• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT3| It's good, but it's not right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Oh man why did this weekend had to go so quick :( I was enjoying my run through with the original Thief (Gold edition) since I've been going through a lot of classical games at the moment. Thief is definitely up there with Splinter Cell:Chaos Theory as pinnacle titles of the stealth genre.

Do any of you get that old school itch from time to time when there's hardly anything exciting in the current generation?

Oh man why did this weekend had to go so quick :( I was enjoying my run through with the original Thief (Gold edition) since I've been going through a lot of classical games at the moment. Thief is definitely up there with Splinter Cell:Chaos Theory as pinnacle titles of the stealth genre.

Do any of you get that old school itch from time to time when there's hardly anything exciting in the current generation?

Sometimes I yearn for a good point 'n' clicker, when hardly any major studios seem to release them these days. I've exhausted everything from the 'golden age', and I don't think there's anything on SCUMM from the '90s that I've missed.

Fortunately, it's the kind of genre that's pretty well catered for by Indie devs. This thread is really all you need :)

Got back from day 1 roller derby with the Sheffield squad and Hot Wheels team. Fuck, my back is dead, but I really want to become good at it now. Didn't fall that much and picked up a lot in a short time, so hopefully I can be baller as fuck really soon... plus I can use Donkey Show as my roller derby name if I pass my minimum skills. >:D

recovered from hang over. highlgiht of night was bumping into donkey show in the mens toilets

Was good huh? :3

noffles

Banned

Nostalgia is the main reason I pick up games I'm already done with.

daviyoung

Banned

hashtaghashtaghashtaghashtaghashtaghashtaghashtaghashtaghashtaghashtaghashtaghashtaghashtaghashtaghashtaghashtaghashtaghashtaghashtaghashtaghashtaghashtaghashtaghashtaghashtaghashtaghashtaghashtaghashtaghashtaghashtaghashtaghashtaghashtaghashtaghashtaghashtaghashtaghashtaghashtaghashtaghashtaghashtaghashtaghashtaghashtaghashtaghashtaghashtaghashtaghashtaghashtaghashtaghashtaghashtaghashtaghashtaghashtaghashtaghashtaghashtaghashtaghashtaghashtag

Hystzen

After the new thief reveal (finally) I been hitting Thief 2

noffles

Banned
I think I might start this 90 day challenge thing that keeps popping up on the front page of OT every now and then.

Gives me something to do, I guess.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
What are you guys and gal's favorite study snacks? I need brain food!

For drink I do water exclusively but for the food part I'm trying to come up with some good choices. I've got a lot of projects coming up and I'm trying to stay healthy where possible. I was thinking maybe kettle chips, trail mix, chocolate covered almonds, fruit. That kind of thing.

SKINNER!

Banned
What are you guys and gal's favorite study snacks? I need brain food!

vinM5eY.png
CYpNZ5W.jpg

Water or cup of coffee for a drink.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Been busy in the shop (yep, even on a rainy Sunday). Sounds like I missed a few events here.

Musha, if you want to be "liked" (as opposed to, I guess, just plain liked) I guess I going to have to damn well set up a facebook account. Might take me about a week, gotta steel myself up to it as I have been resisting it for years.

Welcome back tash ... eventually - don't go doing it again whatever it was. Oh, and watch your damn step noffles, don't get cocky. Oops - too late.

BritGAF rules: #11 = no rules

What have you guys done with Dave? Where is the body?

Been busy in the shop (yep, even on a rainy Sunday). Sounds like I missed a few events here.

Musha, if you want to be "liked" (as opposed to, I guess, just plain liked) I guess I going to have to damn well set up a facebook account. Might take me about a week, gotta steel myself up to it as I have been resisting it for years.

Welcome back tash ... eventually - don't go doing it again whatever it was. Oh, and watch your damn step noffles, don't get cocky. Oops - too late.

BritGAF rules: #11 = no rules

What have you guys done with Dave? Where is the body?

But you have to have an account to have a page right? Who's account is the shop's page on then?

Don't go selling your soul to Facebook on my account though phi, I'd feel bad

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
But you have to have an account to have a page right? Who's account is the shop's page on then?

Don't go selling your soul to Facebook on my account though phi, I'd feel bad

Strangely enough, you don't. Or at least you don't have to have a personal account. I just set up the page for the shop no problem, but since it isn't a personal page I can't "like" other people unless I have a personal account (which is why our own likes are so woeful, because we can't like people or pages back so can't go out harvesting them). What happens is you then use the personal account in the name of the page to do the liking and stuff. Not entirely sure how that contributes to transparency. Or how it fucking works actually, sounds unnecessarily complicated.

Appreciate your concern Musha, but I think I am going to have to sell my soul for you (though I do appreciate there may be beneficial side-effects on the business!).

Lectures start again tomorrow booooo

I'm in the last week of Easter technically but I've gone back a week early to revise and get these two essays done. I'll be gutted if I get a 2.2 this year. I mean it's not irreparable as second year only amounts to 25%, but every little helps.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I hate not having an assigned topic for research papers. I never can decide what to choose, because I don't want to just present an issue I want to have a solution. Maybe I'll do cyber-bullying.

Mike, you free for an interview?

Strangely enough, you don't. Or at least you don't have to have a personal account. I just set up the page for the shop no problem, but since it isn't a personal page I can't "like" other people unless I have a personal account (which is why our own likes are so woeful, because we can't like people or pages back so can't go out harvesting them). What happens is you then use the personal account in the name of the page to do the liking and stuff. Not entirely sure how that contributes to transparency. Or how it fucking works actually, sounds unnecessarily complicated.

Appreciate your concern Musha, but I think I am going to have to sell my soul for you (though I do appreciate there may be beneficial side-effects on the business!).

Well if it'll benefit your business then I guess I don't feel so bad!

Jordan

So, I start the new job in just over an hour. Absolutely shitting myself, I hate how nervous I get. I'm sure it will all go great, I'm excited that it's something new and I never have to go back to my old workplace.

Has anyone tried to repair old bridges with friends that you stopped talking to?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The way the media confuses trolling and cyber bullying is beyond stupid. They are either making trolling out to be a bigger than it is (because calling Link a girl should be headline news) or downplaying bullying. I bet they haven't even heard of the term flaming (which is usually the term they should be using for over half their mean messages made online articles)

The way the media confuses trolling and cyber bullying is beyond stupid. They are either making trolling out to be a bigger than it is (because calling Link a girl should be headline news) or downplaying bullying. I bet they haven't even heard of the term flaming (which is usually the term they should be using for over half their mean messages made online articles)

When is anything in the media about computers or the internet not beyond stupid?

I totally agree, I've been thinking that for a long time. Every time they mention people trolling on Facebook I'm like, that's not trolling? How do they not even understand the proper meaning of the word?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Back to work today after the damned flu wiped out half of my holiday. Yeah I managed to complete the entire MGS series but at the expense of leaving the house or getting laid so it was a double edged sword. Feeling a bit guilty too since Mrs Sniv caught the same illness but a couple of days later so she's currently coughing and shivering at home.

Let's do this, world! Go easy on me for a day though...

8bit

Knows the Score

There was one recently about Fearne Cotton maybe, concerning her choice of name for her son.

Ah, here it is..

Fearne Cotton has been viciously criticised on Twitter about the name of her and boyfriend Jesse Wood's baby son Rex Rayne.

The Radio 1 DJ Tweeted that she was 'over the moon' to have given birth last Thursday - but has since been inundated with cruel jibes saying that the moniker makes Rex sound like a dog.

'Fearne Cotton has given birth to a baby boy, "Rex Rayne". Who the **** suggested that name, Scooby Doo?' Tweeted one troll.

Another wrote: 'Did I just hear that Fearne Cotton has called her baby Rex? What's she had, a baby or a labrador?'

Read more at http://akamai.nowmagazine.co.uk/cel...baby-son-rex-a-dog-s-name#OtKoI0ZQkc0vl2qJ.99

I can't help but think that if it wasn't an online comment, the commenter would have been described as a joker or a wag instead.

'Fearne Cotton has given birth to a baby boy, "Rex Rayne". Who the **** suggested that name, Scooby Doo?' Quipped one wag.

Trolling used to be rather more elaborate, now it's a lazy insult for someone you don't agree with and doesn't begin to describe bullying or mobbing. It's not as if Fearne is constantly receiving texts with the message Scooby! from this tweeter constantly. One person made a joke and moved on.

SKINNER!

Banned
Has anyone tried to repair old bridges with friends that you stopped talking to?

yes and no. I attended a house party last halloween and discovered that an old high school friend was there. We used to hang around a lot during 1st and 2nd year but 3rd year onwards he became somewhat of an asshole (not to me. just generally. I didn't agree with his actions). Disrupting classes, picking on other students and trying to act all macho. We never ended our friendship on a sour note but instead just slowly distanced ourselves from each other. Fast forward 7+ years later and we chatted and had laughs and reminisced on old times. Halfway through our conversation he stated that he was hesitant to be in the party when he found out I was coming. As much as I'm delighted that we managed to talk and clear the air, I was somewhat baffled that I gave off this hostility vibe towards him. If I havent spoken to him for X number of years then why would I try to be a dick to him, start a fight and ruin a good friend's halloween party?

But I digress. On the other hand, there are a few friendships that ended on a sour note and - at the moment - I have no intentions of ever rekindling. Ended really badly involving humiliation (some girl-related) and stuff. Part of me wants to swallow my pride, move on and fix the friendship (which I did try once) but part me wants to stand up for myself, be the better person and find new/better friends. Who knows, time heals everything I suppose so maybe it'll resolve itself in the future once I realise how dumb it was.

So, I start the new job in just over an hour. Absolutely shitting myself, I hate how nervous I get. I'm sure it will all go great, I'm excited that it's something new and I never have to go back to my old workplace.

Is it friends you just stopped talking to because of never really seeing each other of did you fall out.

If you fell out it might be a pain but if its the former it should be pretty easy if its because you are in a situation where you will be seeing them again. Shouldn't be any hard feelings there to block anything.

Anyway good luck on your job. Hope it all goes well. For a second I thought you had a new job repairing old bridges lol.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
There was one recently about Fearne Cotton maybe, concerning her choice of name for her son.

Ah, here it is..

I can't help but think that if it wasn't an online comment, the commenter would have been described as a joker or a wag instead.

'Fearne Cotton has given birth to a baby boy, "Rex Rayne". Who the **** suggested that name, Scooby Doo?' Quipped one wag.

Trolling used to be rather more elaborate, now it's a lazy insult for someone you don't agree with and doesn't begin to describe bullying or mobbing. It's not as if Fearne is constantly receiving texts with the message Scooby! from this tweeter constantly. One person made a joke and moved on.

I know what you mean, I think it's a problem with the language the media will generally use, the words don't fit properly. It's always someone being criticised or 'slammed' when in fact what this article means to say is that "Fearne Cotton was mercilessly mocked by internet dickheads for what she has deigned to name her son and it'll all be forgotten about in around 2 hours". As with any kind of piss-taking, there are levels to it, this seems fairly harmless and probably less than Gwyneth Paltrow had to go through when she called her kid 'Apple'.

I think an interesting effect of the internet is that whenever anything happens, there are reactions online taking the piss out of it. Previously, if you wanted a joke about a baby name or a politician dying you might need to call up Jim Davidson for a quote. But now you search twitter and there are ten thousand Jim Davidsons, lots of them throwing out tastless jokes like they've got a sell-by-date. It's a different world, one the traditional media is in no way equiped to understand.

My body's still a bit wrecked from roller derby last night, but I think I'll be good today. Really looking forward to the next training session.

And man, I need that new Daft Punk album in my veins already. That Pharrell/Daft Punk teaser they've been playing is so fucking good.

Chinner

Banned
is there any way to get rid of all the shit on windows 8 with the os disc?

turns out microsoft has made it difficult to revert back to windows 7, and i just don't have the time to do it.

also turns out the manufacture hasn't supplied the OS disc, so i can't do it easily. so is there any way to do it or do i just have to uninstall everything one by one?

8bit

Knows the Score
What are you trying to do? You should be able to clean install Windows 7 over 8 if you have that installer disc. If not, have you at least got a license key for 7 that you could use if you can find someone with a Windows 7 installer?

Chinner

Banned
its because the manufacturer has put all these disc partitions on and when I tried to install it it said the disc file was corrupt (when it was not)

Mikeside

its because the manufacturer has put all these disc partitions on and when I tried to install it it said the disc file was corrupt (when it was not)

When you go to do a fresh Windows 7 install, just delete all the partitions before you actually install & use the unpartitioned space to install. It'll automatically create one large lump & will use that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom