• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 |OT| Got 99 Problems, But Sales Ain't One.

jgminto

These scenes are supposed to add drama but you feel no attachment to any of them. Frankly I could go as far as to say they were annoying.

Bollocks

Xater said:
Nope it's because it's not all that shocking and people are just trying to create another controversy.
It doesn't need to be gross to be shocking, it's shocking because the developers actually thought it was a good idea to put it in.
Even if it's M there are some boundaries on what you can and can't do and you simply can't do that.
As if COD needs any more publicity. The airport scene created a lot more noise than necessary I never really felt it was an issue plus I'm pretty liberal to this stuff but that scene?! I don't want this shit anywhere near my games that disgusts me more than anything even if it's a game, you can't do that.

Bollocks said:
Yikes, MW3's "airport scene"
kid gets bombed
Spoiler obviously:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6VbeJ10FFg

MW2's scene was borderline but they have clearly crossed the line this time, wtf is this shit, to even consider that it is acceptable to put in.

I don't care for the scene but couldn't help but think how much better IW/whoever handles these compared to DICE/BF3. BF3 probably would have been a noninteractive "Press blah to take a picture" or something.

jgminto said:
These scenes are supposed to add drama but you feel no attachment to any of them. Frankly I could go as far as to say they were annoying.

Pretty much. Exploitation for shock value. You can see the devs/writers saying, "And then it blows up and the player is shocked...!"

ArjanN

Bollocks said:
It doesn't need to be gross to be shocking, it's shocking because the developers actually thought it was a good idea to put it in.
Even if it's M there are some boundaries on what you can and can't do and you simply can't do that.
As if COD needs any more publicity. The airport scene created a lot more noise than necessary I never really felt it was an issue plus I'm pretty liberal to this stuff but that scene?! I don't want this shit anywhere near my games that disgusts me more than anything even if it's a game, you can't do that.

The airport scene went a lot further IMO. This is a
family getting caught in an explosion
. In the airport scene you gun down dozens of innocent unarmed people.

Touch

ArjanN said:
The airport scene went a lot further IMO. This is a
family getting caught in an explosion
. In the airport scene you gun down dozens of innocent unarmed people.
Hey now, you never know. We might get to do that again. I'm sure the
child getting blown up
isn't "No Russian" of the game.

oops spoilers

aristotle

I'll set up the PS3 GAF clan if no one else wants to. I'll have the hardened edition and I can have the clan set up around 1am CST on the 8th.

If no one else wants it/called it already that is. We can get the extra XP and founders awards with it too :)

Should we put up a new thread in the Community section for the clans? So far the list is :

GAF | PSN
Global: MW3NeoGAF
TacticalFox88 | NightBlade88
Kyoufu | Kyoufu
aristotle | xinoart
Radec | xtheEnemy
Xater | Xater
madmaxx350 | madmaxx350
The Last Wizard | Nighthawk17

I've already added a few of you and some are still awaiting responses. Just send me an invite or message and I can add you to my PSN list. If it's full, I'll delete some people that haven't been online in awhile.

rezuth

Bollocks said:
Yikes, MW3's "airport scene"
kid gets bombed
Spoiler obviously:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6VbeJ10FFg

MW2's scene was borderline but they have clearly crossed the line this time, wtf is this shit, to even consider that it is acceptable to put in.
What are you talking about? They are depicting war son, it's not suppose to be pretty. The scene is suppose to be emotional and make us want to fight the "enemy" in the game. Not to mention the game is rated M for Mature, just don't play it bro.

I'm looking for some advice from COD-GAF.

My friends and I put a ton of time into MW2 and BLOPS, mostly playing HQ and Domination. We all tend to lone wolf it however, and get ripped apart when playing a well-coordinated team.

Does anybody have any tips on staying together/communicating/improving strategy when playing with friends (not pubs)? We're all wearing headsets so I have to imagine we're doing something wrong.

SillyEskimo said:
Geez, none of you wussies better play Homefront. Worse things happen in that game during the opening credits.

I haven't played MW3's SP, so who knows the context, but somehow I doubt the story has a sense of reverence to make this scene have any impact other than shock. COD SP has been about bombastic production values--shit like this adds nothing. Homefront was no better.

Touch

PalaceBrother said:
I'm looking for some advice from COD-GAF.

My friends and I put a ton of time into MW2 and BLOPS, mostly playing HQ and Domination. We all tend to lone wolf it however, and get ripped apart when playing a well-coordinated team.

Does anybody have any tips on staying together/communicating/improving strategy when playing with friends (not pubs)? We're all wearing headsets so I have to imagine we're doing something wrong.
If you all actually communicate about what's going on in the match, that helps. Not saying you don't. Basically, communication is the key here. Once you start talking about the match you should form strategies and use team work naturally. If not, someone needs to step up and start making a game plan. If your friends don't follow along, well, that's a whole other issue.

aristotle

Touch said:
If you all actually communicate about what's going on in the match, that helps. Not saying you don't. Basically, communication is the key here. Once you start talking about the match you should form strategies and use team work naturally. If not, someone needs to step up and start making a game plan. If your friends don't follow along, well, that's a whole other issue.

What he said. Also, FLANK FLANK FLANK!

CoD maps are now designed so there is no "safe" spot. You can always be killed from an angle you can't cover alone.

MW2 "turbo" sounds like a cruel joke. To me, Black Ops plays at a much more reasonable pace. Something I can actually deal with. When I go back to MW2, it feels so much faster.

bluehat9

I'd like to get into a gaf ps3 clan since I think only one of my friends from blops plans to buy mw3, but I know I won't be able to put any real time in until December. Anyone know the limit of how many can be in a clan? I'll probably just wait and not tie up a spot for someone who is actively playing at release anyway.

As for the whole 'unlock gear' token, anyone know if you can use it on a pro perk? And something else I'm confused about: if you do use a token to unlock something, does it unlock only for that current prestige (and you need to use another token to unlock it early next time you prestige) or do you just keep it always unlocked through every prestige after spending that first token on it?

Kyoufu

Radec said:
Wait wat? stat reset for sure?

(just logged in btw)

It could be a bluff but Glen Schofield said they'll probably reset stats/levels for everyone to be on an even playing field.

I'm told IW/Treyarch have said this before without doing anything so *shrug*.

dmg04 said:
Fuck that.

Make it so they only get the killstreaks once or twice. Make them use the killstreaks to SUPPORT THEIR TEAM rather than just spamming the fuck out of them willy nilly.

No, my idea would work, because players that are dying more are going to have a harder time getting to something like an 8 kill streak. So either you would see killstreaks less often, or it woulf just be like Cod4 where uav was up most of the time.

Keep in mind that if you really are good at this game, you should know how to kill and not get killed regardless of uav advantage/disadvantage. If that isn't the case, you need to play more search and destroy.

Btw, I am sure that the voice chat thing is a glitch that is more notice-able from players not instarespawning as much.

aristotle

bluehat9 said:
I'd like to get into a gaf ps3 clan since I think only one of my friends from blops plans to buy mw3, but I know I won't be able to put any real time in until December. Anyone know the limit of how many can be in a clan? I'll probably just wait and not tie up a spot for someone who is actively playing at release anyway.

As for the whole 'unlock gear' token, anyone know if you can use it on a pro perk? And something else I'm confused about: if you do use a token to unlock something, does it unlock only for that current prestige (and you need to use another token to unlock it early next time you prestige) or do you just keep it always unlocked through every prestige after spending that first token on it?

There's a 100 member cap I believe. You shouldn't have to worry about joining up and not playing for a bit. Just as long as we have an active portion (5-20 people) of the clan, it's all good.

Xater

Bollocks said:

Have you ever watched a movie where a kid gets killed? This is nothing shocking, just a cheap trick to create motivation.

Ive noticed that various Twitter accounts from professional magazines and websites just blatantly flat out put the spoiler in their tweets...this is NOT how i wanted my game to be spoiled. Pathetic Journalism

Bleh, I'm on the fence about how some people have gotten the game so early. I feel like I'm going to be way behind in terms of multiplayer by the time I get it when it launches on Tuesday. I'm sure some of you lucky few who got it yesterday will have already prestiged and know the maps inside and out by the time I hop online. :/

backflip10019 said:
Bleh, I'm on the fence about how some people have gotten the game so early. I feel like I'm going to be way behind in terms of multiplayer by the time I get it when it launches on Tuesday. I'm sure some of you lucky few who got it yesterday will have already prestiged and know the maps inside and out by the time I hop online. :/

They're not allowing anyone to play online yet.

Angry Fork

Kind of scared of people talking about being able to snipe with acog or the constant support shit.

But if I only play hardcore s & d then I don't have to worry about that stuff right? And if noob tubes are downgraded then that's great. What do I have to worry about with search and destroy?

Sushen

LabouredSubterfuge said:
Which in and of itself is causally a poor design decision. Being forced to use a perk as a nigh on necessity limits the whole customisability ethic of the game.
I didn't use ghost in blops, and it worked out fine. It only matters if you sit on your ass camping. FYI staying in one spot for long is the worst 'strategic' move you make in COD.

Angry Fork

Anton Sugar said:
What's this? Support package was the one that interested me the most.
Referring to this post

DUN GOOFD said:
HOLY SHIT EVERYONE IS USING SUPPORT PACKAGE. UAV's and ADVANCED UAVS up 24/7. and it doesnt even matter if you kill them, their streaks never reset and they keep calling. theres only 1 time where there is no air support in the air and thats the first 30 secs of the match. blind eye perk does nothing to stop UAVS. guess i need assassin? thats level 27, good luck starting out in this game.

Crouching still makes footsteps sounds.. WHY??

the maps arent good in my opinion. so far i only like 2.

the revenge death streak is wall hack.. wtf was IW thinking??

some positive things....game runs smooth, feels better than MW2, very COD4 like. your old prestige emblems are on your player card, thats really cool...except i switched accounts :( so mine dont show.

You can hear people after u kill them! funny to hear them cry lol.

Grenade Launchers are definitely toned down, more like Black ops. getting lots of hit markers with them.

k going back to play :)

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
They didn't cross any line, sheesh, movies do this all the time and other games have had scenes just as bad. Game is M-rated for a reason.

Bollocks

Xater said:
Have you ever watched a movie where a kid gets killed? This is nothing shocking, just a cheap trick to create motivation.
What gems do I have to watch where it is as blatantly done as in MW3?
Thing is, MW3 is a freaking sweet game, it's not the first in the series people know what's in store for them. As if this was needed to push the story forward, previous games where fine without it. The execution was just poor.

Angry Fork said:
Referring to this post

Oooh, gotcha. Hope this will balance out once more people start playing...but doesn't sound like a fun way to start.

Deadly Cyclone said:
They didn't cross any line, sheesh, movies do this all the time and other games have had scenes just as bad. Game is M-rated for a reason.

I don't find it to be too "shocking", but the scene itself is pointless and unnecessary.

Angry Fork

I didn't watch the video (don't want to spoil) but a baby/kid is thrown into a fire in Rambo (the newest one) and the 1st episode of the 1st season of Walking Dead had a child get shot in the forehead at close range. Child violence in other forms aren't unheard of except in games. Those are the 2 examples I can think of off the top but I'm sure there's a lot more.

Top Bottom