• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 |OT| Got 99 Problems, But Sales Ain't One.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
IceDoesntHelp said:
Holy shit 4 studios worked on this, I had no idea. Well if Treyarch worked on this, maybe it'll be better then the atrocious MW and MW2.
Yep, didn't like either of them. Preferred WaW.
Technically it's 6 studios.

IceDoesntHelp said:
Holy shit 4 studios worked on this, I had no idea. Well if Treyarch worked on this, maybe it'll be better then the atrocious MW and MW2.

You have shitty taste in games.

Madtown_

ajb1888 said:
So it seems to me like the bullet vests are basically "painkiller" reincarnated.. for the whole team lol! Have mercy..
I don't think this will be an issue. It's not like Painkiller at all!
Painkiller gave you 3x (or 4x?) health for 10 seconds. This looks like no more than 1.5x.

My concerns about all of these maps kinda playing out just the same weren't mitigated by that preview. One map had pipes...so that's something. Everyone kinda running in circles around the map without choke points or good vantage points are even an opportunity to see across the map.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
legacyzero said:
And Hey, lets not kid each other. You and I both know that
COD4
is still KING.

that'll be the only thing that makes MW3 appeal to me, is if it's more on the level of the original MW

Oh, I'll agree that almost nothing will take away from COD4 and it's original greatness. But I do kind of enjoy the insane action that is Ground War in MW2. Something's always happening.

legacyzero said:
That's because the maps look to be BALANCED. MW2's maps were a clusterfuck.

Clusterfuck for newbs who don't know how to play well.

For who played it competitively, the maps were some of the best in the series since they were cookie cutter predictable maps like blops that made everything easy & boring.

LowParry

I wish they could of continued the mode War from WaW. It was kinda Battlefield Rush style but with no main offensive or defensive roles between rounds. Anywho, hyped! And Max giving us the quality videos once again :D Fantastic!

OP missed some stuff:

- Breath and Stability proficiencies are in because idle sway has been put back in assault rifles. You will still find use for stability or Breath if you are using an AR with Red Dot.

- weapons with 3-shot bursts now kill in two bursts instead of one

- it wasn't that the 1887 had ridiculous range, but it had decent range that was made cheap with dual weilding because it meant you were firing 16 pellets at a time for at least 10 damage per pellet.

- assuming the P99 will function like an M9, you can expect the UsP to be the 40-20 damage pistol with the longest range.

- like in MW2, the LMGs will all have 100 ammo (200 ammo with extended mags attachment)

- there is a damage/range proficiency for shotguns.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
CcrooK said:
I wish they could of continued the mode War from WaW. It was kinda Battlefield Rush style but with no main offensive or defensive roles between rounds. Anywho, hyped! And Max giving us the quality videos once again :D Fantastic!

Thanks much dude, but yea...War was a really good reason to play W@W. I miss it.

def sim

I'm guessing not many people care about 3D.

Also, it's totally a fad. A very silly one that was around in the 80's and early 90's.

See You Next Wednesday said:
Clusterfuck for newbs who don't know how to play well.

For who played it competitively, the maps were some of the best in the series since they were cookie cutter predictable maps like blops that made everything easy & boring.
sorry but mw2 maps were factually horribly designed. It seems like everyone including the developers felt that. Only people who didn't are the few who enjoyed them anyway.

And like I keep saying, nothing wrong with enjoying them but they were BADLY designed.

Respawn

Banned
MadOdorMachine said:
Anyone know how many players can play split screen and if bots are included?
No bots. In a way you can say there are AI bots in survival mode. You just can't play a round of team deathmatch with them.

IceDoesntHelp said:

If treyarch had worked on this, we would have already noticed shitty weapon balance and crappy framerate issues.

Luckily the people who did MW3 were experienced enough to remember what made CoD4 so great: Weapon Balance. The only thing that I don't like so far is that it looks like there are no deliberately difficult ironsights like the M14 and SAW in CoD4.

def sim

I regret selling MW2 for Blops since the community is still significant today. I'm going to skip the Treyarch sequels from now on.

TestOfTide said:

Darn. The chance of a one burst kill is a good way to balance the huge fire rate discrepancy you're giving up by choosing to use burst fire.

While the M16 was the best in CoD4, I'd rather a burst fire or semi-automatic be considered the OP gun. At least they take more skill to use than spray 'n' pray automatics with insane firing rates, like Blops' FAMAS.

rance said:
I regret selling MW2 for Blops since the community is still significant today. I'm going to skip the Treyarch sequels from now on.

Don't worry. You can buy Black Ops 2 where they manage to nerf shotguns even more, make SMGs the overpowered guns again, and make the LMGs have even less ammo (because it makes perfect sense the way they balanced the HK-21 and the galil, right?).

And because it is treyarch, they will once again give you no sway even if you use a fucking ACOG sight.

Freezie KO said:
Darn. The chance of a one burst kill is a good way to balance the huge fire rate discrepancy you're giving up by choosing to use burst fire.

While the M16 was the best in CoD4, I'd rather a burst fire or semi-automatic be considered the OP gun. At least they take more skill to use than spray 'n' pray automatics with insane firing rates, like Blops' FAMAS.

I'm going to take a guess and say that you will still be able to get OHK someone if you get a headshot in before damage drop-off.

Jarate

Banned
Strider2K99 said:
3D in Black Ops was crap and doesn't work for the game. There are games with better looking 3D.

I didn't mind the 3d in black ops, and it made the game alot more enjoyable for me.

I hope next gen they start making most games 3d ready for consoles, I got slim pickins man

TestOfTide said:
I'm going to take a guess and say that you will still be able to get OHK someone if you get a headshot in before damage drop-off.

Probably. What was the M16 in CoD4? 40-30? If the burst was tight and you could land all three bullets, you'd get 120 and could kill with one burst to the chest.

I loved that since so many people just run around like chickens in this game, and it gave a slower, more aim-focused gun a chance in a gun fight. Then again, my favorite weapon in Blops was the G11 amidst a sea of FAMAS, AUG, and AK-74u's.

def sim

TestOfTide said:
Don't worry. You can buy Black Ops 2 where they manage to nerf shotguns even more, make SMGs the overpowered guns again, and make the LMGs have even less ammo (because it makes perfect sense the way they balanced the HK-21 and the galil, right?).

And because it is treyarch, they will once again give you no sway even if you use a fucking ACOG sight.

They made CoD boring. Say what you will about MW2, but it was fun as fuck once you accept it for what it is. It's like the MvC2 of shooters; so broken it's balanced.

Stackboy

If I sign up to COD Elite on the website, and am purchasing the Hardened edition of MW3, can I tack on my year subscription to my signup?

TestOfTide said:

Whaa? I thought Infinity Ward was including Stopping Power into the damage models for all the weapons. Dunno why they would deliberately neuter burst weapons.

Madtown_

Jack Scofield said:
Whaa? I thought Infinity Ward was including Stopping Power into the damage models for all the weapons. Dunno why they would deliberately neuter burst weapons.
I can't imagine burst weapons being anything worse than 35-25 or 40-30.
Where is the info coming from?

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
_Alkaline_ said:
All around? Nah. I would say they were merely inconsistent.

Black Ops had the better maps.
I thought all of Black Ops' maps were pretty good, but none of them reached the highs or lows that MW2 did for me. Some of those maps I loved far more than any in BO, but there were some that I hated (Rundown... ugh). Overall I'd say the two games tied in in terms of maps, personally.

Considering that IW never implements any of Treyarch's stuff into their games, I'm assuming that the interactive stuff on some maps is gone. Thank god — that stupid shuttle on Launch was annoying. Such a lame gimmick.

J2d

TestOfTide said:
I used to love the one burst kills with the famas in MW2 and now I can't have any of it? Booo

rance said:
They made CoD boring. Say what you will about MW2, but it was fun as fuck once you accept it for what it is. It's like the MvC2 of shooters; so broken it's balanced.

black ops is still fun, but treyarch wasn't really able to balance for shit just some examples off the top of my head:

- reduced the skorpion's rate of fire, making it a shittier version of the 74u
- made the double barrel have a longer reload time than most ARs and most other weapons in general
- made the einfield, famas and AUG a 3HK yet fired as fast as all the SMGs
- didn't diversify the pistols at all (in CoD4 and MW2, all of your pistols each had different hipfire spread and damage dropoff)
- made worst attachment ever (tell me one good reason to use snub nose)
- took the M16 and made an overpowered clone that fired faster, held 48 ammo, and had SMG hipfire spread (G11)
- made most of the SMGs practically unusable (some due to having only 20 ammo and some having unusable sights and/or unmanagable recoil)
- made the suppressed spas and non-dual HS-10 do the exact same damage (meaning your unsupressed gun with half as much ammo takes just as many shots to use)

vatstep said:
I thought all of Black Ops' maps were pretty good, but none of them reached the highs or lows that MW2 did for me.

While I still think Black Ops overall had the better maps, I would agree with this. There's nothing in BO that quite matches something like Terminal or Arghan. Those maps have a real novelty, are visually interesting and are well designed to boot.

Black Ops had the consistency though - it certainly has nothing worse than Estate and Derail. Crisis comes the closest but even that map is generally enjoyable. It was very easy for me to pick my favourite games in MW2, but with BO it became a lot harder to choose (in a good way).

Also, I liked the gimmicks personally. The shuttle should've only been there for S&D though - it feels pointless otherwise and only causes frustration.

_Alkaline_ said:
While I still think Black Ops overall had the better maps, I would agree with this. There's nothing in BO that quite matches something like Terminal or Arghan. Those maps have a real novelty, are visually interesting and are well designed to boot.

Black Ops had the consistency though - it certainly has nothing worse than Estate and Derail. Crisis comes the closest but even that map is generally enjoyable. It was very easy for me to pick my favourite games in MW2, but with BO it became a lot harder to choose (in a good way).

Also, I liked the gimmicks personally. The shuttle should've only been there for S&D though - it feels pointless otherwise and only causes frustration.

I'm just going to assume that you are pretending Nuketown doesn't exist. Nuketown is the only time i have played a map and thought "wow, this is worse than wetwork".

Madtown_

TestOfTide said:
to everyone who wanted proof about the two burst thing:

http://www.callofduty.com/thread/1359

and to everyone complaining about it: Aim Better. You aren't good just because you picked that gun that could snipe at a distance and had no sway.
I'm not sure I'll take that guy's word for it at this point. With the damage other guns have, no one is going to use the M16 (all that's listed in that thread) if it doesn't kill with 3 hits/one burst. (I assume this means at close range)

If it's not a one-burst kill:
1) either all guns will have reduced damage unlike we had previously thought, OR
2) it will be under-powered.

30-30 damage seems like the only logical option if it is a two burst kill and guns do have 'SP built-in'.

I don't have a problem with it myself, I'd prefer things were right around CoD4 SP or MW2 without SP damage wise. Hopefully they hit the target here.

TestOfTide said:
- it wasn't that the 1887 had ridiculous range, but it had decent range that was made cheap with dual weilding because it meant you were firing 16 pellets at a time for at least 10 damage per pellet.
What? The 1887s had ridiculous range, and that's why they reduced it. Most of the time you didn't even need both barrels especially with stopping power.

Personally, I thought the bugs and balance issues were the best part about MW2. Commando was awesome. Care package knifing was awesome. The javelin glitch was literally the most hilarious and fun thing in multiplayer griefing history. A lesser known bug on the PC was that, for a very short time, players learned how to adjust one line in their config to make every care package dropped in a game hosted by that player contain a nuke. I hosted many games and ended them in 3 kills with a hardline care package nuke. Or I'd throw them over fences while my whole team went "HOLY SHIT THAT CARE PACKAGE HAS A NUKE IN IT AND WE CAN'T GET TO IT WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF."

Hey so for the people that were asking for the GAF PS3 PSN name, I just finished it,
so if you're on PS3 add:
MW3NeoGAF

as a friend; I'll check the account at least once a day and accept the friend requests.

jedimike

TestOfTide said:
to everyone who wanted proof about the two burst thing:

http://www.callofduty.com/thread/1359

and to everyone complaining about it: Aim Better. You aren't good just because you picked that gun that could snipe at a distance and had no sway.

My most used gun in BLOPS was the M16. I carried it all the way through and didn't mind prestiging because it was waiting for me right away on the other side. In BLOPS it wasn't a one-burst kill either. The advantage the M-16 had was range and accuracy.

I can't imagine IW putting more sway in it than Treyarch. IW's AR's felt like they were mounted on tripods compared to Treyarchs.

TestOfTide said:
I'm just going to assume that you are pretending Nuketown doesn't exist. Nuketown is the only time i have played a map and thought "wow, this is worse than wetwork".

Nuketown is what it is. Small, hectic maps have always been in CoD and Nuketown is probably the best of them anyway.

Top Bottom