• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 |OT| Got 99 Problems, But Sales Ain't One.

tigerin

Vire said:
I've still yet to hear any examples about what they changed. People have made it clear that they don't care about the graphics. Which is fine, but I'd like to know what is different about the gameplay itself - if that's what is the most important to them.

are you satisfy with my answer? the game doesn't even have to change anything. as long as it has new maps, perks and killstreaks. i'm still gonna buy it, unfortunately. til this day, i still haven't find the game that can take it place. there were a lot of good times with me and my friends on cod that other games doesn't offer.

and i've tried to introduced battlefield to my friends, none of them like it. apparently cod has something that battlefield and other games don't have.

Vire

tigerin said:
are you satisfy with my answer? the game doesn't even have to change anything. as long as it has new maps, perks and killstreaks. i'm still gonna buy it, unfortunately. til this day, i still haven't find the game that can take it place. there were a lot of good times with me and my friends on cod that other games doesn't offer.

and i've tried to introduced battlefield to my friends, none of them like it. apparently cod has something that battlefield and other games don't have.
I am satisfied. It's a perfectly honest and reasonable answer.

I was just hoping there was something here that I could get excited for it like I was for COD4.

tigerin

iMike76 said:
MW3 and Skyrim coming out in the same week is my own personal disaster.

sounds like a good combination. skyrim is going to be bug/ glitchy the first few weeks. mw3 will keep you entertain during those times.

tigerin

Vire said:
I am satisfied. It's a perfectly honest and reasonable answer.

I was just hoping there was something here that I could get excited for it like I was for COD4.

well, on the bright side. it's going to be like cod4(according to some people). so you should be excited cod4 is back. lol

Vire

tigerin said:
well, on the bright side. it's going to be like cod4(according to some people). so you should be excited cod4 is back. lol
But I have CoD4. If I wanted to play that, I'll go right ahead and dust it off my shelf.

No need to drop 60 bones on it.

knitoe said:
Nah. That combo won't let you outrace or be invincible to bullets compare with commando. And, I can hear you coming from a mile away with good headset.
I see a lot of people who didn't really understand why knifing was effective saying this. Knifing didn't need commando. That's why knifing still worked in Black Ops with just marathon pro (and the ballistic knife); it was marathon that made knifing work. You still have tactical knives in MW3, but knifing will not be anywhere near as effective without unlimited sprint.

bluedeviltron said:
This. 12 est was flying around earlier, but the store page shows 13 hours left.

Twelve Midnight EST? Yeah, the store page is disheartening. I'd love to get some action in tonight.

tigerin

Vire said:
But I have CoD4. If I wanted to play that, I'll go right ahead and dust it off my shelf.

No need to drop 60 bones on it.

true.

but you got to remember. new maps, perks, killstreaks and continuation to MW2 single player campaign!!! aren't you excited to see what happen to soap and price?!?!?! lol

and i bet cod4 is pretty empty and/or fill with hackers/glitchers. at least with the new game, the developers focus more on patching/fixing it if the game goes wrong.

leng jai

Skipped Black Ops and I forgot just how good the controls feel in COD. The smoothness is ridiculous.

Singeplayer is great too, well at least the first 2 missions I've played.

eek5

leng jai said:
Skipped Black Ops and I forgot just how good the controls feel in COD. The smoothness is ridiculous.
Yeah. I think turning, moving and navigating the map in COD is what seals the deal for me. I rarely ever get stuck on random crap that prevents me from moving. If I want to jump over something I can do it every time not on the 4th or 5th attempt; it's just super smooth.

LEGGZZZZ

Vire said:
These changes sound incredibly incremental and hardly essential. You are essentially saying they are wrapping up everything that made past Call of Duty games great into one "new" package correct? Spec Ops isn't a new thing nor are Zombies mode..

At least someone's honest...

I know your not trolling, but in what ways are these changes incremental? Adding matchmaking to Spec Ops is huge, because unless you had a active friends list to play with, that entire section of the game was basically wasted if you wanted a cooperative experience. Along with that, Spec Ops mission mode offers entirely NEW scenarios to play through, so again, how is that incremental or hardly essential?

Survival while similar to zombies (more like horde in Gears of War) is also entirely NEW to the modern warfare series, so again, unless your comparing this to Black Ops which is it's own separate spin on Call of Duty, not entirely sure how that's incremental as well.

Multiplayer is more about refinement, you shouldn't have to create completely new features every title, but even in this case, they completely changed the Killstreak feature, a major component of Modern Warfare's multiplayer, and centered around different play styles, where before it was all focused solely on getting kills. So again, I don't see what your argument is as far as the being little to know changes with the series, and don't see what is a problem about them taking everything great from previous games, refining them, and putting it all into one package?

Your argument could be put to literally any other major series out there if that's what your criticizing, Arkham City included. Could you make your claims more specific?

leng jai said:
Some shooters may do other things better but this smoothness you talk of is what I think is one of the most important things in a shooter and why I keep returning to the series.

X-Frame

rekameohs said:
There's a ton out there. Here's one I found.

To me, it seems like Assault Package might actually become the LEAST popular.

Thanks!

And I think that was IW's intention. To make the anti-killstreak package the more "effective".

knitoe

krameriffic said:
I see a lot of people who didn't really understand why knifing was effective saying this. Knifing didn't need commando. That's why knifing still worked in Black Ops with just marathon pro (and the ballistic knife); it was marathon that made knifing work. You still have tactical knives in MW3, but knifing will not be anywhere near as effective without unlimited sprint.
Commando greatly increase knife lunge/teleport. Knife lung range: Commando >>> Black Ops >>> MW2 regular. That's why Black Ops knifing was still big a problem.

Vire said:
These changes sound incredibly incremental and hardly essential. You are essentially saying they are wrapping up everything that made past Call of Duty games great into one "new" package correct? Spec Ops isn't a new thing nor is Zombies mode..

At least someone's honest...

Sorry you can't handle constructive criticism.
Sounds like you're just not a fan of sequels. Going by your avatar I'm assuming you're an Arkham City fan? Well Arkham City was just a slightly modified Arkham Asylum in many ways so, I don't see why the fact the MW2 and MW3 share similarities has you up in arms.

legacyzero

Banned
rekameohs said:
Nope. Chuck Testa.

Bahahaa. dammit, his fire was extinquished with a quickness. Mods here are amazing LOL.

On topic:
So I've been playing COD4 all night tonight in celebration of the new game. COD4 is still gonna be hard to beat as the best MP shooter ever made.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
zlatko said:
What did the poor junior link to ?
Does it matter? He got banned. Sucks for him though. Anyway, can anyone confirm if the PS3 version looks good as the 360 version or about the same. Also, is it worth it for me to get the Collector's edition? DLC comes on the 360 first right? About how long does it take until it comes on the PS3.

iSimon

Is 4 player local split screen multiplayer in the 360 version like it was with MW2 or only 2 player like Black Ops?

rapid32.5

Desaan said:
It runs very smooth as you'd expect from a stone age game engine but on the PS3 it looks VERY washed out and bland. If you've recently been playing UC3 you're in for a culture shock!
Is it washed out in single player only or both ? I don't expect anyone on PS3 to match UC3 visuals it's an elite league of devs.

legacyzero

Banned
zlatko said:
What did the poor junior link to ?

Let's just say his opinion of a "support package" was a highly suggestive one that I had the unfortunate privilege of clicking.

kayos90 said:
Does it matter? He got banned. Sucks for him though. Anyway, can anyone confirm if the PS3 version looks good as the 360 version or about the same. Also, is it worth it for me to get the Collector's edition? DLC comes on the 360 first right? About how long does it take until it comes on the PS3.
I dont think they're doing it that way this time around because of Elite and all. I might be wrong though.

My immediate thoughts are..

Why do I die quicker than everyone else? I've got guys getting triple kills with single clips and I'm shooting off rounds and rounds into people and it's not doing diddly squat..

Has anybody else's copy not shipped from Amazon yet? I ordered release date shipping and usually they're pretty good about sending it out on time (the day before), but mine still says it's shipping soon.

zlatko

Banned
Alienshogun said:
That's my thinking on it too.

Basically it was a video of nutsack coats. Literally.

:lol

Talk about going out in a blaze of glory.

Anyone have the ELITE site work properly for them yet?

Vire

johnFkennedy said:
Sounds like you're just not a fan of sequels. Going by your avatar I'm assuming you're an Arkham City fan? Well Arkham City was just a slightly modified Arkham Asylum in many ways so, I don't see why the fact the MW2 and MW3 share similarities has you up in arms.
Are you seriously trying to compare the differences between Arkham City and Arkham Asylum to MW2 to MW3?

It's not even close in how much they differ.

Arkham Asylum is an entirely linear experience while Arkham City is an open world game. I'm not going to go into the hundreds of things that differ since I don't want to derail this thread but this would be the equivalent of changing the entire foundation of level structure in Modern Warfare and creating an open world Modern Warfare game rather than a heavily scripted popcorn action flick.

So that was an incredibly poor comparison.

LEGGZZZZ said:
I know your not trolling, but in what ways are these changes incremental? Adding matchmaking to Spec Ops is huge, because unless you had a active friends list to play with, that entire section of the game was basically wasted if you wanted a cooperative experience. Along with that, Spec Ops mission mode offers entirely NEW scenarios to play through, so again, how is that incremental or hardly essential?

Survival while similar to zombies (more like horde in Gears of War) is also entirely NEW to the modern warfare series, so again, unless your comparing this to Black Ops which is it's own separate spin on Call of Duty, not entirely sure how that's incremental as well.

Multiplayer is more about refinement, you shouldn't have to create completely new features every title, but even in this case, they completely changed the Killstreak feature, a major component of Modern Warfare's multiplayer, and centered around different play styles, where before it was all focused solely on getting kills. So again, I don't see what your argument is as far as the being little to know changes with the series, and don't see what is a problem about them taking everything great from previous games, refining them, and putting it all into one package?

Your argument could be put to literally any other major series out there if that's what your criticizing, Arkham City included. Could you make your claims more specific?
Adding matchmaking to Spec Ops doesn't change how spec ops operates it's still the same gameplay experience. You say that Black Ops is a spin off - so zombies doesn't count, but I consider them the same series and so it's nothing innovative or new. And as you said multiplayer is a refinement.

Madtown_

kayos90 said:
360 still has the 30 day exclusivity period.

Elite users on respective systesm will get it before others on the system.
So the order will probably be something like:
360 Elite - > 360 -> PS3 Elite -> PS3

At least this is how I imagine things shaping up. Doesn't seem right than 360 users can get it before PS3 Elite members though.

Top Bottom