• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow |OT| The MercurySteam has Vanquished the Horrible Night

Despera

Banned
brandonh83 said:
I'm just talking about that particular style. I'm aware that there are other 3D action games that play fine and play nothing like GOW, but when it comes down to it, GOW's style is perfectly suited for Castlevania.

Agreed.

Himuro said:
Heck, Prince of Persia: Sands of Time did that shit before God of War, average combat aside.

And Segata, thanks for making me lose my dinner. That game looks like shit.
The actual mechanics of the game are pretty good. Like Lament, though, the level design is shit, and it brings down the whole game hard.

Segata Sanshiro said:
It's been done., albeit incredibly poorly.

1c579.jpg

Despera said:

I just wonder how else an action game with a chain whip style weapon in 3D could really be handled well and I don't think they should have risked a possibly lackluster direction just because they were afraid of it being compared to something else.

The appeal of CoD for me was finding all of the neat stuff and the solid combat. I pretty much gave up on Igavania's having good level design during the GBA releases.

Ranger X

brandonh83 said:
So what other games that play like a 3D Castlevania or God of War did it great before GOW came out? Serious question.

I was wrong to put it so vaguely, my bad. But there's really no need to be an ass about it.

God of War style for me is the "modern beat 'em up" genre and it's been started by Devil May Cry and Ninja Gaiden before it.
This new Casltlevania is another of those beat 'em up but seems to be a little more than fighting. A nice twist.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
The appeal of CoD for me was finding all of the neat stuff and the solid combat. I pretty much gave up on Igavania's having good level design during the GBA releases.

It's weird, something I haven't been able to put my finger on is... I find that the PS2 and maybe to a lesser extent the Metroidvanias are both guilty of the copy/paste level design, yet I absolutely do not mind it or notice it that much at all on the handheld games. I caught myself once or twice while playing, I think it was Portrait of Ruin, thinking wow this level design is just as repetitive as the PS2 games, but then just went back to playing comfortably. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the 2D vs 3D style or that there may be a bit less of it in the Metroidvanias, but when I tried to play Lament a few days ago, I just got so incredibly bored of the copied level design from room to room.

Ranger X said:
God of War style for me is the "modern beat 'em up" genre and it's been started by Devil May Cry and Ninja Gaiden before it.
This new Casltlevania is another of those beat 'em up but seems to be a little more than fighting. A nice twist.

Again, I think it's fine to compare the combat to God of War because it is very comparable but I find myself disagreeing with those who label it a God of War clone and just pass that off as a negative because there is more to this game than just the combat, and GOW has excellent combat (IMO). Not sure what all the fuss is about.

brandonh83 said:
It's weird, something I haven't been able to put my finger on is... I find that the PS2 and maybe to a lesser extent the Metroidvanias are both guilty of the copy/paste level design, yet I absolutely do not mind it or notice it that much at all on the handheld games. I caught myself once or twice while playing, I think it was Portrait of Ruin, thinking wow this level design is just as repetitive as the PS2 games, but then just went back to playing comfortably. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the 2D vs 3D style or that there may be a bit less of it in the Metroidvanias, but when I tried to play Lament a few days ago, I just got so incredibly bored of the copied level design from room to room.
A boring hallway lasts three seconds in 2D, but lasts three minutes in 3D.

Everything that's been shown so far looks pretty phenomenal. Yeah, it looks a lot like GOW from the trailers and stuff but frankly, most fps look pretty similar in trailers, most racing games look pretty similar in trailers etc. Certain things work for certain types of games, and it will make a lot of them look really similar from the 2 min. clips. The devil is in the details though.

Also, creature design is so what I imagine is Spanish, all Guillem del Toro style. Which is also awesome, pretty different from a lot of what we've been seeing lately.

I've got room between GOW3 and Darksiders, HYYYYPE!

Again, I think it's fine to compare the combat to God of War because it is very comparable but I find myself disagreeing with those who label it a God of War clone and just pass that off as a negative because there is more to this game than just the combat, and GOW has excellent combat (IMO). Not sure what all the fuss is about.

It definitely isn't just the combat though, the way the camera pulls way back for the platforming, the
titan bosses that were in the G4 trailer
and even the atmosphere are all really reminiscent. That's what I get from a lot of the media anyway, it just feels very GOW. Especially since I haven't had too much exposure to Castlevania in the first place, mostly SOTN and in vague memory some SNES iteration or something. Too far back and I don't think I owned it.

Segata Sanshiro said:

Yeah, maybe you're right. The PS2 installment levels felt unnecessarily huge and long-winded with horrible direction and layout; it was truly rancid how you could choose a path but it just ends up in the same exact area, but you have to slog through the "other" path even though it's identical just to complete the map coverage.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Segata Sanshiro said:

it's also because repetitive geometry is not as evident in 2d dimensions because it's easier to accept that the depth and complexity of an area extends into the background, a background which you don't interact with. so if the background is just rows and rows of multicolored books on a golden bookshelf background, and there are flying evil books around, or something, you just sort of say to yourself, "oh, this is the library area, i am in a library," and you jump around on the 2d plane on these flat little floors and maybe there's some variation in the slope or variety of flat little floor you're on but for the most part you're doing the same sort of things everywhere you go. in 3d, that same situation is totally different, because now room after room of multicolored rows of books have to be real things and not just this painting you run around in front of that has little bearing on the activities you perform in that space.

i don't know, maybe i'm grasping at straws, but i think there's something to that idea, in addition to what you say here.

JohngPR

CcrooK said:
Ah, I see. You really should give them a try again. Lots of old school fun.

One of these days I'll probably DL Symphony of the Night from XBLA or PSN and give it a shot. Probably after I play this game and want more Castlevania action. :)

brandonh83 said:
Just finished the video. I'd say there is minor spoiler material but I still don't feel that it gave much away. It's by far the best marketing video they've made and will surely sway the unconvinced in the proper direction.

The fucking music at the end though, my god

Fuckin' A!

had a huge grin on my face the whole time :D

Ridley327

Incidentally, the pre-order bonus for the game at Best Buy is a redeemable code for SotN on either PSN or XBLA. Go figure. :lol :lol :lol

To Far Away Times said:
Damn, that's awesome. You should add that to the OP.

OP is getting some renovations tomorrow (though nothing major) when some of the media and reviews hit so I may try to work this in.

Daigoro

i just dunno guys.

i want it to be GREAT. but i dont want to get burned buying it right away and have it be underwhelming.

i am a huge CV fan. the first CV on NES is easily in my top 5 games of all time. so all of this talk about using it as inspiration sounds great, but im just not sold.

ive really been ignoring almost all media about this game so far as well. i didnt realize it was coming out so soon. i guess i really need a demo to help me decide. ugh. that could also backfire on me as well.

i hope it turns out brilliant. maybe ill just wait for a price drop though. :/

Teknoman said:
I miss Rygar, PS2 game was actually pretty decent with a nice soundtrack.

me too. never did play the PS2 game actually. the original was so great though.

Teknoman said:
Isnt the NA demo coming out this week? I mean...the game comes out next week, let us have it already.

Demo is going up on the PSN tomorrow in NA and Europe for sure, not sure about other countries or whatever.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
What's the music in the new trailer? It's pretty brilliant.

I assume it's an old Castlevania song, but I don't know which one it is.

thetrin said:
What's the music in the new trailer? It's pretty brilliant.

I assume it's an old Castlevania song, but I don't know which one it is.

At the beginning is Super Castlevania IV music. Then later it plays original music from the game.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
brandonh83 said:
At the beginning is Super Castlevania IV music. Then later it plays original music from the game.

Oh yeah, I meant what particular Super Castlevania IV song was it?

Defunkled

Teknoman said:
No, think birds. Trying to be as vague as possible...but if you dont care about enemy spoilers that hopefully turn into boss fights
it's Slogra, bird skeleton humanoid guy, stuck on a wall

Would be nice if his usual partner popped up.

Holy crap, I see him! Good find.

Simo

Just checking out the Jason Isaacs gameplay trailer now...ZOMG! Definitely needs to go in the OP, if it isn't already. :D

Simo said:
Just checking out the Jason Isaacs gameplay trailer now...ZOMG! Definitely needs to go in the OP, if it isn't already. :D

Tomorrow probably along with hopefully some new screenshots and reviews.

just watchin the gameplay and some idiots are comparing this game to god of war saying how it's a rip off. Jesus did these kids just popped out of the vagina.

Simo

brandonh83 said:
Tomorrow probably along with hopefully some new screenshots and reviews.

With that video you could just wipe the OP and link that. :lol Sheesh video still not done yet.

Simo said:
With that video you could just wipe the OP and link that. :lol Sheesh video still not done yet.

Actually, tomorrow when I add some things I'm also going to be taking some things away, but nothing no one will miss. I don't want to keep adding stuff and making it bigger and bigger so I'll just have to consolidate. It'll be better though, more informative.

Simo

brandonh83 said:
Actually, tomorrow when I add some things I'm also going to be taking some things away, but nothing no one will miss. I don't want to keep adding stuff and making it bigger and bigger so I'll just have to consolidate. It'll be better though, more informative.

OP is great!

I was just saying this new trailer is pretty informative and gives a good overview of all the mechanics in the game. Hype increased +100. I might wait up to see if the demo does get posted on XBL in a few hours. :lol

Simo said:
OP is great!

I was just saying this new trailer is pretty informative and gives a good overview of all the mechanics in the game. Hype increased +100. I might wait up to see if the demo does get posted on XBL in a few hours. :lol

Doesn't XBL update on Wednesdays? I think PSN gets it Tuesday, XBL on Wed. but I could be wrong.

FrankT

brandonh83 said:
Doesn't XBL update on Wednesdays? I think PSN gets it Tuesday, XBL on Wed. but I could be wrong.

Demos can hit on Tueday as well. Just XBLA releases on Weds. Still I cannot find either way where any date was actually confirmed for 360 even on the twitter acount.

Zomba13

So yeah... I played the demo. It was alright. Nothing wrong but the demo only showed off combat. It was competent and smooth. Looked really nice too. Not too impressed though. I'll wait for reviews. Demos should be more exciting and get you more interested, like the Vanquish demo or the AC:Brotherhood multiplayer beta.

LowParry

That 10:29 mark with a familiar. Holy fuck. That gave me chills just seeing that. I really like how we see great use of the flame whip again. Just like in Castlevania 2 on NES. So so good. Fucking hyped. Want the game so goddamn bad.

Zomba13 said:
So yeah... I played the demo. It was alright. Nothing wrong but the demo only showed off combat. It was competent and smooth. Looked really nice too. Not too impressed though. I'll wait for reviews. Demos should be more exciting and get you more interested, like the Vanquish demo or the AC:Brotherhood multiplayer beta.
Lots of reviews in already. Scores ranging from 80% all the way up to 95%, with the bulk of them hanging closer to 9 than 8.

thetrin

spiderman123 said:
just watchin the gameplay and some idiots are comparing this game to god of war saying how it's a rip off. Jesus did these kids just popped out of the vagina.

Yep, I'm fresh from the vagina. That must be why I said that.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Curse of Darkness has, in my opinion, the best soundtrack of the series. It's a real pity the game it's stuck with.

CoD OST is amazing and just another hard challenge this game has to overcome.

Top Bottom