• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 |OT| Got 99 Problems, But Sales Ain't One.

Cutwolf

Am I crazy for buying this on 360 despite having the horses to max it out at 60+ fps on PC?

I'm very worried about cheating. If cheating becomes widespread, as I heard it was in mw2 on pc, I'll just stop playing. I don't have to worry about that on the 360.

We just posted our review online. We've split the review into two parts, one for singleplayer and one for MP (just like we did with our BF3 review). That'll give us more time getting to know the game online.

PressFire.no: 6/6

The review talks about how similar BF3 and MW3 feels, gameplay wise. Seems like the game has a better story, though.

Battlefield 3 was the prettier game, but Modern Warfare is the better story wise. Where I got the feeling the singleplayer was something of an afterthought when DICE made their game, it feels like quite the opposite with the game delivered by Sledgehammer and Infinity Ward.

Apparently, you can skip all the shocking stuff like you could in MW2 - for those wondering.

The single player in Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 is well made, with a large degree of variation in the missions. Even though the story doesn't shock me, it's good and carries a nice continuity from the earlier games.

Why is the singleplayer better in Modern Warfare 3 than in the other shooter of the season, Battlefield 3? Simply because the story is better.

So it has a better story than another game, but is it actually good this time or we getting more of the silly nonsense we got in MW2?

Saying the gameplay feels similar between the two games makes it really hard to take the review seriously

Hanmik said:
why are you not going to buy MW3..?

A number of reasons. Mostly because we just had our first child (a little baby girl!) and I just don't have the free time I used to. Multiplayer games are the first cut right now. I'm still interested in seeing how the game is received, and I might pick it up at some point in the future if it the game turns out to be what I've wanted (the balance of Black Ops with the flow/speed/stability of MW2).

Hanmik

BattleMonkey said:
So it has a better story than another game, but is it actually good this time or we getting more of the silly nonsense we got in MW2?

Saying the gameplay feels similar between the two games makes it really hard to take the review seriously

and they bought the game from a store who broke street date.. lol .. and they write that the AI sucks..

muu

Cutwolf said:
Am I crazy for buying this on 360 despite having the horses to max it out at 60+ fps on PC?

I'm very worried about cheating. If cheating becomes widespread, as I heard it was in mw2 on pc, I'll just stop playing. I don't have to worry about that on the 360.

nothing crazy at all. Once you start playing you're shooting at anything that isn't your team and is moving anyway, graphics be damned. Having made the switch I think I prefer somewhat quirky controls and that trigger feel, on a modern day setting fps.

test_account

XP-39C²
Hanmik said:
does the constant shift of host have any effect on gameplay..? (or do hosts not change? )
Do you mean when it changes host while playing the game? If so, that has only happened one time to me so far. I cant say for sure if it changed anything. But the lag i mentioned, it has only been very few times, and it almost seemed random, which makes me think it is either the host or the player(s)'s fault, not the game.

The_Monk said:
Thanks for answering. It's the best and more fun method for me. :D
No problem, and i agree that unlocking the titles and emblems through challenges is much more fun than just buying them :)

Cutwolf

muu said:
nothing crazy at all. Once you start playing you're shooting at anything that isn't your team and is moving anyway, graphics be damned. Having made the switch I think I prefer somewhat quirky controls and that trigger feel, on a modern day setting fps.

I actually usually fps on consoles. I built a pc this past summer and bf3 was my first pc fps in years...probably since bf1942. Just didn't know if there were considerations, particularly wrt cheating, that I was missing.

The_Monk

divisionbyzorro said:
A number of reasons. Mostly because we just had our first child (a little baby girl!) and I just don't have the free time I used to. Multiplayer games are the first cut right now. I'm still interested in seeing how the game is received, and I might pick it up at some point in the future if it the game turns out to be what I've wanted (the balance of Black Ops with the flow/speed/stability of MW2).

Being a dad » any game

Congrats! You should get one Multiplayer game at least. One that you like and can go for a 10-20 min break or quick escape.

;)

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
I've played COD for 4 years straight on 360 and really close to switching to PC. How bad does the cheating get if I strictly just play the P2P ranked servers like search and destroy? Is it as bad as I hear it is with the videos using aimbots/red border box to show where enemies are

BattleMonkey said:

Erhm, I could probably have worded that post better. The review doesn't just compare the two games. Our reviewer is a fan of shooters in general, and thinks this singleplayer is top notch.

ace3skoot

FoxHimself said:
Apparently, you can skip all the shocking stuff like you could in MW2 - for those wondering.

wait what shocking stuff? i just finished the campaign theres nothing even close to "no russian"

anyway it plays pretty much identical to MW2 its a fun rolla coaster if you enjoyed MW2 i don't see why you wouldn't enjoy the SP campaign it pretty much looks, feels and plays the same, cool set pieces but engine is starting to show its age.

Effect

divisionbyzorro said:
Congrats!!!

The_Monk said:
Being a dad » any game

Congrats! You should get one Multiplayer game at least. One that you like and can go for a 10-20 min break or quick escape.

;)

I do. I play Team Fortress 2 on PC; I find it much more lighthearted and less stressful than CoD.

I'm sure I'll play this game at some point though, even if it is just a rental. It's not being as easy to quit cold turkey as I thought it would be ;)

zam

Singleplayer so far is pretty crazy and awesome, those two words sum it up in a nutshell. Time to try the multiplayer.

zam

ace3skoot said:
wait what shocking stuff? i just finished the campaign theres nothing even close to "no russian"
I'm only at the Hamburg level so far, but so far I've already
watched a little kid and her mother get blown up through the eyes of her father. Doesn't quite compare to a massacre of innocent civilians, but it isn't exactly tame either

Effect

Sometimes I wonder if Activision would make even more money if they would sell the single player sections of the games by itself in additional to the regular full game. I would bet a number of people hold off on the game because they don't have that much interest in the online and instead wait until it's low in price or get it used. Sell the online as DLC if one wants to get into it after the purchase.

Nelo Ice

Banned
snack said:
I say why not?

Only reason is all my friends are on 360, but besides that I presume PC version will be better and I prefer KB+M.

Also damnit I have a sudden need to fulfill my buy COD every year urge.

MRORANGE

if you live in HK and have steam you can start playing this game right now, the game unlocked like two hours ago.

a smug friend told me this :|

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Maybe I am LTTP here...

http://www.gamepro.com/article/news/224684/call-of-duty-elite-now-available-for-xbox-360/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+GameProNews+%28GamePro.com+Daily+News%29

GamePro said:
Stoked to get stuck in to Modern Warfare 3's multiplayer? The official Xbox app for the companion Call of Duty Elite service is now available to download from the Xbox Marketplace.

The app weighs in at 99.36MB and is free to download. Grabbing a copy and registering will net you two hours of double XP in multiplayer. You can also use it to upgrade your membership to an annual premium subscription for access to all Modern Warfare 3 DLC and the other Elite premium features.

AnEternalEnigma said:
My order status changed from "Not Shipped" to "Shipping Soon".
Same here. I live in Oklahoma, every now and then stuff comes from a Tulsa facility. So maybe they will ship it out later this afternoon or evening.

zam

Deadly Cyclone said:
So there is a CoD Elite app on the Xbox Marketplace now? And if you download it you get 2 hours of double XP?
The app is available for download now yes, but it doesn't seem to be 100% up and running. Didn't say anything about it when I started it, but I haven't played multiplayer yet so who knows.

Mik2121

I read somewhere that there would also be apps for iPad, iPhone and Android, etc..

Do you guys know when will they be ready? I would definitely love to check out Elite on my iPad...

Cheech

SteveO409 said:
I've played COD for 4 years straight on 360 and really close to switching to PC. How bad does the cheating get if I strictly just play the P2P ranked servers like search and destroy? Is it as bad as I hear it is with the videos using aimbots/red border box to show where enemies are

Black Ops on PC is a blast. In fact, it's so good, I'm skipping MW3 entirely.

Nelo Ice

Banned
SteveO409 said:

Kinda worried about this too but besides that I may just get it now and grab the 360 version down the line.

Just placed my MW3 preorder through Amazon. When should I expect to hear that it has been shipped? It did give me release date delivery so I am assuming pretty soon.

jdmonmou

Cutwolf said:

I don't think so. The PC is not the lead platform for Modern Warfare like it was for Battlefield 3, so there won't be as many drastic differences. I could max it out on a PC but I chose to buy on 360 because my friends who also will be playing the game will be buying it on the 360 and the Xbox version will be getting the DLC first.

Danny 117

Do any ShopTo Hardened Edition buyers know if you are able to ring up TNT and have your package left at a "safe place" or does it HAVE to be signed for?

FoxHimself said:
We just posted our review online. We've split the review into two parts, one for singleplayer and one for MP (just like we did with our BF3 review). That'll give us more time getting to know the game online.

PressFire.no: 6/6

The review talks about how similar BF3 and MW3 feels, gameplay wise. Seems like the game has a better story, though.

Having played both games, BF3 and MW3 are nothing like each other. In fact they are so different game play wise, that I have a hard time comparing the two at all.

Hanmik said:
and they bought the game from a store who broke street date.. lol .. and they write that the AI sucks..

Actually the friendly AI have saved me a few times, enemy AI is as in the other cod games.

BattleMonkey said:

If you have read what I wrote many pages back, you will see you are getting MW2 amped up ten notches. If that excites you, then you will be very happy, if that makes you sad, you will be very upset.

Apoc87

Banned
Does anyone know if the hardened edition is limited to a certain amount of copies? I will not have enough money to purchase until the second week of December. Do you guys think I will be able to find a hardened edition after this? Where can I get a copy?

ArjanN

jdmonmou said:
I don't think so. The PC is not the lead platform for Modern Warfare like it was for Battlefield 3, so there won't be as many drastic differences. I could max it out on a PC but I chose to buy on 360 because my friends who also will be playing the game will be buying it on the 360 and the Xbox version will be getting the DLC first.

The PC version looking better and playing better with mouse and keyboard still make that the version to get for me. Feature wise it pretty much the same though yeah.

Radec

Moms buying MW3 for their kid. lol

308477_288424774521803_206013049429643_892925_1048233721_n.jpg

mw3 launch in Australia.

Miggytronz

Apoc87 said:
Does anyone know if the hardened edition is limited to a certain amount of copies? I will not have enough money to purchase until the second week of December. Do you guys think I will be able to find a hardened edition after this? Where can I get a copy?

No it was LIMITED TIME ONLY. If you find one brand new more than likely your gonna pay big bucks for it. Im going to assume $200+

Honestly Hardened edition only adds concept art and a avatar skin. Just buy the game and Elite service and you basically have the core Hardened edition.

Top Bottom