• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow |OT| The MercurySteam has Vanquished the Horrible Night

forrest

formerly nacire
thetrin said:
Does Paladin give you more exp per enemy, or is it the same?

I'm not for certain, but after beating it on Knight and doing challenges on Squire, I feel like I'm getting less XP.

thetrin said:
Darksiders is far and away a much more enjoyable game than both Mass Effect 2 and RDR. They just have better publicity and more exposure.

(I own all three of those games, and enjoy them, but Darksiders was AWESOME)

...of course Demon's Souls is like, magical...

Yeah man, I absolutely love Darksiders as well! Demon's Souls I really liked a lot, but again I had things come up and I couldn't keep with it. I guess my lack of desire to go back to it for now is that I'll have to start over. I know I don't really have to, but I like playing games from beginning to end while I'm into them.

[Nintex]

brandonh83 said:
Simply press R2 to grab it, and let go of R2. Commence crankin'.

Yeah, it's dumb.
Thanks, it works now I guess we should learn to let go :lol

Darkgran said:
All you people saying this game gets better and better WERE NOT LYING.

Holy S***
Yep, I can't wait to see how it ends :D

forrest

formerly nacire
brandonh83 said:
:lol :lol :lol awesome reply.

So true! When I first figured out the mechanic behind that crank, after a few minutes of scratching my head, all I could think of was, "Man the haters are going to have a ball with this part!" :lol

yoopoo

Banned
Incredible game, flows so well from start to finish. Combat is amazing and puzzles are actually fun to figure out. Barely and slow parts in the game...keeps getting better and better.

Loved the last cutscene. Good to see Kojima had nothing to do with this game.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Darkgran said:
All you people saying this game gets better and better WERE NOT LYING.

Holy S***

So fucking true. :)

Amir0x

Banned
RavenFox said:
I'm scratching my head here. I posted pics a few pages back. Just keep playing Jett.

No pics can change what he's talking about. Having seen areas both early and late in action in front of my eyes, he's undoubtedly right. Castlevania has abysmal image quality, jagged edges and nasty, noisy look that undermines all its art direction consistently.

Again, to avoid needless NUH-UH-ing, we're obviously not talking about whether you on a personal basis can overlook these issues. We know, we know... the framerate can be 2fps and the jaggies could cut your eyelids and you'll keep playing, we're just saying the problems are factually there.

Ledsen

[Nintex] said:
So I'm at chapter 8... and I could use a little help
The Clocktower thingy, there's a crank that is supposed to move a platform up so I can cross to the other side. I've managed to activate it once, I'm on a higher floor now but the damn thing won't work. I keep rotating that crank and it keeps falling back, if I wait for the animation of the damn thing to finish, Gabriel doesn't hold the crank, if I start pushing the thing right away that shit isn't working.

Other than this, a smooth and awesome ride so far.

If you hold R2/RT, Gabriel will let go... you have to press it just once without holding.

edit: too late

So just wondering, why the hell do you think chapter 2 was designed with so many more levels then the rest of the chapters. Just seems a bit odd. Maybe they couldn't figure out a way to split that chapter up and make an additional chapter? Just odd being such a early part of the game with such a huge ammount of levels compared to later.

Amir0x

Banned
slasher_thrasher21 said:
So just wondering, why the hell do you think chapter 2 was designed with so many more levels then the rest of the chapters. Just seems a bit odd. Maybe they couldn't figure out a way to split that chapter up and make an additional chapter? Just odd being such a early part of the game with such a huge ammount of levels compared to later.

Chapter 5 has a lot of levels too. After that it's just two or three levels per chapter though

Amir0x

Banned
The Bookerman said:
How the hell can I find that first
Chupacabra in the fortress

There's no visual hint to where he is?

right before you head up the stairs if you move to the right there is a path you can take jumping on a few platforms. he's in that room

Ricker

I can`t believe some people are actually hating on the graphics in this game,jesus,to each is own I guess but the thing is beautiful,so detailed and the art is awesome...oh well.

Amir0x said:
right before you head up the stairs if you move to the right there is a path you can take jumping on a few platforms. he's in that room

I'm on a platform where he seems to be... it's a statue though that looks like it? Should I look some more?

LiK

The Bookerman said:
I'm on a platform where he seems to be... it's a statue though that looks like it? Should I look some more?

there's a wall to your right if you're facing the castle doors. climb ledges and he's up there near the magic refill statue.

Amir0x

Banned
Ricker said:
I can`t believe some people are actually hating on the graphics in this game,jesus,to each is own I guess but the thing is beautiful,so detailed and the art is awesome...oh well.

Really, and we have a technical discussion thread for this, but I think Castlevania's graphics are one of the most overrated pieces about the game. It really is a hugely mixed bag. It's got a wide variety of locations, but the quality of the visuals vary equally with locale. Texture quality can be good, or it can be terrible. The entire game is awash with atrocious image quality, just gross looking sloppy noise and jaggies. The framerate is just catastrophically bad.

Yes, the art direction is nice but there is no way the game isn't being held back by what it does wrong. I can articulate why this is quite easily, so while it doesn't impact you (and others here) at the same level, to act shocked that others DO find issue with the games many, many visual flaws is a bit silly.

The Bookerman said:

Did he
steal your gear yet?
If so, then yes follow him in that room, climb up and around the platforms and grab him when you reach the ledge with the stone statue that looks like him. Finish level.

forrest

formerly nacire
Amir0x said:
No pics can change what he's talking about. Having seen areas both early and late in action in front of my eyes, he's undoubtedly right. Castlevania has abysmal image quality, jagged edges and nasty, noisy look that undermines all its art direction consistently.

Again, to avoid needless NUH-UH-ing, we're obviously not talking about whether you on a personal basis can overlook these issues. We know, we know... the framerate can be 2fps and the jaggies could cut your eyelids and you'll keep playing, we're just saying the problems are factually there.

I absolutely love the look of the game overall, but I agree on a lot of your points. Many textures come across as overly noisy, a lot of ground textures in particular. The biggest offender of being an eyesore to me is the 1 bit alpha mapping used on the low resolution twigs, branches, plants, foliage, etc. It's passable when simply moving around quickly, but there is no doubt if you stop to look at it, or by chance it gets stuck up close in camera view, it's really distracting and not very conducive to a higher grade of image quality.

Amir0x said:
Chapter 5 has a lot of levels too. After that it's just two or three levels per chapter though

Yeah I just completed that chapter last night. Though got stuck on a part and looked up a guide and was surprised to see the further chapters with alot less levels. Guess it really doesn't matter though depending on the length of the levels.

Glix

Finished Chapter 8 this morning.

Holy hell, this game just keeps getting better and better and better.

Truth time -
If I were Gabe might have been too tempted by those tits to kill her :D

Amir0x

Banned
~Devil Trigger~ said:
wow

second titan is the most unfun thing i do this year, seriously, who approved this shit

it's just a blatant SotC rip. It requires no skill and virtually no thought. I'm just amused they decided to do this shit more than once in the game. I mean really, one disgustingly obvious homage isn't enough, you need TWO? It's not like they managed to figure out why SotC was actually fun either in the process :lol

jett

D-Member
Amir0x said:
it's just a blatant SotC rip. It requires no skill and virtually no thought. I'm just amused they decided to do this shit more than once in the game. I mean really, one disgustingly obvious homage isn't enough, you need TWO? It's not like they managed to figure out why SotC was actually fun either in the process :lol

power_glove.jpg

It's so bad.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
~Devil Trigger~ said:
wow

second titan is the most unfun thing i do this year, seriously, who approved this shit

It's terrible because the game does a pretty bad job of eliciting exactly how you get on the boss (and then subsequently avoid its attempts to smack you off its body), especially when what you're SUPPOSED to do is the EXACT opposite of what you did on the last titan.

"Choose your time to strike" is terrible direction. It implies that you have to wait for the titan to stop throwing rocks, and then move into latch onto something that maybe you don't see until you're very close to it. Then you get close and she says "GET AWAY FROM IT GABRIEL!"

At that point, you're frustrated because the titan doesn't seem to be doing anything particularly dangerous when you're "close-ish", but will murder you if you're smack dab next to it.

All said and done, the Stone Titan is pretty badly designed.

Amir0x said:

The titans in general suffer from something that SOME of the platforming suffers from: a total inability to communicate direction visually (other than the hamfisted glowing ledges).

i think one think SotC did so amazingly was communicate very clearly, early on, what surfaces you can and cannot hold on to. Granted, it reinforces this over and over again throughout the entire game until it becomes second nature. Not only are titan surfaces not consistent between fights, but you only face them once every 3-4 chapters.

Glix said:

Truth time -
When
she transformed, I yelled out loud "Oh god, not attracted to you at all now! Very okay with killing you!

Ledsen

thetrin said:
It's terrible because the game does a pretty bad job of eliciting exactly how you get on the boss (and then subsequently avoid its attempts to smack you off its body), especially when what you're SUPPOSED to do is the EXACT opposite of what you did on the last titan.

"Choose your time to strike" is terrible direction. It implies that you have to wait for the titan to stop throwing rocks, and then move into latch onto something that maybe you don't see until you're very close to it. Then you get close and she says "GET AWAY FROM IT GABRIEL!"

At that point, you're frustrated because the titan doesn't seem to be doing anything particularly dangerous when you're "close-ish", but will murder you if you're smack dab next to it.

All said and done, the Stone Titan is pretty badly designed.

That shit was horrible. Every time I broke a symbol I saw the huge hand coming, climbed back a bit and waited until it smacked down. Saw it glowing, tried grabbing it with the whip... nothing happened. Tried climbing as close as possible and grab it... nothing happened. After a few seconds he swiped me off automatically and I had to climb up again. I never figured that shit out and I was so pissed that I basically had to redo the whole boss after every symbol.

forrest

formerly nacire
thetrin said:
i think one think SotC did so amazingly was communicate very clearly, early on, what surfaces you can and cannot hold on to. Granted, it reinforces this over and over again throughout the entire game until it becomes second nature. Not only are titan surfaces not consistent between fights, but you only face them once every 3-4 chapters.

If they didn't limit the move set to what you should be doing while scaling walls or if they removed the glow on certain ledges then there would be way to much trial and error even for me. I think tightening up the design so that you're move set is never limited but you have a clearer idea of what you should be doing is the right way to go. That being said, I really do enjoy the wall scaling and whip swinging in the game. It's one of my favorite aspects.

Glix said:

Truth time -

When I saw her in the vids I thought she had pretty nerdy nun aesthetic...but in the game she is definitely pleasing to the eye...far more so than his wife actually. But I suppose if you average across both her forms, then his wife definitely takes the cup cake...although not the cup size

RedAssedApe

Banned
I just beat the first Titan on Knight difficulty. Can you actually beat this boss without being smacked off a few times or did I completely miss some visual cue from the second rune on how to avoid his stupid hand? :lol

henhowc said:
I just beat the first Titan on Knight difficulty. Can you actually beat this boss without being smacked off a few times or did I completely miss some visual cue from the second rune on how to avoid his stupid hand? :lol

Thanks to the camera angles you can actually be smacked off pretty often by the hand. It relies on blatant memorization.

LiK said:
yea, trial and error. never seen that before in games.

"GIANT HAND FROM OFFSCREEN! Have fun waiting for the slow lumbering giant to get in position so you can finally climb it again. lololol"

How joyous.

Fimbulvetr said:
"GIANT HAND FROM OFFSCREEN! Have fun waiting for the slow lumbering giant to get in position so you can finally climb it again. lololol"

How joyous.

I thought those hand attacks were telegraphed fairly obviously by the way the camera shifts before they happen, specifically for the ones on the titan's back and temple.

Blast Processing said:
I thought those hand attacks were telegraphed fairly obviously by the way the camera shifts before they happen, specifically for the ones on the titan's back and temple.

Some of them, yeah. Others? They somehow managed to make the prompt for a giant attack subtle.

LiK

Fimbulvetr said:

How joyous.

the camera panned out a lil to show the hands coming and they even included checkpoints after certain sequences so you don't restart from the beginning. it wasn't that bad. the game gave you more hints than SotC, imo.

LiK

canadian crowe said:
This game gets amazing at chapter 7. I feel like they could have started it at chapter 6 and the game would have been better off for it.

i think Chapter 2 should've been scrapped except for the boss fights and it would've been better.

LiK said:
the camera panned out a lil to show the hands coming and they even included checkpoints after certain sequences so you don't restart from the beginning. it wasn't that bad. the game gave you more hints than SotC, imo.

The titans usually began moving before the camera pans too.

They're just terribly mediocre fights in an otherwise okay game.

SoTC had the benefit of letting you view a colossus' full body unless you were on it, in which case your grip meter was what you should be paying attention to.

LiK

canadian crowe said:
I actually liked chapter 2 for some reason. It's just that the first half feels like a lord of the rings game.

yea, they spent a lot of time training you to fight in Chapter 2

Fimbulvetr said:
The titans usually began moving before the camera pans too.

They're just terribly mediocre fights in an otherwise okay game.

SoTC had the benefit of letting you view a colossus' full body unless you were on it, in which case your grip meter was what you should be paying attention to.

i agree that the camera was a tad too close during certain segments.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Blast Processing said:

I had no trouble dodging the hands when I was running along the titan's arm but when you're gripping his chest, back, and head, are you supposed to use the same direction+ A button mechanic? Maybe I was confused because there was no explicit screen prompt for this like there was for everything else?

LiK

henhowc said:
I had no trouble dodging the hands when I was running along the titan's arm but when you're gripping his chest, back, and head, are you supposed to use the same direction+ A button mechanic? Maybe I was confused because there was no explicit screen prompt for this like there was for everything else?

no prompts, just moving around like you're on a ledge to avoid the hands.

LiK

henhowc said:
Ah ic. I guess I made it harder than it is. I got smacked off three different times but was able to survive. :lol

yea, that wasn't apparent the first time but i quickly figured that out after one wack.

Top Bottom