• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT4| - "Our Only Goal In Life Is To Become As Alpha As Possible"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Nah you misunderstood, Mike.

As someone who is still learning aka involved in education, you should know you don't have to "go to uni" to get an education. This is the exact attitude that really hurts people in the long run. They think having an education means following the traditional school tract which obviously doesn't work for everyone. It's really about being committed to learning whether you to to uni, college, trade school, self study or get involved with an apprenticeship.

The important part is: Don't give up on learning just because you don't mesh with the traditional path.

Jordan

As somebody that didn't go to uni, that's not quite true.
Sure, I'm not on great wages right now, but I'm doing an IT job that's giving me training that should put me on a pretty OK wage within the next couple of years.
There are plenty of options outside of sticking in education.

Not that uni isn't awesome, I wish I'd gone - there was just nothing I cared enough about to DO there.

I didn't go to university, and I'm am averaging what older people in my role or similar roles are paid.

I didn't want to go to uni, I didn't want the debt. All my friends who went uni, spent three years there and are now on jobs that pay 5/6k less than mine? No work experience, just a bit of paper that says you were either intelligent enough to pass or lucky enough to pass. I was chosen over a grad student because I had more experience... fuck what a bit of paper says, that only shows knowledge, doesn't show that it's been used in a work environment.

NinjaBoiX

As somebody that didn't go to uni, that's not quite true.
I gotta agree with Mike here.

Middling GCSE's, 3 B's, a few C's and D's, no further education, I ended up with an apprenticeship with a housing firm as an electrician. Granted I had a string of menial, dead end jobs at pubs and call centres prior to that, but I'm so fucking glad the opportunity came along.

Getting paid to learn a trade? It's the best thing I ever did.

Edit: Ah, OK JB, it wasn't specifically uni you were referring to. Yeah, there is a hell of a lot of book learning, maths and science involved. It was a tough 4 years, no doubt.

Mikeside

Nah you misunderstood, Mike.

As someone who is still learning aka involved in education, you should know you don't have to "go to uni" to get an education. This is the exact attitude that really hurts people in the long run. They think having an education means following the traditional school tract which obviously doesn't work for everyone. It's really about being committed to learning whether you to to uni, college, trade school, self study or get involved with an apprenticeship.

The important part is: Don't give up on learning just because you don't mesh with the traditional path.

Yep, I misunderstood.
Totally agree with you - I can't imagine I'll ever be out of education if we're going to be inclusive of on-the-job courses, etc. If I'm not learning at my job in the future, I'll probably sign up for an Open U course. Would hate to go a year without learning anything important or useful (or even just interesting I guess).

Volotaire

Anyone who's going to university just for employment opportunities is just a plank.

Do not agree at all. A lot of job opportunities within the investment banking sector, and law within the front and middle offices require degree qualifications.

Of course, don't do a degree if you don't enjoy your course. I love what I am about to study.

But there are plenty of internship opportunities within university with a lot of potential to come out with graduate jobs that have high starting salaries.

afoni

Banned
Do not agree at all. A lot of job opportunities within the investment banking sector, and law within the front and middle offices require degree qualifications.

Of course, don't do a degree if you don't enjoy your course. I love what I am about to study.

But there are plenty of internship opportunities within university with a lot of potential to come out with graduate jobs.

I think you misunderstood me.

Anyone who's going to university just for employment opportunities is just a plank.

Volotaire

I think you misunderstood me.

Still disagree partly. Some guys are really motivated by their career choice, which is needed through a particular degree/university. I know one guy who couldn't care less about what they are studying, they're in it for the job afterwards.

Scratch that, that one guy is an idiot :)

EDIT 2: Disagree again sorry. A would be student who wants to study medicine will be going to university just for the qualifications.

TCRS

Banned

But there are plenty of internship opportunities within university with a lot of potential to come out with graduate jobs that have high starting salaries.

said every fucking student at my mechanical engineering course. most of them didn't make it through year 1 haha. But I agree with both of you, some jobs require degrees, others not. You don't HAVE to go to uni, that's a mistake too many people make in this country.

Got great GCSE results. Failed all my A-levels. Dropped out of college. Spent 4 years in a call centre.

Moved to London, got a proper job, over the last 7 years have learned on the job and worked my way up and I'm now on more than double what I earned when I moved here.

Studying was clearly not for me.

Jordan

I got a D in IT, A* in the exam, U in the coursework.
I got a B in English Language.
I got a C in Maths and English Literature
I got a D in the rest of my courses (History, Graphic Design and Drama)

Every single member of staff I spoke to after finding out my IT results told me to give up my idea of working on computers, my knowledge clearly wasn't good enough (I went to a school where nobody actually cared about you apart from the odd teacher) they told me to go to college and learn more about IT or another subject that interested me, sat me down - talked to me about all these fancy courses that would be much more suited to me... I signed up to an IT course and the day before starting I decided I didn't want to be taught any more, because what I was being taught was utter bollocks and wouldn't ever be helpful to me. I had done private IT work before, I knew hardware, networking, a bit of software.

Found an advert in the paper about an apprenticeship as an IT Practitioner, called up and spoke to a really smoking hot red head by the name of Felicity and I was sold... I wanted to work in IT. Unfortunately, engaged so I quit that there, but the course was fun and I got to flirt with her quite a bit. Ended up working in a school, didn't learn anything at my first placement, second placement I was over privileged and got to play with shiny stuff - just glad no more schools.

SuperSah

Banned
Gonna aim for A's in my A-Levels.

I didn't do amazing in GCSE, but i'll go for it. Last year in AS I got some A's in Law, so should be simple this year since new college means i'm sitting through a year i've already done. :lol

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
kentpaul living the life. just imagine, all the vidyas in the world, no worries about food or cash.

yeah I can see myself doing that.

I do still need to take care of the internet bill though. I was working for years then hit a slump of depression due to asshole co-workers. So it quit. Its took me a good month to get back to my old self. Its so much better working with the easy going guys on my payback order. Some decent guys i wouldn't mind working with in a paying job down the line.

life goes at its own pace though so i just take one day at a time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2kcEBE05lk&list=FLpZ6zSJJ5oImW3lKfKrjSrg&feature=mh_lolz

Wow, a lot of interesting opinions about education in the thread. I did an okay Leaving Cert (got 400 points out of a possible 600), went to uni to do something I had no real interest in as a career (literature/teaching). I didn't want to do it as I wanted something IT or games related, but my brother (who is a bit of a weasel about these things) insisted I go teaching because I was somehow suited to it. Didn't enjoy the experience (too few hours in the day, which meant too much time mostly for CS:S and WoW) and dropped out after two years. Went home, started treatment for various mental illnesses (which I'm still in) and spent a lot of time at home, miserable.

Spent a year basically doing work experience at a computer repair shop and the county library, had a great time. Did a FETAC course (basically the Irish equivalent of community college) last year and really enjoyed it. It's always been difficult to make friends and just have small talk with people, and the last two years have really helped me with that. Starting at WIT in a few weeks as a "mature student".

I suppose I have a weird attitude to education. I really want to be qualified at something I enjoy. I'll be nearly 30 by the time I graduate and I'd rather be working, but I also don't want to live and work in Ireland and I feel I'd have a better chance of that with the bit of paper. I love my country but it is irretrievably broken, I want to see another way of life at some point.

Also, Kentpaul's autobiography would be the 21st century equivalent to Ulysses.

GCSE I got 2 B's and 8 A's. How I went from that to a U and 2 N's at A-level........ well what can I say, it's a skill. Extreme truanting and partying.

Mikeside

I got mostly Bs and Cs at GCSE (with a D in French)

AS levels I got A in English Language, A in Computing, B in Media Studies and I dropped out of my GovPolitics class because the teacher was constantly late & we didn't learn a thing.

A levels - That year a girl joined the 6th form in the year below me & we had a long, dramatic relationship which pretty much ate up my whole year (and the next one)

I got a D in English Language, a D in Media Studies and I got kicked out of the Computing class for calling my teacher a condescending fuckjar

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Computing A

English 4

Maths foundation FAIL

History 3

Modern studies 3

Biology 5

Ninja done the best thing by getting a trade. He's on the front line of chilling in the work van and fixing light switches every now and then.

xist

Ultimately formal education means nothing in later life (aside from professional qualifications) except as a means to discipline your mind with respect to learning new concepts and meeting deadlines.

I did averagely in my GCSE's, well in my A levels, 2:1'd a Biology degree from Kings and then got a 1st in a professional qualification and i'm still a massive screwup because i lost track of what life actually meant and wasted every moment until last week. At that moment i realised remedial action was needed and i'm starting over. I feel terrible now but at least i'm out of the sleepwalking drift.

It's far more important to realise where you want to go and work hard to get there rather than immerse yourself in learning things that don't actually help you achieve that goal.

But aren't they the same points? Unless you had to get a B in whatever you got a C in.

The offer was based on specific grades, not UCAS points. I called up the university of course, but there was nothing I could do- every spot was oversubscribed.
In retrospect I wish I'd taken a year out at that point, retook some modules and bumped the physics up to a B, plus some got a little work experience under my belt. Unfortunately my parents wouldn't have it that way.

Oh and for anyone who happens to be picking A-levels soon- if you might remotely need A-level maths for your degree, then bloody do it. So many universities wouldn't even give me a look in for Economics without it.

All A's and B's for my GCSEs. They were a piece of piss. AS year caught me by surprise though, ended up with ACCD. Took a LOT of work in A-2 year to get what I ended up with.
I still don't agree though with the school system pushing so many towards university, and completely ignoring other avenues of gaining qualifications. What was Labour's target? 50% of all young people going? Based on what exactly?

f0rk

Still disagree partly. Some guys are really motivated by their career choice, which is needed through a particular degree/university. I know one guy who couldn't care less about what they are studying, they're in it for the job afterwards.

Scratch that, that one guy is an idiot :)

EDIT 2: Disagree again sorry. A would be student who wants to study medicine will be going to university just for the qualifications.

They are still (hopefully) going to have some sort of interest in whatever they are studying though. I mean it would take a very naive person to think 'just 3 years of this biology shit then I can do medicine where the real fun begins!' Same with law or banking or whatever, you'd have to be very dumb to expect the 3 years at university to be awful but the actual job would be super happy fun times.

bumped the physics up to a B
Oh Physics is bullshit all the cool people get Cs there.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
kent are you okay after that game, scottish guy in the pub tonight... he was..not pleased

tumblr_mj5wt6Xqef1rbijzso1_500.gif

afoni

Banned
I wish I was in the mood to reference IT Crowd, man. I really do. But cynic mode has been engaged and I'm in complete "fuck everything" mode until I clear my head with spirits tomorrow.

Vashetti

Banned
Little late but w/e:

GCSE:
Sociology - A*
Psychology - A
English - B
Maths - C
Human Health & Physiology - C

A-Level/Access Course:

Sociology - Distinction
Psychology - Distinction
Criminology - Distinction
Creative Writing/Literary Studies - Distinction

Undergraduate degree:

Just failed my first year :(

Okay so tomorrow at that time I'll be on Fulham road getting drunk on mojitos.

But I have a final question for my trip, regarding alcohol and the law in England: do you have the right to stay in a park and have drinks? Do you have to "hide" them in bags like we see in US movies/series? Or can you enjoy it without any problem? Here in France we can, as long as you don't disturb anything/anyone.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

But I have a final question for my trip, regarding alcohol and the law in England: do you have the right to stay in a park and have drinks? Do you have to "hide" them in bags like we see in US movies/series? Or can you enjoy it without any problem? Here in France we can, as long as you don't disturb anything/anyone.
Most parks allow you to drink alcohol, but other public areas can be iffy. No need for bags.

Rubbish King

Little late but w/e:

GCSE:
Sociology - A*
Psychology - A
English - B
Maths - C
Human Health & Physiology - C

A-Level/Access Course:

Sociology - Distinction
Psychology - Distinction
Criminology - Distinction
Creative Writing/Literary Studies - Distinction

Undergraduate degree:

Just failed my first year :(
sociology at GCSE? Wish i couldve done that
I wish I was in the mood to reference IT Crowd, man. I really do. But cynic mode has been engaged and I'm in complete "fuck everything" mode until I clear my head with spirits tomorrow.
cheer the fuck up pal, perhaps drop me a pm/facebook message
It was a great match regardless of the end result.
I don't follow football but found it pretty exciting, I found myself biting my finger nails and such.
True, the only reason I watched it was because I was working, but it was good

Rubbish King

As long as there isnt a sign specifically prohibiting the consumption of alcohol you're good, you can walk down a busy highstreet chugging a bottle of vodka and no fucks given. That being said if you are drinking in a park, don't be a dick and throw your rubbish in a bin ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom