• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 |OT| Got 99 Problems, But Sales Ain't One.

Touch said:
Well of course, same with my friends and I on MW2. No doubt there is something in the air but also we make it so the enemy doesn't have anything. :lol I guess the enemy in that case are the people with the issues with a bunch of things in the air. That just leads into a whole other topic of structure teams (or group of friends) vs team of randoms or smaller group. I mean the match would steamroll the same way in COD4. Even with on one helicopter being in the air.
I think it's way easier to hide and get something in the air in mw2 than in blops though. Then some kid gets stacking killstreaks camping and there goes all the fun. Even in blops if a guy gets a chopper gunner it's boring because they take all the kills. Killing a whole team while in their spawn with your own gun is so much more satisfying. In mw2 you'd get blown up by a guy hiding with a noob tube and he'd get some bs killstreak before you could even get across the map.

def sim

fernoca said:
Well...
-Kmart: Buy MW3 get a 1 year Xbox Live for $40 (original price's $60) and a $15 gaming coupon. (Shopyourway-reward card needed -is free-)

-Amazon: Preorder MW3 get $25 off of a digital code for 12-months of Xbox Live (Overall $34.99, digital codes can only be purchased with credit cards).

-Toys R Us: $15 gift card if you buy one $59.99 game or $40 gift card if you buy two $59.99 (in-store only, check your local ad since that one may depend on location)

Wait, I pre-ordered on Amazon. Oh shit yes, I didn't know. :D :D :D

Touch

cuevas said:
I think it's way easier to hide and get something in the air in mw2 than in blops though. Then some kid gets stacking killstreaks camping and there goes all the fun. Even in blops if a guy gets a chopper gunner it's boring because they take all the kills. Killing a whole team while in their spawn with your own gun is so much more satisfying. In mw2 you'd get blown up by a guy hiding with a noob tube and he'd get some bs killstreak before you could even get across the map.
Very much true. Although I think that's more of a issue that comes from the nature of the game itself. If someone is camping and kills me with an ACR or even a noobtube, more than once or twice, it's my fault. If my team gets killed by him after me, my fault as well for not warning etc. When said noobtubing camper gets a killstreak, it's more than likely our fault.

Unless we are talking about the cross map spawn tubes that kill 5 people, lead to predator, which leads to etc. That I will admit is broken and an extreme issue for MW2.

Victrix

*beard*
Beyond the removal of stupid shit like OMA toobing, the lack of a Harrier will have a significant impact on the amount of bullshit chains that average players can pull off.

Going Harrier into whatever was really, really easy, and that crutch is no longer there.

Also look at the assault killstreak distribution - there's a gap between pred at 5 and the heavy hitters at 9 - and Pave Low has been moved to 12 (its power getting the respect it deserves), and the only other offensive streaks between those numbers are Airstrike at 6 and Attack Heli at 7.

Osprey Gunner is at 17. Yeah you can get there from Reaper with a good spree, but Pred-Reaper-Osprey is a lot less shitty than Pred-Harrier-Chopper Gunner. 5-7-11 was too damn good (as was 5-7-9, due to pave low).

The addition of pointstreaks means that the 10-15 streaks are easier, but even so, it's still not as easy as going 4-5 kills, drop pred, drop harrier, drop cgunner/pave low/ac130 immediately.

Instead you get Pred... Attack Chopper/Airstrike? Or Pred, work your way to 9 for AH-6 or Reaper. Either way, it's far, far slower and harder than just mashing right on the dpad and suddenly piloting a lethal killstreak.

fernoca

rance said:
Wait, I pre-ordered on Amazon. Oh shit yes, I didn't know. :D :D :D
Yep. ;)

• Pre-order Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 for Xbox 360 and receive the Amazon exclusive American Special Forces avatar. The code for your avatar will be emailed within two days of your shipment.
  • Also get an exclusive MW3 Wallpaper. Once you place your order, you will receive an email providing directions for your download.
  • Additionally, get a $25 credit towards an Xbox LIVE 12 Month Gold Membership [Online Game Code] (the $25 credit can only be used towards the purchase of the online code for a 12 month subscription to Xbox Live and must be used by 11/19/2011).
  • Lastly, pre-order and get a $10 promotional credit towards the purchase of a Turtle Beach Call of Duty:MW3 Ear Force gaming Headset--Learn more. These offers will be extended to all existing pre-orders. Offer valid when shipped and sold by Amazon.com.
  • Amazon reserves the right to change or terminate this promotion at any time.
(Link)

You need to buy the (digital-12 months Live) code before November 19 though.

aku:jiki

cuevas said:
1 thing in the air is more than what happened in mw2?
Constant choppers with no Stinger can actually be a bigger pain in the ass than 2 Harriers and a PaveLow. In CoD4, you can end up spending the entire match spraying your RPD at constant choppers.

There's also the Deep Impact glitch, where the heli gets DI if your class has it, which means you get killed even in deep cover. I can totally see why someone might CoD4 more annoying in that respect. At least MW2 has Stinger and Cold-Blooded.

Shearie

To people who have the game, what are the barebones playlists like? Is it no kill/point streaks, perks, equipment, and attachments? Only no kill/point streaks? Or is there a playlist for both?

def sim

fernoca said:
Yep. ;)

• Pre-order Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 for Xbox 360 and receive the Amazon exclusive American Special Forces avatar. The code for your avatar will be emailed within two days of your shipment.
  • Also get an exclusive MW3 Wallpaper. Once you place your order, you will receive an email providing directions for your download.
  • Additionally, get a $25 credit towards an Xbox LIVE 12 Month Gold Membership [Online Game Code] (the $25 credit can only be used towards the purchase of the online code for a 12 month subscription to Xbox Live and must be used by 11/19/2011).
  • Lastly, pre-order and get a $10 promotional credit towards the purchase of a Turtle Beach Call of Duty:MW3 Ear Force gaming Headset--Learn more. These offers will be extended to all existing pre-orders. Offer valid when shipped and sold by Amazon.com.
  • Amazon reserves the right to change or terminate this promotion at any time.
(Link)

You need to buy the (digital-12 months Live) code before November 19 though.

This is great. I haven't paid full price for any games I've bought this fall and now I get the usual deal for Live conveniently tied to a separate purchase. I've mastered shopping.

KaYotiX

Banned
All I know is all be dropping Sam turrets in every game I'm in. Always hated when I was the only guy on our team with any sort of AA.

I really hope the killstreaks aren't insanely OP like in MW2, once you got on a roll you were pretty much unstoppable.

jgminto

Trying to grind in World at War is so annoying. I'm at level 20 right now but there are so many hackers. And they all just run or fly around invincible. They could at least be creative and do some fun lobby mods like 10x Sprint.

KaYotiX said:
All I know is all be dropping Sam turrets in every game I'm in. Always hated when I was the only guy on our team with any sort of AA.

I'll be trying out turrets now that they can't be hacked. While I liked the idea of hacking claymores and motion sensors in Blops, I feel Hacker really discouraged use of the SAM turret and sentry gun.

If you didn't babysit them, they could be turned against you, and that never seemed worth the risk. People just used other killstreaks.

LowParry

jgminto said:
Trying to grind in World at War is so annoying. I'm at level 20 right now but there are so many hackers. And they all just run or fly around invincible. They could at least be creative and do some fun lobby mods like 10x Sprint.

If you're trying to get that finished buy Tuesday.......it's not going to happen. lol - I gave up and glad I did.

aku:jiki

CcrooK said:
If you're trying to get that finished buy Tuesday.......it's not going to happen. lol - I gave up and glad I did.
Yeah, there's no way... What they did in WaW was make it take almost twice as much XP to reach the next level, but they didn't tweak how much XP you earn. So it takes like double the time it takes in any other CoD.

RiotPelaaja said:
No you dont. I can access it right now and have three tokes from previous Prestiges.
Send me an extra copy, T! ;)

RiotPelaaja said:
No you dont. I can access it right now and have three tokes from previous Prestiges.
So can you answer this-from the start can you use your three prestige tokens to unlock 3 weapons? Or do you gave to pick 3 different prestige awards?

MDavis360 said:
So can you answer this-from the start can you use your three prestige tokens to unlock 3 weapons? Or do you gave to pick 3 different prestige awards?

You can't unlock weapons until you have done your first prestige on MW3 (it was on the gamespot stream)

GlamFM

Banned
Oh my....

I guess I saw it coming.

Knowing how this game came to be after all this IW stuff happened, but man this game is.... not good.

Finished the SP in about 5:30 - it was OK-ish.

The MP is honestly a catastrophe. The maps are awefull and don´t feel like COD at all.
The graphics in MP are horrible - the game looks like homefront... only worse

I really expect a bunch of 70 or low 80 scores.

What a disappointment.

I guess this game might have been the disappointing game Geoff Keighley was talking about.

LowParry

GlamFM said:
The MP is honestly a catastrophe. The maps are awefull and don´t feel like COD at all.

You must be playing the beta.

Graphics in MP are superb, the netcode seems great and the framerate is superb. Take it from me, I played 412 hours of Blops and 200 hours of MW2 and now a few hours of MW3.

What is incredibly disappointing to me is that hardly any MP game modes list anything else in the scoreboard than Kills and Deaths. In Blops Domination Captures were listed which immediately showed who was playing "correct" and who was not. MW3 Domination doesnt list Captures which to me and my friends playing is super disappointing.

C_H_T

GlamFM said:
Oh my....

I guess I saw it coming.

Knowing how this game came to be after all this IW stuff happened, but man this game is.... not good.

What a disappointment.

I guess this game might have been the disappointing game Geoff Keighley was talking about.

RiotPelaaja said:
Graphics in MP are superb, the netcode seems great and the framerate is superb. Take it from me, I played 412 hours of Blops and 200 hours of MW2 and now a few hours of MW3.

What is incredibly disappointing to me is that hardly any MP game modes list anything else in the scoreboard than Kills and Deaths. In Blops Domination Captures were listed which immediately showed who was playing "correct" and who was not. MW3 Domination doesnt list Captures which to me and my friends playing is super disappointing.

Which version are you playing? Anybody played the PS3 version already?

GlamFM said:
Oh my....

I guess I saw it coming.

What a disappointment.

Care to spoil the SP for me in a PM?

GlamFM

Banned
RiotPelaaja said:

The graphics might be super awesome technically - but design and art are just poor.

no angel

Wow, there are some really polarised opinions from those who have got it early. From playing it at the XP event I already know I'm going to enjoy it but I'm disappointed for those that aren't.

LowParry

no angel said:
Wow, there are some really polarised opinions from those who have got it early. From playing it at the XP event I already know I'm going to enjoy it but I'm disappointed for those that aren't.

The main complaint I've seen so far is the whole UAV thing. Though people have options to counter that quite easily.

I'm looking forward to Max's impressions. Hopefully he'll have them up by Monday.

Touch

Just watched some nice M16 gameplay. Not sure if want to link. To those that have the game, how does the M16 compare to the Type 95?

GlamFM

Banned
Mihael Mello Keehl said:
so what you tellin me is.. the design of the graphics are poor?

You get what I mean. Relax Dude.

I´m really sorry for not linking the game as much as you want me to.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
no angel said:

My biggest complaints so far is the increased bullet damage and the dull uninteresting levels.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Brian Fellows said:
My biggest complaints so far is the increased bullet damage.

This. Will go into more details later, but this. Hard to imagine a COD with higher damage than MW2, but they did it.

Does anyone with the game know if there are weekly, monthly and all time leaderboards like in Black Ops? and also are they based on total kills or SPM?

LeMaximilian said:
This. Will go into more details later, but this. Hard to imagine a COD with higher damage than MW2, but they did it.
Really? I thought they added a bit of recoil and sway to prolong the medium-long range battles. Guess that didn't work out :/

Sealda

Banned
LeMaximilian said:

If this is true, i am disappoint. In COD4 if you had skillz, you could actually drop down, round corners, hide behind cars etc. to earn 0.5 seconds etc. so that you could finish of the other guy before he got you. in MW2, this became increasingly hard, which meant, 1 on 1 gunfights became way more simplified and boring.

GlamFM

Banned
Brian Fellows said:
My biggest complaints so far is the increased bullet damage and the dull uninteresting levels.

Bullet damage is ok for me - I always play hardcore anyway, but the maps are really dull...

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
celestial body said:
Does anyone with the game know if there are weekly, monthly and all time leaderboards like in Black Ops? and also are they based on total kills or SPM?

Really? I thought they added a bit of recoil and sway to extend the medium-long range battles a bit more. Guess that didn't work out :/

The long range is fine, and silencers considerably damper the range now. But the new map design philosophy of 'no choke points/no spawn trapping' has left the majority of the maps with a ton of stuff to hide behind. This forces folks with LMG's/Assault weapons which work best at mid-long range, to go and find opponents. But if you go up against an SMG in a 1 on 1 close battle...you literally have no chance. 3 bullets anywhere on the body is dead in MW3 by almost every gun. Many times, I feel like I die before I even realize I was being shot. As if you don't even take damage at times, you're just dead.

It's really hard to have a consistent performance in MW3. Getting close to 1st prestige, and my K/D is hovering around 2.4...which is the lowest I've had of any COD in the first weeks.

GlamFM said:
Bullet damage is ok for me - I always play hardcore anyway, but the maps are really dull...

Exactly. Normal gamemodes now feel like Hardcore even more than MW2 did.

Brian Fellows said:

To be fair I thought most of the MW2 levels were pretty boring bar a few, the desert levels don't do much for me but I like the snow levels, haven't seen any in the MW3 streams i've watched thus far, looks like a lot of indoor levels.

Untracked

LeMaximilian said:
But the new map design philosophy of 'no choke points/no spawn trapping' has left the majority of the maps with a ton of stuff to hide behind.
Please tell me it's not like Black Op's where the enemy team can spawn right behind you? To let them out of a spawn trap. Was that ever fixed in Blops? I quit cos of that shit.

Map control is the fun of Cod for me... oh god.

GlamFM

Banned
kyo_daikun said:
To be fair I thought most of the MW2 levels were pretty boring bar a few, the desert levels don't do much for me but I like the snow levels, haven't seen any in the MW3 streams i've watched thus far, looks like a lot of indoor levels.

COD 4, MW2 and BLOPS maps had a lot more variety.

GlamFM said:
COD 4, MW2 and BLOPS maps had a lot more variety.
That's what's surpirsed me looking at the videos, say what you want about the layout itself but in MW2 we had widly different environments like Favela, Highrise, Afghan, Terminal etc. these new maps look all like variations of strike, crash and overgrown. Aesthetically at least they look boring as shit.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Untracked said:
Please tell me it's not like Black Op's where the enemy team can spawn right behind you? To let them out of a spawn trap. Was that ever fixed in Blops?

Map control is the fun of Cod for me... oh god.

Well, I get killed by an awful lot of enemies where the killcam shows ME killing him and then he runs up and and kills me...if that makes sense. Also could be because I'm trying to pressure the spawn and get kills.

Untracked

LeMaximilian said:
Well, I get killed by an awful lot of enemies where the killcam shows ME killing him and then he runs up and and kills me...if that makes sense. Also could be because I'm trying to pressure the spawn and get kills.
I don't understand how they kill you after you've killed them? Do you mean it looks like you should have killed them, but they didn't die?

Sorry, I'm confused lol. That sounds like lag.

Edit: Do you mean he's spawning very close and he's right back on you instantly? If so, that does not sound good. At all :(

Dexa

Banned
celestial body said:
That's what's surpirsed me looking at the videos, say what you want about the layout itself but in MW2 we had widly different environments like Favela, Highrise, Afghan, Terminal etc. these new maps look all like variations of strike, crash and overgrown. Aesthetically at least they look boring as shit.

true - never thought about that in mw2.

Feindflug

GlamFM said:
You get what I mean. Relax Dude.

I´m really sorry for not linking the game as much as you want me to.

I haven't seen much of the MP yet but I have to agree that the game looked kinda bland in the SP (played the 360 version) - besides two levels that looked pretty awesome and maybe were the best showcase of the CoD engine till now the game overall looked worse than Black Ops & MW2, really inconsistent-looking game...the frame-rate though was very good with some small drops here and there but overall it was very smooth even at the most crowded and demanding situations.

The SP was a fun ride overall (4:49 @ Normal) - the absence of enemy respawns was enough for me to enjoy the game more than I expected.

LeMaximilian said:
The long range is fine, and silencers considerably damper the range now. But the new map design philosophy of 'no choke points/no spawn trapping' has left the majority of the maps with a ton of stuff to hide behind. This forces folks with LMG's/Assault weapons which work best at mid-long range, to go and find opponents. But if you go up against an SMG in a 1 on 1 close battle...you literally have no chance. 3 bullets anywhere on the body is dead in MW3 by almost every gun. Many times, I feel like I die before I even realize I was being shot. As if you don't even take damage at times, you're just dead.

It's really hard to have a consistent performance in MW3. Getting close to 1st prestige, and my K/D is hovering around 2.4...which is the lowest I've had of any COD in the first weeks.

Sounds like the maps will be more shotty friendly then like with CoD4?

And although there are fewers choke points right now, I assume that there are at least a couple of areas on the map where you find you at least need to be careful rather than rush through so that you don't get sniped or shot at by someone with an AR or LMG, right? Because I hated maps like hazard and silo where you had too many areas with absolutely no cover including long straight hallways.

Untracked said:
Edit: Do you mean he's spawning very close and he's right back on you instantly? If so, that does not sound good. At all :(
Anything that reduces and discourages spawn trapping is a good thing. I never go near domination game modes because it seems like it's just spawn trapping most of the time.

Top Bottom