• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 |OT| Got 99 Problems, But Sales Ain't One.

unomas

Banned
Gears of War 3 (check)
Arkham City (check)
Modern Warfare 3 (not sure, but I've completed 4,5,6, and 7 on Veteran....)
Assassins Creed Revelations (I want it badly)

The question is do I pick up Modern Warfare 3 even though I barely played any mulitplayer in black ops and Modern Warfare 2? I just feel a little Call of Duty burnout, but the hype and excitement is getting to me a bit!

kuYuri

unomas said:
Gears of War 3 (check)
Arkham City (check)
Modern Warfare 3 (not sure, but I've completed 4,5,6, and 7 on Veteran....)
Assassins Creed Revelations (I want it badly)

The question is do I pick up Modern Warfare 3 even though I barely played any mulitplayer in black ops and Modern Warfare 2? I just feel a little Call of Duty burnout, but the hype and excitement is getting to me a bit!

I say not if you only played a little of those two games. Rent it if you can.

Radec

Modern-Warfare-3-Prestige-emblems-leak-screenshot.jpg

I don't know about the 10th though.

DGRE

Banned
NullPointer said:
Hail to the King baby.

If I'm looking for a linear super-scripted shooting gallery cranked up to 11 with perk based multiplayer there is only one place I look where that's a very, very good thing: Modern Warfare.

(QTEs still suck in any shooter though. Hopefully there are few if any in MW3.)

Been burned on blockbusters and pre-orders so I'll give it a week or two after release and check on impressions. With the brain drain to Infinity Ward I'm hoping this still retains the IW magic that World at War and Black Ops lacks. But the upgrades to Spec Ops and the thought of continuing the campaign are drawing me in.

Excellent OP too.

Uhh...Black Ops is the best game in the series. Hands down.

M.W.

Black Ops...eww.

Anyways, just finished watching some of the IGN feed from earlier. Wow, am I pumped. The game oozes balance. Love love love the fact they're addressing most of the issues from MW2, even Black Ops.

ScrubJay

I sent both of the two Dew XP cards offers for whatever. I buy Dew by the 12 pack and probably won't be filling any rows out so I'll just help out with whatever you need.

Victrix

*beard*
Played some Cod4 earlier for shits and giggles.

Shocking how well it holds up.

The maps are smaller, there's less viable builds and less 'stuff' overall, but the core gameplay is rock solid, 60fps is still great, hit detection is good, and it's just plain fun.

I don't think they've really revolutionized the formula at all, I'll be curious to see where they go after MW3. Even the team has to be suffering some burnout at this point, especially if they don't do something new.

Definitely makes me curious about seeing what Respawn has to offer, since EA must be backing them hardcore.

None of which makes me less excited for MW3, can't wait to run around on a ton of maps with a ton of guns :D

Thrakier

Victrix said:
Played some Cod4 earlier for shits and giggles.

Shocking how well it holds up.

The maps are smaller, there's less viable builds and less 'stuff' overall, but the core gameplay is rock solid, 60fps is still great, hit detection is good, and it's just plain fun.

I don't think they've really revolutionized the formula at all, I'll be curious to see where they go after MW3. Even the team has to be suffering some burnout at this point, especially if they don't do something new.

Definitely makes me curious about seeing what Respawn has to offer, since EA must be backing them hardcore.

None of which makes me less excited for MW3, can't wait to run around on a ton of maps with a ton of guns :D

I was shocked how shitty it looks...because I know back then I loved the graphics. Then again I was also shocked by Black Ops when playing the demo. Will not touch this series again.

Madtown_

TestOfTide said:
It worked as intended, and as a result, you didn't have the bullshit like in Black Ops, where the silenced ARs did equal damage per bullet at range as high 30-20 SMGs did within range.

It was deliberate. And the fact that no one was having trouble getting good scores with the AK-47 even with the Red Dot shows that it was a good decision. Without that nerf, the gun's low recoil and small sway would have meant those easy headshots (because the whole point of ARs was that could players could get consistent headshots with them) would completely negate any damage drop-off at range.

The entire point of the AK47 was that the gun was devasting within its 40 damage range, and its low rate of fire made it's recoil more easily manageable.

Are you really trying to argue that the assault rifles in MW2 didn't need nerfing? Do you think that IW put idle sway on the ARs in CoD4 by accident? It was deliberate because they found that the guns were otherwise overpowered. For example, they made the M4 Carbine have a slow, but large sway becasue it was a high RoF, low recoil gun (so much so infact that even with sway it was the easiest gun to get consistent headshots with at a distance.

But all those guns still were more popular than all the LMGs and non-UMP SMGs because they all had low recoil and no sway, leading to more headshots, especially if you used the reduced flash of the silencers.

All you have to do is look at what they did in CoD4 to see, for the most part, how to balance the ARs.

I'm saying that it probably was changed to a 30-20 (meaning you have to get the head for a one burst kill). The point of the gun is that it becomes exponentially better against players that aren't moving as much (such as campers) and even with the nerf that will hold true.

Sources for gun stats:
http://denkirson.xanga.com/632800688/call-of-duty-4/
http://denkirson.xanga.com/715966769/modern-warfare-2/

Yes, I know this site. I pretty much used it religiously up until MW2. Either way, I'm not convinced they did what they did with the AK47 in cod4 on purpose but I'm not going to argue; neither of us has facts.

Also, yes the assault rifles were too powerful in MW2 but I was talking about the TAR and AK specifically. No need to nerf those two if you leave the rest the same. If you just gave all of the automatics AR's sway the game would have had much more class variety.

And I'll be shocked if the M16 is 30-20 and other guns are automatic and base 40 damage. A 30-20 burst rifle would essentially make it useless outside of effective range. This would mean the M16 would be best in close range encounters only, which is counter-intuitive to its' being a burst weapon to begin with (not to mention it would be outclassed by SMG's at this point)

Either way, I'm done with this back and forth. Until the game comes out it's not important to talk about what the gun damages 'supposedly' are according to a guy from XP. Den or his forum guys will have the info soon enough.

Freezie KO said:
From the looks of the IGN video, they're really going for a CoD4 look to the maps.

CoD4's maps had a really quiet, desolate and abandoned feel to them. MW2 went with scale and novelty, something that Black Ops also went for (but to a lesser degree).

These look somewhere in between. I like.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I'm up to 9 hours and 30 minutes of double XP time. I've also got about 10 unused caps that I'm saving to combine with Doritos codes.

Untracked

Spinning Plates said:
This stream on Twitch.tv is better quality than the youtube vid...

http://www.twitch.tv/ignlive/b/298922161
In the stream did anyone mention if players who subscribe to Elite get to keep the DLC forever?
Or do you lose them when your subscription runs out?

By purchasing the Hardened Edition, am I just pre-renting DLC?
That sounds so fucking wrong, but do I actually own the map packs?? I'm guessing not...

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Untracked said:
In the stream did anyone mention if players who subscribe to Elite get to keep the DLC forever?
Or do you lose them when your subscription runs out?

By purchasing the Hardened Edition, am I just pre-renting DLC?
That sounds so fucking wrong, but do I actually own the map packs?? I'm guessing not?
Yes, you own it forever. It was confirmed at the CoD XP keynote.

Kyoufu

vatstep said:
Yes, you own it forever. It was confirmed at the CoD XP keynote.

Really? Nice. The IW/Sledgehammer guys on the IGN stream said "I doubt it". Would have been shady if you didn't get to keep it all.

_Alkaline_ said:
CoD4's maps had a really quiet, desolate and abandoned feel to them. MW2 went with scale and novelty, something that Black Ops also went for (but to a lesser degree).

These look somewhere in between. I like.

COD4 maps felt less visually noisy. I could actually fucking see people!

iNvid02

dmg04 said:
Fully disagree.

yup, call of duty 4 is still the best in the series.

waw was too much of a step back
mw2 was unbalanced and ripped apart by hacks so quickly
black ops echoed the same vibe as waw, it was better but not fun

from everything i've seen mw3 looks a lot more balanced, and if it doesn't
get hacked to death soon after launch it could be the best cod yet

Frillen

I'm baffled that people could even argue about this. Modern Warfare 1 is by far the best in the series when it comes to online. Best maps, weapons and most importantly, the most balanced.

MW3 has potential to dethrone it though. IW has done a good job of making it more like MW1 and less like MW2. The maps looks smaller, more focused and more like the MW1 maps. The removal of Commando and nerfing of the noobtube is also a step in the right direction.

roosters93 said:
COD4 > Blops > MW2

Only ones I've played.

I would agree. Blops biggest issue was the janky netcode, it always felt inconsistent and it brought down the package.

MW2 without the server support was garbage along with all the crazy nonsense in the game and other issues.

COD4 still is the pinnacle of weapon balance and map design for the series. Was the perfect game that they haven't been able to replicate.

H3xum

Is there any word on what the Packages are in the Prestige Shop?

Are they just a combo of titles and such?

Top Bottom