• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT4| - "Our Only Goal In Life Is To Become As Alpha As Possible"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah yes they definitely are. However NIN is one of my favorite bands and so when I discovered them I fell in love. Glad you appreciate them despite that. :D
Hahaha I had the same sort of reaction when I first started listening to them.

Here's one from their album in 03 or 04

Here's another from Weapon.

NIN are awesome, better than Skinny Puppy imo.

Unfortunately I've only seen them once, and even more unfortunately it was at Sonisphere 2009 and they were bloody awful. None of my group knew them, so I was big hyping them up, telling everyone how awesome they were and how we all had to go see them. They ended up playing just new stuff, which was not great, and nothing from the older, better albums at all.

I've not even bothered to get Hesitation Marks yet, is it worth it?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Used to get Subs almost every Wednesday (or was it Thursday) while a volunteer for their sub of the day; turkey breast and ham. Yeah, it's the most basic but it gets the job done.

Haven't gone to one in ages now. Still would likely order the same. Only change I've made is removing green peppers. For something that doesn't seem to have much taste it seemed to easily over power everything.

AcridMeat

Banned
NIN are awesome, better than Skinny Puppy imo.

Unfortunately I've only seen them once, and even more unfortunately it was at Sonisphere 2009 and they were bloody awful. None of my group knew them, so I was big hyping them up, telling everyone how awesome they were and how we all had to go see them. They ended up playing just new stuff, which was not great, and nothing from the older, better albums at all.

I've not even bothered to get Hesitation Marks yet, is it worth it?
Not disputing that at all! Just been on a big SP kick. Funny because I was on a big NIN kick about a month and a half ago.

That's a damn shame they weren't good, though I guess depending on what they played I may have still enjoyed it. I saw them for the first time in November and it was one of my favorite shows I'd been to. First time I was in a stadium and first time in seats but I had a blast despite being alone for it. Met some good people.

I think Hesitation Marks has some good songs, but again it depends on what sort of albums you like or dislike from NIN. There's definitely a lot of drum machine but I think it's a solid album overall.

Just try to avoid listening to Everything because you'll hate it and go what in the fuck is this garbage trash. It sounds like U2 or something. There's harmonies. :/

edit: Right it's almost 3am here night you magnificent bastards.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I used to really like NIN and remember them fondly, but I find that much like the Eels, Trent has a tendancy to fall back onto the same rhythmic or melodic tricks as usual, so nothing since Year Zero has really grabbed me and I find the drum sound on that record really annoying now in retrospect. However, there was a remix album for Year Zero was was fucking INCREDIBLE.

edit: Mantra from the Sound City OST is amazing as well. Trent, Josh Homme and Dave Ghrol. Yes yes yes.

NinjaBoiX

I used to really like NIN and remember them fondly, but I find that much like the Eels, Trent has a tendancy to fall back onto the same rhythmic or melodic tricks as usual.
Yeah, I love Eels, but E does tread similar ground from time to time. I found most of their later stuff to be a bit whack. The last album I even remotely enjoyed was Shootenanny!, and even that was a massive step down after the brilliant Souljacker.

Electro-Shock Blues is the best record though, so so good.
Mantra from the Sound City OST is amazing as well. Trent, Josh Homme and Dave Ghrol. Yes yes yes.
iKd0iqxQrdItK.gif

I need this in my veins.
Dave Grohl has tragically become the Phil Collins of Grunge.
Aww fuck, I just spat coffee all over my paperwork. It was worth it though!

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I KNEW I was spelling that wrong!

But yes, kinda. Super middle of the road these days which is a shame. People get old I guess.

Yet Tom Waits is only getting weirder...

Don't get me wrong, he seems super nice, is an incredible drummer, aaaaaand made an absolutely amazing firsts solo album (Everlong is nice too, I guess), but after that he lost me. Fucking Monkey Wrench, Dave? REALLY?!

PLUS, he "reformed" Nirvana with Paul bloody McCartney at the helm, which is unforgiveable.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider

Don't get me wrong, he seems super nice, is an incredible drummer, aaaaaand made an absolutely amazing firsts solo album (Everlong is nice too, I guess), but after that he lost me. Fucking Monkey Wrench, Dave? REALLY?!

PLUS, he "reformed" Nirvana with Paul bloody McCartney at the helm, which is unforgiveable.

You and me. We're gonna get along fine.

He's amazing on Songs for the Deaf though. Grohl Queens are best Queens.

And I thought the McCartney thing wasn't so bad. Helter Skelter McCartney good. Twee McCartney bad.

Mikeside

Monkey Wrench is my favourite Foos track :-(

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
You and me. We're gonna get along fine.

He's amazing on Songs for the Deaf though. Grohl Queens are best Queens.

And I thought the McCartney thing wasn't so bad. Helter Skelter McCartney good. Twee McCartney bad.

You. You can be my wing... uh... woman, any time.

QotSA peaked with the blistering Oliveri/Grohl combo, didn't they? I need more naked dwarf bass players in my life.

Ah.

Um.

Errrr... SAY! I love your avatar pic. Lookin' good, sir! Looking good!

EDIT: I wouldn't worry about my opinion regarding music. I listen to some god awful shit.

SKINNER!

Banned
Still would take Foo and QOTSA over overrated Nirvana. Not even the best grunge band >.>

EDIT: You Know You're Right and Heart-Shaped Box are great songs though. I'll give them that.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
You. You can be my wing... uh... woman, any time.

QotSA peaked with the blistering Oliveri/Grohl combo, didn't they? I need more naked dwarf bass players in my life.

You just wait till I get home and link you up with the Glastonbury footage of queens playing Regular John with Dave G. It's just breathtaking.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Still would take Foo and QOTSA over overrated Nirvana. Not even the best grunge band >.>

Even more controversially, Nirvana aren't even a grunge band in my opinion. They share very little DNA with the likes of Pearl Jam, Soundgarden or Alice in Chains... all of which sound closer to 80s hair metal to me. Nirvana are more like The Pixies, Mudhoney or Sonic Youth. They seem to have closer to ties to punk music, especially post-Bleach.

/adjustsglasses

Best Nirvana

You just wait till I get home and link you up with the Glastonbury footage of queens playing Regular John with Dave G. It's just breathtaking.

What year? Is that on the Second Stage because I may very well have been there XD

SKINNER!

Banned
Suppose you got a point there Screaming Meat. Nirvana do audibly stand out from other grunge bands. They probably got thrown in the pile becuase they're from Seattle. 90s Punk was my real passion back in the hey-day. Mostly pop-punk but slowly started venturing out of that territory to other types of punk (and music too) once I realised most pop-punk music consisted of whining about break ups and parents. Stopped listening to Kerrang-esque music circa 2005/06 once the emo phase was in full force and metal was just twats in skinny jeans and makeup. Fuck that.

Also, Green Day's American Idiot is 10 years old this year. Jesus of Suburbia came on the shuffle during the gym last night and it dawned to me. mind...blown.

NinjaBoiX

EDIT: You Know You're Right and Heart-Shaped Box are great songs though. I'll give them that.
Nah, Foo's are great and all that, but I find it hard to get too excited by them. QOTSA are far more exciting and interesting IMO. And Nirvana were godly, so much emotion and energy in their music. I don't think there is a track I dislike by them.
Best QOTSA track, believe.

And as good as Songs for the Deaf is, I think they peaked with Rated R.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Also, Green Day's American Idiot is 10 years old this year.

Oh gawd. Now I feel old. Er.

90's punk, eh? Offspring's Smash and Green Day's Dookie were on constant rotation back in the day.

Nah, Foo's are great and all that, but I find it hard to get too excited by them. QOTSA are far more exciting and interesting IMO. And Nirvana were godly, so much emotion and energy in their music. I don't think there is a track I dislike by them.

Yea boi. See? We got penty of common ground on the music front!

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Even more controversially, Nirvana aren't even a grunge band in my opinion. They share very little DNA with the likes of Pearl Jam, Soundgarden or Alice in Chains... all of which sound closer to 80s hair metal to me. Nirvana are more like The Pixies, Mudhoney or Sonic Youth. They seem to have closer to ties to punk music, especially post-Bleach.

/adjustsglasses

What year? Is that on the Second Stage because I may very well have been there XD

I disagree with you on that. I think of Soundgarden as more of a psych-prog-hard rock-metal band and of PJ as a 'classic rock' band that started off as a bit hair metal + Led Zep and are now more Neil Young + The Who.

I love them both though. That's my home turf that is!

Ooo I think um 2002 ish?

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I disagree with you on that. I think of Soundgarden as more of a psych-prog-hard rock-metal band and of PJ as a 'classic rock' band that started off as a bit hair metal + Led Zep and are now more Neil Young + The Who.

That’s fair enough. In any case, I don’t think it’s fair that poor ickle Nirvana gets lumped in with those. Out of interest, how do you feel about the newer PJ stuff? I heard a few snippets…

I love them both though. That's my home turf that is!

YOU’RE FROM SEATTLE?!?!

Ooo I think um 2002 ish?
I was there! That was the year I also saw Rolf Harris. Um…

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
That’s fair enough. In any case, I don’t think it’s fair that poor ickle Nirvana gets lumped in with those. Out of interest, how do you feel about the newer PJ stuff? I heard a few snippets…

YOU’RE FROM SEATTLE?!?!

New PJ is disappointingly dull IMO. I think they hit their peak with Yeild/Binaural, everything since has felt a bit warmed over. It's nice that they want to 'rock' but it doesn't really 'rock' very much. I prefered their more country influenced stuff to the newer surf rock influence. Gotta give them credit for keeping on going though.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider

YOU’RE FROM SEATTLE?!?!

Oh dear, wrong impression. No! I'm from Blackpool.

I mean that my teenage years were all Nirvana, PJ, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Screaming Trees etc. I used to be completely obsessed with Eddie Vedder and had the posters and all sorts. I even had big shorts although weirdly I didn't get pink hair until much later (sadly no more crazy colours because I have to work with grown ups).

The newer stuff is a bit too mushy for me. I still buy everything they do and I'm still in the fan club (!) but the albums don't have that spark anymore. You've got to be miserable to make that kind of music and they're all happy and well-adjusted now, the bastards. What about all us that are grumpy and insecure??

Mikeside

I mean that my teenage years were all Nirvana, PJ, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Screaming Trees etc. I used to be completely obsessed with Eddie Vedder and had the posters and all sorts. I even had big shorts although weirdly I didn't get pink hair until much later (sadly no more crazy colours because I have to work with grown ups).

The newer stuff is a bit too mushy for me. I still buy everything they do and I'm still in the fan club (!) but the albums don't have that spark anymore. You've got to be miserable to make that kind of music and they're all happy and well-adjusted now, the bastards. What about all us that are grumpy and insecure??

You need to watch the Portlandia episode where Carrie dates the guy with the Eddie tattoo. So funny

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
New PJ is disappointingly dull IMO. I think they hit their peak with Yeild/Binaural, everything since has felt a bit warmed over. It's nice that they want to 'rock' but it doesn't really 'rock' very much. I prefered their more country influenced stuff to the newer surf rock influence. Gotta give them credit for keeping on going though.

Yup. For me it's Vitalogy and esp. No Code. The self titled was pretty good though, I liked that one.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Ah, I was kidding! Blackpool, eh? The sunny Seattle of En-ger-land.

Yeah, it isn’t my cuppa. I aurally recoiled at how polished it was. Admittedly, I’ve never been a fan of Pearl Jam (I do a mean Vedder impression though… by “mean”, I mean “crap”) but I’ve heard plenty over the years and the new stuff seemed more like Coldplay than anything.

The newer stuff is a bit too mushy for me. I still buy everything they do and I'm still in the fan club (!) but the albums don't have that spark anymore.

D’awwww

You've got to be miserable to make that kind of music and they're all happy and well-adjusted now, the bastards. What about all us that are grumpy and insecure??

That’s a goddamned art manifesto right there.

NinjaBoiX

Sploat, if you like Screaming Trees, have you heard any of Mark Langan's solo stuff? This is a fantastic album:

DhvhmVA.jpg

Yea boi. See? We got penty of common ground on the music front!
Oh yeah, Mos Def. ;)

I think if we were to draw one of those A circle, B circle intersecting diagrams, our circles would pretty much overlap. There'd be a little sliver of A on my side for Paramore and a sliver of B on your side for Melt Banana.
I was about to hit you upside the head there Jedward, but then I realised I just keep getting confused with your acronyms!

But Peej > PJ. True story.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Just picked myself up a meatball sub, nom :D

Win fail

Yup. For me it's Vitalogy and esp. No Code. The self titled was pretty good though, I liked that one.

Yeah I love those two the most. Perfect records.

Ah, I was kidding! Blackpool, eh? The sunny Seattle of En-ger-land.

Yeah, it isn’t my cuppa. I aurally recoiled at how polished it was. Admittedly, I’ve never been a fan of Pearl Jam (I do a mean Vedder impression though… by “mean”, I mean “crap”) but I’ve heard plenty over the years and the new stuff seemed more like Coldplay than anything.

Totally, new PJ is so polished that it's almost brittle, like the guitars have absolutely no width or depth to the sound. Bit of a shame. They always have at least one cracking song on each record though. But one song ain't enough.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Sploat, if you like Screaming Trees, have you heard any of Mark Langan's solo stuff? This is a fantastic album:

I was about to hit you upside the head there Jedward, but then I realised I just keep getting confused with your acronyms!

But Peej > PJ. True story.

He was involved with that cracking Soul Savers album, wasn't he? There is something about his voice that I find quite arousing.

Fuck yeah Lanegan! Everyone needs to check out the Gutter Twins if not heard already. Lanegan and Greg Dulli of Afghan Whigs. Brilliant stuff. We saw them do an acoustic set at the Royal Festival Hall, stunning.

NinjaBoiX

He was involved with that cracking Soul Savers album, wasn't he? There is something about his voice that I find quite arousing.
I'm not sure mate, I've only heard his solo stuff and Screaming Trees. But I'll happily check out more Lanegan, I'll have a look tonight. But yeah, his voice is glorious, so raspy but effortlessly capable with it.

I love this one:

Mark Lanegan feat PJ Harvey - Come To Me

So sexy and soothing.

SKINNER!

Banned
Oh gawd. Now I feel old. Er.

90's punk, eh? Offspring's Smash and Green Day's Dookie were on constant rotation back in the day.

My previous avatar was an Offspring one. Know every track, every album. Back to front. Somewhat prefer Ixnay over Smash. They are quite horrendous now...no where near as poser horrendous as Green Day but they seem to have only churned 1 or 2 good songs in the last 2 albums they released. Really didn't like how they've matured but I'm glad they're still making music.

I used to be completely obsessed with Eddie Vedder and had the posters and all sorts.

Was it the tamborine tattoo that eventually put you off him?

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not sure mate, I've only heard his solo stuff and Screaming Trees. But I'll happily check out more Lanegan, I'll have a look tonight. But yeah, his voice is glorious, so raspy but effortlessly capable with it.

Here we go. EAT MY GOSPEL.

In many respects, although not musically, he reminds me of a young Tom Waits... with Will Ferrell's eyes...

MARK LANEGAN
tom-waits.jpg

OMG I can't believe you lot have actually been having a discussion about music I actually know and love for once and I've been stuck in a bloody meeting most of the morning! Dammit.

Tomorrow it will have been a month without smoking

Fuck you fags I win

Touch wood

Congrats Tash! That's awesome. 2 months for me on my 3rd attempt :/

I like Monkey Wrench too. The Color and the Shape is still probably my favourite Foos album.

Suppose you got a point there Screaming Meat. Nirvana do audibly stand out from other grunge bands. They probably got thrown in the pile becuase they're from Seattle. 90s Punk was my real passion back in the hey-day. Mostly pop-punk but slowly started venturing out of that territory to other types of punk (and music too) once I realised most pop-punk music consisted of whining about break ups and parents. Stopped listening to Kerrang-esque music circa 2005/06 once the emo phase was in full force and metal was just twats in skinny jeans and makeup. Fuck that.

Also, Green Day's American Idiot is 10 years old this year. Jesus of Suburbia came on the shuffle during the gym last night and it dawned to me. mind...blown.

I stopped buying Green Day albums after Nimrod, and Offspring albums after Conspiracyof One. They've had some ok stuff out after those but it's just not the same.

Totally agree with everything in this post.

I think one of my fave QOTSA songs is Hangin' Tree, that time signature....

Still kinda prefer Kyuss though.

SKINNER!

Banned
Offspring albums after Conspiracyof One. They've had some ok stuff out after those but it's just not the same.

Mature Offspring are laughably bad. They're like trying hard to be a Foo Fighters but they're coming off as a bunch of old guys making jokey tracks. Wish they'd stop trying to recapture the Pretty Fly success again.

Dividing By Zero and Slim Pickens from their last album is probably the only decent, interesting songs that they've done since Conspiracy of One...and even then those two tracks don't come anywhere close to how interesting songs on Smash/Ixnay were. EDIT: Forgot that Splinter had some really great tracks too.

NinjaBoiX

Here we go. EAT MY GOSPEL.

In many respects, although not musically, he reminds me of a young Tom Waits... with Will Ferrell's eyes...
Sweet, cheers meat, I'll check it out.
I think one of my fave QOTSA songs is Hangin' Tree, that time signature....

Still kinda prefer Kyuss though.
Awesome choice mush, more Mark Lanegan love in here! We got an impromptu fan club going on.

Kyuss are rather tasty too.

Blink Me

I stopped buying Green Day albums after Nimrod, and Offspring albums after Conspiracyof One. They've had some ok stuff out after those but it's just not the same.

I actually prefer Warning and American Idiot to Dookie and Insomniac but that's just me. Agree with you about Offspring though. Even Americana seemed to be trying to capture that old Smash magic. The first half of the album was great but the last half wasn't great.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Text 1: Sorry your pick up order is delayed.

Text 2 sent 15 minutes later: You order is ready for pick up.

All sent before the original time given (2pm). Weird.

SKINNER!

Banned
What tattoo?

It was him going from a fairly sexy intense mysterious alcoholic to being a hippie dad. That and girls.

Another video to add to your youtube list for when you get home.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEqj68woTwA

Americana seemed to be trying to capture that old Smash magic. The first half of the album was great but the last half wasn't great.

da fuq? Excluding "Why Don't You Get a Job" every song from "She's got issues" onwards is great. "Pay the Man" alone is worth listening to the entire album.

Gotta love Kyuss. This'll be for you then :)

You may also enjoy RED FANG.

Can't listen to stuff in work but I'll be sure to listen later!

I actually prefer Warning and American Idiot to Dookie and Insomniac but that's just me. Agree with you about Offspring though. Even Americana seemed to be trying to capture that old Smash magic. The first half of the album was great but the last half wasn't great.

Nah it may be a nostalgia thing but Kerplunk, Dookie, Insomniac and Nimrod and so fucking awesome it almost hurts.Everything after that just seemed to be trying too hard.

Blink Me

Nah it may be a nostalgia thing but Kerplunk, Dookie, Insomniac and Nimrod and so fucking awesome it almost hurts.Everything after that just seemed to be trying too hard.

Kerplunk and Nimrod are awesome as well. I think my favourite song by them is 2000 Light Years Away.

Blink Me

da fuq? Excluding "Why Don't You Get a Job" every song from "She's got issues" onwards is great. "Pay the Man" alone is worth listening to the entire album.

Woops forgot to reply to this above. That's fair enough man I think its just because I love the Kids Aren't Alright so much that everything after that doesn't seem as good. It was the very first pop-punk album I ever listened to as a kid though. Good times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom