• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT5| Superb Birds, Absurd Turds and Disturbed Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokyDave

A post from you is never pointless Dave.

Baby due soon innit?
Ah, you're too kind :)

She's coming on full steam. Due date is middle of March. I'm so fucking excited!

We're champing at the bit for her to arrive. We're not ready, but we're ready to find out why we're not ready. Plus, I get 2 extra presents a year from here onwards. Wedding anniversary and Father's Day. Nice.

Pretty sure that got closed because you accidentally spilled Nintendo's big E3 reveal.

Mikeside

Hey Mike since you're around could you put my birthday in the OP? It's 11th May.

Will do mate, I'll be updating birthdays over the weekend :) you're not forgotten!

Continuing last night's theme of headsick and rage, feeling pretty glum this morning. Tired and a bit headachy anyway but I think what's really pissed me off and got me thinking is this social obligation we've got to go to tomorrow.

Basically, got these folks we used to be very tight friends with, saw them multiple times a week and all that. The guy in the couple used to be the drummer in my band, but he flaked out for pretty lame medical reasons a couple of years back which put a pretty big tear in the friendship. The girl in the couple is technically my wife's 'best friend' but in the past year we've maybe seen them 4 times, mostly on birthdays. They live mayyyyyyyybe 10 mins walk from my house, moved house in September and we've still not been invited over to hang out.

Frankly, it's fairly obvious that neither of us gives two shits about the other any more. If we cared enough we would have got in touch ourselves, but our lives have been fun and full of great stuff this year. These people, while nice company, are fucking boring people and do nothing with their lives. The guy is super talented but depressive and so does nothing (making me feel a bit guilty for having done lots of things lately) and the girl - if you ask her "how have you been?" will tell you about her shitty job for an hour.

So, yesterday we get a text from her - it's her birthday, do we want to go out for a meal and drinks on saturday? Well actually, no. Because it's January and I'm skint and you gave us a couple days notice and frankly I don't give two shits. Friends you only see on your birthday are not good friends. And frankly, now the relationship has dropped this far I don't even want to see them on my birthday any more. Needless to say, Mrs say we should go because it will be nice. Was suggested if we can't afford the meal then we should go for drinks which sounds even worse - wait for a call about 10 to say where they are? Meet up with folks on an entirely different energy level at that time of the night? No.

So yeah, I'm fed up with this shit. Needed to brain dump. Need new friends :p

That really sucks dude, I've been going through a similar thing with my local friends over the past year or so. You just grow apart from people which is great in that it makes room in your life for new, better friends, even if it does suck at the same time.
Hit me up whenever you want to hang out and Ill pop over or we can go out - always cool to see the Snivs!

Ah, you're too kind :)

She's coming on full steam. Due date is middle of March. I'm so fucking excited!

We're champing at the bit for her to arrive. We're not ready, but we're ready to find out why we're not ready. Plus, I get 2 extra presents a year from here onwards. Wedding anniversary and Father's Day. Nice.

Oooh I wonder if she'll arrive on Andy's birthday?

Although having your baby girl born on steak and a blow job day might not be the best idea.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Will do mate, I'll be updating birthdays over the weekend :) you're not forgotten!

That really sucks dude, I've been going through a similar thing with my local friends over the past year or so. You just grow apart from people which is great in that it makes room in your life for new, better friends, even if it does suck at the same time.
Hit me up whenever you want to hang out and Ill pop over or we can go out - always cool to see the Snivs!

Yeah man will do. Def have to hit up a pub come payday :)

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Got back from the physio and they say my meniscus might be busted. No roller derby for me for awhile. :S

Derby injury too? Shit is fuckin deadly, mrs came home on wednesday with a swollen lip and a mahoosive bruise on her arse, she can barely walk these past couple of days. It's hilarious.

Derby injury too? Shit is fuckin deadly, mrs came home on wednesday with a swollen lip and a mahoosive bruise on her arse, she can barely walk these past couple of days. It's hilarious.

Oh no! That sucks dude :( hope you recover soon

Yeah, derby fo sho and that was about 2 1/2 months ago. I can take a beating, but my knee decided it won't have that shit any more. xD Here's to hoping I can make it back quick, but I'm just going to have to play it safe for ages. Doc was saying if I don't truly rest it, this is going to bother me for the rest of my life. Yay!

My mate from Guilford broke her leg

Fack, that's the worst. :(

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
My weekend is hanging in the balance.

We were going to go and see 12 Years a Slave and Wolf of Wall Street. I was really excited.

Now it looks like I might - might - have to work right through.

I was looking forward to being able to veg out in front of the PS4 tonight too.

Harumph.

theaface

Very good day so far. Finally managed to resolve my car insurance issue; the other party admitted liability, so a cheque for my £300 excess is on its way and my no claims remains in tact. You can see from my original post here that it was causing me some mild stress!

On top of that it's Friday, pay day, and my Rocksmith + guitar bundle should arrive today or tomorrow. :)

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Very good day so far. Finally managed to resolve my car insurance issue; the other party admitted liability, so a cheque for my £300 excess is on its way and my no claims remains in tact. You can see from my original post here that it was causing me some mild stress!

On top of that it's Friday, pay day, and my Rocksmith + guitar bundle should arrive today or tomorrow. :)

Is that the programme that teaches you how to play an instrument?

Well done on sorting out the insurance. It's always nice when you can tick something off the list.

Tally ho!

When is your birthday: July 20th
Where do you live: Nottingham (we have all of the UK's traffic cones right now)
Where are you from: Essex
What do you do: Tech Support, surf the internet, read GAF
What is your quest: To get Alan Sugar on Bake-Off and Mary Berry running Amstrad
Favourite actor/actress: Jason Statham
Favourite band/artist: Not the sodding Smiths
Favourite TV show: Anything about people on benefits
Favourite crisps: Scampi Fries (for the connoisseur)
Favourite biscuit: Chocolate Digestive
Least favourite Pokémon: Miyamoto
Stalactites or stalagmites: I know this one. It's.. er.. concave. No! ConVEX! .. No.. bugger!
How do you cut your sandwiches: Horizontally, old skool

theaface

Is that the programme that teaches you how to play an instrument?

Well done on sorting out the insurance. It's always nice when you can tick something off the list.

It is indeed. Apparently it's actually very good, even for absolute beginners. I just figured it was high time I focused some of my energy into a productive hobby, not least in light of all the hours I used to put into Rock Band/Guitar Hero.

A bit excited/nervous to see how I get on with it, but I'll report back over the coming weeks and months on how big a virtuoso I've (not) become.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Schrödinger's cat;97439933 said:
Tally ho!

What is your quest: To get Alan Sugar on Bake-Off and Mary Berry running Amstrad
Stalactites or stalagmites: I know this one. It's.. er.. concave. No! ConVEX! .. No.. bugger!

Hello! People on benefits, eh?

Schrödinger's cat;97439933 said:
Tally ho!

Welcome! I like your fave actor choice. And your music.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
It is indeed. Apparently it's actually very good, even for absolute beginners. I just figured it was high time I focused some of my energy into a productive hobby, not least in light of all the hours I used to put into Rock Band/Guitar Hero.

A bit excited/nervous to see how I get on with it, but I'll report back over the coming weeks and months on how big a virtuoso I've (not) become.

I know the feeling. I go mad if I can't express creativity and I feel like I'm wasting my life when I don't. Be excited not nervous - there's no magic to the guitar, you just need to get your finger muscles and muscle memory used to doing something unnatural. good luck - and write all your songs as soon as you learn your first chords and riffs. I started when I was about 12 - my parents are both musicians and I had to do something - and the simple stuff I figured out then was better than all the fancy stuff that came later. I feel it was important to share this with you. God speed.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Schrödinger's cat;97440392 said:
Benefits Street.

Program of the year!

Ahh!

I was thinking Jeremy Kyle. But then I thought oh no he/she might be a Richard Littlejohn nutter so I need to find that out in order to take the p. But it seems you're not. So I have nothing to add apart from hello again!

Jeremy has his place.

Fun fact: this week I learned a colleague had been on Jeremy Kyle. Further questioning revealed that they were merely an audience member, sadly.

It turns out that there's a dress-code to follow if you're an audience member.

The mind boggles.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Schrödinger's cat;97441112 said:
Jeremy has his place.

Fun fact: this week I learned a colleague had been on Jeremy Kyle. Further questioning revealed that they were merely an audience member, sadly.

The mind boggles.

Eh?!

Like what?!? Maybe it's so the audience all look smart, you know, for contrast.

Schrödinger's cat;97441112 said:
Jeremy has his place.

The mind boggles.

Is it a tracksuit. Or a onesie. Or pyjamas. Or god forbid a shellsuit.

Again, the full detail is less interesting than the summary:

Not too much black, no spots, no stripes. TV cameras don't like it. <Insert Newcastle United joke here>.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
For the At The Drive-In fans: have you heard of Drive Like Jehu? They were a huge influence on the fromer band. Lead singer went on to form Hot Snakes who aren't quite as good, I don't think. Some fine choices from Yank Crime (not got the first album) are:

Drive Like Jehu - Luau

Drive Like Jehu - Super Unison

Drive Like Jehu - Here Comes The Rome Plows

My lunch time is up.

These are one of those bands that I've heard of for years but never heard. Will listen when I get near some speakers :)

theaface

I know the feeling. I go mad if I can't express creativity and I feel like I'm wasting my life when I don't. Be excited not nervous - there's no magic to the guitar, you just need to get your finger muscles and muscle memory used to doing something unnatural. good luck - and write all your songs as soon as you learn your first chords and riffs. I started when I was about 12 - my parents are both musicians and I had to do something - and the simple stuff I figured out then was better than all the fancy stuff that came later. I feel it was important to share this with you. God speed.

Thanks for the heads up and good wishes.

That's put a bit of a shitter on, well, everything. I'm jobless.

Sorry to hear it. What happened, if you don't mind my asking? Having not yet become a regular around these parts, I'm not too clued up on peoples' life circumstances.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Schrödinger's cat;97441628 said:
Again, the full detail is less interesting than the summary:

Not too much black, no spots, no stripes. TV cameras don't like it. <Insert Newcastle United joke here>.

Well, at least it doesn't say anything about swastikas.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider

Symphonia

Banned
Sorry to hear it. What happened, if you don't mind my asking? Having not yet become a regular around these parts, I'm not too clued up on peoples' life circumstances.
Management caught wind of the fact I'm looking for work elsewhere and they used that as a basis for dismissing me. Several other members of staff have complained about it, too, as they feel I shouldn't of been paid 'so much when I'm not remaining loyal to the company' - it's basically a load of corporate bullshit. I was planning on leaving, yeah, but I'd rather remain in work while I find another job to fall back into immediately. Bastards.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Management caught wind of the fact I'm looking for work elsewhere and they used that as a basis for dismissing me. Several other members of staff have complained about it, too, as they feel I shouldn't of been paid 'so much when I'm not remaining loyal to the company' - it's basically a load of corporate bullshit. I was planning on leaving, yeah, but I'd rather remain in work while I find another job to fall back into immediately. Bastards.

Holy shit - surely that's grounds for unfair dismissal? Having your options open should not be firable.

They cannot fire you simply for looking for another job. Unless you were in a probabtion period, or had previous disciplinaries.

Symphonia

Banned
Holy shit - surely that's grounds for unfair dismissal? Having your options open should not be firable.
I bought that up in the dismissal interview and they said I'd lied to the company when I said I'm in it for the long haul. Fact of the matter is, I was in for the long haul when I first started but the company began to rear it's ugly head over time and I changed my mind. I've been looking for another job for the past month or so and management see that as a 'betrayal of trust' to them. Again, their opinion - coupled with members of staff voicing their complaints - gave them reason to sack me. I've already been into three job agencies and handed in a CV. I don't hang about.

Mush, I had a disciplinary ages ago for being AWOL for two days. But that would not and should not affect this.

Jordan

That's put a bit of a shitter on, well, everything. I'm jobless.

1owl9rz.gif

Mikeside

I bought that up in the dismissal interview and they said I'd lied to the company when I said I'm in it for the long haul. Fact of the matter is, I was in for the long haul when I first started but the company began to rear it's ugly head over time and I changed my mind. I've been looking for another job for the past month or so and management see that as a 'betrayal of trust' to them. Again, their opinion - coupled with members of staff voicing their complaints - gave them reason to sack me. I've already been into three job agencies and handed in a CV. I don't hang about.

Mush, I had a disciplinary ages ago for being AWOL for two days. But that would not and should not affect this.

Sounds like you were looking on job sites whilst at work on a work computer? My company has fired people for the same thing. Not clever but you learn and you move on. Good luck with the job hunt man

Symphonia

Banned
Sounds like you were looking on job sites whilst at work on a work computer? My company has fired people for the same thing. Not clever but you learn and you move on. Good luck with the job hunt man
Actually, no, as all job agency websites are blocked at work but thanks for just assuming that, man, really helps soften the blow of being betrayed by people I considered to be my friends.

Oh, wait.

SKINNER!

Banned
I suppose looking for jobs at work while you're suppose to be working can get you fired but being fired just because you're keeping your options open is kinda silly

Mikeside

Actually, no, as all job agency websites are blocked at work but thanks for just assuming that, man, really helps soften the blow of being betrayed by people I considered to be my friends.

Oh, wait.

Oh wait, I'm the person not being a dick to you and offering sympathy.

Fuck it, you're on your own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom