• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Ghosts |OT| http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jF9GBR3B0LE

Iwanttoseethereceipts.gif

*Raises hand*.
Some People Just Want Campaign
“Who plays these games for single player?” is the common war cry when games like Medal Of Honor: Warfighter, Homefront and so on limp past review stage with less than impressive scores. But the fact is, many people do, for different reasons.

The most obvious one is lack of internet. This doesn’t necessarily mean a complete absence of internet (although this can also be a problem) but rather, internet that’s fast enough to sustain Call Of Duty’s multiplayer to levels where you won’t be screaming at your TV with rage.

It’s especially true for those just over 18, where they’re stuck using internet at uni or internet in shared accommodation. It’s not easy playing anything online when you have one room-mate on Netflix, another on Guild Wars 2 and yet another downloading South Park season 8.

The ultra-competitive environment that boils over into hostility also puts potential players off, as they’re either put off by the abuse dribbling down their headsets or the quick kill nature that sees new players endlessly dying over and over again until they can get a handle on how to play.

So the campaign still has a lot of appeal for those, plus we’d imagine the majority of players buy Call Of Duty for both single player and multiplayer.

But as a final point, consider this. Call Of Duty: Black Ops sold 11.66 million to date. Now if only 10% of Call Of Duty players pick it up for campaign mode – and going by anecdotal evidence, that figure feels quite low – that means Activision is missing out on 1.1 million sales.

So again, would Activision really consider making its series multiplayer only and miss out on those sales? It’s highly unlikely.

According to Treyarch design director David Vonderhaar, every person who plays this year's Call of Duty: Black Ops II should log time in the game's multiplayer mode. In an interview with Activision's One of Swords blog, Vonderhaar said the game's updated Combat Training mode was developed as a means to bring more players into the virtual battlefield.

Treyarch wants Call of Duty's multiplayer ranks to rise.
“As popular as [Call of Duty] is, there are a lot of people who don’t play [multiplayer],” Vonderhaar said. “And quite frankly, this bugs the sh** out of us. They should all play [multiplayer]. And Combat Training helps us get there.”

http://www.nowgamer.com/features/1697940/why_call_of_duty_will_never_be_multiplayer_only.html

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/al...-play-multiplayer-says-designer/1100-6397290/

So, yeah, they're low-balling that figure. It's more close to about 1/3rd of every copy of COD sold never goes online.

Amauri14

Great OT OP

EDIT:
I enjoy it even more than will ever enjoy a COD game.
(Although 4 and four-two [MW2] campaigns were really good)

rrs

Yet another reply of the OT being the best thing ever. Sadly, I don't feel like spending 60 bucks on CoD.

After the events of Call of duty 4 where the nuke went off in a middle eastern country, captain price and Soap Mctavish were Oscar Mike and shot the Arab first name Russian Last name british accent bad guy
I cracked up from the very first sentence, and it only gets better from there.

Hot fucking damn this OT is a work of art. Thank you :)

nib95

Banned
It's a tiny, tiny bit better than BF3. But with worse characters. Irish is like... the worst character ever, just ugh. Again, makes CoD characters look like they were written by Tolstoy.

This is somewhat amusing to me. Didn't they actually bring in relatively esteemed hollywood writing talent for the characters and story? Lol.

Do we know why Microsoft is hiding review scores for their new console?
When you get right down to it do review scores even mean anything? Maybe for hardcore forum console warriors with their microscopes, but for everybody else?

Whats the difference really?

Its only a single digit difference between a review score of a 4 and a 10, so the difference is barely distinguishable.

Toa TAK

Banned
This OP owns MGS4's.

Probably.

This will be my first game next gen on the One (sad, really). But as I'm busy with AC and Burial at Sea is out next week, I'll be plenty busy.

Awesome OT. I only clicked on it because of the youtube link in the title, otherwise there's no way I would have, and I would have missed out on the brutally honest & funny OT. Maybe there should be something added to the title so people do not miss out on it.

This is the gold standard of OTs for me from here on out. Well done!

Seriously, just spoil the doge ending. My monies are on the dog being a terrorist in disguise and you have to kill it in epic QTE showdown.

Off topic: am I weird for loving that the shibe thing is spreading? I know it'll get old eventually, but for now it cracks me up. So humor, much doge, very wow, etc.

It'll be tough for the game to live up to this OT, that's for sure.

This OP has me cracking up laughing. If it wasn't for the YouTube link in the title confusing the hell out of me, I never would've clicked it.

Literally the best OT I have seen on GAF, good job, the dog is killing me, I love the Treyarch CoD games but I love the jokes at CoD's expense too and this is just full of legendary ones.

Great OT, man! I was stupid enough to pre-order this game even though I'm not that excited about it. Ah well. The call of Call of Duty is hard to ignore.

Top Bottom