• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow |OT| The MercurySteam has Vanquished the Horrible Night

brandonh83 said:
Platinum'd at 43 hours. :D

My game of the gen so far without question, possibly my 2nd favorite game of all time right under Chrono Trigger. High praise, but that's my experience with this title.

Damn that is some high praise! So what are your thoughts on the chapters after 8? Since you have played the SHIT out of this game.

brandonh83 said:

My game of the gen so far without question, possibly my 2nd favorite game of all time right under Chrono Trigger. High praise, but that's my experience with this title.
Very interesting.

brandonh83 said:

I'm glad you had a good time.

I wish I wasn't so stubborn. I fucking hate this game but I won't let myself walk away until I beat it.

I am at ch 7 and I am loving this game. It feels like a Castlevania even more so than before. I am even breaking candles and Gabriell's design is just as CV like as all of the other protagonists. So far my ONLY issues are so far lack of my fav CV enemies. I hope the sequel will add Medusa/Heads, Mermen, those skeleton dragon heads, a rock golem boss, Slogra and Gaiben boss fight and a Minotaur somewhere in there as well.

A return of the classic sub weapons like the Axe and Cross boomerang would be a nice welcome as well. If we got those than we would probably have the best CV in the series. Love puzzles, platforming and combat. I hope they dont sell out in the sequel and do that "we are going to focus mostly on the combat" shit when the combat is fine the way it is.

Almost forgot about Legion. I would love to see that boss on this engine.

It just met a lot of personal reasons why I play games. I don't suspect anyone else to share the same sentiments, but everyone has their own thing I guess.

Loved the atmosphere, art direction, music, gameplay, bosses, practically everything about the game was great to me. It had framerate problems and some of the platforming is finicky at times but these are extremely minor issues to me.

Castlevania is one of my all-time favorite series, and I consider this to be my favorite in said series, so yeah, personally it's right under Chrono Trigger on my list.

jett

D-Member
d0c_zaius said:
Or its a completely obvious homage.

GOW ripped off chain weapons from Castlevania OMG!

It's not offensive because it's a ripoff, but because it's fucking garbage! The titan battles are bad and the designers should feel bad They clearly didn't have a clue and should not have attempted it.

I think I'm in chapter 6 or something and at the moment I'd have to call this game average.

LiK

brandonh83 said:
It just met a lot of personal reasons why I play games. I don't suspect anyone else to share the same sentiments, but everyone has their own thing I guess.

Loved the atmosphere, art direction, music, gameplay, bosses, practically everything about the game was great to me. It had framerate problems and some of the platforming is finicky at times but these are extremely minor issues to me.

Castlevania is one of my all-time favorite series, and I consider this to be my favorite in said series, so yeah, personally it's right under Chrono Trigger on my list.

dun dun dun!

Also, I haven't really been that impressed with a lot of games this gen. A few, sure. Uncharted 2, Mario Galaxy, Bioshock, and a few others like that. But I'm not into FPS titles that much. Adventure/horror are my favorites, and this game effortlessly combined the two.

Maybe I should play fair and just call it my game of the year, but I really can't think of another game I've enjoyed more than this aside from CT. The few games that could have rivaled this for me, like Final Fantasy XIII and MGS4, ended up falling short of the mark.

brandonh83 said:

Likewise so I'm really eager to see my final impressions once I've completed it!

LiK

jett said:
It's not offensive because it's a ripoff, but because it's fucking GOLD! The titan battles are FUN and the designers should feel GREAT. They clearly have a clue.

I think I'm in chapter 6 or something and at the moment I'd have to call this game AMAZING.

altered.

LowParry

jett said:
I think I'm in chapter 6 or something and at the moment I'd have to call this game average.

Mmm, I'd say after beating the game, it settles around just above average. An 8/10 game for sure. By chapter 6, I was pretty hooked on the game and it just got better. Until it got to a point where it just flat out annoyed me, but then it spiked back up. There's a lot of that in this game. Good highs to flat out debbie downers. :lol

LiK said:

Nah, the titan battles are really bad in this game, especially the final one. I was dying for that stage to end about 10% of the way through it. I guess now I understand why there haven't been any SotC clones - it's apparently very hard to do it right.

Dascu

brandonh83 said:
Also, I haven't really been that impressed with a lot of games this gen. A few, sure. Uncharted 2, Mario Galaxy, Bioshock, and a few others like that. But I'm not into FPS titles that much. Adventure/horror are my favorites, and this game effortlessly combined the two.

Maybe I should play fair and just call it my game of the year, but I really can't think of another game I've enjoyed more than this aside from CT. The few games that could have rivaled this for me, like Final Fantasy XIII and MGS4, ended up falling short of the mark.
I'm wondering if your opinion will stay the same once the hype wears off. That said, good to have you enjoy the game! I'm in Segata Sanshiro's situation: I don't think I could like this game. The environments look fantastic, but all the rest has me grimacing in pain.

Also, play Amnesia: The Dark Descent.

LaneDS

jett said:
It's not offensive because it's a ripoff, but because it's fucking garbage! The titan battles are bad and the designers should feel bad They clearly didn't have a clue and should not have attempted it.

You're going to love
the end of chapter 11
. And by love, I mean hate with good reason.

LiK

iconoclast said:
Nah, the titan battles are really bad in this game, especially the final one. I was dying for that stage to end about 10% of the way through it. I guess now I understand why there haven't been any SotC clones - it's apparently very hard to do it right.
Yea could've been better but they did nice job with the scale and they looked great. The second Titan was a very nice design.

Haeleos

jett said:

Average at best. The titan battles in particular are some of the worst experiences I've had playing a game. It's a testament to how visually stunning these sequences are that anyone could sit through them and say " Well, that was fun to play."

It's like the animators are wanking all over my face while I Dungeon Lair my way through the QTEs and obscure directions. There's a difference between being lead around/having your hand held in a game and a modicum of direction or tutorial on what you need to do next. The woman you're with starts to spell it out for you after 10 mins... might as well have just put a cutscene there instead if the instructions are so linear and specific. Instead you trial and error your way through most of it until you discover the designer's bizarre fucking dream-logic.

I should have known from the horse level from the demo how "average" this was going to be. Fuck me. People need to play more games if this is the pinnacle of their experiences. Thankfully the game has a capable and varied enough combat system that might carry my interest through to the end.

One more thing: A QTE during throws?! Jeez. Why not just play out the entire combat sequence with canned animations and have me hit button prompts when they come up on screen... I don't think some people realize the difference sometimes.

Dascu said:
I'm wondering if your opinion will stay the same once the hype wears off.

I was really hyped for the game, but I wasn't expecting to like it as much as I did. I know that hype can lead to blind opinions, but I really don't think that's the case here.

Perhaps my praise is premature, in that I'm saying it too early to be taken seriously, but I don't think anyone would take it seriously if I said it five years from now either.

Just sharing my thoughts while acknowledging that my love for the game definitely comes down to personal reasons.

Chapter 4-2 trial
How do I get Malphas to throw her eggs without killing her children? I killed the maximum 2 but since there's still one left she just keeps flying around, only stopping to do the crow attack.

brandonh83 said:
I was really hyped for the game, but I wasn't expecting to like it as much as I did. I know that hype can lead to blind opinions, but I really don't think that's the case here.

Perhaps my praise is premature, in that I'm saying it too early to be taken seriously, but I don't think anyone would take it seriously if I said it five years from now either.

Just sharing my thoughts while acknowledging that my love for the game definitely comes down to personal reasons.
I don't doubt your sincerity in the least. I wish I enjoyed it as much as you do.

noire said:
For as nice as this game looks in general, they did a terrible job on the females. Skin textures feel too sterile.

Well, the human females anyway. I can't stand to look at them. The people in general are not great, absolutely horrible women. Could have used some Naughty Dog people in this department as well.

Segata Sanshiro said:
I don't doubt your sincerity in the least. I wish I enjoyed it as much as you do.

Maybe next time. This was their first attempt, and the sequel is more than likely on the way. I know it depends on sales, but Konami has to be reasonable with this. There are so many other games this fall that a lot of people are holding off for like Fallout, Call of Duty, etc. and that is certain to hamper sales for this one.

Also, they have to keep in mind that even though this game was designed to bring more people into the series, a large part of the audience will remain the diehard Castlevania fans. If it doesn't sell as well as they would have liked, I do hope that they take these factors into consideration when deciding on whether or not to fund another one.

So, hopefully the next game fixes more of the problems you guys had with it. They can look at the feedback and take it from there. I'm hopeful the next one will be even better.

jett

D-Member
:lol WTF at this rune puzzle! Previous battle left me in really poor health, and if I mess up this rune shit just once I die. And by die I mean I have to push and move all the stupid ass light thingies around AGAIN.

Who fucking designs something like this? Boneheaded game designers.

LiK

jett said:
:lol WTF at this puzzle! Previous battle left me in really poor health, and if I mess up this rune shit just once I die. And by die I mean I have to push move all the stupid ass light thingies around AGAIN.

Who fucking designs something like this? Boneheaded game designers.
Don't blame the designers for your low health. :lol

Segata Sanshiro said:
I'm glad you had a good time.

I wish I wasn't so stubborn. I fucking hate this game but I won't let myself walk away until I beat it.

Why waste your time playing more if you completely hate it? Especially, with so many games out this October and November. Or are you just playing to gather more material to bitch about?

keltickennedy said:
Why waste your time playing more if you completely hate it? Especially, with so many games out this October and November. Or are you just playing to gather more material to bitch about?
So many games out this October and November? For you, maybe. I've got nothing else on my calender until Sonic Colors DS next month. And I'm sticking with it because that's what I do. That alright with you?

d0c_zaius

Segata Sanshiro said:
So many games out this October and November? For you, maybe. I've got nothing else on my calender until Sonic Colors DS next month. And I'm sticking with it because that's what I do. That alright with you?

Well considering you can't play it without actually puking (which says something about your stomach), maybe you should try something else :lol .

d0c_zaius said:
Well considering you can't play it without actually puking, maybe you should try something else :lol .
I paid my hundred bucks, I am going to see the bloody ending. Getting save-glitched basically ensured that. Plus, my nausea is okay if I take dramamine, which I bought a bulk bottle of when I got the game.

Segata Sanshiro said:

It was just an honest question, not looking to pick a fight or anything. Personally, I fucking hate black liquorish. I know I hate it cause I tried it once. If I were hungry and offered something to eat, and the only thing available was black liquorish....Fuck that, I still wouldn't eat it.

Peff

Segata Sanshiro said:
I paid my hundred bucks, I am going to see the bloody ending. Getting save-glitched basically ensured that. Plus, my nausea is okay if I take dramamine, which I bought a bulk bottle of when I got the game.

Can't you download a save file and keep going from there? I'm not far from where yours was erased...

keltickennedy said:
It was just an honest question, not looking to pick a fight or anything. Personally, I fucking hate black liquorish. I know I hate it cause I tried it once. If I were hungry and offered something to eat, and the only thing available was black liquorish....Fuck that, I still wouldn't eat it.
My stubborn nature is the stuff of legends. If I like a game, I'll probably finish it. If I'm so-so on a game, I'll rarely finish it. If I hate a game, I'll always finish it.

d0c_zaius

keltickennedy said:

Yup, unfortunately some people are more controlled by their ego than by logic.

Segata Sanshiro said:
My stubborn nature is the stuff of legends. If I like a game, I'll probably finish it. If I'm so-so on a game, I'll rarely finish it. If I hate a game, I'll always finish it.

So, you like-hate Lords of Shadow. That's better than thinking it's merely so-so.

Dascu

I'd buy a PC version and finish it, even though I think it's a gross example of everything wrong with gaming these days.

jett

D-Member
d0c_zaius said:
Really?..............Reallly?

? I'm playing on hard, the game is kind of a decent challenge, frustratingly so sometimes. Camera has worked against me so many times. :|

Segata: hundred bucks holy crap I hope you can return it. :p I traded in a game and paid only 40, fortunately.

LiK

jett said:
? I'm playing on hard, the game is kind of a decent challenge, frustratingly so sometimes. Camera has worked against me so many times. :|

Segata: hundred bucks holy crap I hope you can return it. :p I traded in a game and paid only 40, fortunately.
Camera placement is not the best, ill agree with that.

jett said:

Import fees are a bitch, unfortunately. Especially with the fastest shipping.

d0c_zaius

Segata Sanshiro said:
Yeah, it's totally my ego. Fuck off.

and you were totally the person in this thread I was talking about (people coming in to complain that they are "too good" for this game). Get out of my ass and relax :lol . Its video games dude.

But yea you seem like a pretty humble guy. What else would you call playing a game that you hate and makes you physically ill if for no other reason than being stubborn?

yes I will agree some of the camera switching is sketchy, but I tend to hate fixed camera angles in general.

forrest

formerly nacire
Dascu said:
I'd buy a PC version and finish it, even though I think it's a gross example of everything wrong with gaming these days.

I must have a weird taste in games. Games like Mass Effect 2, Red Dead Redemption and Demon's Souls all piqued my interest enough to buy them and while I've enjoyed all 3 quite a bit, I find it hard to get the motivation to put them in the tray and actually finish them.

However, Castlevania:LoS and Darksiders are two games this year I absolutely could not get enough of! I devoured Darksiders on PS3, got all of the trophies and recently just replayed it on PC and enjoyed it equally all over again. Castlevania is in the same boat for me. I imagine I'll have the platinum very soon if time permits.

I'm not really sure what it is of the former vs. the latter, but I know it sucks wanting to play a game, having good games on your shelf to finish and just not feeling bothered enough to put them in.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
With Vanquish still 5 days away, I'm contemplating going through the game on a different difficulty. I only played through on normal, but I have all the gems now. Not to mention all the moves I wanted. :p

Does Paladin give you more exp per enemy, or is it the same?

nacire said:
I must have a weird taste in games. Games like Mass Effect 2, Red Dead Redemption and Demon's Souls all piqued my interest enough to buy them and while I've enjoyed all 3 quite a bit, I find it hard to get the motivation to put them in the tray and actually finish them.

However, Castlevania:LoS and Darksiders are two games this year I absolutely could not get enough of! I devoured Darksiders on PS3, got all of the trophies and recently just replayed it on PC and enjoyed it equally all over again. Castlevania is in the same boat for me. I imagine I'll have the platinum very soon if time permits.

I'm not really sure what it is of the former vs. the latter, but I know it sucks wanting to play a game, having good games on your shelf to finish and just not feeling bothered enough to put them in.

Darksiders is far and away a much more enjoyable game than both Mass Effect 2 and RDR. They just have better publicity and more exposure.

(I own all three of those games, and enjoy them, but Darksiders was AWESOME)

...of course Demon's Souls is like, magical...

[Nintex]

So I'm at chapter 8... and I could use a little help
The Clocktower thingy, there's a crank that is supposed to move a platform up so I can cross to the other side. I've managed to activate it once, I'm on a higher floor now but the damn thing won't work. I keep rotating that crank and it keeps falling back, if I wait for the animation of the damn thing to finish, Gabriel doesn't hold the crank, if I start pushing the thing right away that shit isn't working.

Other than this, a smooth and awesome ride so far.

Tokubetsu

thetrin said:
With Vanquish still 5 days away, I'm contemplating going through the game on a different difficulty. I only played through on normal, but I have all the gems now. Not to mention all the moves I wanted. :p

Does Paladin give you more exp per enemy, or is it the same?

Darksiders is far and away a much more enjoyable game than both Mass Effect 2 and RDR. They just have better publicity and more exposure.

(I own all three of those games, and enjoy them, but Darksiders was AWESOME)

...of course Demon's Souls is like, magical...

I'm just glad that the 3rd person action/adventure genre seems to be coming back. Loved this and Darksiders a ton! Loved the art in Darksiders too! I love my epic comic book fantasy :D

Top Bottom