• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT4| - "Our Only Goal In Life Is To Become As Alpha As Possible"

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokyDave

Still got my original DC. Got a VGA box and the the proper SEGA arcade stick for it too. I'd never get rid of it.

The console has a fucking crazy library if you like arcade games.

Nick Griffin has been declared bankrupt. So what has he gone and done? Produce a booklet explaining how to manage money effectively. The sooner this cunt gets put on a raft far out into the sea the better

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Nick Griffin has been declared bankrupt. So what has he gone and done? Produce a booklet explaining how to manage money effectively. The sooner this cunt gets put on a raft far out into the sea the better

If he can take Richard Littlejohn and Katie Hopkins with him, I'll help set this up.

Mikeside

I love The Smiths, and some of his solo stuff too, but I'm through trying to defend all the ridiculous crap he comes out with (not sure why I feel any obligation to do that anyway tbh...). He's beyond parody at this point.

I love The Smiths but I just can't get into solo Morrissey. Any advice on where to start?

Yeah, personally I got big into The Smiths while at uni, and while pretty much everything they did was quality, there ain't that much of it unfortunately. I bought Viva Hate just cos I needed my fix after devouring all their stuff, and while Suedehead and Every Day Is Like Sunday are good, the rest of the album isn't much cop - especially if you're comparing it to the four Smiths albums. I guess the best idea is to try to not make that comparison, but it's kinda hard not to...

At the risk of making a slightly Partridge-esque suggestion, I'd honestly have to recommend just picking up The Best of Morrissey. It's got all the decent singles, and his solo albums always tend to contain a lot of "filler" imo.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Dreamcast was alright if your fine playing 3d sonic when you're buddies are all in wild police chases on GTA III. If you wanted to walk that path then you would be fine with a life in soldiery confinement.

afoni

Banned
I just remember barreling a car over the gate to the subway at the beginning of GTA3 and getting to a different island earlier than I was supposed to.

Loved it.

Symphonia

Banned
Dreamcast was alright if your fine playing 3d sonic when you're buddies are all in wild police chases on GTA III. If you wanted to walk that path then you would be fine with a life in soldiery confinement.
I had PS2 and DC. Still got my PS2 in a box somewhere and I should be getting a DC soon.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider

You have the world's broadest taste! Have a listen to these

Luke Abbott (warm+ woozy):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cYhHQFjvZk

Animal Collective (overpressed but it's such a good song)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEzPId5AGpM

Bowie in his late 70s splendour and not as overplayed as Boys Keep Swinging (which is still amazing):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEJjASV20kc

Sleater-Kinney when they were more Led Zep than Bikini Kill (and still didn't get enough credit)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbxRu7fwR24

jimbor

Banned
I thought it was pretty darn tasty. Plus surely it gives me "I know London places" street cred? Maybe Jimbor would advise we make the trip to Dirty Burger instead. Is the one by Vauxhall worth the trip?

Oh man, we need to catch up so bad. (I also need to get my musicclub PM over to you. Will do that very soon!)

A bit of a walk along the river might be nice, actually. If the weather holds out, I think I might suggest that. I'm sure we could always grab a bus from Tower Bridge to Shoreditch.

Cheers Spacks, I think I've got my day planned out.

Geffreye museum or British museum are always great. The first is in Shoreditch area too. As for burgers, Dirty Burger is good although not sure I'd bother travelling to Vauxhall for it if I was more central. Centrally (soho) Honest Burger is usually a good taste to value proposition. Patty and Bun is fucking amazing (near Bond Street) but you may have to queue. For a great noodle soup, Bone Daddies (soho) is great, like a wanky Wagas. A Shoreditchian should love it! There's sometimes architecture photography exhibition at a place near Baker Street at this time of year. Let me try and track it down.

Edit: Son of D, tread carefully mane. A friendship isn't worth being fucked up over a crush.

Edit 2: Cheers, Ninj. Fucking cats!

Edit 3: Mike, I've just remembered the walking tour I did on my second date with Maria. It was really good and pay what you want at the end. We did the afternoon tour, from St Pauls to Monument. Takes about three hours, including stops. Can't recommend it enough though. Dude's website, you'd need to send him an email: http://www.bowlofchalk.net

NinjaBoiX

Edit: wahay, Jim is back!

Good to see you mane.
You have the world's broadest taste! Have a listen to these
I like a bit of everything really, variety is the spice and all that. I have music on at any opportunity, I don't understand people who choose to conduct most of their life sans tunes. Plus, my mates are into all different kinds of stuff, I just sponge it up. If it stirs my beans, I don't care if it's pretentious chin-stroking prog-rock or saccharine bubblegum pop. You get to a point where you stop giving a shit what's "cool" to listen to, it's kind of liberating.

I loved the Luke Abbott and Animal Collective tracks. I've been meaning to check AC out for a while. I've never been a huge fan of Bowie to be honest, it's just a bit too theatrical for me I think. I can appreciate his talent, it's just not my bag.

Sleater-Kinney though, just the ticket! That could've been cherry picked for me. I'm always a big fan of female vocals, especially with rock music. The Joy Formidible, The Breeders, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, PJ Harvey, that one band I like, it's just goes together like peas and carrots. And rock chicks are inherently hot.

I'll post a few more I guess, late night vibes:

Bill Withers - Grandma's Hands (live)
(Bonus points if you recognise who sampled it)

Aphex Twin - Girl/Boy Song

Cheikh Lô - Jamm

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Damnit, I wanted to post a link to the "piece" "Sweetness of Freddie" off of the soundtrack to "The Master" but it's not on the YouTube.

Imagine a really lovely short orchestral piece that is kind of subtle, comes on, does its thing and then finishes. See, I did it for you!

Goodnight BritGAF...

afoni

Banned
Housemate got her student loan through and mine hasn't come yet.

I've also realised I have less money remaining than I thought.

Badtimes.

I just found out that an old friend of mine died on 20th December, 4 days after he had wished me a happy birthday. I have no idea how he died.

I hadn't seen him in years, but only a few months ago we were talking about meeting up soon. Now I really regret not making more of an effort to see him.

A harsh reminder that life is short and we have to make the best of it while we can, make time for your friends and loved ones before it's too late.

Here's to you James.
http://youtu.be/NI82rz048Fg

Mikeside

Fuck why am I going to bed at 4am. I gotta be up and charming in like 5 hours.

Best few games of FIFA of my life though.

I just found out that an old friend of mine died on 20th December, 4 days after he had wished me a happy birthday. I have no idea how he died.

I hadn't seen him in years, but only a few months ago we were talking about meeting up soon. Now I really regret not making more of an effort to see him.

A harsh reminder that life is short and we have to make the best of it while we can, make time for your friends and loved ones before it's too late.

Here's to you James.

That really sucks, Mush. I'm sorry.

NinjaBoiX

I've had a solid 9 hours sleep two nights in a row, feels goodman. I'm feeling pro-active this weekend, I'm gonna get shit done. Maybe.

Mike, keep an ear to the ground for our birthday soirée geez, let's get something organised sooner rather than later. Does anyone else fancy joining me and Mike for our little get together start of next month? Probably a gig or club night or something, no idea what yet though.
I just found out that an old friend of mine died on 20th December, 4 days after he had wished me a happy birthday. Here's to you James.
Well that's sucks, sorry to hear that Musha.

Is that his music you linked? I like it. The video is trippy as fuck too.

Salazar

If you're fond of Hi-Standard, No Brain are perhaps worth a listen.

Boys, Be Ambitious, and That's Youth - solid albums.

Michael Gove versus Sir Richard Evans, Regius Professor of Modern History is a good old well-matched intellectual tussle innit

SKINNER!

Banned
Dreamcast was shit

Q2BmE.gif

Mikeside

Mike, keep an ear to the ground for our birthday soirée geez, let's get something organised sooner rather than later. Does anyone else fancy joining me and Mike for our little get together start of next month? Probably a gig or club night or something, no idea what yet though.

I'm thinking a club night of some sort will be easier, but if we can think of a gig that would be awesome.
Could we make it mid Feb? I have to dogsit over my birthday now :(

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Not to be a negative nancy but since we did say that 05/01/2014 was the Secret Santa deadline and tomorrow there'll be no posts I'd just thought I'd point out I haven't received anything yet.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Fuck why am I going to bed at 4am. I gotta be up and charming in like 5 hours.

Best few games of FIFA of my life though.

That really sucks, Mush. I'm sorry.

Ah if I'd have known you were up I would have bothered you, I needed some ears on something at about 2 am lol

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I'm thinking a club night of some sort will be easier, but if we can think of a gig that would be awesome.

There's a rollergirls thing in Guildford on the 16th if you fancy it? :p actually that goes for everyone in the south, Rollergirls! 16th Feb! Guildford! Guaranteed hot ladies!

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
old flatmate is getting fired for stealing almost 200 quid, he's getting told he can either gtfo out of the building in 48 hours or he's being prosecuted

Here's to you James.

Sorry to hear that mush, losing people sucks, is there gonna be a funeral?

NinjaBoiX

Tash, that old flatmate of yours sound like a massive bellend.
If you're fond of Hi-Standard, No Brain are perhaps worth a listen.
Yeah, No Brain are OK, but Hi-Standard are the nuts. They're the band that got me into punk. Then my mate who is a massive NOFX/Fat Mike fan boy got me into Screeching Weasel, Rise Against, Descendants (Milo Goes To College is one of my records), Anti-Flag, Less Than Jake, etc.

What a dude:

PeylwNf.jpg

iQJRttv.jpg

I love that Fat Wreck only sign one-record deals and that he gives the bands he signs pretty much total autonomy. It's the punk ethos in a nutshell really.
Yeah mate, nothing is set in stone yet. Early days innit.
Not to be a negative nancy but since we did say that 05/01/2014 was the Secret Santa deadline and tomorrow there'll be no posts I'd just thought I'd point out I haven't received anything yet.
That's shit dude. It sounds like it's gone missing let's be honest. :/
You're just the poster that keeps on giving. Good selection, sir!
I do try geez.
There's a rollergirls thing in Guildford on the 16th if you fancy it? :p actually that goes for everyone in the south, Rollergirls! 16th Feb! Guildford! Guaranteed hot ladies!
Intrigued...

Son Of D

Here's to you James.

Sorry to hear about that Musha. Losing a friend is never easy.

Symphonia

Banned
I've been in a bit of a weird mood today, a mixture of calm and content with a sense of dread as I return to work on Monday. I really cannot be bothered with work after having such a nice Christmas break, although my liver may disagree with that. I think I'll just kick back tonight and take it easy while listening to some blasts from the 'past'...

System Of A Down - Chop Suey
Billy Talent - Fallen Leaves
Funeral For A Friend - History
Funeral For A Friend - End Of Nothing
Ultrabeat - Pretty Green Eyes

Scooter - Logical Song

And, of course, no night would be complete without at least one listen to...

Paramore - Paramore

That should keep me going for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom