• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow |OT| The MercurySteam has Vanquished the Horrible Night

Just wanted to say that while I acknowledge that some people can detect a framerate problem with this game, I personally cannot. This is coming from someone who:

a) is a trained artist. I paint from observation 2-5 hours per day. This forces me to see things most people cannot.

b) has been gaming since 1984. I have experienced a wide variety of games on a multitude of systems.

I am not saying that this qualifies me to detect framerate issues. I am just suggesting that if I cannot see any major problem, then chances are other people will not notice either, and therefore should not let this "problem" affect their decision to purchase this game. To me, the framerate is a complete non-issue, and I am willing to wager that many other people will feel the same way.

dankir

Enough with the framerate bitching.... anyways this game rocks! So so SO epic man! The music, the visuals, voice acting, etc.

Yeah the framerate is pretty random at times but whatever, hasn't affected my experience with the game.

I was really worried about the fighting at the beginning, it was too slow and not very interesting. But now with the magic powers and the dark lords "accessories" combat is really opening up. Just got the Seraph Wings and makes the combat pretty damn varied and fucks shit up too!

Baba Yaga's hut/ house interior is one of the most beautiful environments I've ever seen in a video game. The clarity and the detail, just flat out amazing! That level Woes Moor or whatever really really pretty as well.

Just got to Chapter 10, man this game is so good!

GOOD stuff Konami!!

jett

D-Member
zafarsaand said:
i am in chapter nine and finished first level and when i try to load second level, it loads properly but gabriel wont move and none of the button show any response. only menu works. anyone else facing this problem. how can i fix it? i am using xbox version.

Try loading another level see if your controller works there. If not, recharge/reconnect your controller, try a different controler, reboot your xbox. If it works on other levels i suggest redoing the last level you completed.

Finally done. Platinum trophy in about 27 hours.

Still really liked it, but some of those trials really highlight the problems with this game.

Like they had to realize their boss mechanic in 7-2 sucked, so why on earth would you base the trial on it?

A week or so on from finishing, I feel like this may be my runner up for GOTY.

It's not a Starcraft 2 or Civ V type of game of variety or longevity, but it was a hell of a lot of fun for a Castlevania lover, and the only other game this year that I've come away from so in love with is Mass Effect 2. God, I hope it sells well enough for this branch of the series to continue on.

/blog

MacBosse

Seems some posters in here are really going out of their way to knock down on this game.

Shame if anyone decides not to buy from this bullshit.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
MacBosse said:
Seems some posters in here are really going out of their way to knock down on this game.

Shame if anyone decides not to buy from this bullshit.

Nah, this thread is just a relaxed decompression session from the Metroid: Other M OT.

Now THAT was a thrill ride.

o/~ Gonna take you for a ride o/~

Sidzed2

More details have emerged about the game's planned DLC.

Producer David Cox has recently spilled some proverbial beans on his official twitter account, and in answering a fan's question about the date and content of the game's planned downloadable content, he had this to say:

'[There is] no firm date but Gabriel will return to the Castle and Laura will also return.'

I just got the game and played the first two levels or so, my first thoughts are that I really hope the levels open out or something like Castlevania 64, because so far I have just been led along fixed paths featuring a lot of cliches... And I don't like Devil May Cry to start with.

The graphics are awesome though, the movies are very similar to The Witcher.

PumpkinPie said:
I just got the game and played the first two levels or so, my first thoughts are that I really hope the levels open out or something like Castlevania 64, because so far I have just been led along fixed paths featuring a lot of cliches... And I don't like Devil May Cry to start with.

The graphics are awesome though, the movies are very similar to The Witcher.

Sorry to say, but the levels remain pretty linear throughout. The game does start to get better after the first few chapters, however.

zafarsaand

Neo Member
jett said:
Try loading another level see if your controller works there. If not, recharge/reconnect your controller, try a different controler, reboot your xbox. If it works on other levels i suggest redoing the last level you completed.
i have tried loading previous levels and it loads with out any problem and i have tried changing controller as well but no luck.

Footos22

Platinum in 32 hours, no guides

Loved every minute of it.
Paladin difficulty is astoningishly easy if you have already collected all the gems
Ultimate light magic ftw for a quick 3 second full health fix. That and i was pretty awesome at comboing by then.

I thought id have major problems on the chapter 3 boss after knight difficulty fucked me up but he fell in a few minutes. Didnt even get hit

Anyway traded this in on Sat to gamestation, found out its only £22 new at the moment and got £15 for it
Lame!

Got Vanquish now though and my eyes and ears are actually bleeding from the awesome

Tonza

Went and bought this from a local store last friday since my Zavvi order is probably at the bottom of the ocean.

Just finished the third chapter and Im really liking the game. Combat system more in-depth than I anticipated based on the demo which is great.
Framerate is hitchy at times but it hasn't hindered the gameplay yet. The camera is a bigger problem at times. Trying to dodge out of view enemies is a pain.

Compared to Enslaved which I completed before this, the combat system just feels so much better. (though they are pretty different kinds of games)

Will be playing more when I have the time.

Oneself

As much as I'd like to ignore the frame rate discussions.. I'm just amazed at how many people can't see shit :lol
Smoother parts of the game look & play so much better than the rest, I would have thought anybody could see that.

jett

D-Member
Oneself said:
As much as I'd like to ignore the frame rate discussions.. I'm just amazed at how many people can't see shit :lol
Smoother parts of the game look & play so much better than the rest, I would have thought anybody could see that.

Cognitive dissonance is a powerful thang.

Reknoc

Punching these buttons would be so much easier if Gabriel didn't decide to roll if you so much as breath on the analog stick.

When did Gabriel become Zobek's old friend exactly? They've met each other like twice. Though I guess he is a stalker.

JohngPR

As much as I've enjoyed Castlevania so far, Chapter 7 is a royal pain in the ass. I hate
the grim reaper dudes that have a sword.

I don't know what it is about them, I just can't pick up on their attack well enough to counter it every time and their attacks take like 1/4 of your health. :-/

Also, punching the buttons with the earthquake punch is a horrible mechanic. It would have been made a lot easier if he punched in the direction he is facing, but he doesn't.

Reknoc

JohngPR said:
As much as I've enjoyed Castlevania so far, Chapter 7 is a royal pain in the ass. I hate

I don't know what it is about them, I just can't pick up on their attack well enough to counter it every time and their attacks take like 1/4 of your health. :-/

I hate those guys a bunch aswell, if I see more tha one I'm breaking a crystal. Fairys work well against them also.

JohngPR said:
Also, punching the buttons with the earthquake punch is a horrible mechanic. It would have been made a lot easier if he punched in the direction he is facing, but he doesn't.
?

As long as you're on top of it you shouldn't miss.

jett

D-Member
JohngPR said:

Grab them in the air, juggle endlessly, they'll die soon.

JohngPR

Reknoc said:
I hate those guys a bunch aswell, if I see more tha one I'm breaking a crystal. Fairys work well against them also.

?

As long as you're on top of it you shouldn't miss.

Yea, I figured out the fairy tactic later on after I started getting desperate. lol

When I do an Earthquake punch he slightly tilts to one side and misses it if I'm directiy under it. I'm not pressing the LS or anything, it's very annoying because it makes hitting those buttons guess work. :|

jett said:
Grab them in the air, juggle endlessly, they'll die soon.

I will make sure to try that next time I face them, thanks.

JohngPR said:

The move where you pull enemies into the air works amazingly well. I think it's like triangle, jump triangle. Once you are in the air you can just juggle kill them down to zero health. Don't know if that helps.

edit: beaten

Maffis

What jackass decided that L2 + square should be that slow-ass punch? I always accidentally do that combo when I just want to let go of block and attack fast. It's driving me insane.

Spiegel

JohngPR said:
When I do an Earthquake punch he slightly tilts to one side and misses it if I'm directiy under it. I'm not pressing the LS or anything, it's very annoying because it makes hitting those buttons guess work. :|

You have to use L2/LT+Triangle/Y.

jett

D-Member
Maffis said:
What jackass decided that L2 + square should be that slow-ass punch? I always accidentally do that combo when I just want to let go of block and attack fast. It's driving me insane.

Never had that happen to me. Learn to parry instead of randomly blocking.

Maffis

jett said:
Never had that happen to me. Learn to parry instead of randomly blocking.

I've beaten half the game on paladin already. I think I know how to play this game.

But L2 is super sensitive. I'm letting the button go and hit square fast, but apparently that's too fast :/

jett

D-Member
Maffis said:
I've beaten half the game on paladin already. I think I know how to play this game.

But L2 is super sensitive. I'm letting the button go and hit square fast, but apparently that's too fast :/

Hmm your L2 button might be fucked, have you checked to see if it resets properly to its default position when you let go of it?

JohngPR

Spiegel said:
You have to use L2/LT+Triangle/Y.

LOL! I've been using L2 and Square....now I feel dumb. :p

I guess that's what happens when you buy Fallout New Vegas and don't play Castlevania for a week...you forget your move set. LOL

A friend of mine got to chapter II, lost to the end boss a few times, got annoyed, called the game a God of War Clone, and sent it back to Gamefly. :-/

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Fallout has been keeping me from getting 1000/Plat. but I did want to ask if I HAD to do the trials on Paladin difficulty to get the final achievement? Or could I just beat the levels on Paladin and then do the trials on a lesser setting?

NeoUltima

Brandon F said:
Fallout has been keeping me from getting 1000/Plat. but I did want to ask if I HAD to do the trials on Paladin difficulty to get the final achievement? Or could I just beat the levels on Paladin and then do the trials on a lesser setting?
Yes

Foffy

Banned
Sidzed2 said:
More details have emerged about the game's planned DLC.

Producer David Cox has recently spilled some proverbial beans on his official twitter account, and in answering a fan's question about the date and content of the game's planned downloadable content, he had this to say:

'[There is] no firm date but Gabriel will return to the Castle and Laura will also return.'

It's a good time to be a 'vania fan. Lords of Shadow DLC, Harmony of Despair DLC, and the Simon's Quest fan remake all on the horizon is an exciting time.

Retro

Foffy said:
It's a good time to be a 'vania fan. Lords of Shadow DLC, Harmony of Despair DLC, and the Simon's Quest fan remake all on the horizon is an exciting time.

Come again? Haven't heard of this before and Simon's Quest is one of my favorites in the series.

Foffy

Banned
Retro said:
Come again? Haven't heard of this before and Simon's Quest is one of my favorites in the series.

I think posting links about it is a bit much, but I think telling you about it suffices. A group of ROM hackers are hacking and redoing everything about the original game, from music to sprites to relics in the game, as well as the game actually having boss fights.

Here's some examples of the prototype in progress.

I could post some songs for the game, if you're interested.

Foffy said:
I think posting links about it is a bit much, but I think telling you about it suffices. A group of ROM hackers are hacking and redoing everything about the original game, from music to sprites to relics in the game, as well as the game actually having boss fights.

I have shit running down my legs. Just saying. If this turns out good, holy fuck.

Foffy

Banned
brandonh83 said:
I have shit running down my legs. Just saying. If this turns out good, holy fuck.

I now feel inclined to post the current songs for the game. I suggest you get a bucket, because you'll soon have a fountain of feces to deal with.

Reincarnated Soul - From Castlevania Bloodlines
Lavish Empire - Original Song
Battle of the Holy - From Castlevania The Adventure
Wallachia - Original Song
New Messiah - From Castlevania Belmont's Revenge
Cross Your Heart - From Haunted Castle
Devil's Workshop - Original Song
Gears Go Awry - From Castlevania Portrait of Ruin
Aljiba - Original Song

Bloody Tears and Heart of Fire both will be in the hack, too. There will also probably be more songs.

And to put your fears at rest, the main people involved in this game made Dragoon X Omega II, probably the most original game hack based on NES hardware. It's a hack of Final Fantasy, and it's sort of hard to notice that.

Retro

Foffy said:

Here's some examples of the prototype in progress.

I could post some songs for the game, if you're interested.

Nice, at first the changed music was a little irritating since I'm used to the original soundtrack, but that's really nice. Not a fan of the sped-up version of Reincarnated Soul being used during night in the woods, but that's a really good music choice... just not that version.

Very nice visuals though, and if they can make the puzzles less obscure, the day/night shift less obnoxious, and add real bosses... well... very nice.

I actually placed second in a design challenge rebooting Simon's Quest as a "Survival Horror Sidescroller", which curious individuals can read here: http://level-1-design.blogspot.com/2010/02/reinvention-simons-quest.html

Would love to see something like that made reality.

RavenFox

Banned
noire said:
Nope. Got my save game wiped out yesterday. Just after the butcher.
Did you not hear to backup your save? Or is this your first time knowing about this glitch?
brandonh83 said:
Ok, what is this remake that you speak of?

RavenFox

Banned
Maffis said:
Why can't you just put in a USB and save to it? It takes 10 seconds to do. Sure, you can wait for a patch, but that patch might never come.
Narayan is a cool dude but his tag gave him up today. lol

Aeana

So wait, he's stupid because he doesn't want to have to do something he shouldn't have to do to play a game comfortably? An action that forgetting to do just once will set one back several hours of play at minimum?

I just can't believe a conversation plays out this way "awww man, I lost my save." "LOL IDIOT didnt u back up ur save rofl. moran." Some people here will apologize for anything.

Maffis said:
Why can't you just put in a USB and save to it? It takes 10 seconds to do. Sure, you can wait for a patch, but that patch might never come.

The problem I have with that is that won't you not know the save file is corrupt until you go back to load it? If you quit out and then save to a USB key or another profile, you may have just overwrote your previous good save with a corrupt one, right?

Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle up in this bitch.

Top Bottom