• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT3| It's good, but it's not right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hystzen

hrmm, this could be it! maybe im misrembering iit but i remember it more of an adventure with fighting though..

Not Genji then it could be Tale of Heike or the Musashi novel

Musashi has 900 pages so it fits the big book description

they are 3 most known Japanese novels I can think of that I got

I know, I'm pretty sure we were having BBQs this time last year and a few trips to Brighton on the weekends because it was such nice weather!

I'm going camping in Newquay this weekend. It seemed like a reasonable time of year to do that when we planned it in Feb.

I've made a huge mistake.

I'm going camping in Newquay this weekend. It seemed like a reasonable time of year to do that when we planned it in Feb.

I've made a huge mistake.

Well we were ordered by our landlady to leave our heating on timer setting in the house while we were away over Christmas, to prevent pipes freezing. We haven't done so for Easter, then it started snowing >.> So hopefully no burst pipes to come back to in a few weeks time.

I want photos of the misery. Wrap up warm.

I'm currently going through the cycle of furiously F5-ing the BBC weather website every half hour or so in forlorn hope that Cornwall is going to turn into a tropical paradise in the next four days. I'll post some pics though (the iPhone imgur app is pretty sweet). By the looks of it I'm going to be wearing mainly jumpers and drinking mainly scotch.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
I'm currently going through the cycle of furiously F5-ing the BBC weather website every half hour or so in forlorn hope that Cornwall is going to turn into a tropical paradise in the next four days. I'll post some pics though (the iPhone imgur app is pretty sweet). By the looks of it I'm going to be wearing mainly jumpers and drinking mainly scotch.

I+approve.jpg

Get some Cornish Rattler on the cheap.
It's no cheaper there unfortunately

PJV3

Weatherman on tv is offering hope of warmth in two weeks time, the main forecasting models are only good out to 5 days, 7 at a stretch.

My conclusion is that the weatherman is a cunt.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
Weatherman on tv is offering hope of warmth in two weeks time, the main forecasting models are only good out to 5 days, 7 at a stretch.

My conclusion is that the weatherman is a cunt.

I think you can gauge weather further in advance than that, but it's a very unreliable science

Ashes

Banned
A guy's just been convicted of killing his children in a fire. Metro leads with:

UNREPENTANT benefits 'scrounger' Mick Philpott is back behind bars for killing six of his children - and it can now be revealed he was once jailed for trying to kill an ex-girlfriend.

smh.

PJV3

CHEEZMO™;52443822 said:
You should check the Daily Mail's front page.

I wonder if the killer read the Daily Mail, 'Killer fuelled by poisonous "newspaper"'
The bloke was a cunt, not very bright, and fucking selfish. if there wasn't a welfare state he'd probably have 15 kids out picking pockets.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Aww man, how come when I have a stomach upset it's usually between the hours of 9 and 6? Left work early yesterday due to painful gutrot and now today's not feeling much better. It makes me feel like a wuss but all I need is my own loo and bed for about 2 hours and I'll probably be ok. Damn this body!

Recommend me some specific Gaiman stuff and tell me why I should go for it. I trust you two more than a certain friend of mine who is so obsessed with him that her first daughter is going to be called Coraline.

Go!

I've only read American Gods... D:

Isn't Sandman supposed to be good? Musha, you handle this one

I first got into Sandman, and it's now one of my favourite graphic novels. But I've lent it to a few friends and they didn't really like it, so it is an acquired taste, and not knowing your taste it's hard to say whether you'll like it.

I would recommend American Gods or Neverwhere. In a similar way to Pratchett they deal with Fantasy but in a very real way with a modern human sense of humour and don't take themselves too seriously.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I wonder if the killer read the Daily Mail, 'Killer fuelled by poisonous "newspaper"'
The bloke was a cunt, not very bright, and fucking selfish. if there wasn't a welfare state he'd probably have 15 kids out picking pockets.

The guy was also on Jeremy Kyle because he had a live-in-lover while being married. Sounds like a classic English council estate legend (minus the child killing, obvs). Every estate has one.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I first got into Sandman, and it's now one of my favourite graphic novels. But I've lent it to a few friends and they didn't really like it, so it is an acquired taste, and not knowing your taste it's hard to say whether you'll like it.

I would recommend American Gods or Neverwhere. In a similar way to Pratchett they deal with Fantasy but in a very real way with a modern human sense of humour and don't take themselves too seriously.

Sandman is THE SHIT. I only read it a couple of years ago and I really valued reading it as an adult versus the murky half-reading I think I was guilty of as a teen. Sometimes I look back on stuff I used to read and I wonder how I understood anything at all. But it's really incredible, I even like the art. Trying to convince Mrs Sniv to read it but she's easily daunted by massive series.

I'm currently reading american gods for the first time too and I love it, I just find Gaiman's authorial voice so soothing and easy to sink into. I want his manbabies.

8bit

Knows the Score
Huh, I was wondering if this thread had been booted into community but it's been remarkably quiet by the look of things.

I read and enjoyed Sandman in comic form when it was published but I'm not sure I'd really appreciate reading nowadays. Also, it reminds me of someone I used to go to school with as he had Sandman painted on the back of his leather jacket and it looked kind of silly.

I think there's a new comic to come at some point this year though.

8bit

Knows the Score
And now that's jogged some memories, I'd suggest perhaps some of his work with Dave McKean first as a taster for Sandman as it's quite an undertaking in itself. Blurbs pinched from Neil's website.

Violent Cases : An exploration of the trappings of violence and the failings of memory, Violent Cases marks the beginning of the astonishing and award-winning collaboration between author Neil Gaiman and the artist Dave McKean, offered in its first Dark Horse edition, in softcover format with coverflaps. Set only in the memory of its author, this brillant short story meanders through levels of recollection surrounding a childhood injury. After dislocating his arm, a young boy is taken to see a doctor - an aged osteopath who was once the doctor of legendary gangster Al Capone. Through studied observations and painstaking attempts at truthful recall, the author reconstructs his tattered memories of the events surrounding his meeting with the doctor, and delves into the psychological complexities that emerged from the doctor's bizarre tales of Capone's life of crime.

Black Orchid : After being viciously murdered, Susan is reborn fully grown as the Black Orchid, a hybrid of plant and human, in order to avenge her own death. Now as this demigoddess attempts to reconcile her human memories and botanical origins, she must also untangle the webs of deception and secrets that led to her murder. Beginning in the cold streets of a heartless metropolis and ending in the lavish heartland of the thriving Amazon, this book takes the reader through a journey of secrets, suffering, and self-rediscovery.

Mr. Punch : A dark and frightening fully painted novella, MR. PUNCH tells the tale of a young boy's loss of innocence results from a horrific confrontation with his past. Spending a summer at his grandfather's seaside arcade, a troubled adolescent harmlessly becomes involved with a mysterious Punch and Judy Man and a mermaid-portraying woman. But when the violent puppet show triggers buried memories of the boy's family, the lives of all become feverishly intertwined. With disturbing mysteries and half-truths uncontrollably unraveling, the young boy is forced to deal with his family's dark secrets of violence, betrayal, and guilt.

Signal To Noise : Originally serialized in The Face, Signal to Noise is the story of a film director dying of cancer. His life's crowning achievement, his greatest film, would have told the story of a European village as the last hour of 999 A.D. approached -- the midnight that the villagers were convinced would bring with it Armageddon. Now that story will never be told. But he's still working it out in his head, making a film that no one will ever see. No one but us. Signal to Noise is a poignant story, rich in humanity, depth, and communications theory. (This was my first exposure to their collaborative work when it appeared in The Face)

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Huh, I was wondering if this thread had been booted into community but it's been remarkably quiet by the look of things.

I read and enjoyed Sandman in comic form when it was published but I'm not sure I'd really appreciate reading nowadays. Also, it reminds me of someone I used to go to school with as he had Sandman painted on the back of his leather jacket and it looked kind of silly.

I think there's a new comic to come at some point this year though.

JH Williams III on art, fuck yessssss son!

I think Sandman has definitely aged but instead of feeling dated it feels like a valuable document of the time. 90s mysticism influenced by the Cure rave culture and the dreadlocked hippies. Same as the Invisibles really, it's a window into another time now.

See, guys do like Gaiman.

Getting my Morpheus tattoo soon squeeeee!

What artist interpretation? I've been thinking about Sandman imagery for a tattoo as well but I don't know where I'd take it from. Maybe Daniel in his white suit. Or maybe based on the weird art from the Furies arc, I loved that stuff. D'Israeli in the hizzouse!

Feeling very hip hop with my comics artist shoutouts today.

Put yo hands in tha air for ma homie Frank Quitely woop woop

The_Sandman-_Endless_Nights_Poster_by_Frank_Quitely.jpg

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Also I know this is heresy but I really don't like Dave McKean's art. His Sandman covers are so samey, and his interior work is usually super hard to follow. He's good at maintaining an aethetic I guess but the work itself leaves me cold.

What artist interpretation? I've been thinking about Sandman imagery for a tattoo as well but I don't know where I'd take it from. Maybe Daniel in his white suit. Or maybe based on the weird art from the Furies arc, I loved that stuff. D'Israeli in the hizzouse!

It needs work but it's basically gonna be this

7BCA35A7-327D-48E9-A96E-F06DE95E1CFA-6069-000006AC45012643_zps0f8917a0.jpg

8bit

Knows the Score
Also I know this is heresy but I really don't like Dave McKean's art. His Sandman covers are so samey, and his interior work is usually super hard to follow. He's good at maintaining an aethetic I guess but the work itself leaves me cold.

I think it's as you identified in the previous post, it's very much of the time. Maybe I haven't noticed but I don't think there are many artists these days who build physical items for comic art. I remember that some of Bill Sinciewicz' covers for the Judge Dredd volumes used to be 3D sculptures with LEDs sticking out of them to be photographed but I don't think anyone does anything like that now.

Please tweet or FB the words 'VILE PRODUCT OF PAUL DACRE' today

I fucking hate the Daily Mail. Utter cunts. As my friend has just eloquently put it - post hoc ergo propter hoc sensationalism.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
My first experience with Gaiman was some sandman spinoff he wrote with art by Yoshitaka Amano.

Fuckin weeaboo

:p

I think it's as you identified in the previous post, it's very much of the time. Maybe I haven't noticed but I don't think there are many artists these days who build physical items for comic art. I remember that some of Bill Sinciewicz' covers for the Judge Dredd volumes used to be 3D sculptures with LEDs sticking out of them to be photographed but I don't think anyone does anything like that now.

Yeah the only other I can think of would be Simon Bisley back in 2000AD and Doom Patrol. Spraypainting some balls, wires and feathers has gone the way of Swampy...

It needs work but it's basically gonna be this

7BCA35A7-327D-48E9-A96E-F06DE95E1CFA-6069-000006AC45012643_zps0f8917a0.jpg

Ooooh that could definitely work, good choice.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I was born late. Original predication was a Christmas birth so thank God for that.

Though having a birthday during exam session wasn't that great during my later education years.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Technically we had infinite classes since everyone called themselves things like Upper Middle Middle Lower Upper Middle Upper Lower Middle Class.

Apparently we (my mum and dad) are technical middle. I... if I even count, am an "Emergent Service Worker", scoring low for income, but high for cultural activity.

Let's face it, it's just buzz words for the BBC to use in their economic reports.

Apparently we (my mum and dad) are technical middle. I... if I even count, am an "Emergent Service Worker", scoring low for income, but high for cultural activity.

Let's face it, it's just buzz words for the BBC to use in their economic reports.

If I hear them use the term "precariat", I swear I'm writing in to complain.

8bit

Knows the Score
I thought it was :

Harmless
Mostly Harmless
Poor
Average
Above Average
Competent
Dangerous
Deadly
Elite