• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow |OT| The MercurySteam has Vanquished the Horrible Night

.la1n

Next game thread title: mercury steam vanquishes the horrible frame rate? We can hope. As a side, finally finished the game and thought the last few chapters were the best by far. Hope they can make a great followup with what they have learned.

The framerate was bit distracting, but after about an hour of gameplay I didn't notice it anymore.

Don't let the framerate discussion prevent you from playing this awesome game,

Nemesis_

FirstInHell said:
The framerate was bit distracting, but after about an hour of gameplay I didn't notice it anymore.

And so the cycle begins again.

I agree with you

FirstInHell said:

No, instead choose one of many other problems with the game to prevent you from playing it.

Ledsen

Amir0x said:

Let me highlight for you

Let me not just highlight for you, but define the meaning:

Outside of a short section in chapter four, the game RARELY EVER stays in the 30s. In other words, almost the entire game is in the 20s or lower.

Digital Foundry. Case closed. Excuses denied. Time to go to sleep.

That doesn't prove anything unless they actually provide the numbers. Assuming it's true though, it doesn't say anything about it being consistently 24 fps or below, only that it rarely goes above 30.

Tarin02543

Ugh, glad that I did not buy this game. If you are having trouble maintaining a steady 30 frames per second there is something bad going on.

I am sure the NES original had a higher framerate than that.

I think it was only the bog level that fucked with my eyes with how jarring the frame rate was. Everything else wasn't a hinderance to gameplay at all.

Anyway. Having completed the game, I have to say that I loved it. Chapter 11... WHAT!? This came from the same team that made the earlier levels? I can't wait to see what they do with a sequel after that amazing ending. *Bow*

jett said:
That's just the demo, the truth of the matter is that the framerate varies greatly throughout the entire game. I'd say the game probably runs worst in its first two chapters.

I think both DF's and LOS's articles on Castlevania's framerate are pretty rubbish. They only analyze the first few levels and that's it.

Yup, just showing where the 24fps claim is coming from. MS/Konami could probably have avoided some of the backlash by choosing a different section for the demo.

Amir0x said:
That just means you have ZERO standards as regards for framerates. It is OK to have zero standards for this subject or another - it is not ok to claim the framerate isn't a major problem when a game like this has a framerate consistently at 24fps or less.

In other words, if Castlevania's framerate is not a major problem then you never consider framerates a major problem. That effectively means your opinion on framerates is worthless.

I don't think that's true. In this case it didn't bother me enough beyond chapter 2. It was very much present in Chapter 1 and 2, but with the lesser color and well, 'stuff' present in following chapters, the framerate became much more manageble and ultimately, neglectable. (PS3 version)

I have made a quite extensive post on this in the "30 or 60 fps" thread by jstevensohn (sorry if I butchered his name here), so I don't feel like repeating myself on the topic of framerate and user acceptance of 'lower' framerates (which in that topic, was 30 fps).

Either way, it is either so bad you stop playing or persist and take it as a fault, but not too much of a fault in the product. Judging from a playsession of a friend, the first thing that people seem to notice are QTE's getting in the way of gameplay or some other 'flaw' before even turning towards the framerate.

Obviously, I would rather see solid 30 fps in any game, but there is also slowdown of 'the good kind' in such things like EDF 2017. The real question is what criteria lie between 'bad fps' and 'good kind slowdown' and how that relates to how endusers percieve a game's design.
After all, we can only make guesses about why they happen to be there at one point and not other points in a game.

Amir0x

Banned
are you trying to imply the developer integrated the jittery, all-over-the-map framerate that is more often then not in the 20s or lower as some sort of intentional visual feature? :lol

God.

Anyway, we've been over this subject before, the facts are the facts so no use going in any more circles at this point. It's all been established. I played the entire game and the framerate is consistently awful throughout the experience with the exception of Chapter 4.

The more pressing question: why did the developers think it prudent to have not one, not two, but THREE lame terrible SotC type bosses? And why did the developer decide to make any puzzle centered around the requirement of doing the lame finnicky ground slam move in order to hit buttons on the floor? Gabriel couldn't decide which direction to go in half the time. Would have been way easy to just R2 to press the floor buttons christ

Spiegel

Amir0x said:
And why did the developer decide to make any puzzle centered around the requirement of doing the lame finnicky ground slam move in order to hit buttons on the floor? Gabriel couldn't decide which direction to go in half the time. Would have been way easy to just R2 to press the floor buttons christ

What? You were doing it wrong :lol

LT+Y/L2+Triangle is your friend.

jett

D-Member
Amir0x said:
Anyway, we've been over this subject before, the facts are the facts so no use going in any more circles at this point. It's all been established. I played the entire game and the framerate is consistently awful throughout the experience with the exception of Chapter 4.

Well this is bull! I've complained almost as much about the framerate as you, but that's just untrue. Large portions of the 3 last chapters run really smooth. The Cornell and Vampire Lord boss battles also run surprisingly well.

And why did the developer decide to make any puzzle centered around the requirement of doing the lame finnicky ground slam move in order to hit buttons on the floor? Gabriel couldn't decide which direction to go in half the time. Would have been way easy to just R2 to press the floor buttons christ

Amir0x fail.

Amir0x said:
are you trying to imply the developer integrated the jittery, all-over-the-map framerate that is more often then not in the 20s or lower as some sort of intentional visual feature? :lol

God.

I implied no such thing.

I only said that most people can deal with it and think that other aspects are far more "issue worthy" than the actual framerate as it is.

Amir0x said:

God.

The more pressing question: why did the developers think it prudent to have not one, not two, but THREE lame terrible SotC type bosses? And why did the developer decide to make any puzzle centered around the requirement of doing the lame finnicky ground slam move in order to hit buttons on the floor? Gabriel couldn't decide which direction to go in half the time. Would have been way easy to just R2 to press the floor buttons christ

HAHA seems like you were doing what I was doing until I realized my mistake. It annoyed the piss out of me thinking I had to jump into the air and ground slam the buttons and each time he never went in the direction I wanted him to. But then I realized that L2+triangle= stand still and pound the ground. No trouble after that.

Amir0x

Banned
and another thing, boy that musical level was fucking terrible. what a waste of a good idea! It was the level I was most excited to play before I got there. A true shame :(

and another thing, why did the bosses seem so fucking easy!? On the hardest difficulty even
Satan
felt like the easiest boss of all! Kinda let down by them all. Super easy telegraph blocks most of the time

Platforming is a fucking hot mess. Why the hell did the developer's allow Gabriel's hook to unlatch if you get too low? Sometimes you lower yourself in hopes of finding a secret, but the game never tells you how much is too low, and it just automatically unhooks. Fucking lame.

The story is :lol. Half the game is retarded bog standard mythological crap, and the the
Zobek thing
was so obvious I had to roll my eyes. Also, did anyone else LOL so fucking hard when Patrick Stewart did that fucking laugh of his near the end? It was almost FFX laughing scene bad. One doesn't even need to mention how cheesy and awful the diary readings were at the start of every level.

Puzzles were all pretty easy and lame (did enjoy the Zodiac one though), but there was nothing original here either. More mirror reflecting puzzles *yawn*

Combat system got a little better by the end, but still remained inferior to other likewise offerings in the genre. Needs a better dodge rolling system. Focus system worked well though as the game went on and was definitely the game's one real strong original idea.

**/****

jett said:
Well this is bull! I've complained almost as much about the framerate as you, but that's just untrue. Large portions of the 3 last chapters run really smooth. The Cornell and Vampire Lord boss battles also run surprisingly well.

Amir0x fail.

Hey, leave the poor guy alone. He's suffered a lot just playing through the game.

MoonsaultSlayer said:
HAHA seems like you were doing what I was doing until I realized my mistake. It annoyed the piss out of me thinking I had to jump into the air and ground slam the buttons and each time he never went in the direction I wanted him to. But then I realized that L2+triangle= stand still and pound the ground. No trouble after that.

It really is simple.

The issue here is taking an unmentioned(unless you read through all of the attack list, which I did) ability and making it mandatory.

MoonsaultSlayer said:

Oh.

I did that thing 'wrong' then. It worked, like after 99 tries. :\

Amir0x

Banned
MoonsaultSlayer said:

ah... well, that's my bad then. It was fucking pissing me off kept goddamn hitting the wrong button in that last puzzle in chapter 11. i thought i was done with it in the electrical puzzle level

Amir0x said:
and another thing, boy that musical level was fucking terrible. what a waste of a good idea! It was the level I was most excited to play before I got there. A true shame :(

and another thing, why did the bosses seem so fucking easy!? On the hardest difficulty even
Satan
felt like the easiest boss of all! Kinda let down by them all. Super easy telegraph blocks most of the time

Platforming is a fucking hot mess. Why the hell did the developer's allow Gabriel's hook to unlatch if you get too low? Sometimes you lower yourself in hopes of finding a secret, but the game never tells you how much is too low, and it just automatically unhooks. Fucking lame.

The story is :lol. Half the game is retarded bog standard mythological crap, and the the
Zobek thing
was so obvious I had to roll my eyes. Also, did anyone else LOL so fucking hard when Patrick Stewart did that fucking laugh of his near the end? It was almost FFX laughing scene bad. One doesn't even need to mention how cheesy and awful the diary readings were at the start of every level.

Puzzles were all pretty easy and lame (did enjoy the Zodiac one though), but there was nothing original here either. More mirror reflecting puzzles *yawn*

Combat system got a little better by the end, but still remained inferior to other likewise offerings in the genre. Needs a better dodge rolling system. Focus system worked well though as the game went on and was definitely the game's one real strong original idea.

**/****

Cool, you didn't like it. I loved it. I sense a certain elitist opinion here where you're telling everyone why it sucked and should be viewed this way by everyone who calls themselves a self respecting gamer and that no one should tolerate sub 60 fps and any other standard you've set based on your review.

I personally loved the music box. I wish it had gone on longer but for the sake of balance and game length, i see why they wouldn't want to do that.

Amir0x

Banned
MoonsaultSlayer said:
Cool, you didn't like it. I loved it. I sense a certain elitist opinion here where you're telling everyone why it sucked and should be viewed this way by everyone who calls themselves a self respecting gamer and that no one should tolerate sub 60 fps and any other standard you've set based on your review.

projection

MoonsaultSlayer said:
I personally loved the music box. I wish it had gone on longer but for the sake of balance and game length, i see why they wouldn't want to do that.

Problem with Music Box was each direction just repeated challenges in a different order. For example, if it was red you'd have to jump across a series of platforms, if it was purple you'd have to roll under blades.

Each path should have presented a series of new challenges. Instead, it was all redundant and boring.

Ponn

Banned
Amir0x said:
Each path should have presented a series of new challenges. Instead, it was all redundant and boring.

I'm sorry Amir0x, but really? Now you aren't even making sense. So you are suggesting take the major function of this puzzle, each cylinder corresponding with a different trap and having to place them in order to get through a hallway, and making that random essentially trashing the whole puzzle concept all together?

I get you don't like this game, but really stop while you're not totally under water now. You are starting to just rage unintelligently now.

RavenFox

Banned
Amir0x said:

Satan

Zobek thing

**/****
jeez Amirox what's your beef man? :). Something about this game really have you pacing the floor.

Amir0x

Banned
Ponn01 said:
I'm sorry Amir0x, but really? Now you aren't even making sense. So you are suggesting take the major function of this puzzle, each cylinder corresponding with a different trap and having to place them in order to get through a hallway, and making that random essentially trashing the whole puzzle concept all together?

I get you don't like this game, but really stop while you're ahead now. You are starting to just rage unintelligently now.

Ponn01, absurd and retarded :lol

No, no one is saying make it "random."

For example, purple could be a different type of blade dodging challenge each time, instead of literally copy-pasting the exact same one in a different location. Red could be a unique set of platforming challenges in each path, instead of copy pasting the exact same one. Green could be a different type of speed running challenge versus spikes, instead of copy pasting the exact same one.

The fact that your lack of imagination forces you to think of such boring, routine copy-pasting game design suggests....well it suggests you make games like MercurySteam.

RavenFox said:
jeez Amirox what's your beef man?

Bad games get critical responses, news at eleven?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Wow @ the continuing framerate wars.

The simple truth AFAIK is that the game's engine is unoptimized and combined with the many rough edges that are purely issues with a sheer lack of playability testing, screams this game was shoved out the door six months too soon. Should have been a spring 2011 title.

It's unacceptable, in the abstract, for a multi-million dollar game from a team that has the support of a huge publisher which has massive technical knowledge of the lead platform (MGS4/PS3) to run at less than 30fps for most of the game.

I think what screws this up with Lords of Shadow though is that it's so stupidly huge, that either side can find /an entire game's worth/ of sections that run okay, or run poorly. There's like two entire conventional current gen games' worth of content here. So depending on which sets of chapters you focus on, you see a game that is embarrassing, or a game that is acceptable though not exceptional.

However, due to the nature of this, this is one game where it is destined that a very large number of people will see the glass half empty and an equally large number will see it as half full.

Personally, I fully admonish the developers for the poor state of the game's engine, but admit it doesn't bother me most of the time. It is possible, ya know, to greatly disapprove of one aspect of a game but put that aside if you like other aspects. This game is causing a prosecution / defense force split that shouldn't be there.

Honestly, the greater concern with the game and what really hurts it as a game are all the poorly explained mechanics and poorly guided level segments. The lack of explanation of the stationary ground pound was mentioned above. But there's all sorts of sections in the game that thousands of people have gotten stuck with - not just one or two who are being slow on the uptake. Another great moment is a certain electrical puzzle where the game sets up a hanging wall jump off the hook chain, but expects you to /super wall jump/ by pressing square twice, even though this isn't required anywhere else and the game never tells you that you can boost your wall jumping hook swing by bouncing off a surface twice.

The general platforming in the same area is very poorly tested too, with edge grabbing turned off for moving platforms for no reason whatsoever.

Lord of Shadow truly is a game that is a lot more than the sum of its parts, despite being deeply flawed and shamefully unfinished in many places. Though in my personal opinion some people are allowing their bitterness over the controversy to make them overly sour towards many elements, such as the puzzles and the story. Which is what usually happens with a big game like this and especially on Teh GAF, so, "whatehva".

Amir0x

Banned
Kaijima said:
Though in my personal opinion some people are allowing their bitterness over the controversy to make them overly sour towards many elements, such as the puzzles and the story. Which is what usually happens with a big game like this and especially on Teh GAF, so, "whatehva".

I honestly would think the puzzles were kinda uninspired in any game. Many were modified or copied wholesale from other titles, or many felt completely out of place.

But it's the story most of all I can't understand praise for. The writing is all sorts of cheesy and over the top, the narration simply dry and poorly written (Stewart sounding even a bit bored as the game went on) and the finer details were devoid of a single creative bone in its body.

It seems MercurySteam had a checklist of mythological creatures they wanted to include, found arbitrary reasons to add them, and tied them together with a simple revenge plot which turned into a quest for self redemption. And the only real twist was easily seen from a mile away.

The coolest thing happened at the end of the credits, and by that time the game was over and we didn't get to actually experience the consequences of what it meant.

I don't think the controversy impacted my view at all. I was extremely pessimistic about VANQUISH before it came out, but then I played it and that evaporated. I'm honest and have no investment in pretending I didn't like something when I did.

Ponn

Banned
Amir0x said:
Ponn01, absurd and retarded :lol

No, no one is saying make it "random."

For example, purple could be a different type of blade dodging challenge each time, instead of literally copy-pasting the exact same one in a different location. Red could be a unique set of platforming challenges in each path, instead of copy pasting the exact same one. Green could be a different type of speed running challenge versus spikes, instead of copy pasting the exact same one.

The fact that your lack of imagination forces you to think of such boring, routine copy-pasting game design suggests....well it suggests you make games like MercurySteam.

Dude, there were only two of each, how much randomness are you looking for? These levels were broken up to be more of short bursts then long expeditions. This pacing of the chapters is probably one of my favorite things and any longer I feel would have been a detriment to the game pacing. How could you possibly be complaining that only two of the same traps in a simple Music Box puzzle designed around figuring out how to place the patterns in order is unimaginitive? You don't at all see how you may be trying to raise your standards a little bit too high for this game alone? It just is starting to really sound more like you are upset about the game not being what you imagined or wanted it to be then for what the game is and that just tends to cloud people's reasoning.

I just got done playing through God of War collection before playing this game and jesus, don't you dare complain about repetition and give those games a pass. How many freaking pillars was I dragging in that game. Or the Horse statue puzzle, I mean come on how repetitive was that. They were the same orbs just colored yellow, red, green and blue. And there was no difference getting to them, I just pulled a lever and had to swing on the same harpies to get to them.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Just finished the game today! I have some major issues with it (roll not having enough invincibility frames, dialogue is kinda wacky and the ending is BS) but overall I had a good time with it. I enjoyed it a hell of a lot more than Dante's Inferno, that's for sure. :lol

That level with the Lenses and gems pissed the shit out of me. I had two doors left, Purple and White, I KNEW whichever door I went through, I would miss out on the other room. I chose to go into purple because white seems to stand out from the rest, all of a sudden a cutscene.>FUCK OFF!!!. I'm not replaying that shit just to see what was behind the white door.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Amir0x said:
It seems MercurySteam had a checklist of mythological creatures they wanted to include, found arbitrary reasons to add them, and tied them together with a simple revenge plot which turned into a quest for self redemption. And the only real twist was easily seen from a mile away.

You know, all I will say for now is that this sounds like an indictment of Symphony of the Night :lol

Perhaps the plot doesn't seem as awful to some because it's actually fleshed out and well-acted by the standards of the Castlevania series itself ;)

Amir0x

Banned
Kaijima said:
You know, all I will say for now is that this sounds like an indictment of Symphony of the Night :lol

Perhaps the plot doesn't seem as awful to some because it's actually fleshed out and well-acted by the standards of the Castlevania series itself ;)

Yes but the difference is in Symphony the plot is background noise, in Castlevania: LoS the plot keeps inserting its lame self every few minutes >_<

All Amir0x is looking for is people to acknowledge that the game has framerate issues. It's clearly driving him batshit insane, but even I, a huge admirer of the game, wish it ran just a bit better. I made some dumb comments in defense of it, and while I do think that a "grittier" game like this shouldn't necessarily have to run at a butter smooth 60fps, I get that there are other ways to propose a gritty atmosphere than a lower framerate.

Amir0x doesn't care if you like the game or not, in fact on many occasions he's fully stated that there is a lot to love about the game and that it isn't unreasonable to personally think it's a fantastic game. This isn't me sucking up or anything as I don't feel a need to do something like that, but through these discussions I think I've become a more self-aware gamer to such issues. It didn't stop me from loving the game to pieces but I do hope next time that the engine is far more stable.

Vanquish is a good example. I find that the game has a gritty atmosphere about it but it runs a lot better than Castlevania does. It needs to, too, as the game is a lot more fast-paced whereas Castlevania's gameplay is slower, but after these discussions and playing a majority of Vanquish, I do agree that CV would have benefit from a more stable framerate. Thing is, I like Castlevania a lot more. Vanquish is awesome and one of the best action games I've ever played, but I prefer Castlevania's style, atmosphere, music, and many other aspects which I find personally more intriguing. Sometimes that's enough to allow one to prefer one product over the other and I don't think Ami is condemning anyone for believing this.

The Silent Hill games, and the Resident Evil games (before RE4 anyway) have what I'd call "bad" gameplay, in that the controls aren't that good and there's no depth at all to the gameplay, but it's the experience that makes them fantastic games. For me, Castlevania is on this page, except without the bad gameplay found in those. I realize that combat is a big deal in CV, but I had a great experience playing through the journey itself and seeing the awesome art direction and exploring all the environments-- that, to me, can be even more important than fantastic gameplay and amazing technical points.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Baloonatic said:
Well what Amir0x is saying is that if you don't notice the framerate dips in this game then you don't notice framerate dips full stop. I understand that some people could become conditioned to the 24fps after playing for a while (I guess) but if you don't notice the dips that are easily sub-20fps then you just aren't the sort of person who notices them at all.
I guess that must be it then, like I said
I noticed the dips in Enslaved & Assassin's Creed 1 & 2, but while I'm sure it's there, I just don't notice it in Castlevania

jett

D-Member
I can almost understand the uneven performance considering this is an original in-house multiplatform engine from a small-ish developer that was completely inexperienced with both platforms. And that the game is hugely ambitious, despite all its shortcomings. From that angle it's almost understandable. What I can't understand are two technical issues that shouldn't exist in the PS3 version: No anti-aliasing of any kind when Sony has made MLAA available to everyone on the SDK(and has a negligible impact on performance), and the use of Bink-encoded videos, videos that have the same compression as the format-challenged 360 version. Seems like they went above and beyond the call of duty in their objective of console parity, to the detriment of some of us. :p

Last thing on the framerate, I think the issue is also exacerbated by the constantly jittering, shaking camera(a BAFFLING artistic/design choice) and the non-capped framerate: whenever you play a game at a high framerate and your eyes get used to it, even if it's just for a few minutes, the moment you go back to 30fps~ it looks like slideshow in comparison.

All this crap aside, the more I play the game, the more I appreciate the combat system they've built. After a brief re-play of GOW3, I can safely say that LoS is much closer to DMC than it is to GOW. There's so much more variety in the move list, despite having only one weapon. One of the things I love is how you initiate air-juggling, it's just so natural and intuitive. The combat really a lot of fun. I hope the game is a success and a sequel gets made, because if they manage to fix all the several, small-ish issues the game has it could truly be something special.

Oh and I just found that Gabriel performs a secondary, different QTE kill for reach monster if you're holding a the analog stick in any direction. Neat.

schennmu said:

:lol I was looking for this.

"Kojima is a fucking cocksucker!"

I blame a lot of LoS's niggling issues on poor testing.

Hyphen

Noisepurge said:
la la la la not hearing any bad things! :D 6 days until the collectors edition supposedly arrives..

THE FOLLOWING CONTAINS NO SPOILERS...

I cancelled my UK 'Game Exclusive' collectors edition. I couldn't handle waiting another week. I bought the regular edition on Friday evening (22nd). But after getting up to the start of Chapter VII, I may just end up getting it if I have the money (doubt it though). Reason being is that I really do love this game! I'm a 3rd person adventure fan. Plus, I go crazy for any 'sword & sorcery' or 'fantasy' settings, so this was always going to be right up my street.

Having never owned a NES, SNES, PS1, DS etc., I have no idea if this is a worthy addition to the Castlevania game line. Nevertheless, I have thoroughly enjoyed my journey so far. So much so that I'm taken my time through the game - I started on Knight difficulty, and I'm even letting Gabriel 'walk' through the stages instead of running. Ensuring I take every last detail in, because I do feel that the visuals are worthy of gaze.

I'm dreading completing this, but my enjoyment forces me onwards. I swear, I'm like a little kid at Christmas whilst playing. That's the feeling I get from Lords of Shadow. The only other PS3 game that has made me feel this way is Uncharted 2: Among Thieves.

I really wish I had gone on a total media blackout for this, and even stayed away from this thread, because I'm sure I could love this game even more. In fact, I've decided - As soon as there's offcial signs of the next iterations of PS3 Castlevania and Uncharted, I'm staying away from all game sites/forums.

Amir0x said:

While originally annoyed by this, in retrospect, I kind of like it.
It's much better than the hand-holding sections of other games where you don't really have anything to risk. You want to check for a secret and you repel too low? There goes a chunk of your health bar. Hope you're good enough at combat to get it back with light magic, buddy. :lol

corrosivefrost said:
While originally annoyed by this, in retrospect, I kind of like it.
It's much better than the hand-holding sections of other games where you don't really have anything to risk. You want to check for a secret and you repel too low? There goes a chunk of your health bar. Hope you're good enough at combat to get it back with light magic, buddy. :lol

But the game is almost extremely hand holdy everywhere else during platforming sequences.

Maffis

Lion Heart said:
That level with the Lenses and gems pissed the shit out of me. I had two doors left, Purple and White, I KNEW whichever door I went through, I would miss out on the other room. I chose to go into purple because white seems to stand out from the rest, all of a sudden a cutscene.>FUCK OFF!!!. I'm not replaying that shit just to see what was behind the white door.

I got into the same situation, but I got lucky :D

zafarsaand

Neo Member
i am in chapter nine and finished first level and when i try to load second level, it loads properly but gabriel wont move and none of the button show any response. only menu works. anyone else facing this problem. how can i fix it? i am using xbox version.

Top Bottom