• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT3| It's good, but it's not right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

daviyoung

Banned
The only book i have read is the godfather, trainspotting, skagboys.

Reading a book that seems like it's written for you, in the style you're used to reading or writing, in a subject matter you're interested in is an out-of-body experience.

Videogames have natural breaks after levels or game-overs, books you're invested in drain time like nothing else.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Regardless of how you view it, all are art forms and to say one is more valid than the next is simply illogical.

I like video games as much as the next guy, I just think there time has passed. A relic.

I am thinking about buying Vanquish. It tickles my pickle a little.

Reading a book that seems like it's written for you, in the style you're used to reading or writing, in a subject matter you're interested in is an out-of-body experience.

Videogames have natural breaks after levels or game-overs, books you're invested in drain time like nothing else.

hotline Miami was the last video game to grab me. 14 hours in a few days. It was a good time, I will stick to indie games because big budget games bore the shit out of me these days.

I get what you're saying and I kind of agree, but, chapters?

Hystzen

I just started playing MGS2 today. 2 hours in... I though Raiden was meant to be cooler than this, dude keeps slipping on seagull shite.

Also finished Uncharted 1 last night, it was gud but felt a bit budget. First two hours of U2 are fucking amazing by contrast.

So much games....! Damn you Miiiiiiiiiike! :D

MGS2 is the best in series , Raiden is perfect character for the writing it clicks perfect

daviyoung

Banned
I get what you're saying and I kind of agree, but, chapters?

Yeh, I remembered that as soon as I hit send haha.

However, they're not as long, or as immersion breaking as loading or death screens. A lot of times you won't even know what chapter you're on, but yes they're about as natural a break you can get if you're not totally into the book.

noffles

Banned
I really can't wait to go back to uni and go to the gym again. I miss the exercise and the RSI in my upper arm that I got from fapping is going to do some damage if I carry it on.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister

Even if it isn't immediately your thing it can be a great experience.

Many years ago I'd taken several false starts at War and Peace, eventually knuckled down to it and read the whole thing (at a reasonable pace, no skipping) in a single 36-hour stretch. Absolutely phenomenal experience. Long time ago, so I cannot remember a damn thing about the plot (I am gifted like that, it lets me reread things over and over), but I do remember the waves of emotion and the strange combination of relief, elation and sadness when it finished.

The following winter - first time I had my own flat and bloody cold (the river was frozen and heating failed) - I read the whole of Dance to the Music of Time, all 12 volumes. Extraordinary book. Probably seems very dated now, but the way it handles memory is magnificent, because when in volume 7 someone remembers something from volume 2 you remember it with just the same vagueness that they do, and it is kind of spooky the way that works.

Those were the first two serious works of fiction I'd ever read except under compulsion from school. Been a voracious reader of nearly everything ever since.

Mikeside

I've been really struggling lately.

Have always been an avid reader - EXTREMELY rare that I don't have a book on the go - I'd say that usually I do about 10 hours of reading a week.

Recently, though, I've been struggling to find books that will hold my interest. I'll pick up a book, read 2 or 3 chapters and will totally lose focus and interest.

I used to be really into sci-fi and fantasy books, but I've spent years reading that stuff, so I'm trying to branch out a little bit. I've found that I really love a book where there's no huge dramatic plotline, but something more like "if nobody speaks of remarkable things" by Jon McGregor or Eleven by Mark Watson.

Does anyone have any suggestions for books, or just general suggestions to boost the ole' enthusiasm?

Chinner

Banned
i used to read this book about the samuari dude in japan, was really interesting and quite a big book. frogot the name but it was good.

Have always been an avid reader - EXTREMELY rare that I don't have a book on the go - I'd say that usually I do about 10 hours of reading a week.

Recently, though, I've been struggling to find books that will hold my interest. I'll pick up a book, read 2 or 3 chapters and will totally lose focus and interest.

I used to be really into sci-fi and fantasy books, but I've spent years reading that stuff, so I'm trying to branch out a little bit. I've found that I really love a book where there's no huge dramatic plotline, but something more like "if nobody speaks of remarkable things" by Jon McGregor or Eleven by Mark Watson.

Does anyone have any suggestions for books, or just general suggestions to boost the ole' enthusiasm?

Some interesting theories and perspectives on life in this one.

daviyoung

Banned

Sorry man, but here's a sci-fi book that I'm loving at the moment.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11822933-shadow-of-a-dead-star

Otherwise, Life of Pi will make you enjoy books again.

*snip*

Those were the first two serious works of fiction I'd ever read except under compulsion from school. Been a voracious reader of nearly everything ever since.

Nice. It's really a phenomenon when you get so engrossed.

If I never manage to get a job over the summer, I'm going to just live at the local library.

Apparently bar work is quite lucrative, that's where I'll be looking. Anywhere that isn't the particular resteraunt I work at now.

That's one book I'd happily suffer a serious head wound to read for the first time again

Makes me glad I got it on my Kindle for 20p. Must read it at some point.

Anything by Neil Gaiman.

i used to read this book about the samuari dude in japan, was really interesting and quite a big book. frogot the name but it was good.

Shogun by James Clavell?

I think I need to re read Dark Tower saga by Stephen King again this year

I need to read this

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister

Kind of hard to make suggestions for books when I don't know what you like Mike. But if you don't know what you like either, then let's have a little tour round the five bookshelves in my bedroom:

Can dismiss bookshelf 1 quickly, it is full of law stuff. But for general reading I can recommend The Juryman's Tale by Trevor Grove and A.P.Herberts Uncommon Law - it might be a spoof but it is a bloody accurate spoof.

Bookshelf 2 has a whole load of science and arts and miscellaneous stuff in it. No idea what you are into, but assuming you are (a) smart and (b) interested there's Dawkins' Extended Phenotype, Richard Fortey's Dry Store Room No. 1 (which really is a must-read), Steven Pinker's The Blank Slate (probably the best of his books), David Deutsch's Fabric of Reality (bloody heavy going but worth it), Harry Tomlinson's book on Bonsai (Dan Barton is more fun in real life, but Tomlinson is way more practical), Robert W Gill's books on perspective (which are technically not needed now being as we have computers, but nevertheless give a fascinating insight into how to handle perspective properly - volume 2 is specially good), Don Norman on the Design of Everyday Things, Peter Thompson's Creative Propogation (by a long way the best book on propogation of plants), David Deutsch on the Evolution of Language. Then there's a bunch of accountancy stuff and a load of art, painting, craft, undersea exploration, geology and modelmaking that you may not be interested in.

Bookshelf 3 has reference books at the bottom. One Encyclopaedia Britannica and a bunch of Bibles, Dictionaries, Thesauruses, Atlases etc. Next shelf up is cookery. Then music, then we get onto miscellaneous stuff I haven't worked out what to do with yet but which does include W N Weech's History of the World (early 1940s but a damn good overview), Carcopino's Daily Life in Ancient Rome (wonderful), Primo Levi's If this is a Man (essential reading full stop), Steadman's Vermeer's Camera, Helene Hanff's 84 Charing Cross Road (yeah it's a tear-jerker, but it is real tears for real people), Ann Rule's The Stranger Beside Me (chilling), and a whole bunch of stuff on magic tricks and illusions where for some reason I have filed Ernst Gombrich's Art & Illusion and The Story of Art. Both worth reading.

Bookshelf 4 is fiction. Basically I have thrown away all my fiction except the stuff I enjoy rereading. It would have had a full set of Agatha Christies in it except I gave them all to my daughter, but now it has a mixed bunch of Lee Child, Dick Francis (all but one of them, and that's because I dropped it in the bath), and a handful of the David Baldacci. There's a limited number of these things the bear rereading.

Bookshelf 5 is what's on the go now, it is next to my bed. Top shelf is what I have to read next (thankfully it is pretty empty now), bottom shelf is stuff I really don't want to read but haven't got around to chucking out yet (like 7 habits of whatever corporate crap it is).

All the other stuff is downstairs. I'm nearly at the end of volume 1 of Gibbon's Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, but there's 6 volumes more to go and I don't have space upstairs yet.

I loved American Gods. Gaiman's Who episode was also a work of art.

He was great on Arthur too

Falafelosophy1-660x504.jpg

Im excited and hoping Jensen still beats Gabe but more interested in the Dracula take over then GM title match

oh shit also 4 way fight for champ title

• Championship Title Fatal Fourway - Gabe Newell vs Charles Barkley vs Ganondorf vs Dr Wily
  • GM Tournament Final - Gabe Newell vs Adam Jensen
  • Casual Championship Title Match - Red vs Wario
  • ongoing Dracula shit
  • Kefka's debut
  • Maijin Badman causing trouble

So much stuff!

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
For anybody who has played SpecOps The Line

Does the pacing get any better? This feels like GoW3

I like video games as much as the next guy, I just think there time has passed. A relic.

On the contrary, what will replace such a solid industry that is still thriving. In some ways it worsens with your call of duty copycats, milked franchises and such but that's the same with everything, you'll always have to sift through the shit to find the gems

Recommend me some specific Gaiman stuff and tell me why I should go for it. I trust you two more than a certain friend of mine who is so obsessed with him that her first daughter is going to be called Coraline.

Go!

I've only read American Gods... D:

Isn't Sandman supposed to be good? Musha, you handle this one

Jordan

English weather really needs to warm up. I have just been outside for two hours and I am freezing my arse off! It wasn't a bad day today until that, there is such a chill in the air!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom