• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 |OT| Got 99 Problems, But Sales Ain't One.

That spawning sounds very much like Black Ops in its initial stages, where you rarely feel safe and alone.

Hopefully it gets fixed, like Treyarch did like Black Ops, because it makes predicting spawns and positioning yourself correctly much more difficult.

GlamFM

Banned
Mihael Mello Keehl said:
to tell the truth no the fuck I dont...of all seriousness no joking can you explain?

Shit at 60 FPS still looks like shit - at 60 FPS.

It might be technically awesome shit, but it the end it´s still.... you get it....

Level design is really bad in MW3. Like really bad.

If I had to rate my CODs (only the MP aspect) it would be:

1:COD4
2:MW2
3:BLOPS
4:WAW
5:MW3

_Alkaline_ said:
That spawning sounds very much like Black Ops in its initial stages, where you rarely feel safe and alone.

Hopefully it gets fixed, like Treyarch did like Black Ops, because it makes predicting spawns and positioning yourself correctly much more difficult.

Except LeMaxillian said he was trying to spawn trap them.

If you don't wan't a guy with the juiced deathstreak (which when combined with smg/shotty, marathon, and a lightweight proficiency should be enough to quickly go for a revenge kill) to quickly run back for you and catch you offguard/reloading, don't spawn trap.

TestOfTide said:
Except LeMaxillian said he was trying to spawn trap them.

If you don't wan't a guy with the juiced deathstreak (which when combined with smg/shotty, marathon, and a lightweight proficiency should be enough to quickly go for a revenge kill) to quickly run back for you and catch you offguard/reloading, don't spawn trap.

Nothing wrong with spawn trapping, provided it doesn't reach the extent where even good players simply can't get out.

A good team uses spawns to their advantage - you have to trap them in the first place which is easier said than done (depending on the caliber of players you're facing, of course). It's a legitimate tactic, albeit a little unfair on novice players.

Judging from Max's impressions, it seems clear that IW wanted to get rid of it big-time and thus make spawns more variable. That's ok, but not when they're putting spawns directly behind you - that's a big no no and makes playing consistently well very difficult.

Map knowledge and awareness is a huge skill in CoD - let's not take that away from the series. Especially when bullets are killing you faster than ever.

Accident

Touch said:
Just watched some nice M16 gameplay. Not sure if want to link. To those that have the game, how does the M16 compare to the Type 95?

The M16 was my favorite gun in previous COD and I already got the gold camo for it in MW3. I haven't put much time into the type 95, but it seems to me that both weapons are really underpowered this time compared to full automatics. The M16 is still great in hardcore and I've been playing almost exclusively with it in hardcore, but in core, it feels like IW decreased the power of burst weapons and increased the power of every other weapon :/

The rest of the game seems pretty balanced so far, I still haven't found any weapon, perk or killstreak that feel overpowered.

X26

Banned
The more impressions I read the more it seems like IW ignored all the great changes Treyarch made to COD MP

harrytang

GlamFM said:
Shit at 60 FPS still looks like shit - at 60 FPS.

It might be technically awesome shit, but it the end it´s still.... you get it....

Level design is really bad in MW3. Like really bad.

If I had to rate my CODs (only the MP aspect) it would be:

is this how you like to get attention? come into a forum trying to kill hype by spewing hyperbolic comments?

ive watched the streams, seen the videos. shit looks great. cant wait. same type of map variety as mw2. blops was one wharehouse after another. got old quick for me.

no angel

_Alkaline_ said:
Nothing wrong with spawn trapping, provided it doesn't reach the extent where even good players simply can't get out.

A good team uses spawns to their advantage - you have to trap them in the first place which is easier said than done (depending on the caliber of players you're facing, of course). It's a legitimate tactic, albeit a little unfair on novice players.

Judging from Max's impressions, it seems clear that IW wanted to get rid of it big-time and thus make spawns more variable. That's ok, but not when they're putting spawns directly behind you - that's a big no no and makes playing consistently well very difficult.

Map knowledge and awareness is a huge skill in CoD - let's not take that away from the series. Especially when bullets are killing you faster than ever.
This is actually a really good point, and to be fair I've only played one map so this wouldn't have been apparent to me. Even disregarding spawn trapping there's alot to be said for reading spawn changes and adjusting your play accordingly, sounds like this is going to be difficult now.

And now I'm worried. Thanks guys!!

Touch

Accident said:
The M16 was my favorite gun in previous COD and I already got the gold camo for it in MW3. I haven't put much time into the type 95, but it seems to me that both weapons are really underpowered this time compared to full automatics. The M16 is still great in hardcore and I've been playing almost exclusively with it in hardcore, but in core, it feels like IW decreased the power of burst weapons and increased the power of every other weapon :/

The rest of the game seems pretty balanced so far, I still haven't found any weapon, perk or killstreak that feel overpowered.
Hmm. In videos I have been watching it seemed like both the M16 and Type 95 were taking down people pretty decent (like 1-2 burst). The SMG/AR enemies were running through them at times for sure. The M16 has been one of my favorite guns since well, COD4 :lol op. It was toned down quite a bit in MW2 but I still play with it all the time even got Fall on it on multiple accounts. Hopefully, it isn't that bad.

Just curious, how is the ACR 6.8, in your opinion? Again from videos, it looks basically like the MW2.

Can't wait till Tuesday morning to figure out all these things myself :D

GlamFM

Banned
harrytang said:
is this how you like to get attention? come into a forum trying to kill hype by spewing hyperbolic comments?

ive watched the streams, seen the videos. shit looks great. cant wait. same type of map variety as mw2. blops was one wharehouse after another. got old quick for me.

You´ve watched streams - I´ve played the game...

My comment might be hyperbolic, yours it no less.

And btw... same type of map veriety as in MW2 is simply not true.

harrytang

Untracked said:
I really hope there's nothing this bad in MW3.

this is unrealistic, but i share your sentiment. just wait until millions are playing the game and testing the systems in place. flaws will become apparent quickly, especially with spawns. shit will get adjusted. just hoping no javelin glitch bullshit, even though it was hilarious so see those dudes coming up.

GlamFM said:
You´ve watched streams - I´ve played the game...

My comment might be hyperbolic, yours it no less.

ok great. be quiet now.

harrytang said:
this is unrealistic, but i share your sentiment. just wait until millions are playing the game and testing the systems in place. flaws will become apparent quickly, especially with spawns. shit will get adjusted. just hoping no javelin glitch bullshit, even though it was hilarious so see those dudes coming up.

ok great. be quiet now.
eh.. just let him be,we'll see come monday night/tuesday.

aku:jiki

GlamFM said:
It's weird how all your comments about MW3 maps are basically only about the aesthetics, but then you rank CoD4 as #1? Do you remember that it only has two types of maps; bombed out arab neighborhood and industrial stuff (crates, warehouses)? The map pack brought variety with Chinatown, Creek, Killhouse and Broadcast (I think?), but the base game had only brown houses and grey crates so it's pretty unfair to call MW3 out for something which you're praising CoD4 for. Also, WaW is the brown-grayest game ever made, I have no idea what argument you could possibly have for it having more variety or flavor than MW3.

You're allowed to hate MW3 all you want, but at least make some sense!

Jrmint

Just finally watched the live action trailer. That definitely is Jonah Hill and Sam Worthington, I thought you guys were doubting it or something.

GlamFM

Banned
aku:jiki said:
It's weird how all your comments about MW3 maps are basically only about the aesthetics, but then you rank CoD4 as #1? Do you remember that it only has two types of maps; bombed out arab neighborhood and industrial stuff (crates, warehouses)? The map pack brought variety with Chinatown, Creek, Killhouse and Broadcast (I think?), but the base game had only brown houses and grey crates so it's pretty unfair to call MW3 out for something which you're praising CoD4 for. Also, WaW is the brown-grayest game ever made, I have no idea what argument you could possibly have for it having more variety or flavor than MW3.

You're allowed to hate MW3 all you want, but at least make some sense!

But they all played differently.

I´m gonna stop now.

You will all see for yourself what I mean in two days.

It´s really hard to argue with people who haven´t played the game, but seem to know everything about it.

GlamFM said:

I´m gonna stop now.

It´s really hard to argue with people who haven´t played the game, but seem to know everything about it.

You should have said this rather than talk about the looks of the maps, that's whats annoying/ confusing people.

I can see how not having choke points etc would make the maps pretty samey.

bobs99 ... said:
Throw Jungle in and that would be a pretty good map pack. :p (No sarcasm at all, honestly, I would love that.)

Haha fair play, I did like jungle but the 2 I mentioned were just my most hated, I think because they were constantly coming up, I did like the majority of Black Op's maps.

X26 said:
firing range is a great map, why the hate

Some of the layout just did my nut in, I was good at it but I just didn't like it. Like I said firing range and nuke town just seem to come up all the time, when I used to get summit it was like a rare treat

Angry Fork

GlamFM said:

I´m gonna stop now.

I think people are getting upset because most people in this thread want to enjoy this game. When they say they want impressions they want positive feedback because everyone in here is going to get it anyway. They don't want to hear a buzz kill come in and shit up the game talking about how bad it is because then it gets them disappointed/worried.

Its fine to give feedback saying that lots of shit being in the air sucks, or quickscoping sucks etc. because they're used to that but saying MW3 is worse than WaW is pretty over the top I think. The game isn't even out yet, you've played it for what 2-3 days? and you're saying it's the worst COD. Come on dude have you even gotten time to memorize/get used to the maps yet?

If you legitimately hate the game and think the maps are trash fine but don't be surprised if you get opposition because the way you're saying it sounds hyperbolic rather than a thought-out honest opinion.

Kyoufu said:
I want a COD4 classic map pack.
This would make me get Elite, so they're probably going to make people pay for it to wring in people like me -_-

GlamFM said:

I´m gonna stop now.

Well I've played the game and have to disagree wholeheartedly. While the maps do lack some variety, and I wish they used some more of the awesome locales that are in the campaign, there is as much if not more map variety in this than any of the previous CODs.

As far as map layouts go, it's not that the maps are poorly designed, it's just that AT FIRST they seem a bit maze-y, which stems from an intentional design choice to try and eliminate choke points. There are a lot more options to flank on any given map now because there is never just a single route to get somewhere. If you're a player that likes to stay mobile then this is a good thing.

zeelman

hamchan said:
Bleh. The wonders a MP beta would do for this game.

Betas are not magical things that can fix every problem a game has, especially if they're not the complete game. The COD4 beta didn't fix the fact that certain attachments on guns decreased their damage, or how the ACOG scope on the M40A3 raises the damage so its a one hit kill anywhere when using Stopping Power. The WAW beta didn't fix the overpowered MP40/Juggernaut combo.

Angry Fork

zeelman said:
Betas are not magical things that can fix every problem a game has, especially if they're not the complete game. The COD4 beta didn't fix the fact that certain attachments on guns decreased their damage, or how the ACOG scope on the M40A3 raises the damage so its a one hit kill anywhere when using Stopping Power. The WAW beta didn't fix the overpowered MP40/Juggernaut combo.
It would still fix a shit ton of problems. Having a beta is always better than not having one, why would someone argue against it? lol

They don't do it because they don't have the time though, which is understandable but I wish Activision wouldn't be such dicks about the 2 year deadline. Let it go on for 2-3 months longer and they can get a beta in there.

I remember my early impressions of most of the MW2 maps being negative early on. You're just learning them, and your probably not doing so well, and it's frustrating. Then the maps become more familiar and things start clicking.

I'm really looking forward to this game right now. I've always felt the IW COD games were better than the Treyarch made games. I've never prestiged in WaW or BLOPS, but I've prestiged more than 10 between MW1 and MW2.

zeelman said:

Theres a LOT wrong with this post.

Do you really think anyone believes that betas fix every...single...problem with the game??? If so your insane. but even if a beta only picks up 25% of the potential issues with the game they are worth doing.

One example is, even though the WAW beta didnt fix the MP40/Juggernaut combo, it did fix the glitching into the ground issues.

Im pretty dissapointed that they didnt have a beta, especially after the clusterfuck that was MW2.

BruiserBear said:
I remember my early impressions of most of the MW2 maps being negative early on. You're just learning them, and your probably not doing so well, and it's frustrating. Then the maps become more familiar and things start clicking.

I'm really looking forward to this game right now. I've always felt the IW COD games were better than the Treyarch made games. I've never prestiged in WaW or BLOPS, but I've prestiged more than 10 between MW1 and MW2.
Yeah, it always takes a while for maps to click for me. Until you know them well it's hard to judge, I think.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
BruiserBear said:
I always feel this way as well. The first few days are extremely frustrating because I don't know my way around the maps and am getting killed from the side/back 75% of the time.

As for the consensus that the maps are small, I actually don't mind – I prefer smaller maps.

legacyzero

Banned
vatstep said:
I always feel this way as well. The first few days are extremely frustrating because I don't know my way around the maps and am getting killed from the side/back 75% of the time.

As for the consensus that the maps are small, I actually don't mind – I prefer smaller maps.
exactly.

The maps from MW2 were horrible cluster fucks. And they made me hate verticality in maps. It was just another direction to get fucking blown up from :/

legacyzero said:
exactly.

The maps from MW2 were horrible cluster fucks. And they made me hate verticality in maps. It was just another direction to get fucking blown up from :/
It's funny how opinions vary on this stuff. I loved almost all the maps in MW2.

DRE Fei said:

It's not 5 times faster as he makes it out to be because you would also be getting extra exp. when calling in any of the point streaks from any of your other classes as well, but it is a little bit faster just because of how quickly you can earn those bonuses with hardline. 400xp for one kill? YES PLEASE.

Kyoufu

johnFkennedy said:
It's not 5 times faster as he makes it out to be because you would also be getting extra exp. when calling in any of the point streaks from any of your other classes as well, but it is a little bit faster just because pf how quickly you can earn those bonuses with hardline. 400xp for one kill? YES PLEASE.

Pretty awesome for those who don't get killer k/d ratios. I usually suck balls until I get enough practice with my desired weapons/perks, so this is good for me :D

CherryWoodFuton said:
Quick question: Will the regular game be sold out in stores? I didn't reserve because I've been on the fence but now I'm considering picking it up....

You won't have an issue getting the regular edition.

Respawn

Banned
CherryWoodFuton said:
Quick question: Will the regular game be sold out in stores? I didn't reserve because I've been on the fence but now I'm considering picking it up....
You can still reserve it. Just do it online and then pick up in the store so you're guaranteed a copy. On the other hand I doubt you'll have a problem picking one up on the 8th.

Hyunkel6

CherryWoodFuton said:
Any major retailer will have buckloads of copies. There is no way they are going to be sold out. You might stand in line for a bit though depending on when you go.

If anyone can PM me a stream, much appreciated.

M.W.

GlamFM said:

I´m gonna stop now.

I know plenty of people who have played it, they all love it.

Top Bottom