• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT3| It's good, but it's not right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
drawingflyer.jpg

I'M GOING TOMOZ!!!!!

Hi guys

I'm a French gaf neighbour, planning to come spend a few days in London with a friend in less than a month. That would be my first time in your country.

I've got a few questions, if you could answer them that would be great.

1/ are we gonna get bored after three or four days of walking through London? (I hear public transportation is expensive as hell) Or is there enough to see and visit for us not to get bored? I was thinking about spending five to six nights there.
2/ allright, we want to see stuff and shit but in the evening... we want to hang around with people our age, more or less (26/27), getting drunk and party and stuff :eek: So any real GOOD pub or anything to enjoy a few pints for cheap (happy hours?) with good company?
3/ is there an arcade in London? I've found The Heart of Gaming, don't know if it isn't just a fighting game oriented arcade.

4/ and for a place to sleep, any advice? I was thinking about airbnb.com, trying to find two beds in the same place with people in their 20s 30s that would be up for a few drinks while chattting.

Yeah, I really don't want this to be a sightseeing trip. More of a meeting people trip.

Thanks in advance guys. :bow:

daviyoung

Banned
Bonjour!

1/ are we gonna get bored after three or four days of walking through London? (I hear public transportation is expensive as hell) Or is there enough to see and visit for us not to get bored? I was thinking about spending five to six nights there.

No, there's enough to do in London for weeks, if not months. There's a lot of stuff packed into this city, so explore every crevice. The rest of the country isn't too far by rail if (you won't) get bored. Depends largely on what kinda stuff you want to do...

Public transport is not expensive, but it depends on the metric used. Buses are the cheapest and friendliest ways to see the city and are £1.40 for any journey no matter how long or short. If your card is contactless, you can use that. If not, I recommend an Oyster card for your trip: https://oyster.tfl.gov.uk/oyster/entry.do

You can get one of those at any rail or underground station and they are top-up cards for the tube and for buses.

A lot of the centre of London can be handled by walking so pack some decent sneakers.

Also, avoid the tube on weekdays at times between 8-10 and 4-6. You will be crushed.

2/ allright, we want to see stuff and shit but in the evening... we want to hang around with people our age, more or less (26/27), getting drunk and party and stuff :eek: So any real GOOD pub or anything to enjoy a few pints for cheap (happy hours?) with good company?

Eh, take your pick. As with any village, town or city in England there's a pub on every road. Name where you'll be staying and there'll be a decent pub in that part. Popular places for evening drinks include: Soho, Leicester Square, Camden, Shoreditch, Farringdon but again, there is something happening everywhere every night.

3/ is there an arcade in London? I've found The Heart of Gaming, don't know if it isn't just a fighting game oriented arcade.

There used to be a Sega World, but that got torn down years ago. Not entirely sure if Namco is still going, but it's near London Aquarium and over the river from Big Ben.

http://www.namcofunscape-londonevents.co.uk/

4/ and for a place to sleep, any advice? I was thinking about airbnb.com, trying to find two beds in the same place with people in their 20s 30s that would be up for a few drinks while chattting.

Yeah, I really don't want this to be a sightseeing trip. More of a meeting people trip.

If you really want to meet people then a hostel is your best bet. But your accommodation will be less than luxurious. But you will meet many like-minded travelers.

I wouldn't recommend London as a great place to meet new people, it's not Amsterdam and you may get the impression that people are rude. We're not, we're just always moving and never relaxed. Hopefully the weather will be nice and you can visit some of the city parks.

jimbor

Banned
Hi guys

I'm a French gaf neighbour, planning to come spend a few days in London with a friend in less than a month. That would be my first time in your country.

1. There's plenty of stuff to see and do in London, you could stay a month and still not fit in all the tourist fluff. Transport is cheaper if you get an Oyster card, plus it's a lot quicker going through the barriers too. It caps at about £8 a day or so, depending when and where you travel to.

2. For the pubs/clubs, it really depends what you like. There's poncey, 'ironic' dives, gastropubs, old man pubs and decent boozers too. On top of that you have plenty of cocktail bars and music venues. Cocktail bars quite often have happy hours

3. Arcades seemed to have died a death in London. There are still a few dotted around (Namco Land on the Southbank is one, near the London Eye).

4. Don't have much idea on the place to stay front as I've lived here my whole life so have never used it.

Also, don't forget that walking between one or two tube stops in zone one can often be quicker than getting the tube. Cheaper too!

Edit: Beaten by Davi

Urgh the change to super saver delivery on Amazon is annoying. About to order something, and then I'm only offered a £6 delivery charge. Buying it from Tesco it is.

Fox1304

Hi guys

Hey fellow frenchie !
We're going to London too with Guiz for the Eurogamer expo, when are your dates ?
I'm looking at airbnb too at the moment, hard to find something cheap really ... Lots of double beds, but we'd still prefer twin of course.

I kinda liked Badults. I think that's as I've seen them live doing their silly comedy sketch show, so it's much more in that vein, a silly cartoon but done with real people rather than a sitcom. But I think you have to see it like that.

And Mongrels is ace, the songs are brilliant too. (Best ones: Smoking Makes You Look Cool and What A Difference A Day Makes) Disappointed with BBC Three for axing that, big fan of that. And my feelings on BBC Three are well documented. :p

Sadetar

Ninja lives in an awesome house.

Everybody masturbates at work.

Royal baby was born.

People are again planning a meetup.

...Fuck my life.

NinjaBoiX

bro whats your skype
Yeah, I meant to say before I ducked out, Hystzen sent me an invite. I meant to ask you guys to invite him.

Enjoy guys, I need to set my PS3 up downstairs next time, so I can stop on a bit longer. Gotta be respectful of my housemates and shit.

Tash - Rambo moments, awesome stuff!

GG guys.

Edit: Coldman, isn't that a pic Kent posted? I seem to remember someone telling him to sort his tiling out. Either that, or its an eerily similar pic.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
A successful night of games and a good end to my mini holiday..

We should all play again soon you guise

apart from hot coldman

ur shit

<3

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
BBC3 is for Family Guy and American Dad. And Mongrels. In the Flesh was alright too. They sometimes have documentaries which are good, like the ones about mental health. But generally anything they commission is shit.

Mikeside

Great TLoU session guys, especially Hyst, Shorty and Jed who stayed to put our training into action against some seriously meaty opponents. Whilst we lost every round, I feel we had the moral victory.

Again tomorrow, anyone?

Hystzen

Did not expect Tash voice be so high pitched lol

Anyway yeah if want more matches im normally free after 10 weekdays so if any body free sorted for some matches

Mikeside

What change is that? I ordered a few things from Amazon today and didn't notice any difference to Super Saver or delivery in general - other than trying to get me to sign up to another Prime trial.

If you're not buying CDs, DVDs or Games there's now a £10 minimum spend for super saver, I think.

SKINNER!

Banned
What change is that? I ordered a few things from Amazon today and didn't notice any difference to Super Saver or delivery in general - other than trying to get me to sign up to another Prime trial.

Item(s) you purchase on Amazon (excluding books, dvds/blu rays and video games) need to a minimum of £10 to qualify for Super Saver Delivery. Anything under and you'll be charged.

Edit: Rihanna'd

NinjaBoiX

Fuck summer holidays. Everyone is off, and I'm the only electrician in clued up with fire alarms. I've been in work for less than 2 hours, and I've already had three call outs.

And I'm on late shifts until half 5 all week. With a shit apprentice.

Fuck my life.

Such a tune BritGAF

HAVE A NICE DAY EVERYBODY! HUGS ALL ROUND!

Taught my first English classes in Thailand. The level of English is a lot lower than I expected, so the next 6 weeks will be hard but worth it in the end.

All of the food has way too much sugar in it for me, however. :/

Chinner

Banned
Taught my first English classes in Thailand. The level of English is a lot lower than I expected, so the next 6 weeks will be hard but worth it in the end.

All of the food has way too much sugar in it for me, however. :/

where abouts are you?

and everything has sugar in it. even the bread and some bottles of water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom