• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 |OT| Got 99 Problems, But Sales Ain't One.

Freezie KO said:
I know, right? Why would you play the game if you weren't filling bars?

Filling bars?

I don't think I am really feeling this game. It's exactly like that one poster said it's a support nightmare, the maps are some of the worst in the series.

Stepto, after saying it was perfectly cool earlier in the day, is now warning people that Activision is banning people from the MW3 servers who are playing early. Doesn't matter if your copy is legit or not. They don't want anyone playing early.

Be warned.

muu

Trexid said:
I can confirm that at my BB the guy running the tourney said that pre-orders get priority into the tourney (92 slots total at mine). He said it was Gun Game and I'm guessing its single elimination.

For Walmart when I called over the phone to pre-order in store the guy thought I just wanted to sign up for the tourney, was a little confusing. I pre-ordered at walmart with the kid on the phone just in case though. Check your local walmart to see how they are running it. Kid was pretty clueless at my walmart.

I see. Gotten pretty crusty at this game after not touching it for so long, so maybe I'll just pick it up Tuesday and bypass all the confusion.

AnEternalEnigma said:
Stepto is warning people that Activision is banning people from the MW3 servers who are playing early. Doesn't matter if your copy is legit or not. They don't want anyone playing early.

Be warned.

Thanks for the warning, I'll take my chances because I think I'll be back to BF3 by next week. Just not feeling it. I think I enjoyed MW2 more I anyone can believe that.

994eec464328f812603fb0b7b8ef929f.png

kuYuri

DUN GOOFD said:
HOLY SHIT EVERYONE IS USING SUPPORT PACKAGE. UAV's and ADVANCED UAVS up 24/7. and it doesnt even matter if you kill them, their streaks never reset and they keep calling. theres only 1 time where there is no air support in the air and thats the first 30 secs of the match. blind eye perk does nothing to stop UAVS. guess i need assassin? thats level 27, good luck starting out in this game.

I saw this one coming. Better put that Double XP to good use and unlock Assassin, etc. as quick as possible.

DUN GOOFD said:
1. HOLY SHIT EVERYONE IS USING SUPPORT PACKAGE. UAV's and ADVANCED UAVS up 24/7. and it doesnt even matter if you kill them, their streaks never reset and they keep calling. theres only 1 time where there is no air support in the air and thats the first 30 secs of the match. blind eye perk does nothing to stop UAVS. guess i need assassin? thats level 27, good luck starting out in this game.

2. Crouching still makes footsteps sounds.. WHY??

the maps arent good in my opinion. so far i only like 2.

3. the revenge death streak is wall hack.. wtf was IW thinking??

some positive things....game runs smooth, feels better than MW2, very COD4 like. your old prestige emblems are on your player card, thats really cool...except i switched accounts :( so mine dont show.

4. You can hear people after u kill them! funny to hear them cry lol.

Grenade Launchers are definitely toned down, more like Black ops. getting lots of hit markers with them.

k going back to play :)

1. I predicted this, as did Max. I think it'll only be more and more pronounced past the game's release and in particular past Christmas. Lesser players (and thus the vast majority) will go with support because of the ease of acquiring them (therefore giving them more xp).

2. I heard this a little while ago. Good luck playing tourneys w/o perks if you don't have a headset or surround sound turned up.

3. I have no idea. I don't like them. But IW did expain their reasoning.

4. You can? How does it work? During killcams?

Victrix

*beard*
Look on the flipside - once you unlock Assassin, there will be meat EVERYWHERE, because people will be so used to staring at their minimap radar constantly for enemies, you'll be able to clean house in the rear ranks

edit: and once you're playing with friends, they'll be handing your team free pointstreaks for shooting all that shit down

I do wish CUAV was in Assault as well though :(

Mayyhem

DUN GOOFD said:
HOLY SHIT EVERYONE IS USING SUPPORT PACKAGE. UAV's and ADVANCED UAVS up 24/7. and it doesnt even matter if you kill them, their streaks never reset and they keep calling. theres only 1 time where there is no air support in the air and thats the first 30 secs of the match. blind eye perk does nothing to stop UAVS. guess i need assassin? thats level 27, good luck starting out in this game.

Crouching still makes footsteps sounds.. WHY??

the revenge death streak is wall hack.. wtf was IW thinking??

some positive things....game runs smooth, feels better than MW2, very COD4 like. your old prestige emblems are on your player card, thats really cool...except i switched accounts :( so mine dont show.

You can hear people after u kill them! funny to hear them cry lol.

Grenade Launchers are definitely toned down, more like Black ops. getting lots of hit markers with them.

........................f*ck

DUN GOOFD said:

Crouching still makes footsteps sounds.. WHY??

the revenge death streak is wall hack.. wtf was IW thinking??

You can hear people after u kill them! funny to hear them cry lol.

hopefully IW changes the support package so that you reset the counter when you use a streak.

undrtakr900

Quick Question:

When I play online I mostly use a riot shield and run around melee'ing people with it. But my question is when I switch to my secondary weapon and its on my back does it protect me from behind?
2wh1btt.jpg

I never really noticed if it does or doesn't...

undrtakr900 said:
Quick Question:

When I play online I mostly use a riot shield and run around melee'ing people with it. But my question is when I switch to my secondary weapon and its on my back does it protect me from behind?
2wh1btt.jpg

I never really noticed if it does or doesn't...

it did in MW2. it's a useful killstreak shield when lying prone.

undrtakr900

TestOfTide said:
it did in MW2. it's a useful killstreak shield when lying prone.
I recently got a x360 and started playing MW2 but never knew about laying prone, thanks for telling me :D

So you're saying its not going to protect me in MW3?

_Alkaline_ said:

If it's like in black-ops, then it's just a glitch that results from how killcams work. When you re viewing your killer's killcam, you are put in their team's teamchat until the cam ends.

You don't notice it as much in team deathmatch, but the very reaction driven S&D has it a lot.

undrtakr900 said:
I recently got a x360 and started playing MW2 but never knew about laying prone, thanks for telling me :D

So you're saying its not going to protect me in MW3?
Assuming it is like in MW2 it will definitely protect you.

jgminto

That sounds pretty bad with the Support Streak. Hopefully IW balances it quickly. Maybe a more suitable set up would be that every death removes a marker or resets it to the last killstreak instead of 0. That should decrease the killstreak spam and still keep Support useful against Assault.

jgminto said:
That sounds pretty bad with the Support Streak. Hopefully IW balances it quickly. Maybe a more suitable set up would be that every death removes a marker or resets it to the last killstreak instead of 0. That should decrease the killstreak spam and still keep Support useful against Assault.

No, that would just reintroduce the issue of discouraging aggressive playstyles.

What they should do is make the player have to make a decision: Do I use a UAV now and reset my counter, or do I keep going until I get a much better streak and use that?

exarkun

Is the game going to be more like MW1 or 2? or Black Ops? I was thinking about buying but...money is tight and I want to make sure I'll get a game that has a great online experience.

M.W.

exarkun said:
Is the game going to be more like MW1 or 2? or Black Ops? I was thinking about buying but...money is tight and I want to make sure I'll get a game that has a great online experience.

Well, they set out to make it more like MW1 with some MW2 like killstreaks/perks thrown in. I don't think it's going to feel like Black Ops at all. Which is a good thing IMO.

jgminto

TestOfTide said:
No, that would just reintroduce the issue of discouraging aggressive playstyles.

What they should do is make the player have to make a decision: Do I use a UAV now and reset my counter, or do I keep going until I get a much better streak and use that?
That could work. There could still be a lot of UAVs in the air though. And if a lot of people end up using UAV/CUAV/AUAV then it's not going to make a huge difference.

exarkun

Marcellus Wallace said:
Well, they set out to make it more like MW1 with some MW2 like killstreaks/perks thrown in. I don't think it's going to feel like Black Ops at all. Which is a good thing IMO.

Wow is that true? I loved 1, thought was 2 was pretty ok, Black Ops was pandering to an audience I was not a part of.

Izayoi

Banned
So, bets on how long it takes for them to patch the Support Streak?

exarkun said:
Wow is that true? I loved 1, thought was 2 was pretty ok, Black Ops was pandering to an audience I was not a part of.
What audience might that be?

M.W.

exarkun said:

I just remember Robert Bowling saying how they wanted to get back to the gun play that was present in COD4. Throw in the advances MW2 had and you have MW3. Honestly, the game looks to be much more balanced that I originally thought.

Madtown_

exarkun said:
More like? I'd go Mw2, probably. But from early impressions it's unlike any of them.

I've watched a couple of gameplays, both on the same map. One thing I didn't like: damage seems way high. I hope it's 40 max for guns and nothing more but who knows..
With improved hit detection AND higher damage the game will become even faster; I was happy with Mw2 speed though. But it's hard to judge until I can try for myself.

I have to admit that I'm a little surprised the UAVs are always in the air due to the Support Strike packages.

If the UAV is 4 kills and the Advanced UAV is 12, then worst case scenario, a support player has to get 16 non-consecutive kills to put up 3 UAVs. Is that really so much easier than just getting 3 kills in a row, three different times?

In theory, with Assault, if you died after you put up a UAV each time, you could get 3 UAVs in 9 kills. And if you died once every five kills, you'd get 3 UAVs in 15 kills, which is still less than the Support package (ignoring the "Advanced" part of Advanced UAV).

Madtown_

Genesis Knight said:
How are they going to patch it? Seems like the design is flawed conceptually?
It's not difficult to change the design of the strike package. So I doubt it'd be hard to patch.
It'll be interesting to see what happens when the masses get there hands on this, and how IW reacts.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
TestOfTide said:
Fuck that.

Make it so they only get the killstreaks once or twice. Make them use the killstreaks to SUPPORT THEIR TEAM rather than just spamming the fuck out of them willy nilly.

Victrix

*beard*
It's still not that big of a deal. There's only a tiny few Support streaks that have any direct lethal impact on the battlefield.

The enemy team putting up loads of UAVs just means you pull out your Assassin build and murder them, or break out your launcher or your LMG or your Blind Eye Pro and get a shitload of free pointstreak points.

It also means they aren't working towards any of the nastier Assault streaks, which is what people hated so much about MW2 combat. Enemy UAV x5 is a lot less frustrating than enemy harrier x5 (and Assault is toned down a bit as well compared to MW2).

DUN GOOFD

Banned
game should be called CALL OF DUTY: ENEMY UAV SPOTTED
thats all u hear all game long. LOL im dead serious. 6 players all using support package. with hardline it only takes them 1 kill after capping a dom flag at spawn to call up a UAV. then they call advance UAV, and killing them does NOTHING to stop it. its crazy.

_Alkaline_ said:
1. I predicted this, as did Max. I think it'll only be more and more pronounced past the game's release and in particular past Christmas. Lesser players (and thus the vast majority) will go with support because of the ease of acquiring them (therefore giving them more xp).

2. I heard this a little while ago. Good luck playing tourneys w/o perks if you don't have a headset or surround sound turned up.

3. I have no idea. I don't like them. But IW did expain their reasoning.

i just hear the people talk shit when i kill them lol. at first i thought it was my teammates but i started double checking. you can definitely hear whoever u kill right after. "omg drop shotter" "wtf no way" hearing these a lot lol. i dont think i've heard someone talk to me after killing me tho.
TestOfTide said:
If it's like in black-ops, then it's just a glitch that results from how killcams work. When you re viewing your killer's killcam, you are put in their team's teamchat until the cam ends.

You don't notice it as much in team deathmatch, but the very reaction driven S&D has it a lot.
hmm doesnt seem like glitch, i'm thinking its a new feature cause its happening way too often? i'm only playing TDM/DOM/KILL CONFIRMED... havent even touched search yet and no other lobbies seem to fill up.

DRE Fei said:
SAM turret is going to give so much xp in this game it's ridiculous.
THIS. just starting using it. u have too! no other way to take out all the uav's. so far this game is TEAM UAV vs TEAM COUNTER UAV

jgminto

I think what's going to end up pissing me off is the likelihood of at least one EMP per game. That could get frustrating.

exarkun said:

This game is MW2 turbo edition. It's crazy every 5 seconds you hear enemy uav or some package coming in. You don't have time to think or use any strategy.

Madtown_

Liquidsnake said:
This game is MW2 turbo edition. It's crazy every 5 seconds you hear enemy uav or some package coming in. You don't have time to think or use any strategy.
If this stays the case, I guess we'll see if the new IW actually does care about balancing their game in a timely fashion and can do it quickly.

jgminto

We don't have to worry guys. I'm sure IW will patch it up by the end of the month. Just like...uhhh OMA/DC toobers. Well what about Commando rushers? Oh wait...

Nevermind guys.

undrtakr900

jgminto said:
Because you can lunge 5 metres in less than a second. Which leads to people running around the map with Tac Knife, Marathon, Lightweight and Commando knifing everyone.
Dam that sucks I used that setup, except I just ran around melee'ing with the riot shield. Looks like I'll have to get a new strategy now, oh well..

Mengetsu

Liquidsnake said:

Well you are only playing with a limited number of people right now plus abuse of the uav is gonna be there because that's the very first thing you unlock in the game. Wait till everyone is online and actually getting to level 60-80 and trying everything out in the game and making it their own. Honestly if something like that gets patched within the first 2-3 weeks ill be amazed because I know IW thought these through before making the Strike/Assault Packages. Besides if people want to waist their time using uav's or package's all day I say more power to them. Less Predator Missiles and AC-130's in the sky and more space for me to use them.

KaYotiX

Banned
Wow...this isnt sounding very apealing but i guess ill find out next week. I wish they would tone down on the kill streaks in general. Seems like it will be MW2 Super hyper turbo edition if all these early reports are right.

DRE Fei

jgminto said:
I think what's going to end up pissing me off is the likelihood of at least one EMP per game. That could get frustrating.
Assassin pro is immune to EMP.

I like the support package because it takes the pressure away from earning killstreaks, which encourages people to run around more and have fun. I think they should leave it untouched. It's mostly non-lethal killstreaks, so I'm not worried about it.

DRE Fei said:
Assassin pro is immune to EMP.

I like the support package because it takes the pressure away from earning killstreaks, which encourages people to run around more and have fun. I think they should leave it untouched. It's mostly non-lethal killstreaks, so I'm not worried about it.

Being able to see everyone on the map destroys any possibility of strategic movement or flanking. It's an awful oversight.

fernoca

So...
No Wii-version info..yet? :\

First Modern Warfare the Wii gets at launch...and not even a pic or info about if the online will be at least as good as Black Ops (and with patch support too). Granted, is Treyarch doing the Wii version (again) so no need to worry, but still would be nice to see or know something before buying this Tuesday.

Top Bottom