• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow |OT| The MercurySteam has Vanquished the Horrible Night

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Gamesradar - Review

Score: 9

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow reinvigorates the franchise by borrowing from other games, adding its own wonderful magic system, and ratcheting up the epic factor to ludicrous degrees. It’s huge in scope, length, and depth, and it’s polished with obvious love and passion.

Despera

Banned
From the gamesradar review...

Pros: Borrows from the best.
Cons: Borrows from others quite shamelessly.

Despite borrowing so many gameplay ideas from other games, LoS feels like its own thing.

Also:-

Cons: Incredibly difficult combat.

We’re reminded of Demon’s Souls when playing LoS – but wait, don’t worry, it’s not that difficult. It’s not an easy game, but like Demon’s Souls, its difficulty is always fair. It punishes sloppiness and greed, which importantly distinguishes it from God of War by having a different pace to the combat. Gabriel Belmont, the star of the monster-slaughtering show, has an arsenal of fancy combos, but good luck pulling them off. We’re sure super hardcore gamers will find a way to bust out the ten-hit flurries, but we were too busy dodging.

The hell is up with all these contradictions?

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
I picked up Castlevania: Judgement for the Wii in anticipation of this game. What a complete waste of time, money and resources for that game. It may have been the nail in the coffin for Iga as far as consolevanias go. Keep in mind that I loved the PS2 & N64 games. I also like fighters, but this game is so terrible I don't know how it was ever released.

Edit - Anyone know when the U.S. demo comes out? I checked PSN and it's not up yet.

Foffy

Banned
Wow, the combat is difficult?

So they've literally nailed the Castlevania staple of challenge in the 3D space? Finally.

Suzzopher

MadOdorMachine said:
I picked up Castlevania: Judgement for the Wii in anticipation of this game. What a complete waste of time, money and resources for that game. It may have been the nail in the coffin for Iga as far as consolevanias go. Keep in mind that I loved the PS2 & N64 games. I also like fighters, but this game is so terrible I don't know how it was ever released.

Edit - Anyone know when the U.S. demo comes out? I checked PSN and it's not up yet.

I also picked up Judgement on the strength of Castlevania fanboyness. I had to question whether I should be allowed to buy another game ever again.

Was browsing the Orange store on my mobile and saw Castlevania Order of Shadows, starring a Desmond Belmont. Of course I bought it and well, it's quite good. No idea what team made it, but it's a good little game.

glaurung

RavenFox said:
?? Whip(main weapon) sub weapons, familiars and magic like every Castlevania ever made
Plus it appears that
you will be able to exchange or somehow modify your attack cross hilt and chain later on.

Always-honest said:
why would that even be a big problem?.. Just asking. (not that i see any reason for doing it)

Because some people use devices that don't allow them to highlight those spoiler tagged scores. Plus there's no point in spoiler tagging them.

Despera

Banned
It seems that LoS is difficult even on Normal. One of my biggest complaints about GoW III was the lenient nature of the game.

An action adventure title that offers real challenge is hard to find these days.

DaBuddaDa

Why is it that every third person action game gets criticized for "copying shamelessly" from other games? It's like they're treated on a different level than every other genre which borrows from each other even more shamelessly.

JohngPR

DevilWillcry said:
PS3 is the lead SKU so that has always meant a identical release in the past.

The only game I can think of that bucked that trend was Ghostbusters.

I was thinking that I was getting this or Enslaved, but I'm pretty sure I'll be getting this instead. Just looks more ambitious and will probably be longer than Enslaved.

Ricker

Well high difficulty is not always a plus for me...i`ll start on normal,like I always do and see how it goes,hoping you can change it on the fly if it frustrates me too much...I don`t have patience for hard games anymore,however awesome they are(didn`t finish Demon`s Souls) and most of the time bringing it down to easy is well,too easy :D (example Bayonetta).

LowParry

Ricker said:
Well high difficulty is not always a plus for me...i`ll start on normal,like I always do and see how it goes,hoping you can change it on the fly if it frustrates me too much...I don`t have patience for hard games anymore,however awesome they are(didn`t finish Demon`s Souls) and most of the time bringing it down to easy is well,too easy :D (example Bayonetta).

You sir have no soul till you finish Demon's Soul. I personally like a bit of a challenge in my game. Though the game playing as hard on normal, has me curious of playing the game on the hardest difficulty.

I was hoping for more reviews but I guess we'll get more later in the day.

CcrooK said:
You sir have no soul till you finish Demon's Souls.

I found Demon's Souls to be a tad ridiculous though and a lot of boss fights were incredibly cheap. I love a challenge there were times where I was having a lot of fun because the challenge was fair and it felt rewarding when I would complete a stage, but most of the time I got the impression that they were trying too hard to make it, well, too hard. The Maneater boss is the dumbest, most ridiculously stupid boss fight I've ever encountered and the only way I beat the Flamelurker was by getting the damn thing glitch-stuck on some rubble.

I really like the game, its atmosphere, its play style, and a number of other things but I did find it to be more cheap than fair most of the time and soul-grinding was incredibly monotonous and boring-- not that it was too much different from standard level grinding, but there's an obvious difference in that you can actually lose your experience.

RavenFox

Banned
heringer said:
So don't say it's like every Castlevania ever made.
oh oh please please forgive me sir.
brandonh83 said:
I found Demon's Souls to be a tad ridiculous though and a lot of boss fights were incredibly cheap. I love a challenge there were times where I was having a lot of fun because the challenge was fair and it felt rewarding when I would complete a stage, but most of the time I got the impression that they were trying too hard to make it, well, too hard. The Maneater boss is the dumbest, most ridiculously stupid boss fight I've ever encountered and the only way I beat the Flamelurker was by getting the damn thing glitch-stuck on some rubble.

I really like the game, its atmosphere, its play style, and a number of other things but I did find it to be more cheap than fair most of the time and soul-grinding was incredibly monotonous and boring-- not that it was too much different from standard level grinding, but there's an obvious difference in that you can actually lose your experience.
Actually they are not.

RavenFox said:
oh oh please please forgive me sir.

Don't worry, I fucked up with my statement about 3D action games in general but I guess subconsciously I was hoping that people would understand that I meant 3D action games of this particular nature due to the topic at hand. Semantics are a bitch.

RavenFox said:
Actually they are not.

Some weren't but I found a few of them to definitely be very, very cheap.

eshwaaz

Ricker said:
I'm in the same boat. My tolerance for difficult games has gone way down as I've gotten older. Though many here will look down their nose at me, I'll likely play Lords of Shadow on Easy.

Jay Sosa

That gameplay footage indeed looks interesting. Does anyone know if you will be able to go exploring without beeing hassled by enemies every 2 seconds?

And I'm ok with challenging combat system IF it doesn't get frustrating. I rather have intense fights with 5 enemies than slash my way through 500.

Despera

Banned
brandonh83 said:

I mistakenly triggered that glitch while trying to hide in the corner. Spammed pierce magic till he was dead.

And I shat bricks every time he jumped sideways as if he's escaped the glitch. Good times :D

The Super Castlevania IV music sounds like it's from the 50hz PAL version, the original is faster.
Titan fights look pretty SOTC like, which is nice.

Just read this on Twitter:

OK Castlevania fans, today is YOUR day! Starting this morning we have a ton of Castlevania articles going up, then our reviews at 2PM!

Not sure who tweeted it though I presume it was Dave Cox and it has been retweeted.

I'll be putting this in the OP too:

The History of Castlevania

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
For those on the fence about which version to get, you might want to consider sound design. Personally, I love sound in games more than I do visuals and I tend to find that PS3 games sound better on my surround sound system. I would love to hear any feedback people have on the sound of LoS and if there are options for DTS or 7.1 on the PS3 version.

FrankT

brandonh83 said:
Just read this on Twitter:

OK Castlevania fans, today is YOUR day! Starting this morning we have a ton of Castlevania articles going up, then our reviews at 2PM!

Not sure who tweeted it though I presume it was Dave Cox and it has been retweeted.

I'll be putting this in the OP too:

The History of Castlevania

It's from the Nowgamer guy.

SpokkX

I only care about the framerate

Really that is what affects the gameplay. Whichever version has better framerate is the best version imo

... betting on 360

anddo0

Suzzopher said:
Eurogamer posted their review: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-09-28-castlevania-lords-of-shadow-review forgot to add a score though:lol

If anything, Lords of Shadow is generous to a fault, bulking out its already lengthy campaign with fetch-quests and fiddly asides. While the 2D Castlevanias offer genuine intricacy, this game often resorts to padding – locking gates or busting door mechanisms a few too many times, and reusing a handful of its other tricks a little too regularly as well. In fact, it's one of those rare games which would be better for – whisper it – being a little shorter: Konami's medieval ramble is already sufficiently roomy without a handful of moments that are so clearly thrown in just to add a bit of time to the clock.

The gameplay trailer got me excited... but I don't like the sound of this. Sounds like they could have made a 10-12 hour game without the fluff.

Victrix

*beard*
anddo0 said:
The gameplay trailer got me excited... but I don't like the sound of this. Sounds like they could have made a 10-12 hour game without the fluff.

Fuck gamers (not you)

'It's too short, wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh'

'It's too long, wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh'

Top Bottom