• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 |OT| Got 99 Problems, But Sales Ain't One.

Desaan

It runs very smooth as you'd expect from a stone age game engine but on the PS3 it looks VERY washed out and bland. If you've recently been playing UC3 you're in for a culture shock!

Well I bought the bullet and just purchased off steam. I can't believe after going almost completely in the dark about this one and not even really liking black ops that I'm being pulled back in!

edit*

OH! and a big reason I'm jumping in is I freaking LOVED spec ops in MW2, and now theres matchmaking too? mmmmm

KAOS

Who's saying the 360 version is 2 discs??? 2 discs for what? I must have the limted 1 disc regular edition!

Vire

So I'm watching this video that was just posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FpOE373mds

And I'm honestly having a hard time seeing what's so new and great about this. If someone told me this was a DLC for MW2 I would have totally believed them. I'm not trying to troll, I just want to know why you guys are excited for this/what is different about it?

Fjordson

Fourman said:
Hearing a lot of feedback from people who are playing that MW3 feels like COD4. That makes me very excited.
Hearing the same thing from a few friends who have snagged a copy. Very promising.

Also, probably old news for this thread, but I just saw on Gamespot that pre-orders are at nearly 9 million. Holy shit if true.

Pie Lord

Doc Holliday said:
Man I wish I could play a fast paced FPS like this with a gamepad lol.
The gamepad works surprisingly well with shooters these days. There is definitively a higher learning curb than there is with the mouse, and you're never going to be quite as precise, but the gap isn't quite as large as I once thought.

Madtown_

Vire said:

And I'm honestly having a hard time seeing what's so new and great about this. If someone told me this was a DLC for MW2 I would have totally believed them. I'm not trying to troll, I just want to know why you guys are excited for this/what is different about it?
Yes, it's a Modern Warfare game. Do you want them to get rid of the modern weapons or completely change the controls or game set-up?

Seriously, the OP has a ton of info. There's plenty of 'new' here.

Is the cod elite site all messed up? I was able to login for the past few days but I just tried to login and it said my login/password combination is invalid.

Teknoman

soultron said:
I thought proxy chat was only in FFA?

Is party chat restricted like it was in MW2? I kinda liked that.

I hope so. Its one thing if i'm in a party with an entire team of friends or just a GAF squad, but that odd person out, or me being the odd man out really throws off the team dynamic.

Or just the classic funny/crazy stuff you used to hear over XBL. Hearing that it plays like CoD 4 makes me a little more optimistic.

Orangepeel said:
OH! and a big reason I'm jumping in is I freaking LOVED spec ops in MW2, and now theres matchmaking too? mmmmm
I was like punching my ceiling when I got 69 stars in Spec Ops. It only took me like two years.

Vire said:
I'm not trying to troll, I just want to know why you guys are excited for this/what is different about it?

We like this series. I look at the Uncharted franchise the same way(they all look similar to me), but I accept they aren't and don't go asking in their OP, "Hey guys why do you like this? Nathan Drake is totally the same!"

Lionheart1827 said:
Is the cod elite site all messed up? I was able to login for the past few days but I just tried to login and it said my login/password combination is invalid.

yeah, it's jacked up right now.

Vire

Madtown_ said:
Yes, it's a Modern Warfare game. Do you want them to get rid of the modern weapons or completely change the controls or game set-up?

Seriously, the OP has a ton of info. There's plenty of 'new' here.
No, but I certainly want them to update the graphics to a point where they are recognizably better.

If you aren't going to tweak the actual gunplay, you damn well better improve the presentation.

If you take a look at the Gears series, there's a noticeable improvement through each iteration and each game is easily identifiable because the differences are so stark. (On a visual fidelity side only).

I honestly can't tell the difference between the Modern Warfare games.

DRE Fei

99 problems, and elite is one! I just hope the matchmaking works tomorrow. If I can't nerd out on some stats, it doesn't bother me.

Desaan said:
It runs very smooth as you'd expect from a stone age game engine but on the PS3 it looks VERY washed out and bland. If you've recently been playing UC3 you're in for a culture shock!

so it's not blurry?

trolling-400x345.jpg

tigerin

Vire said:

is that guy really good or the people he playing against really sucks?

Deadbeat

Banned
Vire said:
I'm not trying to troll, I just want to know why you guys are excited for this/what is different about it?
Imagine that instead of IW having two years to make a MW game there was only one year of dev time due to a legal dispute. Now imagine if half the devs left and Activision called in other studios to pick up the slack. Well you can stop imagining because thats MW3.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
KAOS said:
Who's saying the 360 version is 2 discs??? 2 discs for what? I must have the limted 1 disc regular edition!
It's definitely not. Someone got it confused with the PC DVD version.

X-Frame

Fourman said:
Hearing a lot of feedback from people who are playing that MW3 feels like COD4. That makes me very excited.

Shit shit shit shit why'd you have to say this .. dammit I was convinced I wasn't even going to consider this game.

tigerin

Vire said:
No, but I certainly want them to update the graphics to a point where they are recognizably better.

If you aren't going to tweak the actual gunplay, you damn well better improve the presentation.

If you take a look at the Gears series, there's a noticeable improvement through each iteration and each game is easily identifiable because the differences are so stark. (On a visual fidelity side only).

I honestly can't tell the difference between the Modern Warfare games.

cod games are really about graphics to me anymore. seriously, i think this gen consoles has nearly reach its peak, especially multi platform games. reason I'm excited about this game and maybe others are because the multiplayer is fun.

LEGGZZZZ

Vire said:

Gameplay>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Graphics. I think the main reason why people are interested in the game (myself included) is that it looks like it may be a REAL proper sequel to COD4, one of the best multiplayer games this generation, where MW2 was kinda more so about the all out craziness then balance and the originals gun on gun gameplay.

Then you add in Spec Ops, one of the biggest highlights of MW2, but this time with proper matchmaking, and survival mode, a great spin on Zombies mode, both of which were again, some of the best cooperative experiences this generation. Not to mention a potentially stellar campaign, what is there not to be excited about?

You should read the OP again and some comments on the last page or two, not hard to see why.

Still in shock, in SHOCK that the demise of the real most broken perk combo in COD histoty(Marathon/Lightweight) is gone and I never see anybody talking about it. In my opinion that is more imprtant than even Commando being taken out.

Vire

tigerin said:
cod games are really about graphics to me anymore. seriously, i think this gen consoles has nearly reach its peak, especially multi platform games. reason I'm excited about this game and maybe others are because the multiplayer is fun.
Right, and I get that you find it fun which is perfectly cool. But how is it different from MW2?

And why do you feel the need to get this one?

You say it's all about the gameplay - but it doesn't look like they are rewriting the script in terms of the gunplay.

Vire said:
Right, and I get that you find it fun which is perfectly cool. But how is it different from MW2?

You say it's all about the gameplay - but it doesn't look like they are rewriting the script in terms of the gunplay.

For saying you're not trying to troll, you're playing the part well.

Vire

bigwinnerx said:
For saying you're not trying to troll, you're playing the part well.
I've still yet to hear any examples about what they changed. People have made it clear that they don't care about the graphics. Which is fine, but I'd like to know what is different about the gameplay itself - if that's what is the most important to them.

LowParry

Vire said:

Graphic appear to be a step up over MW2. The sound is a big upgrade. I guess you could say, this is the sports game of shooters. Updated guns. Perks. Etc.

LEGGZZZZ

Vire said:
I've still yet to hear any examples about what they changed.

I just posted a fairly detailed response, but I'll repost it for you.

Gameplay>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Graphics. I think the main reason why people are interested in the game (myself included) is that it looks like it may be a REAL proper sequel to COD4, one of the best multiplayer games this generation, where MW2 was kinda more so about the all out craziness then balance and then the original's gun on gun gameplay. It looks like it could possibly be a combination of the best of both worlds (COD4's gun on gun and MW2's Killstreaks) but much more balanced and fair.

Then you add in Spec Ops, one of the biggest highlights of MW2, but this time with proper matchmaking, and survival mode, a great spin on Zombies mode, both of which were again, some of the best cooperative experiences this generation for myself, and were generally loved by the community. Not to mention a potentially stellar campaign, what is there not to be excited about?

You should read the OP again and some comments on the last page or two, not hard to see why.

tigerin

Vire said:

because it's the newer and updated version of the game. there are so many times i can play black ops and mw2 before i get sick of it. mw3 is like a new refreshment. think of it as a new madden or a new car model. similar in some ways but it's the new cool thing. plus mw3 is going to be the games that my friends are gonna be on and black ops/mw2 gonna be the thing of the past.

seriously, i don't mind activision to release just the multiplayer every year. but i'm pretty sure they won't make as much money that way and they got a lot of competition right now.

knitoe

Anerythristic said:
Still in shock, in SHOCK that the demise of the real most broken perk combo in COD histoty(Marathon/Lightweight) is gone and I never see anybody talking about it. In my opinion that is more imprtant than even Commando being taken out.
Nah. That combo won't let you outrace or be invincible to bullets compare with commando. And, I can hear you coming from a mile away with good headset.

Vire said:
I've still yet to hear any examples about what they changed. People have made it clear that they don't care about the graphics. Which is fine, but I'd like to know what is different about the gameplay itself - if that's what is the most important to them.
New mp game modes. Happy? Now go.

tigerin

vire, at this state, i don't expect too much from the cod series. if you're looking to find an innovative or game of the year title, i'm sorry my friend, you might have to look somewhere else. cod has become the street fighter 4/ marvel vs. cap com 3/ of shooting game.

Madtown_

Vire said:
The OP has a lot of info, like I mentioned. (link)

Anyways, moving on. I'll probably be able to play in 21 hours.. But the question is.. will the servers be working on PS3??

Vire

LEGGZZZZ said:
I just posted a fairly detailed response, but I'll repost it for you.

Gameplay>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Graphics. I think the main reason why people are interested in the game (myself included) is that it looks like it may be a REAL proper sequel to COD4, one of the best multiplayer games this generation, where MW2 was kinda more so about the all out craziness then balance and then the original's gun on gun gameplay. It looks like it could possibly be a combination of the best of both worlds (COD4's gun on gun and MW2's Killstreaks) but much more balanced and fair.

Then you add in Spec Ops, one of the biggest highlights of MW2, but this time with proper matchmaking, and survival mode, a great spin on Zombies mode, both of which were again, some of the best cooperative experiences this generation for myself, and were generally loved by the community. Not to mention a potentially stellar campaign, what is there not to be excited about?

These changes sound incredibly incremental and hardly essential. You are essentially saying they are wrapping up everything that made past Call of Duty games great into one "new" package correct? Spec Ops isn't a new thing nor is Zombies mode..

tigerin said:
because it's the newer and updated version of the game. there are so many times i can play black ops and mw2 before i get sick of it. mw3 is like a new refreshment. think of it as a new madden or a new car model. similar in some ways but it's the new cool thing. plus mw3 is going to be the games that my friends are gonna be on and black ops/mw2 gonna be the thing of the past.

seriously, i don't mind activision to release just the multiplayer every year. but i'm pretty sure they won't make as much money that way and they got a lot of competition right now.
At least someone's honest...

CitizenCope said:
New mp game modes. Happy? Now go.

Sorry you can't handle constructive criticism.

Madtown_

Anerythristic said:
That's a good point. Marathon and Lightweight should each have never been in the game. Now, both are gone. Map and spawn balancing becomes easier directly because they've been removed.

I've played all the COD's on consoles for hundreds of hours. After watching some MW3 mp videos why does it seem to me the enemies red gamertag is showing up well before you get them in your sights? Kind of alarming but maybe it's because I haven't played a COD in 2 months and it's just the same as all the others.

Top Bottom