• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT3| It's good, but it's not right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does this mean you know Ron Weasley?

I met Idris Elba last night, so there Tash.

Actually - there's a photo that got big on the funny image sites of OMG this British school is Hogwarts!!!! cos people look like Harry/Ron/Hermionie!!!! The Ron is actually Ed, and it's one of my full year photos. I'm cropped out of it but loads of my friends are in it.

Jordan

Actually - there's a photo that got big on the funny image sites of OMG this British school is Hogwarts!!!! cos people look like Harry/Ron/Hermionie!!!! The Ron is actually Ed, and it's one of my full year photos. I'm cropped out of it but loads of my friends are in it.

SXDYp5h.jpg

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
MORNING GAF

How you all doing? Good weekends?

Decided not to go for a jog as it's a sunday, i woke up at 8:30 to my alarm being thrown out of an awesome dream of me being a super hero in Kick Ass, stood up said quite loudly IT'S A FUCKING SUNDAY and then fell asleep

Did Cucumber Humpetbiscuit enjoy Cornwall?

Did Noffles get his student loan?

Did Jed enjoy the surprise birthday party?

What did everyone else do?

I need to know

Getting pissed off with this silly country.

Me and my partner's joint child and tax credit and housing benefit have been cut due to some stupid reason, which means we now are going to struggle like hell.

If I was earning £2,000 less a year, I would get £3,000 per year extra in benefits apparently, making me £1,000 better off than I am now. And according to this calculator online, if I wasn't working, I would still have a similar income.

What the fucking fuck. I'm getting depressed by working 45+ hour weeks and having nothing to show for it. Its getting to the point where me, my partner and my daughter are going to have to move back to my parents house and all share a single room

Fucking ridiculous.

Sucks man, people are getting fucked left right and centre, i feel for you bro, i feel for you...

Hopefully you fins a better job soon.. What do you do atm?

Jordan

MORNING GAF

Morning Tash,

I'm not too bad today, I have a really busy day today so hopefully I will be in a better mood than yesterday.

I am off to Watford today to go and get a suit for my new job! Then I have a Sunday Roast with the 'rents, and then I'm going late night bowling with my best friend and two girls from his work; so it will be a late one but fuck it!

Rich!

MORNING GAF

Decided not to go for a jog as it's a sunday, i woke up at 8:30 to my alarm being thrown out of an awesome dream of me being a super hero in Kick Ass, stood up said quite loudly IT'S A FUCKING SUNDAY and then fell asleep

Did Cucumber Humpetbiscuit enjoy Cornwall?

Did Noffles get his student loan?

Did Jed enjoy the surprise birthday party?

What did everyone else do?

I need to know

Sucks man, people are getting fucked left right and centre, i feel for you bro, i feel for you...

Hopefully you fins a better job soon.. What do you do atm?

Store manager, £19k p/a. £1,250 per month after tax. Breakdown per month:

Rent: £700
Electric: £150
Water: £50
Council Tax: £70
Phone/internet: £40
Car/Petrol (essential for work) : £140 loan plus £70 petrol
Loan from bank: £40.

That's £1,260. My entire wage gone even BEFORE any food, clothes or nessecities for my baby daughter. My girlfriend can't work as she is obviously looking after my daughter for the 50 hours a week im working, AND she has a heart condition (had heart surgery two weeks ago).

We already get council tax benefit, and can't get any more. Up until Friday we were getting £300 a month in child and housing benefits - now that's been suspended as they need to take my income into consideration - which is apparently too high to be eligible for any benefits.

Been searching for another job for months. Can't find anything. I have a degree in Interactive Computer Design - obviously that's been utterly useless.

Fucking stupid fucking country. Fuck it all.

£150 a month on electric?? Wtf?

Also if your gf can't work because of her heart condition, is she not getting disability benefits?

How old is your kid?

Rich!

Well that sucks!

The only option is to cut back on things you dont physically need, or could your wife get a job?

Because of the hours my store is open and allocated, I work almost every evening and early morning. 50 hours a week, plus travel - and more if staff are absent as its part of my contract to cover. Without paying for childcare, its impossible.

My girlfriend isn't eligible for benefits in relation to her health. My daughter is just about six months.

Jordan

This country seriously makes me sick, my brother has just got a flat and neither him or his girlfriend work; the council pay for everything.

My brother has a mental disability which in the Dr's opinion makes him unable to work, but he is perfectly able to work he is just lazy. The girlfriend is classed as his 'carer' and a mother and doesn't work either.

(Yes, I don't get along with my brother)

Yet, there are people out there who genuinely need help and the government is constantly fucking them over. I still live at home with my parents which wasn't the plan when I was younger but I've not been able to do it at all and unless I move out with someone with a job or a partner then I'm going to be stuck here for a while. Yet there are people out there who don't work, don't help society or do anything at all apart from sit on their lazy arses and they get all sorts of help from the government. Where is the sense in that?

Rich!

£150 a month on electric?? Wtf?

We have poor insulation and no central heating, which means fuckloads of money spent on storage heaters in each room to make the place liveable. I guess that's the main issue - I only ever use my computer and TV at night, and the night readings are miniscule.

But I've checked it all out and argued it with British Gas to no avail. Apparently its all correct.

Rubbish King

Ahh Jordan that sucks, a lot of my old friends do this...I know how annoying it is to see
Because of the hours my store is open and allocated, I work almost every evening and early morning. 50 hours a week, plus travel - and more if staff are absent as its part of my contact to cover. Without paying for childcare, its impossible.

Ahh, Well i think the only solution is cutting back on things you dont need..

that electric bill can definitely be reduced substantially, get your kids to get aware on it, dont leave tvs routers and lights on over night, change lightbulbs to energy savers.

Change your ISP for a cheaper one, if you're using sky, switch to freeview etc

We have poor insulation and no central heating, which means fuckloads of money spent on storage heaters in each room to make the place liveable. I guess that's the main issue - I only ever use my computer and TV at night, and the night readings are miniscule.

But I've checked it all out and argued it with British Gas to no avail. Apparently its all correct.

Move house? It'll be a bitch but you'll eventually save more money

Chinner

Banned
richisawesome, would moving to a different flat help perhaps as you would save on electric? Assuming it had decent insulation? I'm sure you have probably considered that anyway!.

Rich!

Wellll

We don't use our lights unless its pitch black, and they're energy saving ones. Everything is switched off when we go to bed.

We don't have Sky TV, we use the box as a freeview receiver. Our internet and phone are essential really in this day and age for job searching and communication with social committee/family/store. And its a negilible cost anyhow.

I don't buy any films or games anymore, neither does my partner. I have a PC and Wii U, but I don't see myself buying anything for it for a long time unfortunately.

Basically, we have no luxuries. We don't go out. We have no social life, and apart from my car, my tv, pc and Nintendo we have no posessions to speak of. I've sold all my handhelds, all our games, all of our films and all of my girlfriend's jewellery.

gah

Rich!

richisawesome, would moving to a different flat help perhaps as you would save on electric? Assuming it had decent insulation? I'm sure you have probably considered that anyway!.

We live in an area where £700 a month is cheap. If I move too far away, its unreasonable to get to work and back.

We have a small two bedroom house and it literally was the cheapest we could find. My parents were considering building a place, but that didn't work out.

One saving grace is that in ten years or so, I'm apparently due £300,000 in inhertitance from my grandparents...which will buy a house. But that seems like a lifetime away, and im absolutely depressed as all hell right now.

Rubbish King

Wellll

We don't use our lights unless its pitch black, and they're energy saving ones. Everything is switched off when we go to bed.

We don't have Sky TV, we use the box as a freeview receiver. Our internet and phone are essential really in this day and age for job searching and communication with social committee/family/store. And its a negilible cost anyhow.

I don't buy any films or games anymore, neither does my partner. I have a PC and Wii U, but I don't see myself buying anything for it for a long time unfortunately.

Basically, we have no luxuries. We don't go out. We have no social life, and apart from my car, my tv, pc and Nintendo we have no posessions to speak of. I've sold all my handhelds, all our games, all of our films and all of my girlfriend's jewellery.

gah
I reckon you need to move bro, doesn't seem like you can do this for much longer, where abouts are you now?

I'm assuming you rent. It's your landlords responsibility to ensure your home is up to code, including making sure it is properly insulated, so get on to them about that. Also ask them about getting some form of central heating installed.

Rich!

I'm assuming you rent. It's your landlords responsibility to ensure your home is up to code, including making sure it is properly insulated, so get on to them about that. Also ask them about getting some form of central heating installed.

We tried asking about that during the time when our hallway ceiling collapsed due to a leak and flooded the porch.

I should probably ask again. We have an energy rating chart for our house, and its under the worst rating possible.

We tried asking about that during the time when our hallway ceiling collapsed due to a leak and flooded the porch.

I should probably ask again. We have an energy rating chart for our house, and its under the worst rating possible.

Shit yes, ask and ask and ask again! Keep hassling them about it till they cave.

dalin80

Banned

I ripped the storage heaters out of my flat and replaced them with a couple of far far more efficient small oil filled rads. Not a new building either its just coming up to a 100 years old.

Current electric bill is around £12 a month.

For comparison-

Mortgage - £300
Electric: £12
Water: £10
Council Tax: £75
Phone/internet: £25
Car/Petrol: £60
Loan from bank: £0

SteveWD40

I ripped the storage heaters out of my flat and replaced them with a couple of small oil filled rads. Not a new building either its just coming up to a 100 years old.

Current electric bill is around £12 a month.

Yeah those oil radiators are great, not sure how we did without ours.

Rubbish King

I actually commented on mike's mum's hotness before it was cool..

Rich I think you should move, start looking for work in other areas of the country

Go_Ly_Dow

@richisawesome

Wishing you the best of luck mate.

Sounds like the house rates and energy prices is what's causing the most issues.

Don't give up the search for a cheaper place, even if you have to negotiate with a landlord. If you could find a place for the same price, but that comes with central heating then that will also help bring your overall monthly expenses down.

Also keep pushing with your current landlord for central heating, it's ridiculous you don't already have it.

Try and explain your situation to citizens advice, there may be something you're entitled to that you are not aware of.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Thanks, Mush - that's about the last thing I need tagged onto my e-persona. You're turning me into William from The Inbetweeners.

Fuck you.

HAPPY FUCKING BIRTHDAY JEDEYE, YOUR FRIENDS ARE COOL. I HAD A BLASTY BLAST

Thanks for coming man, it was a great time! Fun to see everyone dressed like crazy people having a laugh. I'm quite proud that I didn't get too ruined, I only have a very minor hangover today. LLCool was utterly wankered though so I have no band rehearsal after all, going out with mum to get clothes instead.

So yeah all round great time. Looking forward to chilling the fuck out tonight!

Edit: still have your bass here! AlsO will post my fedora pic later :p

Mikeside

Thanks for coming man, it was a great time! Fun to see everyone dressed like crazy people having a laugh. I'm quite proud that I didn't get too ruined, I only have a very minor hangover today. LLCool was utterly wankered though so I have no band rehearsal after all, going out with mum to get clothes instead.

So yeah all round great time. Looking forward to chilling the fuck out tonight!

Edit: still have your bass here! AlsO will post my fedora pic later :p

Haha sorry, I'll grab the bass on tuesday?
Yeah, she seemed drunk when demanding the jager, I assumed you wouldn't be the only one not up for loud music in a small room today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom