• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT3| It's good, but it's not right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

noffles

Banned
1336364959housesadnod-gif.gif

ME2 was the height of the trilogy. Got unfairly criticized by Mako loving ME1 fans.

Mass Effect 2 and Uncharted 2 were weird for me.

Mass Effect 1 bored me to tears because the combat was so tedious and I just wanted to stay on the Citadel and eat some lore. Uncharted 1 just felt... average. Yet Mass Effect 2 and Uncharted 2 just ended up blowing me the fuck away. Amazing games. I must have played through Uncharted 2 about three times in a few weeks.

Salvadora

My appreciation of the Mass Effect series has been forever tarred by the third.

I was thinking of popping Mass Effect 2 in an having another playthrough but just the thought of the third was enough to put me off.

SKINNER!

Banned
Best games this gen:

Galaxy 1/2
Red Dead Redemption
Bioshock
Bioshock Infinite
Uncharted 2
Mass Effect 2

That's not in order though.

Still been meaning to play Mario Galaxy 2 but here's my list

X360 - Mass Effect 2
PS3 - Uncharted 2
Wii - Super Mario Galaxy (Honourable mention: No More Heroes)
PSP - MGS Peace Walker
DS - Mario Kart DS

shorty, good call on the No More Heroes shout-out. (Still need to play Desperate Struggle...)

shite.

The last good mario game was SMB3, Super mario world was ok then its a steel decline from there.

I was to busy playing goldeneye multiplayer with my buddies to emo out on Mario 64.

I thought you didn't play Nintendo? Exposed!

P44

Mass effect 2 went way too deep into shootbang territory for me. Yeah sure, fix the terrible shooting mechanics, but dont gut the rpg statsy stuff at the same time. And the main questline was honest to get 2 sets of shopping lists (party members + loyalty missions) with about 7 missions actually moving the plotline forward.

I just started playing MGS2 today. 2 hours in... I though Raiden was meant to be cooler than this, dude keeps slipping on seagull shite.

Also finished Uncharted 1 last night, it was gud but felt a bit budget. First two hours of U2 are fucking amazing by contrast.

So much games....! Damn you Miiiiiiiiiike! :D

Good man. You'll appreciate U2 much more for having played U1.
Naughty Dog made such a step forward between both games in every aspect, from story, to gun mechanics, animation, hand to hand combat, visuals, etc. I honestly thought people were lying when they said how much better U2 is, since I found U1 to be fairly average.

Oddly enough I just finished it on hard for the first time, and I'm now doing the same with U3.

For four I just want slightly harder/complex platforming, and less linearity in places, along with addressing the issues with 3 which ND are aware of.

f0rk

Mass Effect 2 was ruined for me by Mass Effect 3 coming along and showing how all my decisions were pointless

Salvadora

Mass effect 2 went way too deep into shootbang territory for me. Yeah sure, fix the terrible shooting mechanics, but dont gut the rpg statsy stuff at the same time. And the main questline was honest to get 2 sets of shopping lists (party members + loyalty missions) with about 7 missions actually moving the plotline forward.
What did you think of Lair of the Shadow Broker? I think it's the best DLC I've ever played. Completely agree with you on the lack of progression. I mean, almost nothing happened!

SKINNER!

Banned
Good man. You'll appreciate U2 much more for having played U1.
Naughty Dog made such a step forward between both games in every aspect, from story, to gun mechanics, animation, hand to hand combat, visuals, etc. I honestly thought people were lying when they said how much better U2 is, since I found U1 to be fairly average.

Agreed. U1 was alright but controls and camera were a bit iffy. In U2, they nailed it.

Plumber chasing after a princess

So interesting and fresh

Idiot. Don't criticise Mario on Gaf. Even when you point out how much Nintendo whores him out, you get "Bububububu they're all different genres so you can't get sick of him!"
You've unleashed the hounds now.

Need to play Galaxy 1 and 2 at some point, but I need to track down copies and then be arsed to figure out the Dolphin emulator.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.

This is so fucking true. I'm sure the dragon age games had the same problem. Get A,B,C,D on board and hit the final mission!

What did you think of Lair of the Shadow Broker? I think it's the best DLC I've ever played. Completely agree with you on the lack of progression. I mean, almost nothing happened!

DLC is another thing i don't get behind. I'm a pretty respectable guy i don't like being extorted for content that should be free or on the fucking disk. I also stop playing video games multiplayer when the first DLC map pack is released because it pretty much splits the userbase.

Meh, I'l stick with my indie games gaf you guys enjoy your blocksuckers

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
The fact that you take a story first approach to a medium that consistently delivers on low expectations for story means you're being a fool, Tash.
Games have moved on from the pacman days, even super meat boy has some forms of thoughtful back story to it, I wasn't insulting Mario, I was asking why they continue to milk the series when they could move on to bigger and better things, don't insult me because you're getting all defensive
Do games have to have "emotional" nuke scenes you don't even play to be interesting to you, or what?
Yes, because I don't like Mario I'm a fucking call of duty fanboy who has the attention span of a fucking six year old. How you automatically assume you know my taste and the reasons I enjoy games is pretty pathetic

Yes, because I don't like Mario I'm a fucking call of duty fanboy who has the attention span of a fucking six year old. How you automatically assume you know my taste and the reasons I enjoy games is pretty pathetic

You just stated CoD 4 was one of the best games this gen. I was just going off that. Good lord.

Mikeside

Now now. Wii Music is an underappreciated gem of a game, and woefully misunderstood. It's a local multiplayer co-op platformer played out in sound rather than in vision, its closest cousin is not Guitar Hero, but New Super Mario Bros Wii. Just that nobody understood it except maybe me.

Phisheep
Such a great lawyer, he even defended Wii Music.

Seriously, though - it would take a lot for me to give the game a second look, but this is the first time I've even been slightly compelled

SKINNER!

Banned
shorty, good call on the No More Heroes shout-out. (Still need to play Desperate Struggle...)

It hurts me that hardly anyone played the game. If it were not for the fact that it was repetitive at times then it would've easily taken over Galaxy. Everything about that game was so cool.

noffles

Banned

What I liked the most about Mass Effect 2 was that it wasn't centred around this epic space heroism plot. It focussed on characters and your interactions with them. The choices in Mass Effect 2 were the most interesting and the emphasis that Bioware put on the characters helped to create all of the tension in the Suicide Mission. Without that tension, who cared what characters died due to your actions? Why would you need to worry as long as you had your final team ready for Mass Effect 3?

Frankly, what turned me off with the original Mass Effect is that the only two great characters were Garrus and Wrex. Other than that, you had Ashley the racist, Kaiden the bland space marine, Liara the blue boobed fan service and Tali the foreigner. They were bland and boring tropes that didn't develop through-out the whole of the game. Mass Effect 2? Characters actually developed and weren't just tropey bastards. That emphasis is what made Mass Effect 2 one of the best games of this generation. It made me give a shit.

Games have moved on from the pacman days, even super meat boy has some forms of thoughtful back story to it, I wasn't insulting Mario, I was asking why they continue to milk the series when they could move on to bigger and better things, don't insult me because you're getting all defensive

And a large part of GAF says that gameplay has turned to shit recently. Can't determine cause and effect here, of course, but I can make the observation.

Mikeside

the story, init. most important part of a nintendo game is the story ya kno.

I think of story in a lot of games (especially Nintendo games) in the same way I think of story in something like Avatar or Star Wars. It doesn't have to be amazing, as long as it isn't TERRIBLE and supports the core pillars of the game/movie.

With Star Wars and Avatar, the story supported the awesome visuals and great set pieces.
With Super Mario Galaxy, the story is minimal enough that you never really have to think about it, it just lets you do your thing, which is to platform about for hours on end. Perfect.

You just stated CoD 4 was one of the best games this gen. I was just going off that. Good lord.

To be fair, as far as the FPS genre goes, Call of Duty 4 did a lot of things right. Do we have to pretend it was absolute trash simply because of what it spawned?

Yeah, I thought it was MW2 that started a lot of the problems infecting FPSes today. CoD4 seems like a much more subtle game.

Compare the overhead bombing in CoD4 to the airport massacre in MW2. One of these is actually effective.

f0rk

CoD 1 and 2 were better than 4 at single player. And BF2/CS had already done better multiplayer so I think MW gets too much praise.

What I liked the most about Mass Effect 2 was that it wasn't centred around this epic space heroism plot. It focussed on characters and your interactions with them. The choices in Mass Effect 2 were the most interesting and the emphasis that Bioware put on the characters helped to create all of the tension in the Suicide Mission. Without that tension, who cared what characters died due to your actions? Why would you need to worry as long as you had your final team ready for Mass Effect 3?

Frankly, what turned me off with the original Mass Effect is that the only two great characters were Garrus and Wrex. Other than that, you had Ashley the racist, Kaiden the bland space marine, Liara the blue boobed fan service and Tali the foreigner. They were bland and boring tropes that didn't develop through-out the whole of the game. Mass Effect 2? Characters actually developed and weren't just tropey bastards. That emphasis is what made Mass Effect 2 one of the best games of this generation. It made me give a shit.

I think the tension was ruined by how transparent the mechanics of what happened were. Also I felt unfairly punished for not going 100% paragon or renegade. They didn't go far enough in making it feel like a suicide mission.

Rubbish King

So you automatically assumed from me saying that, that I enjoyed the game because of the compelling story and the super edgy nuke scene, don't act innocent, you used a tiny snippet of information and then formulated your own idea of why I enjoyed the game as an attempt to devalue my opinion

To be fair, as far as the FPS genre goes, Call of Duty 4 did a lot of things right. Do we have to pretend it was absolute trash simply because of what it spawned?

I wasn't criticising CoD4 per say, just saying that every game didn't have to be like it to be considered good.

tashbrooke said:
So you automatically assumed from me saying that, that I enjoyed the game because of the compelling story and the super edgy nuke scene, don't act innocent, you used a tiny snippet of information and then formulated your own idea of why I enjoyed the game as an attempt to devalue my opinion
Compelling story is about the only thing Super Mario Galaxy is missing. I filled in the blanks. I apologize if you took that as me jumping to some super-insulting conclusion.

SMG's story is pretty basic but the storybook is better written than like 95% of games. So there's that.

I don't even remember any of that shit. I appreciate SMG1 for its presentation, though. SMG2 had too many levels that didn't even look like they were in space. The awesome skyboxes of the first game were just... gone. :/

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Seriously, though - it would take a lot for me to give the game a second look, but this is the first time I've even been slightly compelled

To be completely honest, it is only at its best when there's three or four of you - can too easily feel like work if you play it solo. Given its reputation that might be a bit of a stumbling-block, but if you can find a few others willing to give it a go over, say, a 2-hour session I'd say it is worth a try.

Reknoc

I don't even remember any of that shit. I appreciate SMG1 for its presentation, though. SMG2 had too many levels that didn't even look like they were in space. The awesome skyboxes of the first game were just... gone. :/

I do because its up there with 1000 years of dreams from lost odyssey as the only VG writing to make me tear up a little.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
If I had to pick one game of the generation it would be Little King's Story. Honourable mentions to loads of others, but LKS really stood out.

Plus, Scribblenauts for so nearly achieving the impossible, Flower and Endless Ocean for stripped-down niceness, No More Heroes for sheer edge, Galaxy for being Galaxy, and Wii Sports Resort for the golf.

Rubbish King

I wasn't criticising CoD4 per say, just saying that every game didn't have to be like it to be considered good.

Compelling story is about the only thing Super Mario Galaxy is missing. I filled in the blanks. I apologize if you took that as me jumping to some super-insulting conclusion.
What? So because of a Mario criticism from somebody who enjoyed call of duty 4,you felt the need to criticise it because I may not know that there is more to gaming than a linear fps? Dude.

When I referred to Mario I didn't even mention galaxy, I haven't jumped to any conclusions, as soon as I posted Saying I didn't understand where the demand was coming from you immediately met it with a snide remark on how I wouldn't be expecting a reply, it's not as if I didn't have reason to see aggression in your posts

Mikeside

It didn't really come off that way, to me - I can see why Tash got twitchy about it.
But yeah, I hate that it got used as a template which saw a million shooters shat out without much thought.

The later CoD, and similar FPS, games are the reason I now hate the word "Follow"

To be completely honest, it is only at its best when there's three or four of you - can too easily feel like work if you play it solo. Given its reputation that might be a bit of a stumbling-block, but if you can find a few others willing to give it a go over, say, a 2-hour session I'd say it is worth a try.

Hmm...
...maybe. If I see a used copy, I'll trust you, but only because you've earned it with your octopus wonders :p

noffles

Banned
One day, me and Tash will have a chat. We'll have some alcohol, a table, some music playing and then we'll have a chat. The topic of Mario will come up, an argument will ensue and then the scrap of the century will occur.

Who will win?

Nobody knows yet.

Mikeside

I have an address for you - want to borrow my copy? Just don't open it in the office or you will likely get laughed at.

That's ruddy good of you - I may take you up on that once I've moved into the flat, as there'll be more opportunity for party gaming. Cheers buddy :)

One day, me and Tash will have a chat. We'll have some alcohol, a table, some music playing and then we'll have a chat. The topic of Mario will come up, an argument will ensue and then the scrap of the century will occur.

Who will win?

Nobody knows yet.

As usual in those situations, I'll be standing between you trying to chill things out. I can't count the number of times I had to do that in 6th form and then in college.

What? So because of a Mario criticism from somebody who enjoyed call of duty 4,you felt the need to criticise it because I may not know that there is more to gaming than a linear fps? Dude.

When I referred to Mario I didn't even mention galaxy, I haven't jumped to any conclusions, as soon as I posted Saying I didn't understand where the demand was coming from you immediately met it with a snide remark on how I wouldn't be expecting a reply, it's not as if I didn't have reason to see aggression in your posts

Aaaah okay I can see why I would have come off as a dick. Apologies all around. Snide remarks are best kept for Gaming, not OT.

Can we at least agree that Resident Evil 4 is good..?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom