• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT4| - "Our Only Goal In Life Is To Become As Alpha As Possible"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blink Me

OK, so a last-minute late-night/semi-drunk post, copied from the OKCupid thread.

I thought it was going really well with this one girl, we'd been messaging back and forth all day and I was quite enjoying the conversation, but it turns out she hadn't read my profile, and only judged me based on looks, which I guess is something of a compliment as she stuck around to talk to me. Her last message to me was something along the lines of she only just read my profile and she can't believe how arrogant I am, and she can't be involved with someone who's ego is bigger than they are and that there's isn't enough room in any potential relationship for her, myself and my ego. It kinda cut deep, and bothered me a lot more it should've done.

I'm not even arrogant or egotistical. Stupid bitch.

Are there many girls in your area on okcupid? There's hardly any where I live and most of the ones who are on aren't great. I got 2 dates off of POF so far which is good. I find that a lot of the girls on there change their mind really quick. One girl wanted to meet up with me but then said she wasn't free for a month. Then when I asked for her number she just stopped replying. You've just got to not take it personally and have fun with it.

AcridMeat

Banned
The guy to the left of dapperbandit looks as if he's eaten human flesh.

--

Oooh, Leftfield. I think I preferred Leftism over Rhythm & Stealth but they're both great albums.

Both of these bring back fond memories of blowing clubs up, Leftfield had a sound that wasn't really heard outside of Hardfloor's crazy acid meltdown abuse and was a revelation.

Leftfield - Song of Life (Underworld Steppin' Razor remix) : www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV9-PNX_Qq4

Leftfield - Not Forgotten (Hand Hands Remix) : www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCuwxDSFafM

Also, both Original : www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoW9OKTuSMc (ft. Toni Halliday) and Afro Left : www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WlTlfTng3M (demented vocalisations also featured on one of the Wipeout games) are on that one.

And I've got to mention Chris Cunningham's Africa Shox video, I especially love the "Do you need a hand?" line. : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJWOVJuhlAM

I think I've got a hankering for loads of prog house now.
Major tunes. Thanks for those remixes.
We've all seen Rubber Johnny, right?

Hang on, that reads back a lot creepier than when I wrote it...
I mean, the actual thing is pretty creepy on its own. In fact, rubber johnny sounds way less creepy when not referring to that music video.

SuperSah

Banned
Today I return to North for a weekend back with friends.

Man, it's been a long time coming, that's for sure, but returning home for a weekend will be great. :)

Symphonia

Banned
It currently reads like the delusions of a mentalist.
Then I'm just being myself, amiryte?

DetectiveGAF never ceases to amaze me.

Are there many girls in your area on okcupid? There's hardly any where I live and most of the ones who are on aren't great. I got 2 dates off of POF so far which is good. I find that a lot of the girls on there change their mind really quick. One girl wanted to meet up with me but then said she wasn't free for a month. Then when I asked for her number she just stopped replying. You've just got to not take it personally and have fun with it.
There's a fair few from the city itself, not so many on the outskirts like me. I've had more luck on POF than I have on OKCupid. There was one girl from my town on POF who I had several successful dates with but, as were both busy with working towards promotions at our jobs, we found less and less time for one another. We still talk, though.

Say whaaaaaa? Drunk Musha is awesome fun. Or wait... does this mean that your sperm hoarding has paid off??

Drunk Musha is a liability, a menace, cannot control her actions and ends up inflicting pain, mess and embarrassment on herself and others.

And no, not yet, but hopefully soon :)

Blink Me

There's a fair few from the city itself, not so many on the outskirts like me. I've had more luck on POF than I have on OKCupid. There was one girl from my town on POF who I had several successful dates with but, as were both busy with working towards promotions at our jobs, we found less and less time for one another. We still talk, though.

I think POF is the more popular one in the UK at least. Do the girls in your area all love guys with tattoos and "banter" or is that just an East Anglian thing.

NinjaBoiX

We've all seen Rubber Johnny, right?

Hang on, that reads back a lot creepier than when I wrote it...
h5fyQMb.jpg

DetectiveGAF never ceases to amaze me.
DetectiveGAF creeps me out!

Symphonia

Banned
I think POF is the more popular one in the UK at least. Do the girls in your area all love guys with tattoos and "banter" or is that just an East Anglian thing.
It's a bit mixed but an amazing amount of them have been 'fucked over and are tired for falling for the wrong guy' and 'just want to find happiness in Mr Right's arms' - I swear they all copy and paste from one another. I've noticed a fair few of them have the typical inked, pierced guy in mind, though.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I mean, the actual thing is pretty creepy on its own. In fact, rubber johnny sounds way less creepy when not referring to that music video.

That's a good point. I have to admit, I get a perverse thrill out of chucking it in random music selections for people I meet at work (high turnover, lots of friendly temps). It become a great test of character.

She's listening to Aphex Twin alright.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Drunk Musha is a liability, a menace, cannot control her actions and ends up inflicting pain, mess and embarrassment on herself and others.

And no, not yet, but hopefully soon :)

:)

I'm also off the drink too. I used to drink and take drugs way way way too much and messed myself up really badly for a few year's afterwards. Not taken drugs for a long long long time now and while I still have the odd drink at Christmas or birthdays etc I've not been properly drunk for years.

jimbor

Banned

I'm also off the drink too. I used to drink and take drugs way way way too much and messed myself up really badly for a few year's afterwards. Not taken drugs for a long long long time now and while I still have the odd drink at Christmas or birthdays etc I've not been properly drunk for years.

Winners don't quit.

SmokyDave

Dating is easy. Listen more than you speak. Be funny when you do speak. Project confidence. Pick up on little details and remember them for later. Use these details to form 'in-jokes' or appear interested in the other person. Maintain cheeky eye contact, but don't stare like a freak. Easy.

I haven't had a drink since 1am this morning and I probably won't have another until at least 5-10 minutes after I get home from work. I'm the model of sobriety.

Phisheep is the man.

That concludes my roundup.

Mornin' all.

Sounds like a lot of people here are packing in the booze.
I've had a weird relationship with alcohol. It was far too easy to get completely wrecked on it from the ages of 16 to 19. I realized then I was going a little overboard sometimes and decided to stop. I used to be massively in hardcore punk & the straight edge scene & at the time I didn't smoke or take drugs, so it became something I naturally progressed into my lifestyle.

Stayed that way for about two years. Still retaining my social life & going out, but in the end felt that it was something I had conquered in terms of self control. A lot of my old friends aren't straight edge either anymore, after maybe 7 years of knowing them. I think it's something you subscribe to quite easily when you're young and into the music & at the time it feels like you're doing your health a favour. I became straight edge for all the right reasons going into it, but looking back now, I knew it wasn't going to be something I lived by til death. People change, but I admire & respect anyone who does live by those morals (if they aren't all preachy and shit).

Nowadays, I like to drink, It's something I actually enjoy (spiced rum I love you) and something I mostly have much better control over (I think I was sick once in the last 2-3 years). I'll never smoke ciggies though, I'm fine if you do that, even around me, but no thanks.

I stopped smoking weed pretty much when I moved to London, years of that shit has totally fucked my short term memory. I've had the occasional spliff since but very few and far between.

Drink is my main vice now. I don't drink very often, but when I do I go all out. I'm stopping for a good while now I think.

Blink Me

It's a bit mixed but an amazing amount of them have been 'fucked over and are tired for falling for the wrong guy' and 'just want to find happiness in Mr Right's arms' - I swear they all copy and paste from one another. I've noticed a fair few of them have the typical inked, pierced guy in mind, though.

I can imagine all the messages the girls who apparently got fucked over get from "nice guys". Although at least there's a 5% effort put into their profile compared to the people who write "ask me anything". I think I usually ask them what their favourite Jellybean is. With regards to drinking I didn't start drinking till I was 21. I think my mates regret convincing me to drink though.

I stopped smoking weed pretty much when I moved to London, years of that shit has totally fucked my short term memory. I've had the occasional spliff since but very few and far between.

Drink is my main vice now. I don't drink very often, but when I do I go all out. I'm stopping for a good while now I think.

I seem to only smoke weed after I've been drinking in a social scenario, like social smokers.
It doesn't really interest me enough.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
Mornin' all.

Sounds like a lot of people here are packing in the booze
I've had a weird relationship with alcohol. It was far too easy to get completely wrecked on it from the ages of 16 to 19. I realized then I was going a little overboard sometimes and decided to stop. I used to be massively in hardcore punk & the straight edge scene & at the time I didn't smoke or take drugs, so it became something I naturally progressed into my lifestyle.

Stayed that way for about two years. Still retaining my social life & going out, but in the end felt that it was something I had conquered in terms of self control. A lot of my old friends aren't straight edge either anymore, after maybe 7 years of knowing them. I think it's something you subscribe to quite easily when you're young and into the music & at the time it feels like you're doing your health a favour. I became straight edge for all the right reasons going into it, but looking back now, I knew it wasn't going to be something I lived by til death. People change, but I admire & respect anyone who does live by those morals (if they aren't all preachy and shit).

Nowadays, I like to drink, It's something I actually enjoy (spiced rum I love you) and something I mostly have much better control over (I think I was sick once in the last 2-3 years). I'll never smoke ciggies though, I'm fine if you do that, even around me, but no thanks.
Frankly I'm disgusted

SKINNER!

Banned
In 13 days i will start being a manager...

In 13 days I can finally get a tab going at tescos and never have to pay for it. mwahahahaha.

Congrats :D Managing your own foot soldiers in a Tescos does sound daunting but certainly the skills you acquire will be beneficial in the long run. Remember, employees always bang in the fridges whenever the oppurtunity arises so check in there every now and then.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
The thing with Aphex Twin is, when he wants to be all delicate and shit, he's brilliant at it. This b-side from Windowlicker is gorgeous, I love the wind-up music box style:

Aphex Twin - Nannou

Far as I'm concerned, he's a genuine musical genius. Nannou is great. Used to be my alarm tone! Speaking of delicate AFX here's Flim, from the inimitable Come to Daddy EP. Oh wait, it isn't inimitable... here's Dillinger Escape Plan's live action cover of Come to Daddy (with Mike Patton on vocals, I believe...). Dat drummery.

Oh, and 8bit: Imma check that track out at lunch. I don't think I've heard that EP before, so I'm as excited as a Japanese schoolgirl. It better be brutal and/or insane! *shakes fist threateningly*

SteveWD40

In 13 days I can finally get a tab going at tescos and never have to pay for it. mwahahahaha.

Congrats :D Managing your own foot soldiers in a Tescos does sound daunting but certainly the skills you acquire will be beneficial in the long run. Remember, employees always bang in the fridges whenever the oppurtunity arises so set up a webcam asap and send us the link to the livefeed.

ftfy

2W7rhDc.gif

Mikeside

Congrats :D Managing your own foot soldiers in a Tescos does sound daunting but certainly the skills you acquire will be beneficial in the long run. Remember, employees always bang in the fridges whenever the oppurtunity arises so check in there every now and then.

I always wanted to do this when I worked at Tesco.

In other news - got a day back at the office today instead of being on-site again. Man this drags. I forgot how boring my job is when I'm not out and about.

Luckily it's not a full day here, I'm off to Reading later to install some graphics cards. Menial work but the girls there are awesome and I'm pretty sure it's one of their birthdays today so...y'know, free cake.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider

Yup. It absolutely destroys your memory.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Mornin' all.

I miss smoking. I f'ing loved it. :-(

Mikeside

Mornin' all.

You're good people, let's hang out all the time.

NinjaBoiX

Far as I'm concerned, he's a genuine musical genius. Nannou is great. Used to be my alarm tone! Speaking of delicate AFX here's Flim, from the inimitable Come to Daddy EP. Oh wait, it isn't inimitable... here's Dillinger Escape Plan's live action cover of Come to Daddy (with Mike Patton on vocals, I believe...). Dat drummery.
Ooh, phat drums? You know me well Meat! I'll listen on the stereo when I get home, I have a feeling my wee little phone won't do it justice.

And don't get me started on Aphex Twin's ambient stuff, I adore it, Flim is ridiculously gorgeous. That melody is like the most perfect lullaby.

Plus, Pats' autistic brother absolutely loves it. "Put that song on that goes *sings melody really badly*. Now put it on again." Whenever he comes round it's on at least three times. I keep telling him what it's called so we aren't subjected to his tone deaf caterwauling every time he wants us to put it on!

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Ooh, phat drums? You know me well Meat! I'll listen on the stereo when I get home, I have a feeling my wee little phone won't do it justice.

No so much "phat", more "a human being played that?!"

Hmmm. I'll have a look at home and see if I can't pull out some plump-ass drummage for ye weekend's revelry

And don't get me started on Aphex Twin's ambient stuff, I adore it, Flim is ridiculously gorgeous. That melody is like the most perfect lullaby.

Plus, Pats' autistic brother absolutely loves it. "Put that song on that goes *sings melody really badly*. Now put it on again." Whenever he comes round it's on at least three times. I keep telling him what it's called so we aren't subjected to his tone deaf caterwauling every time he wants us to put it on!

D'awww. Guy's got great taste!

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Oh and to those who recommended the Portlandia clip. Thanks, it made me chuckle. And also remember that he's actually still quite hot.

Mikeside

It was pretty much all I asked for when I went back home for Christmas haha. I have a big bottle for this weekend for when my friend gets back from Texas.

What rums do you go for?
I've pretty much only tried Morgan's Spiced Gold and Kraken. Both lovely, but I think I prefer Morgan's. Definitely looking to expand my alcohol-horizons

Oh and to those who recommended the Portlandia clip. Thanks, it made me chuckle. And also remember that he's actually still quite hot.

I'm glad you like it - Portlandia is one of those shows that's rarely side-splittingly funny, but constantly has a huge grin on my face. I can't think of another non-UK show that's got so much charm either.

Plus dat Carrie Brownstein.

What rums do you go for?
I've pretty much only tried Morgan's Spiced Gold and Kraken. Both lovely, but I think I prefer Morgan's. Definitely looking to expand my alcohol-horizons.

Morgan's Spiced is by far and away my favourite. Though occasionally Sailor Jerry's is nice.
I also am partial to Havana Club 7 rum at a bar if all else fails. I do need to try Kraken though! My brother was telling me about how nice that is.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
What rums do you go for?
I've pretty much only tried Morgan's Spiced Gold and Kraken. Both lovely, but I think I prefer Morgan's. Definitely looking to expand my alcohol-horizons

I'm glad you like it - Portlandia is one of those shows that's rarely side-splittingly funny, but constantly has a huge grin on my face. I can't think of another non-UK show that's got so much charm either.

Plus dat Carrie Brownstein.

One day I will watch this show. Between you and Johnny it comes highly recommended from seemingly sound sources.

IMO the funniest thing on TV right now (not our TV though) is the American series of Impractical Jokers. Do yourselves a favour and try to lay hands on it. It is genuinely howl-out-loud hilarious and at least 1000% better than the piss weak UK version.

Mikeside

Morgan's Spiced is by far and away my favourite. Though occasionally Sailor Jerry's is nice.
I also am partial to Havana Club 7 rum at a bar if all else fails. I do need to try Kraken though! My brother was telling me about how nice that is.

Thanks, I'll give Jerry's and Havana a go. That goddam Morgan's though... #soyum

One day I will watch this show. Between you and Johnny it comes highly recommended from seemingly sound sources.

IMO the funniest thing on TV right now (not our TV though) is the American series of Impractical Jokers. Do yourselves a favour and try to lay hands on it. It is genuinely howl-out-loud hilarious and at least 1000% better than the piss weak UK version.

SEEMINGLY sound?
Fuck you, blud.

I think you'll really like it. It's a quirky sketch show that I can't believe exists - it's a strong reflection of the human condition through the eyes of these two people who have a really piercing way of looking at people.

I'm trying so hard to get Kev into it, but it just makes him uncomfortable.

In other news Jimbor has successfully got me into Always Sunny. Finishing S1 tonight & I hear it just gets better from here on out.

I think I might be the first recorded case of someone dying of boredom.

Don't worry, this has happened to me a few times - The lucky thing about dying of boredom is that you get better, somehow.

Thanks, I'll give Jerry's and Havana a go. That goddam Morgan's though... #soyum

If you like Morgan's, you'll like Sailor Jerry's fo sho. Havana is not a spiced rum, but it's very smooth and equally yum. Barcardi Gold is another decent standard rum & vanilla-infused Mount Gay rum is great, but expensive. I used to be a bartender, so I was lucky enough to 'sample' all these variations.

Also quick question BritGAF. I've entered a remix contest on this pretty big site called Indaba Music, where they provide the audio stems from some big artists, which in turn provide rewards to the winners & royalties. My remix is doing pretty well at the moment, actually in with a shot of winning, but I wanted to promote it on Gaf to get a bit more exposure.

Public voting is opened on the 13th, though I would be grateful even just for the plays (since there is some Facebook bullshit you have to sign in with). How would I go about making a thread without it looking just like shameless self-promotion? (Which it is in the end). I'm sort of against doing that, I mean it might attract some other budding music makers, since there are opportunities for them to get involved with making remixes through the site..but mehhh.

I'd rather ask somewhere first over if it's a decent idea, rather than making myself look like a pleb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom