• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow |OT| The MercurySteam has Vanquished the Horrible Night

canadian crowe said:
I actually feel like the game didn't do a good enough job telling me my moves. I had
No idea how to do a ground point until chapter 6.

You didn't see the explanation in the book when you bought the moves? With the awesome hand drawn animations? That's one of my favorite things in the game! :lol

LiK

Blast Processing said:
You didn't see the explanation in the book when you bought the moves? With the awesome hand drawn animations? That's one of my favorite things in the game! :lol

yea, all the hand drawn animations for the moves were pretty cool. made it pretty easy to figure out.

Blast Processing said:
Haha I noticed them for sure, but I'm a button masher so I never really look at combos or anything. I just buy them and continue mashing square square triangle.

canadian crowe said:
I actually liked chapter 2 for some reason. It's just that the first half feels like a lord of the rings game.

Yeah, I'm diggin it. I think I'm on 2-3 on my way to the
Werewolf Lord
. He sounds pretty beastly.

canadian crowe said:
I actually liked chapter 2 for some reason. It's just that the first half feels like a lord of the rings game.

just finished chapter 2, &, yeah, i was surprised, after reading the number of comments up here trashing it, by how much i liked it. i'm thinking not being a castlevania fan has something to do with it?...

LiK

semiconscious said:
just finished chapter 2, &, yeah, i was surprised, after reading the number of comments up here trashing it, by how much i liked it. i'm thinking not being a castlevania fan has something to do with it?...

cuz the best has yet to come.

forrest

formerly nacire
canadian crowe said:
I actually feel like the game didn't do a good enough job telling me my moves. I had
No idea how to do a ground point until chapter 6.

canadian crowe said:
Haha I noticed them for sure, but I'm a button masher so I never really look at combos or anything. I just buy them and continue mashing square square triangle.

:lol

i'm on the first level of chapter 3 and where am i supposed to get dark energy from to hit this statue through the wall? there is plenty of light energy to be had after i jump the wall, but no dark energy to be found anywhere in the level... unless i'm missing something?

NeoUltima

FrenchMovieTheme said:
i'm on the first level of chapter 3 and where am i supposed to get dark energy from to hit this statue through the wall? there is plenty of light energy to be had after i jump the wall, but no dark energy to be found anywhere in the level... unless i'm missing something?
Those orbs can fill light and/or dark. Push in left stick to fill light magic. Push in right stick to fill dark magic.

Baka Zeitgeist

pluck my tasty grapes
FrenchMovieTheme said:

Press in the analogue sticks when gathering energy, Left for light, Right for dark....

forrest

formerly nacire
canadian crowe said:
I know I know. I was referring to the l2 moves which are simple and essential.

I also beat bayonetta without finding any of the weapons except for the sword and the claws.

:D I was just poking fun! I still haven't played Bayonetta aside from the demo, I really need to pick that one up though.

After playing more I can honestly say this is my favorite action game this Gen, I loved Bayonetta's combat system but the story was SO bad I was just playing the game for the combat, however Castlevanias setting alone puts it ahead of Bayonetta for me.

nacire said:
Yeah I know, it was that or Darksiders. Not sure anything would have won my purchase over Darksiders. I did see a thread that it was selling on the cheap.
Darksiders was a good choice. I enjoyed it more than Bayonetta, but Bayonetta was awesome. It's a great change of pace from the typical action game (ninja gaiden et al)

NeoUltima said:
Those orbs can fill light and/or dark. Push in left stick to fill light magic. Push in right stick to fill dark magic.

Or push in both to get both.

canadian crowe said:
Darksiders was a good choice. I enjoyed it more than Bayonetta, but Bayonetta was awesome. It's a great change of pace from the typical action game (ninja gaiden et al)

I bought both at the same time(left over Christmas cash).

jett

D-Member
Oh man I'm at a platforming section right now(
titan graveyard
)...so awful. Fucking awful. Haven't suffered platforming so poorly designed in an action game since god knows when. Not just that part, but throughout the entire game. A lot of ill-conceived game design decision up in this bitch.

Amir0x

Banned
jett said:
Oh man I'm at a platforming section right now(
titan graveyard
)...so awful. Fucking awful. Haven't suffered platforming so poorly designed in an action game since god knows when. Not just that part, but throughout the entire game. A lot of ill-conceived game design decision up in this bitch.

The music is nice though isn't it

Amir0x

Banned
which one? Labyrinth? That's my favorite piece in the game. Especially the part around a minute 30 seconds... fantastic actually

or Waterfalls of Agharta?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Amir0x said:
which one? Labyrinth? That's my favorite piece in the game. Especially the part around a minute 30 seconds... fantastic actually

or Waterfalls of Agharta?
No, it's not on the OST I think. Waterfalls of Agartha is great.

Ricker

Was hoping to maybe finish this tonight but i`m not in the mood at all for the annoying music Box puzzle/stuff right now :lol

I`ll try it tomorrow.

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
Yay! Finally unban! :D

Beated the game 3 days after getting the game and I loved it!

To me it's like a good mix of several games I like.

It reminded me to GOW due to the vistas and the combat.

To DMC because of some goth architectures and monsters, and also the liberty of the combat, you can link any attack as you wish and that is something GOW lacked IMO.

Then we have the obvious homage to Shadow of the Colossus, which gave me a taste of what SotC could be in HD and I love it! :D

The story was good, but I wish there was more input in Gabriel,
I wish you could see in his face or in his look, how he turns more "evil" as Zobek says he does.
Also I wanted him to talk more, or react... but not on Nathan Drake level, I mean, it wouldn't fit him at all.

Still I love every part of it and I love that I can go back and replay each level.

But it sucks you can't view the cutscenes as you please, oh well, you can't have everything. Now to the spoiler thread!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Amir0x said:
there's like 12 themes plz
The soundtrack is pretty great. I'd like to see the composer reimagine some more classic CV tunes. He did a great job at just subtly touching on some classic numbers. Waterfalls of Agartha is how I'd remake music if I was doing a reboot: the tribute to the original is SO well done. If you aren't aware of what is going on, it feels fresh and new. And if you are, you get it and appreciate it.

Amir0x

Banned
-DarKaoZ- said:
Then we have the obvious homage to Shadow of the Colossus, which gave me a taste of what SotC could be in HD and I love it! :D

If Shadow of the Colossus had all the fun sucked out of it and replaced with hilariously obtuse hand swatting telegraphs.

Y2Kev said:
The soundtrack is pretty great. I'd like to see the composer reimagine some more classic CV tunes. He did a great job at just subtly touching on some classic numbers. Waterfalls of Agartha is how I'd remake music if I was doing a reboot: the tribute to the original is SO well done. If you aren't aware of what is going on, it feels fresh and new. And if you are, you get it and appreciate it.

Yup yup. Definitely a good soundtrack. Some pieces fall into that "trying too hard to be epic" pit, but most of them are just phenomenal.

forrest

formerly nacire
andymcc said:
you made the wrong choice.

haters_gonna_hate3pc4k.jpg

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
Amir0x said:
If Shadow of the Colossus had all the fun sucked out of it and replaced with hilariously obtuse hand swatting telegraphs.

Oh come on, it wasn't that bad. It's a homage and it was fun, it was more straight forward but it's not like SotC wasn't after locating the weak spots.

I mean I think it was a good homage, way better than others who have tried.

-DarKaoZ- said:
Oh come on, it wasn't that bad. It's a homage and it was fun, it was more straight forward but it's not like SotC wasn't after locating the weak spots.

Despite the extremely small move set, SotC doesn't limit you to the point of feeling like an overly drawn-out scripted sequence.

-DarKaoZ- said:
I mean I think it was a good homage, way better than others who have tried.

Who else has tried to imitate SotC?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
The GB QL looked cool but the demo (which I quit at the horse-riding bit) seemed really lame (I hate it when a game pauses for tutorials).

Can anyone pitch me this game in a few sentences? It looks like it has that RE4-esque long, epic adventure feel, but that's hard to determine from demos.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
SotC was an entire game built around nothing but colossi battles.

The colossus battles in this game are merely standard bosses evoking that style of boss. Of course the resolution and fidelity of the mechanics is going to be lower than SotC, but that doesn't mean they're not fun.

Whether people like it or not, thanks to SotC, the "giant traversal boss" is now standard video game design lexiocon. We'll see it show up as a stock character.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Rez said:
The GB QL looked cool but the demo (which I quit at the horse-riding bit) seemed really lame (I hate it when a game pauses for tutorials).

Can anyone pitch me this game in a few sentences? It looks like it has that RE4-esque long, epic adventure feel, but that's hard to determine from demos.

An incredibly varied adventure in terms of locals, with no backtracking and an almost totally fresh environment every single chapter and sometimes every single stage. Twice as long as the typical action adventure this generation.

An equally wide variety of NPCs who don't overstay their welcome and become shitty friends, with some genuinely unexpected twists and turns in the plot.

Solid beat-em-up gameplay that requires more of a brain than God of War and has a great variety without requiring weapon switching and management. Lots of Uncharted style platforming and terrain grappling.

On the whole a game that is more than the sum of its parts and overshadows its rough edges from a team that truly cares about the product and merely suffers freshman jitters - their first time in the big money drivers' seat.

Rez said:

From what I've played so far, the demo is actually the worst part of the game. I have no idea what they were thinking there.

Kaijima said:
SotC was an entire game built around nothing but colossi battles.

So, what, this somehow makes bad rip-offs of its system good?

Kaijima said:
The colossus battles in this game are merely standard bosses evoking that style of boss. Of course the resolution and fidelity of the mechanics is going to be lower than SotC, but that doesn't mean they're not fun.

But it wasn't fun, it's a big cool looking spectacle, but it wasn't fun.

Kaijima said:
Whether people like it or not, thanks to SotC, the "giant traversal boss" is now standard video game design lexiocon. We'll see it show up as a stock character.

1) I don't care if more people adopt big battles, make them fun(first and foremost).

2) None of those games aped SotC on quite the level LoS did.

GoW3 had one, wasn't remotely similar to SotC in terms of how it played.

Bayonetta had one, wasn't remotely similar to SotC in terms of how it played.

Sidzed2

Rez said:

Well if you really didn't like the tutorial, you probably won't like the full game. I thought the demo level, and the ensuing couple of hours was merely pretty decent. However, the remaining 15-18 hours are pretty amazing, epic and enjoyable.

To sum the game up and 'sell' it to you, what LoS offers is a lenghty, action-packed quest which actually feels like an epic journey, packed with some of the best boss fights in good, long while and some truly gorgeous visuals and music. The game is technically ragged in places, and some elements of its design (weird camera angles and sketchy platforming) frustrate, but overall this is just one of those games packed full of memorable vistas, bosses, tunes and 'moments'. It's one of those games which reeks of the love and passion of its creators, its one of those games with enormous replay value, and its one of those games which, although its far from perfect, will be fondly remembered for years to come (mark my words).

Kaijima said:
An incredibly varied adventure in terms of locals, with no backtracking and an almost totally fresh environment every single chapter and sometimes every single stage. Twice as long as the typical action adventure this generation.

An equally wide variety of NPCs who don't overstay their welcome and become shitty friends, with some genuinely unexpected twists and turns in the plot.

Solid beat-em-up gameplay that requires more of a brain than God of War and has a great variety without requiring weapon switching and management. Lots of Uncharted style platforming and terrain grappling.

On the whole a game that is more than the sum of its parts and overshadows its rough edges from a team that truly cares about the product and merely suffers freshman jitters - their first time in the big money drivers' seat.

Or, you know, THIS.

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
Fimbulvetr said:
Who else has tried to imitate SotC?

Most games with huge bosses that require to hit them in weak spots. DMC4 comes to mind, but I have seen other games do that, but I can't recall their names.

CV:LoS doesn't try to do something out of the ordinary, they just simplify SotC formula to something more straight forward and that is OK to me. It still is the closest imitation I have seen and even if it's straight forward it still was enjoyable.

I still don't see what is the huge problem on the big bosses, the last one was the most fun for me though.

-DarKaoZ- said:
Most games with huge bosses that require to hit them in weak spots. DMC4 comes to mind, but I have seen other games do that, but I can't recall their names.

The Savior battle didn't play at all like SotC.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Sidzed2 said:
Well if you really didn't like the tutorial, you probably won't like the full game. I thought the demo level, and the ensuing couple of hours was merely pretty decent. However, the remaining 15-18 hours are pretty amazing, epic and enjoyable.

To sum the game up and 'sell' it to you, what LoS offers is a lenghty, action-packed quest which actually feels like an epic journey, packed with some of the best boss fights in good, long while and some truly gorgeous visuals and music. The game is technically ragged in places, and some elements of its design (weird camera angles and sketchy platforming) frustrate, but overall this is just one of those games packed full of memorable vistas, bosses, tunes and 'moments'. It's one of those games which reeks of the love and passion of its creators, its one of those games with enormous replay value, and its one of those games which, although its far from perfect, will be fondly remembered for years to come (mark my words).

Or, you know, THIS.

Kaijima said:
Thanks for the write-up, guys. There's something nice (or, at least, kind of endearing) about playing a game with a few hiccups every now and then when it's from a new team lucky enough to have a budget to make something of this scale.

Segata Sanshiro said:
From what I've played so far, the demo is actually the worst part of the game. I have no idea what they were thinking there.
Yeah, I was kind of hoping for something along these lines re: the demo.

Belfast

Fimbulvetr said:
So, what, this somehow makes bad rip-offs of its system good?

Yes, yes it does. Once you realize that your measure of fun is purely subjective and that the mechanical execution of the battles are, at the very least, adequate.

Belfast said:
Yes, yes it does. Once you realize that your measure of fun is purely subjective and that the mechanical execution of the battles are, at the very least, adequate.

Opinions are.... opinions!!!!!11

Omigawd, no wai.

Oh, but your opinion is completely objective, okay then. Thanks for clarifying how that worked.

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
Fimbulvetr said:
The Savior battle didn't play at all like SotC.

It's a homage, the idea is there: "hit the weak spots to kill huge boss".

I never said a imitation or a exact copy, LoS is the closest to it and I think it was as fun as SotC but more limited and that is ok, as long as it's not unplayable.

Belfast

Fimbulvetr said:
Opinions are.... opinions!!!!!11

Omigawd, no wai.

Oh, but your opinion is completely objective, okay then. Thanks for clarifying how that worked.

It's not an opinion. The battles are technically well-done and mechanically sound. There are no mysteries being withheld from the player in terms of what to do (well, enough to make it a slight platforming puzzle), and it follows a logical sequence of events from beginning to end.

To say that they were "bad" rip-offs would imply that each encounter is riddled with bugs and/or is patently unfair to complete.

Top Bottom