• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow |OT| The MercurySteam has Vanquished the Horrible Night

Pooya

Jtyettis said:
It's pretty solid review though it does sound like the extra is a bit tack on.

CVG 9.2;

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=267010
Complaints? With a screen cluttered with enemies, countering can be near impossible. And some of that grounded weightiness could just be the dump-o frame rate. Often sitting the wrong side of 30, it's nothing debilitating, but it will (and with an audience of colleagues watching, often has) upset some eyes. Us? We'd like a smoother game, but fully appreciate why it drags its heels - with lip-quivering environments and intricate art design, Lords of Shadow challenges the Xbox 360's very best. At 60 frames it'd be devastating.

>_<

FrankT

Yup saw that too and I hope it isn't too bad overall. How is the framerate in the PS3 demo?

I sitll don't even know if the 360 demo is hitting this week as they really haven't said a date. No mention of it at all.

Suzzopher

Jtyettis said:
Yup saw that too and I hope it isn't too bad overall. How is the framerate in the PS3 demo?

I sitll don't even know if the 360 demo is hitting this week as they really haven't said a date. No mention of it at all.

24fps dropping down 16fps at times.

Thaedolus

My question is: will the PS3 version require an update to play? I kinda want to jailbreak my system, so if I need to update it, I'll just get the 360 version

FrankT

FrankT

Suzzopher said:
It's an old demo though, maybe it will be 30fps throughout the final release?

Possible, but I doubt it's a solid 30 if there are no differences between the two save more vibrant colors.

Jtyettis said:
Possible, but I doubt it's a solid 30 if there are no differences between the two save more vibrant colors.

They mention some technical flaws like slowdowns and low-res textures. Seems to be for both versions though.

Everything looks fine until you see those framerate statistics and all of a sudden it's terrible despite what the actual footage shows and how the game actually plays. I wonder if the same comments would be made about that video if the fps wasn't noted in it.

Oh wait, not really because we've been seeing gameplay footage for over a year now but no one had any problems with the framerate until now. Are reviews complaining about horrible framerate problems? It seems to be getting very good scores for now.

Draft said:
W.O.W.

Any interest I had in this game just went right out the damn window. 24fps is shameful.

We just had a large discussion about how framerate doesn't matter in the last thread. Tis but eye candy.

he gameplay trailer got me excited... but I don't like the sound of this. Sounds like they could have made a 10-12 hour game without the fluff.

All these same criticisms were leveled at RE4.

Draft

brandonh83 said:
Everything looks fine until you see those framerate statistics and all of a sudden it's terrible despite what the actual footage shows and how the game actually plays. I wonder if the same comments would be made about that video if the fps wasn't noted in it.

Oh wait, not really because we've been seeing gameplay footage for over a year now but no one had any problems with the framerate until now. Are reviews complaining about horrible framerate problems? It seems to be getting very good scores for now.
It's practically impossible to get any sort of feel for a game's framerate from youtube or gametrailers footage outside of huge obnoxious drops.

And reviewers can get bent. I believe it was Insomniac who said that metacritic proves that reviewers don't give points for 60fps, and most of them probably don't dock points for games that can't hold 30. Reviewers are just jerks doing time until they can get community manager jobs.

I understand being excited about a game because you are a fan of the IP, or how it looks, or you just want it to be good for whatever reason, but facts are facts and sub 30fps hampers gameplay, especially if the game is built on reaction based mechanics like fighting and platforming.

RavenFox

Banned
Despera said:
I mistakenly triggered that glitch while trying to hide in the corner. Spammed pierce magic till he was dead.

And I shat bricks every time he jumped sideways as if he's escaped the glitch. Good times :D
Fought him head on and just rolled out of the way when he attempted to attack and yes full armor. That boss was a breeze for me.

Draft said:
I understand being excited about a game because you are a fan of the IP, or how it looks, or you just want it to be good for whatever reason, but facts are facts and sub 30fps hampers gameplay, especially if the game is built on reaction based mechanics like fighting and platforming.

I just think that if it were really an issue we would have been hearing about it a lot by now. And again, you're right, it's hard to get a feel for anything until you actually play it. Just saying, try it first and don't get hung up over the technicalities until you deem that it actually hampers the gameplay. From the evidence in every single gameplay video that has been released of the title, I don't suspect that it will. The demo comes out today so you can be your own judge. :D

And yeah, I realize that because I made the OT and I'm clearly excited about the game may dish out heavy suspicions that I will like it "no matter what" but if the framerate does hamper the gameplay I will be the first one on here bitching about it. Don't forget, I was defending Final Fantasy XIII like my life depended on it but I ended up sort of hating it.

Schattenjagger said:
So does this game have castlevania music?? The eurogamer review said it doesn't .. I need some bloody tears

It does, but no Bloody Tears. Remember, if this game does well, Cox has went on record saying that future installments may be a reality so there's always room later for more classic remixed tracks.

RavenFox

Banned
Schattenjagger said:
So does this game have castlevania music?? The eurogamer review said it doesn't .. I need some bloody tears
You can load your own music. So if you have bloody tears or any other track you would like to use then by all means load it up.

RavenFox said:
You can load your own music. So if you have bloody tears or any other track you would like to use then by all means load it up.

That might be fun on replays, but they didn't hire an acclaimed Spanish film composer for nothing.

Draft said:

Someone hold me back!

Seriously, go find the old thread and read the framerate/reaction time/latency discussion. You might be enlightened.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
FreedomFrisbee said:
Someone hold me back!

Seriously, go find the old thread and read the framerate/reaction time/latency discussion. You might be enlightened.

Actually, the programmer of Dead Space posted in that thread contradicting your position. I don't remember seeing you reply to that.

hey_it's_that_dog said:
Actually, the programmer of Dead Space posted in that thread contradicting your position. I don't remember seeing you reply to that.

I don't remember that being a programmer. I thought he was an artist, who talked about something a programmer had done. And he was commenting on latency.

Are you for real?

I am for real telling you you should go look at that convo. We talked it into the ground.

Draft

FreedomFrisbee said:
I am for real telling you you should go look at that convo. We talked it into the ground.
This forum has no search function and I have absolutely no idea what thread or conversation you are referring to.

Top Bottom