• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 |OT| Got 99 Problems, But Sales Ain't One.

Mayyhem said:
Alright I apologize for being a little too hostile about the spawn issue, its not THAT bad, but it does have noticeable issues. I'm sure they can be partially supported through a patch.

As for some quick impressions, because I'm still playing Multiplayer.

Pros:
-Runs smoother then ever, which is a no-brainer for CoD but coming off BF3 on 360 this just feels like butter.
-The guns feel and look amazing, but most noticeably sound fantastic. Much improved over MW2
-More challenging to unlock higher killstreaks like the AC-130 and Osprey Gunner because of there being no Harrier.
-The maps are surprisingly pretty sweet, some high highs and some low lows on that though. More good than bad so far in my opinion.
-The one-on-one gunplay is great, and seems very polished. Not sure how to explain this better but it "feels" better to put shots into someone.
-The un-lockable s, weapon levels, gadgets, perks etc seem to be a little overwhelming but actually quite nice because of the variety.
Cons:
-Although they arent the high streaks (yet) there seems to always be a bunch of shit in the air, especially UAVs and Advanced UAVs.
-The spawn system needs some work (noted this in TDM, Demo, Dom). I find myself many times spawning in positions where there are enemies behind me or very near me.
-Lots of the maps seem to promote camping/ camping areas
-Quick-scoping seems a little too easy (could be a pro depending on your preference)

Can't really think of much else right now, I'll add things as I play more.

I can answer questions regarding multiplayer.

Sweet. I don't mind there being a lot of UAV's and shit in the air, Blops was the same. Spawn issues.. meh, I only play Demo and SnD mostly. Sucks about QS though. Why is IW so stubborn on this? It's like OMA. Why even have something so stupid in the game? The amount of douches who like to run around doing 360 no scope shots and quick scoping is tiny compared to the people who hate it and those tards give the community a bad rep.

So I'm going to be coming in with 3 Prestige Tokens-what should I spend it on? Can you do 3 unlocks for Weapons/Perks right off the bat? So I can unlock the Stinger/Assasin together right from the start?

Touch said:
What exactly is the issue with it? If it's just the spawns, I'm fine with that. Seeing that I still play MW2 and gave up caring about that. Other than spawns what else makes the game a "mess"?

1) The maps are poorly laid out, and amazingly small. They are some of the worst in the series.
2) UAV 24-7 and packages dropping every 5 seconds.

It's maddening. You don't have time to think. No strategy what so ever.

Mayyhem

Liquidsnake said:
1) The maps are poorly laid out, and amazingly small. They are some of the worst in the series.

I fully agree with this, the maps are way too small overall

rance said:
I gave up on Blops pretty quickly so I'm not ruling out disliking this game. I didn't even prestige once.

I'm expecting it to at least be as hectic as MW2 or as solidly balanced with good damage and maps like MW1. I'm fine with either extremes. The problem with Blops is that it's boring. So boring.

Why is blops boring to you?

Radec

MDavis360 said:
So I'm going to be coming in with 3 Prestige Tokens-what should I spend it on? Can you do 3 unlocks for Weapons/Perks right off the bat? So I can unlock the Stinger/Assasin together right from the start?
You gave to prestige in mw3 first to access the preatige shop

Touch

Liquidsnake said:

I know you have been playing the game for a while but from the hours I have put in watching streams that maps don't seem that bad. Maybe one map I saw looked messed up with a lot of vertical elements that I thought they got rid of but I actually liked the majority of the maps I have seen so far. Might change once I actually play the game, just saying they don't look as bad as you are putting it.

UAV might be an issue for some. In my opinion, hearing the announcer say it over and over is the worst part. I could give a shit if the enemy knows where I am.

As for strategy, I watched some guys playing search and dom and they seemed to have a strat and it was working.

Meh, day 0 theory fighting in COD. I'm not going to doubt you though sense you have played the game. I just don't think it's going to be that bad or as you put it a 'mess'.

Touch said:
I know you have been playing the game for a while but from the hours I have put in watching streams that maps don't seem that bad. Maybe one map I saw looked messed up with a lot of vertical elements that I thought they got rid of but I actually liked the majority of the maps I have seen so far. Might change once I actually play the game, just saying they don't look as bad as you are putting it.

UAV might be an issue for some. In my opinion, hearing the announcer say it over and over is the worst part. I could give a shit if the enemy knows where I am.

As for strategy, I watched some guys playing search and dom and they seemed to have a strat and it was working.

Meh, day 0 theory fighting in COD. I'm not going to doubt you though sense you have played the game. I just don't think it's going to be that bad or as you put it a 'mess'.

I put in less than a day into mw2 to know it was a shitfest.

Touch

cuevas said:
I put in less than a day into mw2 to know it was a shitfest.
I think everyone realized is was a shitfest day one. Even with it being a shitfest, I still play that game more than any other COD. Even over Black Ops (which I straight up quit after a couple weeks). Actually I rather enjoy MW2 a lot. Fuck the issues, it's a good game. I said it.

Xamdou

The Xtortionist said:
MW2 is a lot of fun when you're coming off Blops, since the vastly superior hit detection, netcode, and framerate are more apparent.

Will those three pillars of MW2 carry over to MW3?

The Xtortionist said:
MW2 is a lot of fun when you're coming off Blops, since the vastly superior hit detection, netcode, and framerate are more apparent.

And then everyone is using interventions, modded barrett .50 cal's and noob tubes with danger close. Suddenly it isn't so fun anymore.

Black Ops at least manages to keep me sane, which is more than I can say for the current state of MW2. And I just played it yesterday.

It's sad what MW2 turned into. Such a wonderful game during its initial few weeks.

Yeah I hear you all. The game is smooth as silk and has sound that kinda puts BF3 to shame. I just didn't have fun. I preferes blops. Not to sound condescending but if you really enjoyed MW2 for the clutter of incoming killstreaks and packages you should be right at home. It's just not my thing.

I enjoyed cod 4 and the feeling of my team and I going after an objective, and holding choke points. I didn't get that feeling at all here. My heart was crushed. I'm sure a lot of you will like it, and I'm not here to trash the game. It just disappointed me. I'm sure you all will buy it and then we can discuss your opinions. It should be interesting.

LowParry

Oh I'll be playing with a friend all night Tues into Wed so I'll have a good feel of the game and see where any flaws are. Damn the guns sound great though.

Victrix

*beard*
snack said:
None of the maps are small like Rust right? If so, I think we're good.

Dome's about the closest thing to a Rust style map, and it feels more like a weird version of Vacant with circular flow

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
Xamdou said:
Will stats reset on Tuesday?

Also who get's priority on Clan names?
I seriously doubt there will be stat reset. They said they would do it every time for the past 2 years but it never happens

Xamdou

SteveO409 said:
I seriously doubt there will be stat reset. They said they would do it every time for the past 2 years but it never happens

So people who get the game early get a head start? They also get priority on clan tags?

jadedm17

_Alkaline_ said:
And then everyone is using interventions, modded barrett .50 cal's and noob tubes with danger close. Suddenly it isn't so fun anymore.

Black Ops at least manages to keep me sane, which is more than I can say for the current state of MW2. And I just played it yesterday.

It's sad what MW2 turned into. Such a wonderful game during its initial few weeks.
I'm with them, MW2 just feels like a smoother experience in comparison to Black Ops. That said, can I apologize for being one of those rocket launcher + danger close scrubs? I was always an ACR + stopping power sorta guy myself but after 5 prestiges I realized how much more fun using RL+DC was. That and the fact I'd get 1 to 3+ people every life I was given.

On the topic of MW3 : Three hours put in and I've gotta say don't worry, its the same frustrating Call of Duty experience its always been. I'll agree to the map spawn comments, I can't tell if I'm just getting used to the new game or what may be wrong but I can't seem to get any sort of strategy going, its all chaos. I have a 1.2 KD but cant get any real killstreaks going, and MW2 I used to run chopper gunners like crazy. I hope its me.

AnEternalEnigma said:
I'd rather have small maps than garbage like Derail and Fuel from MW2.
IKvXD.gif

Xamdou

cuevas said:
Clan tags are reserved? Is it still 4 characters?

Been watching the streams posted here and max characters is 4. Exactly how does the clan system work? Is it like BlackOps where you just put in any type of clan tag or do you reserve a clan name and then invite people just like the clan system in Halo 2?

-Mikey-

Mayyhem said:
The spawns are fucking terrible. Spawn kills happen quite often. I find myself dying from behind a LOT more then face-to-face gunfights in this game.
Spawning issues have been a major problem in this series since CoD 1..

Izayoi

Banned
Full Metal Jacket said:
I wanna play this so bad, but I don't want to pay for live.
Are you not blessed by the master race, nor do you have access to the triple?

snack said:
pshhhh, Skyrim? haha

Potential GOTY but imma dive in on MW3 first. I love my MP games more.
Man, I need something to break up the monotony of 4 hour WUHBAM campaigns, you know?

Izayoi

Banned
Full Metal Jacket said:
plus I fucked up both my controllers trying to change the battery. : (
You monster.

No, I understand, I prefer the 360 pad to the Dualshock for shooters as well, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

Or just wait to buy it until you can afford the game and a re-up for XBL. I can assure you it won't be going anywhere.

Touch

Liquidsnake said:
Yeah I hear you all. The game is smooth as silk and has sound that kinda puts BF3 to shame. I just didn't have fun. I preferes blops. Not to sound condescending but if you really enjoyed MW2 for the clutter of incoming killstreaks and packages you should be right at home. It's just not my thing.

I enjoyed cod 4 and the feeling of my team and I going after an objective, and holding choke points. I didn't get that feeling at all here. My heart was crushed. I'm sure a lot of you will like it, and I'm not here to trash the game. It just disappointed me. I'm sure you all will buy it and then we can discuss your opinions. It should be interesting.
I don't like MW2 for the incoming killstreaks and packages. No one should. I enjoy it just as much as I enjoyed COD4 and play it mostly the same way. It might be because I never play alone and only really play with full parties. Which cuts down on the majority of the bullshit. Even COD4 was horrible when playing lone wolf sometimes and I would argue that that game had more stuff in the air than MW2 at times.

The strategy and feeling of great team play is there if you want it to be.

Touch

I guess I worded that wrong.

There are times when I play MW2 and there is nothing in the air, ever. I can't remember the last time I played COD4 that there wasn't a helicopter in the air. You all are right MW2 can have "more" things in the air at once. But how often something is up? COD4 is up there with it.

Touch said:
I guess I worded that wrong.

There are times when I play MW2 and there is nothing in the air, ever. I can't remember the last time I played COD4 that there wasn't a helicopter in the air. You all are right MW2 can have "more" things in the air at once. But how often something is up? COD4 is up there with it.

Eh it depends who you are playing with and against. If I'm rolling with 2 or 3 teammates in blops we have a constant stream of uavs, counters, and blackbirds during the entire match.

fernoca

Full Metal Jacket said:
I have a ps3 but I rather play on the xbox, plus I fucked up both my controllers trying to change the battery. : (
Well...
-Kmart: Buy MW3 get a 1 year Xbox Live for $40 (original price's $60) and a $15 gaming coupon. (Shopyourway-reward card needed -is free-)

-Amazon: Preorder MW3 get $25 off of a digital code for 12-months of Xbox Live (Overall $34.99, digital codes can only be purchased with credit cards).

-Toys R Us: $15 gift card if you buy one $59.99 game or $40 gift card if you buy two $59.99 (in-store only, check your local ad since that one may depend on location)

Touch

cuevas said:
Eh it depends who you are playing with and against. If I'm rolling with 2 or 3 teammates in blops we have a constant stream of uavs, counters, and blackbirds during the entire match.
Well of course, same with my friends and I on MW2. No doubt there is something in the air but also we make it so the enemy doesn't have anything. :lol I guess the enemy in that case are the people with the issues with a bunch of things in the air. That just leads into a whole other topic of structure teams (or group of friends) vs team of randoms or smaller group. I mean the match would steamroll the same way in COD4. Even with on one helicopter being in the air.

Top Bottom