• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT4| - "Our Only Goal In Life Is To Become As Alpha As Possible"

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperSah

Banned
University is about getting out there and meeting new people and shit. Nothing against your friends but having a pact to all go back to your hometown seems like a wasted opportunity to me.

It's also that study rates are way higher up North than South. I'd rather be where i'm at home.

I know a guy who went to Sheffield Hallam and graduated 2 years ago.

What are you going to study?

Studying Law & Criminology.

Chinner

Banned
University is about getting out there and meeting new people and shit. Nothing against your friends but having a pact to all go back to your hometown seems like a wasted opportunity to me.

yeah, and no offense, but Sheffield is probably one of the shittest cities in the UK. it's like the iammikeside of cities.

SuperSah

Banned
yeah, and no offense, but Sheffield is probably one of the shittest cities in the UK. it's like the iammikeside of cities.

I'm from Sheffield and I don't view it that way.

Knowing me, i'll change my mind. I have Leeds and Hull in mind too.

Mikeside

VZXgyMC.gif

f0rk

It's also that study rates are way higher up North than South. I'd rather be where i'm at home.

Studying Law & Criminology.

From what I can see this course is £9000 which is the cap.
To be frank 'I'd rather be at home' when you're just 18 is bullshit. At least go look at some other places.
How are your grades?

faridmon

I had my worst years at my uni for the past 3 years. Thank god it was London and I had way more fun with the city, otherwise I would have gone insane from depression.

Metting people and having fun at uni is what I have been told. What lie!

SuperSah

Banned
From what I can see this course is £9000 which is the cap.
To be frank 'I'd rather be at home' when you're just 18 is bullshit. At least go look at some other places.
How are your grades?

It's my choice, you know, not yours and I have other options as mentioned.

And yes, I know Law is AAA or AAB etc. and I did really well last year and i'm sure I can repeat this trend. As long as I work, I should be fine grade-wise.

Chinner

Banned
I'm from Sheffield and I don't view it that way.

Knowing me, i'll change my mind. I have Leeds and Hull in mind too.

fair enough, i've lived around the UK and been to so many other countries. sheffield is at the bottom off the list. it's depressing with a poor city centre and night life.

faridmon

fair enough, i've lived around the UK and been to so many other countries. sheffield is at the bottom off the list. it's depressing with a poor city centre and night life.

Curious, what do you think of Birmingham?

Sheffield might not be as good city as you say, but I heard the Uni life is one of the better in UK.

Chinner

Banned
Curious, what do you think of Birmingham?

Sheffield might not be as good city as you say, but I heard the Uni life is one of the better in UK.

If you want Uni life go to Leeds. Big nightlife scene over with anything you fancy, makes Sheffield look like a desert in comparison.

f0rk

And yes, I know Law is AAA or AAB etc. and I did really well last year and i'm sure I can repeat this trend. As long as I work, I should be fine grade-wise.

I know it's your choice, I'm just giving you another perspective and being harsh cos I know you probably won't listen.
And I asked about grades because if they're good could you not find somewhere more exciting than Hallam? I mean there's a reason they only ask for 300 UCAS points compared to the rest

SuperSah

Banned
I know it's your choice, I'm just giving you another perspective and being harsh cos I know you probably won't listen.
And I asked about grades because if they're good could you not find somewhere more exciting than Hallam?

It's early days. It's a tentative choice and I did say there are other choices. Leeds, Hull etc. are other choices. I have over a year to decide, I likely won't end up back in Sheffield.

I'll find something that suits my needs and what'll get me a degree to progress.

Try not to be so harsh man.

Chinner

Banned
yeah we're not trying to be harsh, we're just trying to do a favour. if you wanna be north near your friends, you can to leeds, or manchester or york or something.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving

The thing is that university is more about the experience, it's a big part of growing up so to just do it down the road seems a bit bland....especially when it's not a particularly good uni, you may aswell just do an open university course

Yeah, i've repeated myself three times now; I have other choices too.

Definitely cast your net wide when looking for universities. Personally I wish I hadn't ended up as far away as I did (200+ miles), but putting yourself outside your comfort zone is always rewarding. Even within a 50 mile limit around Sheffield you'd certainly find some of the best places in the country to study your course (might as well go to one of the highest ranked ones you can if you feel you fit in there).

Personally my time at uni....wasn't a great one, but that was due to reasons beyond my control, and nothing to do with the university itself.

SuperSah

Banned
Definitely cast your net wide when looking for universities. Personally I wish I hadn't ended up as far away as I did (200+ miles), but putting yourself outside your comfort zone is always rewarding. Even within a 50 mile limit around Sheffield you'd certainly find some of the best places in the country to study your course (might as well go to one of the highest ranked ones you can if you feel you fit in there).

Personally my time at uni....wasn't a great one, but that was due to reasons beyond my control, and nothing to do with the university itself.

Cheers for the advice. Just to point out, I no longer live there, i'm in London now, i'd just prefer to study up North.

Cheers for the advice. Just to point out, I no longer live there, i'm in London now, i'd just prefer to study up North.

Oh yeah. In that case then I'd even see what is around London. It's worth investigating at the very least. Though I understand fully if you feel at home up north, the % of people up their own sweaty arseholes is much higher down south.

SuperSah

Banned
Oh yeah. In that case then I'd even see what is around London. It's worth investigating at the very least. Though I understand fully if you feel at home up north, the % of people up their own sweaty arseholes is much higher down south.

Of course i'll be checking every Uni I could possibly find. It'll all boil down to which accept me, really. I assure you all, the chances of me going to Hallam is low. :p

Lirlond

Go further north. Glasgow is ranked 5th in the country for law. And its fucking beautiful. Id link some photos but im on my phone.

Volotaire

Heard Nottingham has got a pretty insane nightlife.

Would agree with some of the sentiments the people in this thread have been repeating having seen some of my friends go off to uni last year.

Makes me excited for next month.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I had fun at uni and met a lot of new people. Come graduation though I haven't seen a soul since…

Darren870

Oh man. I'm feeling it now. Evilore and I were out till about 6 am. I'm still drunk and don't know what the fuck I'm doing.

NinjaBoiX

Oh man. I'm feeling it now. Evilore and I were out till about 6 am. I'm still drunk and don't know what the fuck I'm doing.
Sounds like a mad night dude!

I had a lame/awesome night. Chilled with the lads having a few beers, watched some Ray Mears in bed, then got a solid 9 hours sleep.

I was actually properly dancing in the van on the way to work, I feel fucking awesome! Last day of work till Monday too.

npPIo.gif

Chinner

Banned
i have a sneaking suspicion that the clique are going to try and convince evilore to ban myself and many others. hopefully he has the will power to resist their southern charms.

Haha, awesome, glad you showed the boss man a good time. Gutted I had to bail so early, but I'm not sorry this morning! Gotta be all refreshed and well rested for tomorrow....

NinjaBoiX

Go further north. Glasgow is ranked 5th in the country for law. And its fucking beautiful. Id link some photos but im on my phone.

The West End (where Glasgow Uni is) is absolutely lovely. Great parks, some fantastic bars and eating places, and it's a generally pleasant place to walk around in. And the City Centre is only a subway trip or short taxi ride away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom