• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 |OT| Got 99 Problems, But Sales Ain't One.

hamchan

eemijun said:
Still can't decide if I should keep my hardened edition pre-ordered. I need some advice.

I can't even get a hardened edition where I live since it's sold out everywhere. So yeah, keep it I say.

Dreaver

Any GAF multiplayer opinions yet? I think I've read one in the past few pages.
I'm really curious how the multipalyer will be.

Call of Duty 4 is one of the best multiplayer games of all time in my opinion. Modern Warfare 2 was unbalanced as fuck but I enjoyed it a lot nonetheless and played it quite a lot.
Black Ops was better balanced but played less good / was less fun overall in my opinion.

Dreaver said:
Any GAF multiplayer opinions yet? I think I've read one in the past few pages.
I'm really curious how the multipalyer will be.

Call of Duty 4 is one of the best multiplayer games of all time in my opinion. Modern Warfare 2 was unbalanced as fuck but I enjoyed it a lot nonetheless and played it quite a lot.
Black Ops was better balanced but played less good / was less fun overall in my opinion.

COD4 was a classic. Every COD after was garbage.

If MW3 can bring back that MW1 balance and awesomeness... I'll play it.

Victrix

*beard*
MW3 is the best of MW1 and MW2.

But I'm afraid it has no RPD, so it is doomed to failure.

(... ok I'll accept the PKP as a suitable russian substitute)

Beepos

So I really want to get into MW3 PC after starting the serious on BLOPS. Now as an Aussie I have a feeling the p2p for online for PC is going to horrible. Should I just skip this title because lag is the number one issue I have for any online games.

Any Aussies that played MW2 PC tell me of their experiences? Otherwise I'm just going to stick to BF.

(I know you can play dedicated unranked, but I really do enjoy the whole stats, unlock, prestige side of COD)

aku:jiki

BoobPhysics101 said:
COD4 was a classic. Every COD after was garbage.

If MW3 can bring back that MW1 balance and awesomeness... I'll play it.
MW2 was just as balanced and even more well-produced than CoD4, with the exception of the crazier playstyles they tried to introduce (infinite-tubing, knifing-as-primary, super-quickscoping, etc). Aside from those, MW2 is better than CoD4 in every respect.

Personally, I'm really only bothered by tubers and tac-knifers anymore. Knifers are the worst since they never really play for their own gain or trying to win, they're basically just trolling your spawn with their shitty teleport-o-knife.

Tetrasides

Neo Member
The official Call of Duty Elite application has been released on the Xbox LIVE Dashboard - it can be downloaded via Games on Demand (where I found it in Australia) and it is around 99 Megabytes.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
I think i'm going to try to pull the sympathy card and get the game early.

Getting a gnarly cold
have training at work tomorrow
might not be able to attend midnight release, as the gamestop i pre-ordered at is next to my school, like 20 miles away from where i actually live. ughhghghghgh

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Fuck me, just picked up MW3. I have enough games for a while, one even being an online FPS that i am enjoying so far. But then this morning as i was shopping, i stopped by a gamestore with lots people buying it, and when i had the box in my hands, i couldn't resist the urge since i also had a 50% off coupon from another promotion.

The_Player said:
My. God. This is just MW2.5. Sounds, Voice, Models, Animation, UI - everything came unchanged directly from previous MW games. It looks pathetic.
No, it's even 100% the exact same game. Nothing has changed. SP is the same and MP is the same. It is in fact MW2 with a MW3 cover on the box. Do not be fooled or tricked.
No sound was changed. No graphic was changed. Do not buy this product. It's not a real sequel. Cause a real sequel would be a totally different game.

seriously though, if you feel this way, don't buy it and play a game you do like.

jgminto

Just over 3 hours until I'll have my hands on MW3. I'm so damn excited. Probably going to play a few rounds of MP with my bro before pulling an all nighter with the campaign.

Dreaver

aku:jiki said:
MW2 was just as balanced and even more well-produced than CoD4, with the exception of the crazier playstyles they tried to introduce (infinite-tubing, knifing-as-primary, super-quickscoping, etc). Aside from those, MW2 is better than CoD4 in every respect.

Personally, I'm really only bothered by tubers and tac-knifers anymore. Knifers are the worst since they never really play for their own gain or trying to win, they're basically just trolling your spawn with their shitty teleport-o-knife.
Just as balanced? Are you serious? Model 1887 says hi!
Nade spam, chopper gunner, harriers, UMP .45, Commando and loads of other things made the game unbalanced.

And there are other things that made it a worse game as well in my opinion. (Deathstreaks can fuck off).

More options isn't always better. Call of Duty 4 had a few flaws but was almost perfect in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong, I loved Modern Warfare 2. But it is/was NOT balanced.

+Aliken+

Victrix said:
But I'm afraid it has no RPD, so it is doomed to failure.
(... ok I'll accept the PKP as a suitable russian substitute)

That's actually the think which is annoying me the most!
I love my RPD :(

demolitio

Dreaver said:
Nade spam, chopper gunner, harriers, UMP .45, Commando and loads of other things made the game unbalanced.

And there are other things that made it a worse game as well in my opinion. (Deathstreaks can fuck off).

More options isn't always better. Call of Duty 4 had a few flaws but was almost perfect in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong, I loved Modern Warfare 2. But it is/was NOT balanced.
Agreed. No way in hell MW2 was just as balanced, otherwise all those fixes Treyarch did for Black Ops based on fan input were pointless. They helped out a lot and MW3 even acknowledges some of the balance issues in MW2 and addressed it again.

I've been saying less is sometimes more a lot lately and it holds true still in a lot of games. I just fear MW3 will have way too much going on in terms of killstreaks and even more balance issues once people figure them out and exploit them. It's all about whether they can put aside arrogance in thinking that the game is perfect and actually listening to the fans. Based on some of the PC info, I'm not so sure...lol

Yes, I'm still buying the game but I still have some fears I hope to squash tomorrow night.

amar212

I really do not want to sound harsh, but sir - you are insane.

COD4 was the last balanced COD in terms of multiplayer.

Every "improvement" made in later games just led to exponential rise of non-balance.

Dreaver said:
Are you serious? The Model 1887's were patched like a month after release, they haven't been unbalanced for two years. And nade spam? CoD4 was the one with the 3x Frags perk, in a tier where not much else was interesting. It had far, far more nade spam than any other CoD. No idea what you mean by mentioning the UMP and Commando was one of the crazy playstyles I mentioned in my post.

The only thing I'd agree with is Harriers. I'm not sure they're actually unbalanced though. The Harrier can be taken out with one easy Stinger and while the PaveLow has flares, it usually doesn't sniper-target you as you're locking on (which the Harrier does). Air support is very, very easy to deal with, it's just that most people can't be bothered. People being lazy does not make the game unbalanced.

amar212 said:

Every "improvement" made in later games just led to exponential rise of non-balance.

To suggest Black Ops is less balanced than MW2 is crazy talk.

jgminto

amar212 said:

CoD 4 had it's fair share of unbalanced shit as well. Last Stand, Martyrdom, Juggernaut, Stopping Power, Double Tap, super accurate helicopters, double claymores. People remember CoD 4 as if it's perfect but it still has issues.

Dreaver

Are you serious? The Model 1887's were patched like a month after release, they haven't been unbalanced for two years. And nade spam? CoD4 was the one with the 3x Frags perk, in a tier where not much else was interesting. It had far, far more nade spam than any other CoD. No idea what you mean by mentioning the UMP and Commando was one of the crazy playstyles I mentioned in my post.

The only thing I'd agree with is Harriers. I'm not sure they're actually unbalanced though. The Harrier can be taken out with one easy Stinger and while the PaveLow has flares, it usually doesn't sniper-target you as you're locking on (which the Harrier does). Air support is very, very easy to deal with, it's just that most people can't be bothered. People being lazy does not make the game unbalanced.
A month is a pretty long time in my opinion. There were just loads of things that made the game unbalanced. (You might be right with Nades, but they were still bad).

If you really think Modern Warfare 2 as just as balanced as Call of Duty 4 you probably have another understanding of the word 'balanced'.

I have no idea in what state the game is right now, but the first MONTHS after Modern Warfare 2 released it was really unbalanced.

And no, I'm not calling the game unfair or unbalanced because I suck. I think I am a very decent CoD player.

Card Boy

Banned
amar212 said:

No just no.

As the above poster said Stopping Power, Juggernaut, Martydom, Last Stand, Noobtube, Massive knife lunge, Nade spam and kill streak spam (on PC)

At least the nades in MW2 and Black Ops where nerfed from their COD4/W@W counterparts.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Well I caved in... I'm at the midnight launch. It's pretty mild here in Melbourne. The crowd was chanting "we want Skyrim" lol

Has this been released worldwide already? Australia ticks over to launch day in an 1 hour and 45 mins.

Also, it's good to see Aku:jiki's opinion getting even further marginalised in here. The guy is loopy when it comes to Call of Duty.

MW2 was the most unbalanced, unfocused game in the series. If MW3 is anything like it, it'll be a turd on arrival.

Dan Yo

Banned
Is the Type 95 the new Famas (MW2)?

Also, can anyone confirm that the damage increase makes the guns do as much damage as if stopping power were turned on? Or is it somewhere in between?

Radec

Dan Yo said:
Is the Type 95 the new Famas (MW2)?

Also, can anyone confirm that the damage increase makes the guns do as much damage as if stopping power were turned on? Or is it somewhere in between?
yes. and based on the videos ive seen, yes again.

Dreaver said:
A month is a pretty long time in my opinion. There were just loads of things that made the game unbalanced. (You might be right with Nades, but they were still bad).
A month is a long time, I do agree there, but to be fair to IW, people weren't rocking 1887's on day one. It was a level 65 unlock, so it took a few weeks before they became a plague.

There was a far worse problem before these first patches, at least for europeans, in that it would always prefer american hosts. It was barely playable for a while there.

Dreaver said:
And no, I'm not calling the game unfair or unbalanced because I suck. I think I am a very decent CoD player.
No, I don't believe you do, but I'm not seeing a flood of arguments for why MW2 was unbalanced either. Yes, there were the crazy styles and they're retarded but beside that, the gun-on-gun balance was absolutely fine. There are a few minor failures, like the UMP's damage at range or the RPD's damage at any range (it's pretty overpowered), but every CoD has had that. CoD4 has the infamously over-strong M16 with red dot and ACOG sniping. The MP5 was pretty insane too.

Also, CoD4 has the glitch where if you get a heli and die before calling it in, the heli will get you a new one. And if your class has Deep Impact, the bullets on the heli get them too. The Harrier is obviously overpowered, but no killstreak in MW2 is that busted, or that hard to take down.

amar212

Gez said:
No just no.

As the above poster said Stopping Power, Juggernaut, Martydom, Last Stand, Noobtube, Massive knife lunge, Nade spam and kill streak spam (on PC)

At least the nades in MW2 and Black Ops where nerfed from their COD4/W@W counterparts.

I made 14 prestiges (10 on one, 4 on other profile) on COD4 (it is NOT something I am proud of, amount of time spent there is just illogical from today's perspective) and I have never, ever had any issues with SP, MD, LS, NT or 3X grenades. Notice I did 90% of that playing exclusively Team Tactical.

You could really deal with any of them with proper counter-tactics and none were game-breakers IMO.

However, all later games were crazy IMO and much, much more less-balanced.

Dan Yo

Banned
Radec said:
yes. and based on the videos ive seen, yes again.
Plays just as if stopping power were on? Very good news. Thanks.

Do kill streaks count towards the next kill streak again or did they go the Black Ops route?

Respawn

Banned
Accident said:
I swear, most people playing tonight were speaking french! at least on hardcore domination.

85k+ on the leaderboards right now.
Well hopefully that all gets reset at midnight.

KingDizzi

Banned
Respawn said:

85K is nothing considering the PS3/360 leaderboards will be well in excess of 3 million each by the time this week is over. I'm going to kill so many people, so so so so many. Lovefilm said they dispatched the game so should hopefully be getting it tomorrow. Going to start with MP for a couple weeks and then play SP because the MW SP games are actually worthwhile.

sweetfish

Gold Member
Kermit The Dog said:
Has this been released worldwide already? Australia ticks over to launch day in an 1 hour and 45 mins.

Also, it's good to see Aku:jiki's opinion getting even further marginalised in here. The guy is loopy when it comes to Call of Duty.

MW2 was the most unbalanced, unfocused game in the series. If MW3 is anything like it, it'll be a turd on arrival.

I don't know why you are so butthurt over Aku:jiki, but could we try to not turn this thread into a shit slinging fest, pretty please?

Radec

Dan Yo said:
Plays just as if stopping power were on? Very good news. Thanks.

Do kill streaks count towards the next kill streak again or did they go the Black Ops route?

It's in the OP bro :D

Jrmint

Does anyone know if the UMP is still as OP as ever, or was it nerfed?

Also how is this 360 clan going to work? We listed our names on here, but not sure what happens now?

amar212 said:
I have never, ever had any issues with SP, MD, LS, NT or 3X grenades. Notice I did 90% of that playing exclusively Team Tactical..
I have to ask though... How did you counter a perfectly cooked frag in CoD4 or a guy with Juggernaut and a shotgun and how do you figure that, say, quickscopers in MW2 are impossible to counter? I just don't see it. The worst part of MW2 is the tubing and it does suck ass, but I don't think one imbalance means the whole game is completely and utterly broken. (It does have a large impact that can sour you on the game, obviously, but tubing being stupid doesn't mean that, for example, an M4 is drastically imbalanced compared to a SCAR.)

Accident

Respawn said:

I really doubt they'll reset the leaderboards, the game is already out in western australia.

for what it's worth, In 14 hours of gameplay, I only came across one person that have reached 1st prestige.

Mik2121

Respawn said:
Site still seems weird. Has me logged in as Elite13.

edit: Nope still down even after I logged out and went back in.
Weird. I can see all my stats for Black Ops. The emblems are still missing, and overall the site is kinda slow, but yeah.. it's working.

Well... looks like the launch party in Toronto is going to be massive. Almost every local newspaper has the game in frontpage. Just saw a crashed helicopter from Vietnam era at Yonge/Dundas Square. $10 says it's for Modern Warfare 3.

CozMick

Banned
I ain't been reading much about CoD: Elite as I wasn't interested until today....

Does Microsoft still hold the timed exclusive map packs? if so what's the deal with that if I become an Elite member? :\

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
CozMick said:
I ain't been reading much about CoD: Elite as I wasn't interested until today....

Does Microsoft still hold the timed exclusive map packs? if so what's the deal with that if I become an Elite member? :\

DMeisterJ

Banned
Amazon charged my account! No turning back on this now, Doing all my HW for my Wednesdya classes tonight so as soon as I get home tomorrow, I can directly inject this game into my 360 and play away.

Big banner on YouTube homepage says "In stores now". o_O This game kind of crept up on me. I haven't been hyped for a CoD title since MW2 but I always wind up buying them first day. I guess I can I stop by EB during my lunch break tomorrow...

Top Bottom