bars, tweaking all the way up to almost pure static, before the beat drops back in.

It's so amazing.

Please help me Davi-Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope!

Edit: Hang on, PM from 8bit, BRB.

Edit 2: Also, there are no vocals in this track. Seems like quite a pertinent point!

Edit 3: Nah, not the one 8bit. That was more disco house, the one I'm thinking of is really filthy electro house. No vocals either. I may run across it some day, it may cause me to do a flip.

Sorry man, I haven't a clue. Even repeatedly playing those notes on a keyboard could be so many songs.

So I'm going to offer up this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Khi1jp5LqiU

NinjaBoiX

Pacific Rim was AMAAAAAAAZING! Everything I had hoped for. The right amount of cheesy fun and dramatic action. Cool characters, too. So want to go another time. BFI IMAX was completely packed.

Snagged some posters, even my mom specifically asked for one after the movie was over.

iDRhonrttfrZq.jpg

ibe4tUiKcqJMFU.jpg

SKINNER!

Banned
Great pics Messofanego. Walked past the BFI IMAX when I arrived in London last friday. Went in thinking that Pacific Rim was out that day but was gutted to see the posters say the 12th. Hope there's some of those posters left at the Odeon IMAX not far from here. Tempted to watch it tomorrow instead of Sunday now.

Great pics Messofanego. Walked past the BFI IMAX when I arrived in London last friday. Went in thinking that Pacific Rim was out that day but was gutted to see the posters say the 12th. Hope there's some of those posters left at the Odeon IMAX not far from here. Tempted to watch it tomorrow instead of Sunday now.

Hey, if I see at you at another meet up, I'll just hand you one. I only got 3 of them because I could :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom