• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT4| - "Our Only Goal In Life Is To Become As Alpha As Possible"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Symphonia

Banned
I never get the whole 'Use By' date on foods. My steak says the use by date is today, but if I use it today, it will stay taste as good as it did yesterday...right?

Mikeside

I never get the whole 'Use By' date on foods. My steak says the use by date is today, but if I use it today, it will stay taste as good as it did yesterday...right?

Use by dates are just a way to get cheap discounted foods - I never pay attention to them.

Unless it's milk. I hate the taste of old milk.
Meat and veg you can tell if it's OK with a squeeze and a sniff. Same as a good boob.

Symphonia

Banned
It'll taste the same, but I guess the worms might be something you don't want.
No worms and the meat feels firm enough still, with no discolouring.

I'll cook it and let you know after how it is. If I don't reply, then I'll just let you assume that use by dates really are there for our safety.

Vashetti

Banned

You could probably use it for the next couple of days and it would still be fine.

I swear I read an article on this, the "use by" thing is just a precaution they put on foods so people can't sue them over getting ill.

NinjaBoiX

Mike is right, a good boob should be smooth and soft to the touch and should have a gentle scent of vanilla.

If it has formed a hard crispy shell and smells like petrol, it's possibly past it's best.

Mikeside

buy me a drink at the meet and i'll let you have a go

If I wanted a hand full of hairy man-tit, I've got better ones than you anyway.

To be fair, I'm at the point where I'm not really that bothered about missing out on sex anymore. It's the actual companionship I miss more.

Either way, it's low on my priorities list right now.

Mike is right, a good boob should be smooth and soft to the touch and should have a gentle scent of vanilla.

If it has formed a hard crispy shell and smells like petrol, it's possibly past it's best.

To be fair, I've never felt a crispy one, but I've definitely felt boobs that probably weren't fit for consumption. Lumpy ones, leathery ones and ones with way too much nipple being the worst offenders.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
You could probably use it for the next couple of days and it would still be fine.

I swear I read an article on this, the "use by" thing is just a precaution they put on foods so people can't sue them over getting ill.
Use by and best before are different but yeah, you should be fine, but I would recommend munchkin that shit tonight

Symphonia

Banned
I just finished the steak (although it wasn't cooked to perfection) and I'm still alive. I guess the mystery behind whether the dates are there for our safety remains unsolved. Still, kinda gutted that the steak wasn't as done as I'd hoped.

afoni

Banned
To be fair, I've never felt a crispy one, but I've definitely felt boobs that probably weren't fit for consumption. Lumpy ones, leathery ones and ones with way too much nipple being the worst offenders.

please teach me how to talk to girls about this kind of thing

Mikeside

I just finished the steak (although it wasn't cooked to perfection) and I'm still alive. I guess the mystery behind whether the dates are there for our safety remains unsolved. Still, kinda gutted that the steak wasn't as done as I'd hoped.

There's a real knack to cooking a steak perfectly.
I, unfortunately, do not have it. Mine are always either under or over. All I want is a goddamn rare steak :(

please teach me how to talk to girls about this kind of thing

'foni pls. Talkin' to girls about their boobs is easy.

Symphonia

Banned
There's a real knack to cooking a steak perfectly. I, unfortunately, do not have it. Mine are always either under or over. All I want is a goddamn rare steak :(
It's all about well done, man. Mine, unfortunately, was undercooked and a shade too pink for my liking.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
There's a real knack to cooking a steak perfectly.
I, unfortunately, do not have it. Mine are always either under or over. All I want is a goddamn rare steak :(

It's not all that hard.

For starters heat the pan up first - it is deadly difficult to get it right starting with a cold pan.

Bang the steak in the pan, after about a minute turn it over.

Keep an eye on the edge of the steak. When the edge has turned brown (or at least less red than it was) take it out of the pan and leave to rest for 5 mins before eating.

If the steak is too thin for you to see the edge, it is the wrong sort of steak to cook rare.

That's the result of years of practice Mike. It gets more tricky if you like it rare and your wife (like mine) likes it well done. Answer is when you take yours out, turn hers over and leave another 5 mins.

EDIT: with rare steak, add mushrooms/onions etc first time you turn it over. With well-done steak add them second time you turn it over. If trying to do both at the same time use a different pan.

SmokyDave

I just cooked dinner.

By 'cooked', I mean 'phoned Domino's and ordered a large Pepperoni Passion with a Double Decadence base and double bacon, a portion of Chicken Kickers and some Twisted Dough Balls with Pepperoni'.

I had to call 'em because my online voucher didn't work, so that's kinda like cooking.

Mikeside

It's not all that hard.

For starters heat the pan up first - it is deadly difficult to get it right starting with a cold pan.

Bang the steak in the pan, after about a minute turn it over.

Keep an eye on the edge of the steak. When the edge has turned brown (or at least less red than it was) take it out of the pan and leave to rest for 5 mins before eating.

If the steak is too thin for you to see the edge, it is the wrong sort of steak to cook rare.

That's the result of years of practice Mike. It gets more tricky if you like it rare and your wife (like mine) likes it well done. Answer is when you take yours out, turn hers over and leave another 5 mins.

EDIT: with rare steak, add mushrooms/onions etc first time you turn it over. With well-done steak add them second time you turn it over. If trying to do both at the same time use a different pan.

I'll give it a go.

I already try making sure the meat is room temp, heating the pan a LOT, greasing the steak not the pan & the ole touch your palm with your finger techniques, but nothing has worked thus far.

maybe I just need to cook more steak?

Onions and mushrooms in the pan is a definite win. As is some black peppercorn sauce. Yum as fuck!

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
I'll give it a go.

I already try making sure the meat is room temp, heating the pan a LOT, greasing the steak not the pan & the ole touch your palm with your finger techniques, but nothing has worked thus far.

maybe I just need to cook more steak?

Onions and mushrooms in the pan is a definite win. As is some black peppercorn sauce. Yum as fuck!

Might be just which steak you are buying. Lidl's used to do (maybe still do) some really awesome and cheap frozen steaks that cooked beautifully. A lot of the Tesco/Sainsbury stuff is either too thin or too tough too cook easily and/or well. M&S do some apparently good value steaks but they are tasteless and inconsistent in thickness so hard as fuck to cook well.

Make friends with a local butcher if you can, and go for sirloin over rump.

EDIT: Don't overdo it with heating the pan. I start out with than pan really hot for about a minute (just so I get that nice sizzling sound when I bang the steak in), but then turn it right down to less than medium - cooks slower, but it is easier to gauge when it is the way you like it.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
I just cooked dinner.

By 'cooked', I mean 'phoned Domino's and ordered a large Pepperoni Passion with a Double Decadence base and double bacon, a portion of Chicken Kickers and some Twisted Dough Balls with Pepperoni'.

I had to call 'em because my online voucher didn't work, so that's kinda like cooking.

This sounds delicious. Man I'm starving.

Mikeside

Might be just which steak you are buying. Lidl's used to do (maybe still do) some really awesome and cheap frozen steaks that cooked beautifully. A lot of the Tesco/Sainsbury stuff is either too thin or too tough too cook easily and/or well. M&S do some apparently good value steaks but they are tasteless and inconsistent in thickness so hard as fuck to cook well.

Make friends with a local butcher if you can, and go for sirloin over rump.

Next time I'm home for an evening, I'll give steaks another go.

Y'all should try my mushroom and sweet potato stew, though. Food of kings.

Sonic Youth might be on an hiatus, but goddamn is Chelsea Light Moving (Thurston Moore's new band) a worthy replacement! Reminds me of older SY material. So glad I bought the album, "Burroughs" rocks my world so much (2nd song they play on the live video linked below), might go light headed from all the headbanging.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t63myjDkJ8Q

The right way to cook steak is medium-rare or rare, depending on the cut. But I know a lot of people who can't eat meat if it's pink, it's all about personal preference. But yeah it's not too hard to cook steak good, just takes practise, so keep trying and you'll get it.

And Dave I know exactly what you mean, I don't have enough time to game these days and I'm definitely not as good as I used to be, so I just start everything on easy.

SKINNER!

Banned
Just got back from Gravity. Visually great and the pacing of the film is well done. Story is a bit simplistic (Was expecting something like "Moon") but I'm pleased with it considering the pacing.
Loved the part when Ryan goes into the Russian satellite base for the first time and the second she shuts the hatch you don't hear anything except the bass mimicing the consistent ear-thud heartbeat just like how a real person would hear in when they're in dead silence. Thought that was clever as hell

Oh and Bad Grandpa was better than Jackass 3.

8bit

Knows the Score
Oh man, we couldn't be less steak-compatible.
I like it very rare. I think a good steak shouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility for a skilled vet to turn things around.

Before leaving the UK I don't think I had ever had a steak that wasn't mostly carbon, but I've since been introduced to decent cuts that have barely been poked with a soldering iron and they're great. And carpaccio, man, I love carpaccio. I draw the line at tartare though.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Oh man, we couldn't be less steak-compatible.
I like it very rare. I think a good steak shouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility for a skilled vet to turn things around.

OK, given that Mike, you got only three options varying in expense. Here's the list, cheapest first best last:

1) Marinade the steak first - with some random combination of olive oil/vinegar and whatever else takes your fancy (garlic, worcester sauce etc) for about 24 hours in the fridge. Then cook in hot pan for no more than 1 minute each side (assuming steak is at least an inch thick - if not then don't bother).

2) The restaurant at the top of Schiphol Airport near Amsterdam

3) Fortuny's in Madrid

Mikeside

OK, given that Mike, you got only three options varying in expense. Here's the list, cheapest first best last:

1) Marinade the steak first - with some random combination of olive oil/vinegar and whatever else takes your fancy (garlic, worcester sauce etc) for about 24 hours in the fridge. Then cook in hot pan for no more than 1 minute each side (assuming steak is at least an inch thick - if not then don't bother).

2) The restaurant at the top of Schiphol Airport near Amsterdam

3) Fortuny's in Madrid

Fuck, I was just in Amsterdam like 2 months ago.

NinjaBoiX

Three key steps to a top steak:

- Allow it to reach room temperature beforehand. This aids even cooking. Never cook a steak straight from the fridge

- Leave it open to the air for a few hours before you cook it. This concentrates the flavour and tenderises the meat

- Turn it regularly. Like every 20 seconds. This again aids even cooking, as both sides are effectively cooking at all times as the residual heat will continue to cook the top side for half a minute or so

Of course, you should allow it to rest for a few minutes before serving as well, to allow the tissues in the meat to relax after getting all tense in the pan. It also aids fluid retention so you get a nice juicy bite. Yum.

Boom, primo steak.

Chinner

Banned
wheres donkey show nowadays? is he too busy settling down with this girl and their dog?

i wanted to show him how my god gundam is looking :(
ZA9BfFX.gif

Chinner

Banned
yeah it is. i'm not sure what model kit you got, but the manual should explain everything. the best thing is just getting everything painted and adding all the details, and just seeing it come together. a lot of kits dont even need painting, but painting just makes it look so much better.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Fuck, I was just in Amsterdam like 2 months ago.

Near-as-dammit every place in Amsterdam does steak properly. Next time you are there just head into town from the station (not forgetting to stop off for a coffee at the awesome place with the parrrot on platform 2) towards Dam Square and duck into any restaurant you find, there's at least one about halfway down on the right.

Beware of trams.

And bicycles.

SKINNER!

Banned
Lions beating the Chicago Bears again! So fucking good. Take that pregnant Bears fan who mocked me in the London underground at the Wembley game back in 2011. Where's your God now?

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I don't watch sports much but my hometown team is undefeated so far so it's been fun to see everyone get excited around here. We've been shit for the past 10 years so it's really hype inducing to see us do well.

We're probably going to tank next game though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom